PDA

View Full Version : Heathkit: It's alive, it's alive, it's ALIVE!

NQ6U
12-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Got this via e-mail today:

Dear Heathkit Insider,

Thank you for completing the Heathkit survey.
You now are a member of the Heathkit Insiders mailing list.

We appreciate the time you spent telling us what is important to you. We are listening. And we are reading---every single survey response is being read by at least one member of Heath Company's Board of Directors.

Many thousands of you wrote to tell us personal stories about your Heathkit experience and your hopes for us. We want you to know that we appreciate your well wishes, and we are working hard to bring this great company back.

We have published Frequently Asked Questions (and answers) on the heathkit.com website. This will answer many questions that you and other loyal Heathkit fans have been asking. Just visit

http://www.heathkit.com/heathkit-faq.html

We have been working hard, and mostly quietly, for many months to define new products for you. From time to time, we will send out brief updates to you.

If you are a Facebook user, a good way to stay up-to-date is to join our Facebook page and "Like" us:

http://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

Click the "Like" button on that page to receive notices whenever we publish Facebook updates. (We also will send occasional email messages, for those of you who do not use Facebook.)

__________________________________________________ __

Later this week there will be a special "Ask Me Anything" event on Reddit.com where a member of Heathkit's Board of Directors will be available for an hour to chat live and answer questions about our progress and plans.

On Friday 20-Dec-2013 at 8pm EST / 5pm PST (which is Saturday 21-Dec 0100 UTC), please join us at
http://www.reddit.com/user/HeathCompany/submitted

When the event starts, a link to it will appear at the top of that page.

(Please remember Reddit is an open, unmoderated public Internet forum -- we do not control who participates or what anyone else says in that public location. The usual Internet etiquette and safety rules apply.)
__________________________________________________ __

We're thankful for your patience and enthusiasm. And we look forward to seeing you on Reddit this Friday evening.

Sincerely,

The Heathkit Management Team

K7SGJ
12-18-2013, 10:38 AM
I got one of those, too. I hope they can pull off the resurrection.

PA5COR
12-18-2013, 10:46 AM
With the load of appliance operators i have my doubts.
37 years back i build most of my stuff because i could and it was cheaper to do, and i could make it as i wanted to have it.

Nowadays many just get their license by memorising the Q&A's and have no clue how a soldering iron looks let alone several parts.
I commend them for trying though...

WØTKX
12-18-2013, 01:12 PM
They need competition. Eico, anyone?

KJ3N
12-18-2013, 02:23 PM
No offense, but I'll wait to see actual product before I become remotely excited. Their FAQ is short on tangibles, IMHO.

KG4NEL
12-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Nowadays many just get their license by memorising the Q&A's and have no clue how a soldering iron looks let alone several parts.

With the "maker" thing going on, I think there's a market for it. I know they aren't betting the farm on it, but Ten Tec did release a CW-only kit to a land of supposedly appliance ops and no-coders :D

Will be interesting to see how they market themselves, both to the generation that remembers what they were, and to people my age that have no memories of the old Heath at all.

NQ6U
12-18-2013, 04:38 PM
They need competition. Eico, anyone?

Knight-Kit.

And, yeah, I'm not going to get excited until I see an actual product either but it's nice to to know that there is someone at least attempting to resurrect the company that most of us thought was dead and gone. And the fact that that someone is a group of ham radio ops sure doesn't hurt.

KG4CGC
12-18-2013, 05:06 PM
I got one too. It was a hoax.
There is no Heath Company. It's a phishing scam. :shifty:

KG4CGC
12-18-2013, 05:20 PM
I'm kidding.

XE1/N5AL
12-18-2013, 07:20 PM
There is no Heath Company. It's a phishing scam. :shifty:

n2ize
12-19-2013, 10:44 AM
With the load of appliance operators i have my doubts.
37 years back i build most of my stuff because i could and it was cheaper to do, and i could make it as i wanted to have it.

I commend them for trying though...

An appliance operator took a look at a few of my old transmitters and admitted that he wouldn't have the vaguest idea as to how to operate them.

n6hcm
12-20-2013, 09:13 PM
With the "maker" thing going on, I think there's a market for it. I know they aren't betting the farm on it, but Ten Tec did release a CW-only kit to a land of supposedly appliance ops and no-coders :D

i agree--the rise of maker culture is good for this sort of thing. however, the hipsters attracted to maker culture will see this and run because it will actually require skill to complete. it's not like a raspberry pi which is largely a plug-n-play exercise.

K7SGJ
12-20-2013, 09:26 PM
i agree--the rise of maker culture is good for this sort of thing. however, the hipsters attracted to maker culture will see this and run because it will actually require skill to complete. it's not like a raspberry pi which is largely a plug-n-play exercise.

Which is, sadly, why the day of the kit is pretty much dead. At least the kits that require some skill, and a lot of time to complete. Very few seem to be willing to spend the amount of time necessary to build a TV, or transceiver, or any thing else that has a box full of components and hardware.

KG4NEL
12-21-2013, 12:27 PM
Which is, sadly, why the day of the kit is pretty much dead. At least the kits that require some skill, and a lot of time to complete. Very few seem to be willing to spend the amount of time necessary to build a TV, or transceiver, or any thing else that has a box full of components and hardware.

There has to be a value proposition there. In ancient times (:mrgreen:) you could kit a commercially-viable product because the pre-built version was fairly pricey. The trend of incredibly complex (to DIY) and incredible economies of scale killed that.

Now, I think it's more in support of products that may not be viable as pre-built items, but can survive as kits in the product line. I've seen it in high-end audio...although there people will pay four to five figures for the pretty-box version anyway :-p

NQ6U
12-21-2013, 12:35 PM
For those who are interested, there was a question and answer session with one of the Heath Company board member held on Reddit yesterday evening. Some of the answers were pretty interesting. You can read the whole thing here (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1td554/iama_member_of_the_heath_company_heathkit_board/).

KJ3N
12-21-2013, 01:29 PM
This post pretty much sums my feelings:

This has been a waste of my time. Nothing firm, no introduction of principals, or what kits are currently in development. I have seen nothing that gives me any confidence that this will ever get off the ground. Please prove me wrong. Season's Greetings to all. W0DF

Again, short on tangibles, IMHO. Time will tell.....

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 02:05 PM
This post pretty much sums my feelings:

Again, short on tangibles, IMHO. Time will tell.....

Yeah, but it is nice to see how good the shit is that others are smoking.

KJ3N
12-21-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, but it is nice to see how good the shit is that others are smoking.

:rofl:

K0RGR
12-21-2013, 06:00 PM
We shall see... it would be great for them to start off with tools to allow anybody to do SMT - including those of us who can't see stuff that small anymore. I have a nice video assembly scope that I think will do a nice job when I get around to doing SMT. But it would be nice to have a dedicated oven for solder reflow work, and a hot air gun for doing smaller areas.

I think if they modernized the SB200 or 220, or the HW-101, they would all be hits.

KG4CGC
12-21-2013, 06:19 PM
We shall see... it would be great for them to start off with tools to allow anybody to do SMT - including those of us who can't see stuff that small anymore. I have a nice video assembly scope that I think will do a nice job when I get around to doing SMT. But it would be nice to have a dedicated oven for solder reflow work, and a hot air gun for doing smaller areas.

I think if they modernized the SB200 or 220, or the HW-101, they would all be hits.
Affordability. Is SMT work gear still hi dollah?

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 06:24 PM

I don't think a lot of people would want to invest the kind of money necessary for those kind of specialized tools. Especially if they only build an occasional kit. I know Fred has a fair amount of Pace Equipment, as do I, suitable for SMT work, but in my case, it is necessary for the rework I do. And, Pace stuff isn't cheap, but it is very good and very versatile with many tips and options available. When you consider just the number of tips required for all the different packages and pitches of discreet as well as active devices, it becomes a very substantial investment. Perhaps, if Heathkit gets rolling again, maybe they can address the situation, but if there is a lot of diversity in their SMT kits, I don't see how their customers can avoid a sizable investment in specialty tools. And, with the old kits, ESD wasn't much of an issue, whereas newer devices are very susceptible to this kind of damage. As a result, an ESD safe environment is absolutely essential. Now there is an investment in ESD safe tools, mats, wrist straps, and on it goes.

I hope they can offer enough variety in skill levels and diversity in kit selection to make a go of it. I will be most interested to see how this all develops.

KG4CGC
12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm still stuck in the past on this matter. The Ten Tec of the era of the Corsair was light years ahead of their competition albeit, old school construction.

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 06:40 PM
I'm still stuck in the past on this matter. The Ten Tec of the era of the Corsair was light years ahead of their competition albeit, old school construction.

Old things are often superior to newer things, I just happen to be one of those older things.

KG4CGC
12-21-2013, 06:41 PM
Old things are often superior to newer things, I just happen to be one of those older things.

Liver spots and all.

K7SGJ
12-21-2013, 06:44 PM
Liver spots and all.

I like to think of them as longevity awards.

KG4CGC
12-21-2013, 07:01 PM
I like to think of them as longevity awards.

Battle Medals.

n6hcm
12-22-2013, 05:30 AM
what really stinks: the internet is polluted with enough references to "heathkit" and "heath company" that it's difficult to see who "heath company" really is now. of course, there's also no central place on the public internet to search us corporations and llcs ...

WØTKX
12-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Yes it is, however these two links may be helpful...

https://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

wa6mhz
12-22-2013, 01:22 PM
I have no problem with SMT parts as that is what I do every day here at work. But it is not suitable for the average Ham who has his fill with THROUGH HOLE parts! The problem is the industry is making most of the parts SMT and Through Hole is becoming Obsolete. As a Manufacturer of radio equipment, I see many parts come and go quickly, especially specialized ICs. Most of the TTL and CMOS ICs so prevalent during the 70s and 80s are now only available at Surplus Stores. When they are depleted, it is pretty much a big problem

SO for Heathkit to be successful, they need to design the products with parts that ARE and WILL BE Available for some time to come. But they do need to stick with THROUGH HOLE as most Hams just cannot cope with fine pitch SMT ICs and small Res/Caps. 1206 size might be OK though. They are very easy. But lotsa Luck on soldering 402 sized parts for newcomers!

I am ready to buy any new Heathkits as soon as they come out, just for the PLEASURE of building them. I don't really NEED the product, it is just so much FUN to build them!

KC9ECI
12-22-2013, 03:39 PM
For those who are interested, there was a question and answer session with one of the Heath Company board member held on Reddit yesterday evening. Some of the answers were pretty interesting. You can read the whole thing here (http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1td554/iama_member_of_the_heath_company_heathkit_board/).

Was watching that as it was going on. The only thing that I know about the new HK that I didn't know before is that they think highly of themselves.

WØTKX
12-22-2013, 03:40 PM
It's not easy being green. ;)

NQ6U
12-22-2013, 05:38 PM
Was watching that as it was going on. The only thing that I know about the new HK that I didn't know before is that they think highly of themselves.

Funny thing; it was pretty clear to me that the first amateur radio kit they intend to produce is an SDR

KG4CGC
12-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Funny thing; it was pretty clear to me that the first amateur radio kit they intend to produce is an SDR

Now I'm thinking IKEA. A flat box comes to your door. You assemble it with wrenches and a screwdriver. Tab A slot B.

KJ3N
12-22-2013, 06:16 PM
Now I'm thinking IKEA. A flat box comes to your door. You assemble it with wrenches and a screwdriver. Tab A slot B.

That's Elecraft. ;)

KG4CGC
12-22-2013, 06:35 PM
That's Elecraft. ;)

Mmmm Hmmm.

K7SGJ
12-22-2013, 07:24 PM

That's what I pulled out of it, too, at least for a little more advanced kit. It seemed to come up a lot. I imagine they will have to have a fair amount of simple, entry level kits to entice hams or others that have never built anything. I suppose they will probably have the same problems the original company had with people who can't follow directions. Plus, I would imagine a lot of "newbies" will have no idea how destructive the effects of ESD can be. and wonder what the company policy will be regarding the sensitive devices that get zapped. At least thru hole stuff was a bit more forgiving.

KC9ECI
12-22-2013, 07:27 PM

I'll have to go back and read some more, last time I looked it was a lot of 'who are you' 'we're too famous to tell you' kind of stuff.

NQ6U
12-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I'll have to go back and read some more, last time I looked it was a lot of 'who are you' 'we're too famous to tell you' kind of stuff.

Well, there was that too.

n6hcm
12-22-2013, 08:56 PM
Yes it is, however these two links may be helpful...

https://www.facebook.com/heathcompany

sadly, they're not--they are just as non-transparent as the reddit discussion.

kb2vxa
12-24-2013, 05:37 AM
"I suppose they will probably have the same problems the original company had with people who can't follow directions."

That reminds me of a recent thread with pictures of a board that was assembled with a sledgehammer and soldered with a flamethrower.

W5BRM
12-24-2013, 10:29 AM
That reminds me of a recent thread with pictures of a board that was assembled with a sledgehammer and soldered with a flamethrower.

How about DESOLDERING?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRDKsKMoxuQ

About the 2:20 mark...LOL

wa6mhz
12-24-2013, 11:09 AM
We remove large parts like connectors all the time here at work. The trick is to use a HOT AIR gun, which has a high velocity tip blowing extreme heated air in a pinpoint area. This is used to also remove ICs with no damage to the leads or traces. For an IC, you quickly rotate the hot air round and round the IC Pads and it quickly comes off undamaged and ready for replacement. Works on connectors too, but takes a little longer. The KEY is to remove the parts with NO DAMAGE to the PCB or the part, and not overtemp the part so it can be used again. I am sure most of the parts blasted with the blowtorch will be toast, and the PCB is forever gone!

kb2vxa
12-24-2013, 08:15 PM
Ah, never mind the hot meat gun, as seen in the video a profane torch works better, crapp gas better yet and for those particularly difficult jobs an ox-acetylene torch is best. For bulk deslobbering a P&W JT-15 with the afterburner on is the weapon of choice. Sorry Rudy, your pink APU just doesn't develop enough heat.

Then a hot meat gun is the weapon of choice for discouraging a hot tuna pest, the company will go unnamed to save a bit of honor (if they have any) considering how they farked up the Alaska Pipeline control and telemetry equipment job I worked on at the time. Sitting at a long bench elbow to elbow, wiremen as we were called first made up the harnesses we later installed in the equipment cabinets, we had this sexpot pest wearing a miniskirt and black pantyhose to accent her legs up to THERE who came around looking over our shoulders purring and cooing trying to get a "rise" out of us. Under other circumstances she wouldn't have been a problem, but while trying to concentrate on an exacting job she was more of an annoying distraction than anything else so I realizing the job takes priority over flirting decided to get rid of her. Between us on the floor were our high temperature meat guns with nozzles pointed up, suddenly an idea hit me... MUAHAHAHAAA. Before hitting the idea back I noticed she was standing astride my meat gun, her back to me, so I reached over with my foot and flipped the switch. It sprang to life and so did she, with a loud yelp like a wounded (insert name for a female dog here) and that surprised deer in the headlights look she bolted for the bathroom to survey the damage and remove melted nylon from her (insert name for furry, flat tailed critter here). We still saw her around but she avoided the bench from that day onward, gee, I wonder why.

There you have it, meat guns have yet another purpose in addition to slobbering, deslobbering and setting meat shrink tubing. (;->)

Oh, to tie the ribbons on the story, the company used their own color code. Installation went like a well oiled machine, but when maintenance time came around repair technicians used to the international standard IEC 60062 code couldn't figure the mess out. Every bit of equipment was ripped out, scrapped, and replaced, the legal settlement nearly put them out of business but they survived somehow. I'll give you a clue of sorts, they're a lesser known manufacturer of high power shortwave transmitters, lesser known for reasons not all that hard to figure out. (;->)

KG4NEL
12-24-2013, 09:04 PM
Switch heater?

I remember a railfan photographer of mine sharing a pic of a propane truck on a flatbed, portable fuel source for the switch heaters that weren't electrified...

kb2vxa
12-25-2013, 01:53 AM
No, a mobile de-icer used to thaw switches where the heaters get overloaded, the latest innovation in flamethrowers on wheels. Railroads get obsolete jet engines from the bone yard that otherwise would be scrapped. In place heaters used to burn kerosene, messy, and required frequent cleaning, now they're either gas or electric. This reminds me of weed burners that gave way to far less dangerous sickle bars. I remember some years ago the CNJ burner started a brush fire in Cranford, NJ that engulfed a warehouse, that was the end of the burner.

Clearly this is NOT how to use a weed burner!

N8YX
12-26-2013, 12:27 PM
We remove large parts like connectors all the time here at work. The trick is to use a HOT AIR gun, which has a high velocity tip blowing extreme heated air in a pinpoint area. This is used to also remove ICs with no damage to the leads or traces. For an IC, you quickly rotate the hot air round and round the IC Pads and it quickly comes off undamaged and ready for replacement. Works on connectors too, but takes a little longer. The KEY is to remove the parts with NO DAMAGE to the PCB or the part, and not overtemp the part so it can be used again. I am sure most of the parts blasted with the blowtorch will be toast, and the PCB is forever gone!

In the Tek test-equipment threads I started you'll note that many of the plugins I get are in need of repair.

A lot of the boards used therein are multi-layer. One simply is not going to remove a DIP via solder wick and iron without damaging the board, and one isn't going to use a squeeze-bulb desoldering iron or Sodapult tool to remove said devices without destroying them as well.

Pace, Metcal, JBC, Etneo - any of these systems will rework a difficult PCB without destroying the board or attached components in the process. The hobbyist might look at Hakko or the Weller WS3xxx series...but I'm glad I bought used commercial grade rather than new hobby grade equipment.

My latest endeavor involved removal of a CMOS chip from the PLL/Input board of a Tek counter assembly. Without the Pace unit and its low-voltage DC heater setup I probably would have electrically damaged the IC when extracting it. As it stands, the chip was removed without incident to either it or the PCB.

I have a Weller 25w pencil, 80w heavy-duty iron and 140w gun in my electronics toolbox and they have their places - tank circuits in high-power tube amplifiers being one.

As with anything in life, it's about choosing the right tool for the job.

N8YX
12-26-2013, 12:36 PM
Speaking of Heathkits:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heathkit-SB-104A-Station-Monitor-Console-Pwr-Supply-Spkr-Remote-VFO-Ext-brd-/321282252392?pt=US_Ham_Radio_Transceivers&hash=item4acdea1e68

I've seen a similar station including the SB-230 amplifier go for 2/3 the current price.

KC2UGV
12-31-2013, 10:26 AM
An appliance operator took a look at a few of my old transmitters and admitted that he wouldn't have the vaguest idea as to how to operate them.

A computer programmer took a look at my old PDP-10, and admitted he wouldn't have the vaguest idea how to begin to program on it.

KC2UGV
12-31-2013, 10:31 AM

Which is exactly why the Arduinos have failed, and nobody uses them. I mean, building something like this is mere plug-and-play:
http://makezine.com/2013/12/27/make-your-own-mindstorms-cube-solver/

And this, I mean, nobody would build this unless it was plug and play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMgzUGBfXiE

I can't even figure out for the life of me any hipster who would subscribe to Makezine, where they dedicate a whole section to soldering and complete DIY projects:
http://makezine.com/category/arduino/

kb2vxa
01-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Because when it comes to soldering our good friend Alfred is leader of the pack.