PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hanukkah

N2NH
11-27-2013, 01:55 AM
Which begins at sundown tonight. Time for the dreidel again. Shalom.

W7XF
11-27-2013, 05:20 AM
Lucky Jewish people. Stuff their bellies Wednesday night for Hanukkah, the stuff themselves again Thursday for Thanksgiving! buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp!

W3WN
11-27-2013, 08:11 AM
Lucky Jewish people. Stuff their bellies Wednesday night for Hanukkah, the stuff themselves again Thursday for Thanksgiving! buuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrp!Yeah, but my wife doesn't have the slightest idea on the proper way to make latkes. (Or blintzes, or knishes, or... and we won't even discuss what passes around here for a bagel)

But, that's what I get for marrying a shiksa.

And, thanks for the thoughts guys.

N2NH
11-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah, but my wife doesn't have the slightest idea on the proper way to make latkes. (Or blintzes, or knishes, or... and we won't even discuss what passes around here for a bagel)

But, that's what I get for marrying a shiksa.

And, thanks for the thoughts guys.

Don't they have blintzes at the supermarket there? I can't imagine life without blintzes or bagels. Note to self, get blueberry blintzes next week.

No Latkes? You have my sympathies. My Jewish friends in Brooklyn introduced me to all of them.

koØm
11-27-2013, 10:36 AM
Which begins at sundown tonight. Time for the dreidel again. Shalom.

Happy Chanukkah

WØTKX
11-27-2013, 12:18 PM
Happy Thanksgivukkah! A rare occurrence happening this year. Oh, here's an amusing ditty, and no offense to anyone... I think it's delightful that these holidays are together. I wonder if Adam Sandler will do a commemorative song? ;)

http://youtu.be/pl55YT7j5GU

http://youtu.be/pl55YT7j5GU

http://mentalfloss.com/article/53867/9-hanukkah-thanksgiving-fusion-dishes

http://thanksgivukkahboston.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Happy-Thanksgivukkah-Logo-E-Card-1024x751.jpg

W3WN
11-27-2013, 12:19 PM
Don't they have blintzes at the supermarket there? I can't imagine life without blintzes or bagels. Note to self, get blueberry blintzes next week.

No Latkes? You have my sympathies. My Jewish friends in Brooklyn introduced me to all of them.There are little frozen things, wrapped in plastic and put in boxes, that the supermarkets claim are blintzes. They're close. But they're not the same.

There used to be a local (3 or 4 store) chain in Pittsburgh called Bagelland. They made & sold authentic (NYC style) bagels. Then Bruggers and Einstein Brothers and a few other chains came to town, and Bagelland is gone, history, kerput. So we have bagel-shaped bread, that are almost bagels. They're close. But they're not the same.

No, no latkes. Oh, you can buy a mix in the supermarket called "potato pancakes"... once again, close, not the same.

I miss Cohen's Knishes. The restaurants are long gone, and the parent company (now under a different name due to acquisitions) sells frozen ones, if you can find them. But nobody local carries them.

Such is life in the big city.

N8GAV
11-27-2013, 03:26 PM
Saw that on the news they said that it will be 70,000 years before Hanukkah falls on Thanksgiving again. That's a long time, so don't think anyone here will be around. And is it Chanukkah or Hanukkah? Happy Hanukkah to all our Jewish Islanders

kb2vxa
11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
There are no better bagels than Kosher bagels! I miss Watson's in Irvington, NJ where I bough a bag full for Sunday breakfast with my girlfriend and her parents, great way to start the day. If you want a bagel with a schmeer it's Philadelphia ccchhhream cheese or nothing. Then there Suzy Creamcheese but I digress.

As my lifelong friend Larry Feldman N2HGY says; "Happy Chanookah-nookah!"

Say hello to my leetle friend.

n6hcm
11-28-2013, 04:02 AM
Yeah, but my wife doesn't have the slightest idea on the proper way to make latkes. (Or blintzes, or knishes, or... and we won't even discuss what passes around here for a bagel)

omg! all that stuff, but especially knishes and latkes.

N2NH
11-28-2013, 04:40 AM
There are little frozen things, wrapped in plastic and put in boxes, that the supermarkets claim are blintzes. They're close. But they're not the same.

There used to be a local (3 or 4 store) chain in Pittsburgh called Bagelland. They made & sold authentic (NYC style) bagels. Then Bruggers and Einstein Brothers and a few other chains came to town, and Bagelland is gone, history, kerput. So we have bagel-shaped bread, that are almost bagels. They're close. But they're not the same.

No, no latkes. Oh, you can buy a mix in the supermarket called "potato pancakes"... once again, close, not the same.

I miss Cohen's Knishes. The restaurants are long gone, and the parent company (now under a different name due to acquisitions) sells frozen ones, if you can find them. But nobody local carries them.

Such is life in the big city.

I am lucky. There are a lot of Hasidim in the area and there are a lot of Kosher foods in the supermarkets here. The Knishes are as good as the ones I used to get in Brooklyn, probably because there's a lot of transplanted Brooklynites here. Heck, Nathan's (Coney Island) stopped selling the round knishes about a dozen years ago. Both the garlic and plain ones. I do miss those a lot.

The XYL loves it here. She can even get a bagel with lox or with a schmear. One day we'll drop by the Synagogue and say hi.

W7XF
11-28-2013, 05:25 AM
Knowing Ron's luck, Obama probably pardoned the only kosher turkey :lol::lol:

W3WN
11-28-2013, 04:08 PM
< snip >
And is it Chanukkah or Hanukkah?
< snip >Either. It's a transliteration of the Hebrew word, and the "cha" sound doesn't have a direct corresponding letter in English.

(no, it's not 'cha' as in "cha cha cha"... I can't print it, you'd have to hear it. Think of it as a 'hard' H, as opposed to the 'soft' H you hear in English)

kb2vxa
11-28-2013, 04:46 PM
It's a guttural sound, hack up a goober and add "anaka". (Spit out the goober.) Actually most Jews I've known pronounce it with the H sound, I don't know any Hasidim except my urologist and the subject usually doesn't come up in exams. (;->)