PDA

View Full Version : England Hammered by Worst Tidal Surge in 60 Years.

N2NH
12-06-2013, 07:11 AM
The news in Britain is reporting the worst tidal surge to hit the island nation in 60 years.

Thousands of families are forced to flee as coastal towns across Britain are left underwater by worst tidal surge for 60 years

Flood waters reported to be receding after worst North Sea surge hit Norfolk and headed south throughout night
Thousands of people had to be evacuated from their homes and spent the night in temporary accommodation
Agencies are this morning saying the expected overnight flooding was less severe than it had been expected
Environment Agency has issued 45 severe flood warnings in East Anglia, the North Sea coast and south-east
Homeonwers urged to remain cautious as another tidal surge is due to sweep past east coast of Kent at about 1pm

More at the Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519250/Coastal-towns-swamped-Britain-worst-tidal-surge-60-years-sparks-evacuation-thousands.html)

KØWVM
12-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Feeling the effects of the storm here in Central Europe. High winds, some light snow/freezing mix and it's done an amazing job at sweeping most of the clouds out to keep the Sun shining here. Something that is rare during the winters in Europe...

n2ize
12-06-2013, 09:00 AM
natural bike.

PA5COR
12-06-2013, 10:38 AM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25243460#

Good article with the damage over the countries.

More heat in the oceans is more heavier storms.
Having 2 in 5 weeks, i could do some years without these monsters, at least i build the antenna's strong enough to survive the onslaught...

N2NH
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
Feeling the effects of the storm here in Central Europe. High winds, some light snow/freezing mix and it's done an amazing job at sweeping most of the clouds out to keep the Sun shining here. Something that is rare during the winters in Europe...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25243460#

Good article with the damage over the countries.

More heat in the oceans is more heavier storms.
Having 2 in 5 weeks, i could do some years without these monsters, at least i build the antenna's strong enough to survive the onslaught...

Stay safe guys. 140MPH winds are pretty extreme. I can't imagine what that is like, let alone having an antenna survive that.

kb2vxa
12-06-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't know about 140mph winds, since they use the metric system are you sure it's not km/hr? Last I heard they were having gale force winds, that's a hurricane.

I expected that, with all the warnings up about that storm it was inevitable. Here at the Jersey Shore wise hams have antenna installations to withstand our famous coastal nor'easters. After last year's infamous hurricane Sandy I have a good idea what Europe is going through so I can't help wishing everyone well, or as well as may be expected to be honest as I always am.

PA5COR
12-06-2013, 01:24 PM
The North of the UK had 142 miles per hour wind, one of our oilrig islands saw over that windspeed and 36 meter!! or over 100 foot waves pass by...
Here max windspeed was 140 KM/H or 90 miles per hour wind gusts, last obne saw 95 - 100 miles per Hour locally here, on the coast we has 190 KM/H or 115 Miles per hour wind.

The first one, named Christian, spawned some tornado's as well, this time we were lucky and didn't see them here...
I put my piccies of the antenna's up on here and qrz, the 23 meter or 77 foot high inverted L is guyed with 5 mm aramid guying wires good for 1500 pound each.
Double guyed at 18 and 14 meters, the back wall at 6 meters high also has a bracket holding it.
Titanex tubing from 3 1/2 inch bottom to the top 1 1/2 inch tubing wall thickness 1/10th inch.

What you see on the chimney's is stainless steel 316 with 3.2 mm wallthickness 52 mm outside diameter steam seamless tubing.
All TIG welding done by myself.

Guyed back to the 2" angle irons of stainless steel keeping it all clamped to the 4 ton heavy concrete chimney.
That is 33 feet of mast and antenna on the roof of a 30 feet high house ...
The other chimney holds a 7 feet similar alu tube supporting the Imax 2000 for 10/12/15/17 meters.

I calculated it all with 120 KM/H speed what normally is exceptional here, but since i always add liberally to strength in construction, it proves to be a good idea afterwards.

If i had not lived 20 miles fro the seacoast i would have gone for 180 KM/H and build it for 200+ KM/H...
One of the disadvantages of having salty seaclay as underground is being near the coast hence strong storms...

KK4AMI
12-06-2013, 01:51 PM
The North of the UK had 142 miles per hour wind, one of our oilrig islands saw over that windspeed and 36 meter!! or over 100 foot waves pass by...
Here max windspeed was 140 KM/H or 90 miles per hour wind gusts, last obne saw 95 - 100 miles per Hour locally here, on the coast we has 190 KM/H or 115 Miles per hour wind.

The first one, named Christian, spawned some tornado's as well, this time we were lucky and didn't see them here...
I put my piccies of the antenna's up on here and qrz, the 23 meter or 77 foot high inverted L is guyed with 5 mm aramid guying wires good for 1500 pound each.
Double guyed at 18 and 14 meters, the back wall at 6 meters high also has a bracket holding it.
Titanex tubing from 3 1/2 inch bottom to the top 1 1/2 inch tubing wall thickness 1/10th inch.

What you see on the chimney's is stainless steel 316 with 3.2 mm wallthickness 52 mm outside diameter steam seamless tubing.
All TIG welding done by myself.

Guyed back to the 2" angle irons of stainless steel keeping it all clamped to the 4 ton heavy concrete chimney.
That is 33 feet of mast and antenna on the roof of a 30 feet high house ...
The other chimney holds a 7 feet similar alu tube supporting the Imax 2000 for 10/12/15/17 meters.

I calculated it all with 120 KM/H speed what normally is exceptional here, but since i always add liberally to strength in construction, it proves to be a good idea afterwards.

If i had not lived 20 miles fro the seacoast i would have gone for 180 KM/H and build it for 200+ KM/H...
One of the disadvantages of having salty seaclay as underground is being near the coast hence strong storms...

The heck with the antennas. What are you tied down with? I'd be more afraid of sucking sea water.

N2NH
12-06-2013, 02:04 PM
Same newspaper with a story of how the winds were blowing at 140MPH...

Winds up to 140mph bring UK transport system to its knees and blows pedestrians to the floor

Roads, trains and air travel all affected as UK reels under high-speed winds
At one point yesterday not a single train was running in Scotland
Motorists faced flash floods and fallen trees, causing accidents

LINK № 1 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2519102/Winds-140mph-bring-UK-transport-knees.html)

Britain battered by worst tidal surge in 60 years: Sea walls breached as 20ft waves smash string of east coast towns

More than 295 Environment Agency flood alerts in place in England and Wales, with most in East Anglia
Gusts of 140mph in parts of Aberdeenshire and Inverness-shire as ALL trains in Scotland are cancelled
Scarborough has been hit by surging seas and what one witness called it 'a scene from Titanic'
Environment Secretary Owen Paterson chaired an emergency Cobra meeting today on storm disruption
Police Scotland advise motorists not to drive in the south, west, central belt and south Perthshire
Storm will create the biggest waves in living memory off north-east over next few days, peaking on Saturday
Public should expect 36 hours of disruption, Norfolk Police warns as Great Yarmouth homes are evacuated
Evacuations planned in Essex and Suffolk as people are seen being rescued in North Wales and Merseyside

LINK № 2 (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2518340/Britain-battered-worst-tidal-surge-60-years-Sea-walls-breached-20ft-waves-smash-string-east-coast-towns.html)

Very impressive pictures in those links too.

NQ6U
12-06-2013, 02:59 PM
Man, now this is what you call an extreme example of crab angle!

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/12/05/article-2519102-19DF5BA200000578-146_634x286.jpg

N7YA
12-06-2013, 05:49 PM
Replacing fallen antennas was a yearly ritual in Alaska. This storm sounds a bit bigger.

kb2vxa
12-06-2013, 06:34 PM
"Glasgow Central station (aka Waverly) was evacuated during the morning rush-hour after flying debris smashed glass in the roof, but fortunately no one was hurt."

The glass roof covers the greater part of the station and it is a HUGE station between Market and Princes streets. The city's service agencies were centralized there so I wouldn't doubt there were disruptions. An old friend from the worldwide packet BBS network who lives in Edinburgh, Glen GM1JWC, who posted to WEIRDO his rather strange messages and still keeps in touch via e-mail hasn't been heard from lately, I hope he's OK. Today I sent him an RUOK and am waiting a reply.

That sure IS an extreme crab angle! It would be nice to know if it finally landed at Birmingham or the pilot aborted altogether and decided to land elsewhere.

PA5COR
12-07-2013, 03:55 AM
The inverted L was seriously beefed up after last year springstorm that bend a section.
Seems to have worked ;)

N2NH
12-07-2013, 07:54 AM
I wonder how Hugh made out?

PA5COR
12-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Most of us like in the UK or here know we get some serious hurricanes here, so we build strong.
I admit the last 2 were of a special kind, but my "overdoing" things seemed to have worked...

kb2vxa
12-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Update:
Glen GM1JWC is OK, he was bogged down in other issues so e-mail took a back seat in order of priorities. He didn't mention the storm so I suppose it wasn't anything of importance to him.

HUGH
12-07-2013, 05:39 PM
The 'plane was diverted to Gatwick after 2 aborted attempts to land. No damage at home, not even bits of tree as there are nearly 100 of them here. We were just in the lee of a hill sheltering us from this particular wind direction. It isn't usually like that. Lucky!
I went to the dentist in the morning and had to flee bits of sheet steel flying around from someone's shed. It reminded me of a few years ago when a fellow amateur found an extra shed in his garden.

n2ize
12-07-2013, 07:32 PM
The 'plane was diverted to Gatwick after 2 aborted attempts to land. No damage at home, not even bits of tree as there are nearly 100 of them here. We were just in the lee of a hill sheltering us from this particular wind direction. It isn't usually like that. Lucky!
I went to the dentist in the morning and had to flee bits of sheet steel flying around from someone's shed. It reminded me of a few years ago when a fellow amateur found an extra shed in his garden.

It sounds almost romantic in an olde English sort of way. An olde English estate, a cold dark windy stormy night, a beautiful young lass, and, imagination.... and of course me to assure everyone is calm.

K7SGJ
12-07-2013, 08:03 PM
It was a dark and stormy night,.................

kb2vxa
12-07-2013, 09:08 PM
...when Mary Shelley wrote Frankenstein.

N2NH
12-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Ah, winter, romance (or bromance) in the air and a young lad's heart turns to...

...his senses roused by a warm fetid breeze, hoped it was an early spring’s equinoxal thaw causing rivers to swell like the blood-engorged gumlines of gingivitis, loosening winter’s plaque, exposing decay, and allowing the seasonal pot-pouris of Mother Nature’s morning breath to permeate the surrounding ether, but then he awoke to the unrelenting waves of his wife’s halitosis.

— Guy Foisy, Orleans, Ontario

:lol:

kb2vxa
12-08-2013, 04:54 PM
"...his senses roused by a warm fetid breeze..."
The perfect description of a fart. The more I read the more I expected something horrid, then came the punchline. (;->)

Then some people along the coast are used to these storm conditions, when there's no storm they happen every day anyhow.

n2ize
12-08-2013, 09:14 PM
The wind howls like a hammer
The night blows cold and rainy
My love she's like some raven
At my window with a broken wing.

K7SGJ
12-08-2013, 10:26 PM
When I woke up this morning
the dawn was soft and still
A little robin came and sat
upon my window sill
He tipped his head and looked at me
his eyes so bright and clear
He chirped a little melody
My morning thoughts to cheer
His song he sang so sweetly
Without a moments lull
I gently pulled the window down
and crushed his fucking skull.

N7YA
12-09-2013, 04:23 AM
I got this rat name Shelly dat loves Makaveli
Number 5 combo meals its bad she K-Y jelly. Our
old school shorty still drinkin 40's. Grab the mic
start a fight,fuck up the whole party. Maybe you
should leave, just yo weave thats velcro hell no bitch
go wit Steve. Got this lead singer bitch from a popular
group I would say her name but she bought me a coupe. Got
this poor hoe Shonna swear like Marijuana she dig lil wayne
but she love the big tymers. Got pretty gurl Patrice found out
Im fuckin her niece she tried to stab her so I grab her and we
call the police. Mr. Officer, dat bitch den lost it bra she goin
to jail oh well, I be fuckin her. See two dykes, spanish twins nuts
press on they chin, will we go belly low well nigga that depends

N7YA
12-09-2013, 04:23 AM
Aaaah, pure poetry. Warms the cockles, doesnt it? :lol:

N2NH
12-09-2013, 06:04 AM
Glad to see it worked out in the end.

Your fellow Ham found an extra shed in the garden? Worked all Sheds, Shropshire.

HUGH
12-09-2013, 06:27 AM
There wasn't a Ham in it, apparently it had no floor so somewhere there might have been a Ham operating from a small wooden platform in his garden wondering where the draught was coming from.

HUGH
12-09-2013, 07:16 AM

Some of the coast round Norfolk on the east coast consists of soft, sedimentary soil and has little resistance to erosion. Whole villages have disappeared over the centuries so the storm was certain to claim a little more land. These houses are mainly prefabricated so need little foundation and it's as if the local planning authority knew they wouldn't be there long.

K7SGJ
12-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Went out this morning and found some Dutch Elm leaves in my yard. COR................

PA5COR
12-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Yeah, sorry about that please send back, we're missing them ;)

Went out this morning and found some Dutch Elm leaves in my yard. COR................

kb2vxa
12-09-2013, 02:41 PM
"Whole villages have disappeared over the centuries so the storm was certain to claim a little more land."

Hugh, you're living in New Atlantis sinking slowly beneath the waves.