PDA

View Full Version : Toll Rates Go Up Again. $13/car-$84/Semi to See Da Big Apple.

N2NH
11-30-2013, 01:09 AM
Just in time for the holidays, tolls go up on the bridges to New York City. That $84 for a Tractor-Trailer? That's for peak time with EZ Pass. It's even higher if you don't have one. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

This is the third of five scheduled toll increases. Two more to go. YMMV.

Tolls Rising on 12/1. Just when you thought New York couldn't get any more ridiculous. LINK (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/EZ-Pass-Tolls-NYC-NJ-233848191.html)

NA4BH
11-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Simple solution, MOVE !!!!

N2NH
11-30-2013, 02:12 AM
Simple solution, MOVE !!!!

I already did. The tolls here aren't even a quarter that. My friend who drives a tractor-trailer for a living has his problems though...

PA5COR
11-30-2013, 04:50 AM
What is that toll thingy you all are yapping about? ;)
Though i do pay 20 euro's road tax a month...

W7XF
11-30-2013, 06:21 AM
NYC is just plain out of control when it comes to tolls. The other states operating toll roads/bridges aren't doing much better. It might be time (for at least commercial trucks/buses) for the FHWA/USDOT to step in and control toll rates. There are MANY trucking companies that refuse to serve NYC because of the legalised extortion from the Port Authority of NY/NJ. And many trucking companies instruct their drivers to use 2-lane roads, if necessary, to avoid toll roads throughout the country.

suddenseer
11-30-2013, 06:54 AM
When the Zombie Apolcaylpse happens, those fancy toll brudges will be jammed, and worthless.

n2ize
11-30-2013, 08:34 AM
Just in time for the holidays, tolls go up on the bridges to New York City. That $84 for a Tractor-Trailer? That's for peak time with EZ Pass. It's even higher if you don't have one. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy.

This is the third of five scheduled toll increases. Two more to go. YMMV.

Tolls Rising on 12/1. Just when you thought New York couldn't get any more ridiculous. LINK (http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/EZ-Pass-Tolls-NYC-NJ-233848191.html)

I remember when it used to cost 25 cents to go over a NYC bridge in a car. Moving is not an option for many of us because this is where our homes, family, and jobs are. Fortunately I don't have to use the bridges and tunnels very often. Watch out if you don't have an EZ pass and/or you don't have the cash to pay the toll when you cross the GW bridge. The toll trolls will let you cross and they'll bill you by mail. A few weeks later you'll get bill in the mail from a private company contracted to collect the tolls by mail. If you send a personal check they will not cash it, they'll claim you ae late in your payment and they'll triple or quadruple the toll and send you a new bill claiming you didn't respond. If you pay that with yet another personal check they will claim they didn't receive that and quadruple the bill and send you another collection notice demanding large sums of money because you are 'delinquent".. Pay them using a bank check and, send it by certified/registered mail and make copies of your bill, check, and paperwork. They are a bunch of crooks and they will lie to bilk as much as they can from you. My father recently went through this with them. They are a real bunch of dirty, kniving crooks.

NYC was/is a great place to visit/lve but too many criminals have taken over. That is one thing I won't miss when I move up to the Yukon.

n2ize
11-30-2013, 08:35 AM
When the Zombie Apolcaylpse happens, those fancy toll brudges will be jammed, and worthless.

or when planet Nibiru hits us in 2003, er ah, 2012, er ah... 2014....etc. :lol:

KG4NEL
11-30-2013, 10:01 AM
lol tolls

KG4CGC
11-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Well if this was in "Politics" .....

KB3LAZ
11-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Tolls here are crazy. Last time we went to visit family it was 35€ each way for a 20 minute drive. I will go around next time. An extra 30 minutes but worth it. Hell, back home taking the turnpike to New York from PA was only $1.25.

kb2vxa
11-30-2013, 07:45 PM
"Just in time for the holidays, tolls go up on the bridges to New York City."
Bloomberg's way of saying Hanukkah was good to me, so Merry Christmas.

"Last time we went to visit family it was 35€ each way for a 20 minute drive. I will go around next time. An extra 30 minutes but worth it."
Good grief, I agree 1.16€ per minute is highway robbery (pun intended).

W7XF
12-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Hmmmm..... time for some mud to be applied to licence plates at opportune times??? :evil:

N2NH
12-01-2013, 08:06 PM
Hmmmm..... time for some mud to be applied to licence plates at opportune times??? :evil:

They just caught two truckers doing that. Can you say felony time? They have more cameras at those toll plazas than anywhere else and those films to put over the license plate doesn't work either. Saw a video debunking that. It might work elsewhere, but they got the good cams in the city.

Tolls here are crazy. Last time we went to visit family it was 35€ each way for a 20 minute drive. I will go around next time. An extra 30 minutes but worth it. Hell, back home taking the turnpike to New York from PA was only $1.25.

35€ for a 20 minute drive? That's nuts. We got a choice, take the state road or the highway. Thruway is 75¢ for 25 miles. Nearer to NYC, the same road charges nearly $10 just to leave/enter the city.

n0iu
12-02-2013, 06:54 AM
35€ for a 20 minute drive? That's nuts.

Summer before this last one we drove through Scandinavia. To get from Copenhagen, Denmark to Malmo, Sweden, you have to cross the gorgeous 5 mile long Øresund Bridge. The current passenger car toll: 43€! (about $58 USD)

kb2vxa
12-02-2013, 10:32 AM
"Thruway is 75¢ for 25 miles."
That's on a par with the Garden State Parkingway, the longest and narrowest paid parking lot in the state.
"Nearer to NYC, the same road charges nearly $10 just to leave/enter the city."
I can't say for sure since I've never taken the Foo Way to or from the city but there's a way around that mess. The NYC line is actually at Yonkers where the southernmost toll barrier (one of three) is located and I'm sure it's but a minor inconvenience to avoid it. Above Harriman it's a closed system like the NJ Turnpike, get a ticket where you get on and pay where you get off which is so much better IMO than plazas every so many miles.

Toll roads are like taxes, they were promised to be eliminated when construction costs were paid but we all know about political promises now don't we?

That seems like some ridiculous toll on a 5 mile long bridge but is it really justifiable? Consider maintenance costs and how Scandinavians take pride in a much better, cleaner and well maintained infrastructure. The American is crumbling through neglect so really there is no comparison, so to their way of thinking it is probably worth it.