PDA

View Full Version : This is why you should always include a packing slip when you ship something...

N2CHX
12-12-2013, 10:08 AM
So I shipped something I sold to a buyer in Florida, via my local UPS Store. They always do a stellar job, but during the holidays they are always harried and it seems, short-staffed.

Anyway, to make a long story short, my package bound for Florida winds up in NYC. Apparently my UPS guys accidentally swapped labels with another package that was a Christmas gift from a Mom here in Buffalo to her daughter in NYC... The only way this girl in NYC knew what to do with it was by the info on the packing slip...

UPS is of course apologetic and the mistake is being corrected. I do believe I conversed with the Mom while at the UPS store, so that makes it even more amusing. My buyer is a really nice guy and very understanding, and the daughter in NYC who's Christmas present is out for delivery in Florida is cool about it too, so all is well. But boy am I glad I put packing slips in my packages when I ship them!

n2ize
12-12-2013, 12:13 PM
Not that I do much shipping (I hardly do any) but I always include a packing slip / invoice.

kb2vxa
12-12-2013, 07:30 PM
UPS is notorious for destroying things and putting packages where they can't be found or where they grow legs so why not switch labels? I got a free antenna once, UPS shipped it to a friend but it never showed up so he called the store and they sent another. After it was up a few months he found the first one hidden in the bushes and gave it to me. Some time later I shipped a couple of boat anchor receivers, one arrived intact and the other arrived looking like an elephant sat on it. The sad part was the NC-173 had the usual yellowed dials but otherwise perfect, the NC-303 was looking and working fresh out of the factory new when I shipped them, the 303 was destroyed.

N7YA
12-13-2013, 06:10 AM
What we've noticed is that they no longer ring the bell when they door drop...they just drop it and run. We may never know something is on our porch. We has stuff stolen before...so far so good, but still, ring the damn doorbell.

kb2vxa
12-13-2013, 06:31 AM
In some cases a signature is required but I never did figure out the hows and whys, just had to sign, rarely.

K7SGJ
12-13-2013, 08:57 AM
What we've noticed is that they no longer ring the bell when they door drop...they just drop it and run. We may never know something is on our porch. We has stuff stolen before...so far so good, but still, ring the damn doorbell.

You have a porch? In Vegas? Who Gnu?

N7YA
12-13-2013, 09:20 AM
No porch, just a big concrete set of steps leading to the door that exposes all the goodies they leave for all the turd eating children around here to steal....but we do have a big ass balcony in the back. :yes:

K7SGJ
12-13-2013, 09:26 AM
No porch, just a big concrete set of steps leading to the door that exposes all the goodies they leave for all the turd eating children around here to steal....but we do have a big ass balcony in the back. :yes:

Maybe you can get Bob to UPS a box of Minnesota yellow jackets to you, too. Let the little bastids steal that package and,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whoooopie

N7YA
12-13-2013, 04:55 PM
Then i will give said box to the neighbors who keep parking in front of our driveway.

n6hcm
12-15-2013, 03:45 AM
most UPS dudes who deliver to my door will understand that, when the gate is open just a crack, that is their sign to leave the package behind the gate and then pull the gate locked. USPS, etc., don't get it, and so i pay for a pmb. the price for that went up dramatically last year, so i may kill it off next year--usps boxes in some locations now accept fedex, etc. for a price and i have a box at the cheapest post office in town.

W2NAP
12-15-2013, 05:09 AM
fedex and usps knocks at the door. UPS drops and runs. no matter if its in a hard rain... had something ruined last year cause UPS just dropped it on the front porch and the package got flooded out.

K7SGJ
12-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Out here, delivery people can't get past the gate, so they toss it over the fence. UPS has always been good about leaving deliveries behind one of the brick pillars, and if the weather even looks threating, the package is enclosed in a heavy duty plastic bag. We have never had an issue. It pays to talk to the delivery driver and form a plan ahead of time.

W7XF
12-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Here....my mom's medications mostly come by UPS, and are signature required; one can be signed for by her only, and requires identification. but the UPS man here has been introduced to our dogs, and has no more issues with waiting at our door. But, there is someone here at our house continuously.

W3WN
12-19-2013, 08:26 AM
I think a lot depends on the local delivery driver(s) who work in your area.

I've had countless UPS people simply leave notes; not even walk to the door with the package. This with a car in the driveway, the front door open, a TV or radio on, and people walking around.

FedEx... that is, the original Federal Express, now FedEx Express... is usually very good about deliveries. FedEx Ground, though, appears to hire the people that UPS fires for incompetence.

No problems with the USPS. We know our mailman, er, postal carrier. And this time of year, we bribe him with cookies!
-------------
Ordered a hard drive from NewEgg last Thursday morning (12th). Shipped via FedEx Friday morning; delivery due on Monday the 16th. According to the FedEx website, late Friday night, the drive left Edison NJ & arrived in Allentown PA on Friday, then within an hour, was shipped to Pittsburgh. On Saturday, the delivery time changed to "unknown" and there's been no updates to the shipping number since. No drive, either.

Last night, got an automated email from NewEgg asking me how I was enjoying my purchase, which FedEx told them was delivered last Monday. (Yes, I told NewEgg Customer Support, at this point, no drive!!)

Lost? Or Stolen?