PDA

View Full Version : Dell Rant

WN9HJW
12-02-2013, 07:38 AM
I wanted to get my wife a new computer. She has an old Win XP system with a Pentium and is constantly whining about how slow it is.

She insists on Windows 7 (can't blame her for this) and insists on Dell.

So I go on Dell's web site and quickly find a system that is perfect for her and has Windows 7 at the right price and says it is "Smart Choice" and will Ship 11/25. Great!

So come 11/25 I get an email that it will ship 11/26.
On 11/26 I get an email that it will ship 11/27.
On 11/29 I get an email that it will ship 12/4
Today I get an email that it will ship 12/10 . ..

… and they tell me that I have to call them or they'll cancel the order!

They have no clue what their inventory is. Or something. Makes no sense.

I feel like I'm waiting to get on a delayed United Airlines flight. You know the ones where they come on every 15 minutes and say that the flight is delayed 15 minutes . . . and then after about 2 hours of that they cancel it.

KK4AMI
12-02-2013, 07:57 AM
Are you getting one of their "refurbed" computers? The reason I ask is because you found one with Win 7. I thought all the new ones have WIN 8 by now. They might be waiting for a Win 7 refurb unit to become available. Just guessing here!

I just checked the Website. Guess they do still sell new ones. Good Luck. I'd like to know how that works out. I'd like to get a new laptop with Win 7.

K7SGJ
12-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Just my 2 centavos. I wanted to get Win 7 on my last laptop, but it only had Win 8 available. I went ahead and got it anyway, and I wasn't surprised. Windows 8 on a non-touchscreen computer sucked elephant dicks for a nickel a herd. Recently, the free Win 8.1 became available, and I loaded it up on three of our machines. It turned out to be a much more stable platform, and way more user friendly. I have to admit, there is still a bit of a learning curve to transition between XP, 7 and 8.1, but after a little time and several Google searches, I've gotten very comfortable with it. There are a few things, like managing printers and Bluetooth devices, that are more cumbersome, but all in all, it's not as bad as it could have been. Personally, I think Windows 8, like healthcare.gov, got rolled out before it was ready to go, however, 8.1 seems to have addressed many of the shortcomings. As time moves on, I'm sure it will probably be further improved upon. But then, I could be full of shit, too.

kb2vxa
12-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I look at it this way; the OS isn't the real problem, the hardware is. The learning curve from XP to 7 is a mere speed bump, without a touch screen 8 is mierda de toro but they're ironing out the wrinkles. I've heard so many complaints about Dell I lost count, Hell's Dells and variations. IMO it was a poor choice to begin with so my advice is cancel the order and move on. And that's when the fight started. (;->)

K7SGJ
12-02-2013, 10:55 AM
It's kind of funny, peculiar not ha ha, about Dell. I've own a metric shit-ton of their machines, and never really had a problem with any of them. All the issues with Dell have been administrative and support. That is the reason I will no longer entertain buying a new machine from them. We currently own HPs, Asus, and Toshiba's. Of all of them, the only hardware issues we have had has been with the HP's. But in all fairness, they did take good care of us. My wife's laptop had to go back twice, but all the parts, labor, and frequent flyer over night travel was picked up by HP. I think Dell has lost sight of customer support, and just focused on sales.

All in all, if I had to rely on past experience, machine performance and factory support, my choice for a replacement machine would probably be a Toshiba, followed by HP; assuming they had a model that would fulfill my requirements. If I had the money, I would really like to give Apple a go, but their outstanding graphics capability would be wasted on my needs.

KJ3N
12-02-2013, 10:56 AM
For desktop units, I won't buy anything pre-fabbed. I'm still "old school" about building my own. Probably not cheaper than pre-fabbed, but I can avoid a lot of other headaches, like what OS to put on it.

For laptops, I've had good luck with the HPs I've bought over the last 5 years. I'm dreading having to replace them with Win 8 laptops, but that's not going to happen for a few more years.

n2ize
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I just purchased a new dell desktop system because I needed to use a $200 gift card that was about to expire. It came with Windows 8 pre-installed. First thing I did was dump Windows 8, put in a larger drive and put on the latest version of Fedora. This is my first time setting up a desktop workstation as a Linux only system. Usually I make them dual boot systems Linux and Windows. These days however there is hardly a need to for me to boot into Windows anymore, so its more or less obsolete here. Besides I still have 3 other systems that could be boot into Winders should the need ever arise.

Far as Dell and shipping times, I have always had good luck with them. The times I've ordered anything from them they usually arrive ahead of the scheduled date.

n2ize
12-02-2013, 11:26 AM
I look at it this way; the OS isn't the real problem, the hardware is. The learning curve from XP to 7 is a mere speed bump, without a touch screen 8 is mierda de toro but they're ironing out the wrinkles. I've heard so many complaints about Dell I lost count, Hell's Dells and variations. IMO it was a poor choice to begin with so my advice is cancel the order and move on. And that's when the fight started. (;->)

Actually I have never had any real problem with Dell hardware. In fact just about every Dell system in use around here has been running problem free for years, including systems that are running 24/7/365/. Thus far I have found them to be quite reliable as far as hardware goes. As far as software goes I generally don't run the Windows that they come pre-installed with. First thing I do with any computer I get my hands on is to put the Linux on it.

WØTKX
12-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Michael Dell is a huge contributor to right wing causes.

They have your Internet history, and know you associate with "The Island Vermin".

:evil:

KG4NEL
12-02-2013, 12:58 PM
I don't know what the backwards compatibility issues are like, but on Dell's refurb site, you can buy no-OS models.

They give you eleventy billion warnings before you purchase that THERE IS NO OPERATING SYSTEM INSTALLED, but for those that may already have a copy of 7 that they know and love, may be an idea for the future...at least until MS wisens up and releases something for the business peeps that can't be bothered with this touchscreen silliness.

kb2vxa
12-02-2013, 05:42 PM
The problem with store bought computers is you have to make buyer's choice on what's closest to you needs, close but no cigar. I consider myself lucky I have a long time friend and guru, Scott W2SJW who knows my usage so well he built this one to my exact needs. The icing on the cake is a remote help-desk so he doesn't have to make house calls for problems simple for him but beyond me. Thankfully I can work it out most of the time and don't have to bother him. Credit where credit is due; I'm a technician, not a magician, but he is.

K0RGR
12-02-2013, 06:43 PM
Windows 8 starts to make sense when you see it on a machine with a touch screen. I was still befuddled, but my 25-year old got on a Win 8 machine for the first time, and within a few minutes, she was making it fly. She could navigate much quicker with the touchscreen than with a mouse. I don't have any Win 8 machines here at the moment, but that could change. However, we have lots of touchscreen devices, including an Android tablet I bought at Micro Center for $129 that is becoming my 'portable computer' of choice. If I could just program my radios with it, I would jettison some of this other stuff.
Android is a touch interface that was built on the Linux kernel.

WN9HJW
12-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Yes, you can still buy new computers with Windows 7 preloaded but only from a few places. Dell is one, from both their Home and Business stores; the other is HP but only from their Business store and they cost more for similar configurations. I just bought several Dell Optiplex systems with Windows 7 for my section at work. For myself, I got an HP mobile workstation (that's what they call their 17 inch laptops), also with Windows 7.

Re: the shipping slipping problem with Dell. Same thing happened last time I ordered something from them. I guess I didn't learn. Actually the problem is that my wife and I looked at computers at Best Buy and after a few minutes she pronounced she'd go to the grave with Windows XP before she'd have a Windows 8 computer. Unfortunately that's all you can get in retail stores around here. I did manage to convince her that Windows 7 would be OK. Best Buy will "downgrade" a windows 8 system to Windows 7 but they said it'd cost about $300. I don't have time to mess with it myself. So that's how I ended up ordering from Dell.

For myself at home I use an iMac, MacBook Pro, . . . and a Dell Ultrabook with Ubuntu Linux on it. Not counting all the iPads and iPods around the house.

WØTKX
12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
All kidding about Michael Dell aside....

Does the old XP system have the "right stuff" to upgrade to Windows 7? You may want to persue that, if you can get a non-OEM version you can install it any hardware. Or maybe a used Mac, as in upgrade and give her yours. I may be doing something similar for my YL, give her my HP laptop and get me a new one.

I just restored her really messed up older HP Pavillion desktop with the system restore partition containing old XP original. The updates and service packs are still online. Hers was really messed up. It's clean and lean now.

NA4BH
12-02-2013, 11:52 PM
For a nickle a herd? Man, you said a mouthful.

W9JEF
12-03-2013, 05:22 AM
I'm on my son's Dell "Inspiron." With Windows 7, no major problems.

A friend just bought one with Windows 8; didn't like it,

so he changed it to Windows 7, and it's fine.

I'm waiting for Windows 9. :)

W3WN
12-03-2013, 12:38 PM
In recent weeks, I've bought two refurbished Dell Optiplex 760's from Dell Financial Services via eBay. One was the Small Form Factor (a surprise, but that was my own fault, I overlooked that detail), one the mini-tower (matching what we have here at work). Shipping on each machine was $9.99, and each came within a week of my winning the bid & paying for the machines. (Shipping was allegedly FedEx Home 3 day, but as a practical matter, 1 day from TN to WPA)

The SFF box I got for a winning bid of $159. The M-T box had a winning bid of $85... lucky timing, I guess.

Both machines came with Vista Business pre-installed, but no OEM CD's or DVD's. Fortunately, I have access to a small stockpile of Dell OEM CD's for various OS's.

The only downside (for me) on both machines is that they came with an 80 GB drive. Won't make a difference for Little Miss Field Day, but I'm going to pick up another drive to install as a D: drive for data storage. Just have to get off my kiester and order the blasted thing from somewhere.

Both machines work perfectly. Little Miss Field Day loves her new machine (she got the SFF one, which, as it turned out, fit perfectly in her desk), and I just need to port my data over from the old Compaq Evo 300 to the new box.

Also, work recently bought 2 dozen refurbed Optiplex 755's directly from DFS. Price was about $160 each (so for me, using eBay was worth it, saved a few shekels... and the machines are still coming from Dell). All also came with Vista pre-installed, no OEM disks... since we're still running Vista here, not an issue, and disks we've got. We could have ordered the machines with Win 7, but the decision was made to stick with Vista for now, since these are now the intern and training lab machines, so we didn't want to mix OS's in the work environment (we're almost all Vista, a handful of special purpose machines still on XP, but those are being converted).

YMMV, of course.

...FYI, Vista got a bad rap. Partly was Micro$oft's fault for over-hyping the marketing when it was first released, but in large part because too many OEM's were installing it on machines that were underpowered (not enough RAM, CPU, HDD, or all of the above, to handle the OS). Windows 7, aka Vista R2, is more stable, and they patched a few things, but in reality, if you like Win 7 (really Windows 6.5), you should like Vista (Windows 6.2.9 after SP's and patches)...

NQ6U
12-03-2013, 12:56 PM
Michael Dell is a huge contributor to right wing causes.

But, he's a real industry visionary. After all, this is the guy who said back in 1997 that Apple should "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders." Notice how perceptive he was?

kb2vxa
12-03-2013, 01:10 PM
"I'm waiting for Windows 9."

Uh oh, Plan 9 From Outer Space, long distance electrodes shot into the hard drive of the recently dead computers.

Why is it so important that you want to upgrade the computers of our earth?
Because they're poorly designed. Because all you of Earth are idiots.
Now you just hold on, Buster.
No, you hold on. First you had DOS, then Windows 1, a GUI for a perfectly good OS. Oh but you weren't satisfied, you just HAD to use the public as beta testers and bomb them with the likes of Mistake Edition and Vista! You finally came up with 7 which was just fine and now you bomb them again with 8 that needs a touch screen all covered with fingerprints and all sorts of crud from eating jelly donuts. Now you can arrange the total destruction of the entire universe served by our Central Scrutinizer.
Why, there's no such thing.
You see? You see? Your stupid minds! Stupid! Stupid!

Eros, do we *have* to kill them?
Yes.

n2ize
12-05-2013, 07:40 AM
But, he's a real industry visionary. After all, this is the guy who said back in 1997 that Apple should "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders." Notice how perceptive he was?

Michael Dell was about as "great' a "visionary" as was Esther Dyson (who foresaw an email tax) as was Bill Gates. Real visionaries were guys like "The Wizard of Woz", Doc Searls, . Vint Cerf, etc.

K7SGJ
12-05-2013, 09:28 AM
And don't forget Willard J. Dildarious, the inventor of the internal combustion dildo.

kb2vxa
12-05-2013, 12:11 PM
"Real visionaries were guys like "The Wizard of Woz", Doc Searls...

THIS is The Wizard of Woz!