PDA

View Full Version : Watching the Traffic

n2ize
11-26-2013, 11:52 AM
Okay, how many of you are hooked on watching the network traffic flowing across your network as various points, i.e. routers, servers, workstations, etc. I always have a habit of running a traffic analyzer, whether it be a simple "netstat" terminal or a full fledged traffic analyzer/packet sniffer. I find the network is an incredibly busy place and fun to monitor all the time, bet it my local loopback or the interfaces that share my traffic with the outside world.

NQ6U
11-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Ham radio itself is geeky enough all by itself, John, no need to go the extra mile on that.

KG4NEL
11-26-2013, 12:31 PM
Can't say I have.

Now, I just hope my ISP doesn't, either...or at least look at my torrent upload stats :D

n2ize
11-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Ham radio itself is geeky enough all by itself, John, no need to go the extra mile on that.

Hmmmm... I don;t think ham radio is particularly "geeky". Perhaps it's not what the majority finds entertaining but a far cry from biting the heads off of chickens.

n2ize
11-26-2013, 03:21 PM
Can't say I have.

Now, I just hope my ISP doesn't, either...or at least look at my torrent upload stats :D

No need for them to monitor your traffic. The NSA is already doing that. :)

kb2vxa
11-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Packet sniffer? What do packets smell like?

NM5TF
11-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Packet sniffer? What do packets smell like?

kinda like a bicycle seat on a hot Summer day.....:snicker:

n2ize
11-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Good Lawd... I hope this forum hasn't degraded to the point where we have members going around in the summer sniffing bicycle seats... :naughty:

VE7MGF
11-26-2013, 07:46 PM
hasn't ?

koØm
11-26-2013, 09:53 PM
I watch traffic all the time, especially when I'm going out to run errands.

Real Time Highway Cameras (http://www.ohgo.com/dashboard/cincinnati)

KG4NEL
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
No need for them to monitor your traffic. The NSA is already doing that. :)

They're cool, I hope they like my taste in music.

KG4NEL
11-27-2013, 02:38 PM
but a far cry from biting the heads off of chickens.

That's manly.

NQ6U
11-27-2013, 02:40 PM
They're cool, I hope they like my taste in music.

Dear Jim;

Justin Beiber? Seriously?

Sincerely,

Agent X1,
National Security Agency

KG4NEL
11-27-2013, 03:59 PM
This has gone too far!

:twisted:

KC9SQR
11-27-2013, 05:42 PM
Okay, how many of you are hooked on watching the network traffic flowing across your network as various points, i.e. routers, servers, workstations, etc. I always have a habit of running a traffic analyzer, whether it be a simple "netstat" terminal or a full fledged traffic analyzer/packet sniffer. I find the network is an incredibly busy place and fun to monitor all the time, bet it my local loopback or the interfaces that share my traffic with the outside world.

You're not the only one, although I don't watch very often, but it does help diagnose what machine is doing what...
My core router is a Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz machine with 1 gig of ram (Up until a few minutes ago it was a P4 1.8 GHZ) running Pfsense, I can tell exactly what workstation or server is using what, and can even rate limit if I wish to do so.. There are TONS of options, load balancing, failover, too much to really list on here.. That runs to a central switch, and distributes throughout the home from there to other switches and access points in different area's of the home.. From each room I can glance at a switch (each room has one) and see what's going on with the workstations or servers in that room...

I got tired of my old Linksys router being the network bottleneck and decided to go overkill for my router :)

WØTKX
11-27-2013, 06:10 PM
I just ordered an Arris/Motorola SB6141 "Surfboard".
Got tired of Comcast and their mental rental excuses.

I'll manage my own stuff, thenkewvellymuch. :yes:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xnb0ViCjL._SL1500_.jpg

KC9SQR
11-27-2013, 07:41 PM
I just ordered an Arris/Motorola SB6141 "Surfboard".
Got tired of Comcast and their mental rental excuses.

I'll manage my own stuff, thenkewvellymuch. :yes:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71xnb0ViCjL._SL1500_.jpg

That is a VERY good modem, and I'm the same way, I own all my own hardware, screw paying the I think 8 bucks a month they want to rent their modem...

In roughly 10 months you've really bought the hardware and after that the rental fee is all profit for them...
Comcast already gets enough from us as it is lol

NQ6U
11-27-2013, 07:48 PM
Cox Cable put a pop-up on my screen a couple of days ago informing me that they recently implemented a speed bump but that I needed to upgrade my modem to take advantage of it. The pop-up included a link to their site that offered to rent the thing to me for $8.99 a month. Mighty nice of them but, considering I could buy one outright from Amazon for $70 with free shipping, even a math-impaired schmuck like me could figure out that there were better deals than what the greedy coxuckers were offering.

n6hcm
11-28-2013, 03:58 AM
You're not the only one, although I don't watch very often, but it does help diagnose what machine is doing what...
My core router is a Pentium 4, 2.8 ghz machine with 1 gig of ram (Up until a few minutes ago it was a P4 1.8 GHZ) running Pfsense

you can run pfsense on pretty modest hardware and get great results--no need for that much hardware!

KC9SQR
11-28-2013, 09:37 AM
you can run pfsense on pretty modest hardware and get great results--no need for that much hardware!

Oh I know, as little as a 100 mhz... But occasionally I throw lan parties so I wanted to be SURE that the router can handle the traffic and high connection count... Plus I am a FIRM believer in overkill :snicker:

The reason for this much power is I was previously running a linksys wrt54g with DD-WRT on it as my central router (200 mhz processor and 16 megs ram), and it works great... For what it is. There are problems with it though, first off the wan port bottlenecks at 30-35 mbps and the 2nd problem is the fact it can only handle 2,048 simultaneous connections.. So when it gets too much load on it, like more than one pc running torrents, or the middle of a lan party... The router locks up and nothing works until the linksys is rebooted... Not even a ping to google gets through that thing when it locks up... This Pfsense machine can handle 100,000 simultaneous connections with 1 gig of ram. The great part about that is if I EVER need a bigger state table size, I just add more ram :rock:

90% of the time I have power management running maximum power savings.. That tones the processor down to 700 mhz..

CPU Type
Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Current: 699 MHz, Max: 2799 MHz