PDA

View Full Version : Day of the Doctor

kb2crk
11-23-2013, 02:25 PM
For those who are not aware Dr. Who is having a worldwide simulcast of the 50th anniversary episode at 2:50 PM EST on BBC America. It will replay at 7 pm this evening.

kb2vxa
11-23-2013, 05:40 PM
50 years including leap years come out to 22,825 Days Of The Doctor, he deserves more than one.

NQ6U
11-23-2013, 07:22 PM
"Doctor, Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

VE7MGF
11-23-2013, 09:18 PM
expected response

kb2vxa
11-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Obviously not a Whovian. I watched it, another interesting episode from the minds of the BBC AND there's more to the celebration for those interested.

Put de lime in de coconut an' drink dem bo togetha........

KC2UGV
11-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Interesting episode, but kinda a let down; given the lead up into it. It seemed like just another episode, except they had one more doctor in it than they've had before. Kinda cool, however, to see the "forgotten doctor".

W3WN
11-24-2013, 04:36 AM
Interesting episode, but kinda a let down; given the lead up into it. It seemed like just another episode, except they had one more doctor in it than they've had before. Kinda cool, however, to see the "forgotten doctor".Well, they featured the (about to be replaced) current Doctor, the previous one, and (for the first time) the "original" Doctor. Story line was a touch convulted, but that was to be expected. Cameos from all of the previous Doctors (obviously using substitute actors for those who had passed away), most of which were of the blink-and-you'll-miss-it variety.

From the standpoint of the overall continuity, such as it is, they've undone the original Doctor being a mass murderer, and opened the door to, possibly, one day bringing back his home planet, or at least some members thereof.

Nice cameo by Tom Baker (4th Doctor, I believe, and arguably the most popular one) at the end, too.

Have I seen better episodes? Yup. Was it over-hyped? Yup. Still, it wasn't bad. And LMFD will enjoy it; we taped it for her, she was at a National Catholic Youth Conference this weekend, should be home within the hour.

WØTKX
11-24-2013, 09:31 AM
I liked it, will watch it again. BBCA is doing a marathon of the top episodes voted by fans.

This is a great way to catch up. And I liked Tom Baker the best as well.

KG4CGC
11-24-2013, 09:41 AM
Anyone watch Atlantis?
A bit cheesy.

WØTKX
11-24-2013, 09:59 AM
I watched part of it, it was not too bad.
Cheesy is part of the BBC thang, AFAIC.

I've seen an episode of Torchwood, quite good.

KG4CGC
11-24-2013, 10:03 AM
I watched part of it, it was not too bad.
Cheesy is part of the BBC thang, AFAIC.

I've seen an episode of Torchwood, quite good.

Torchwood wasn't cheesy. OK, the "Blessing" was a cheesed up crap effect.

How about a thread merge, ads and modmins?

suddenseer
11-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I'm more of a Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy type of guy.

N2NH
11-27-2013, 01:02 AM
I'm more of a Hitchhikers' Guide To The Galaxy type of guy.

I like that too. Bought the 4 book set and read it all at one time. A couple of days later, someone (not Douglas Addams) wrote book number 5...

Bastids.

Still have room in my SciFi repertoire for The Doctor, Kirk, Janeway, SG-1 and Lexx. :yes:

kb2vxa
11-27-2013, 10:21 PM
Lexx had me hypnotized, or actually it was Zev. <slobber> <drool> A love slave in love with a dead Brunen-G assassin and a 790 robot head in love with her... Where's the fun in THAT?

Yo A O, Hom Var Ray,
Yo A Ra, Jerhume Brunnen G
Way Ro Way, Ro Hanna Ro,
A Way Ro Ra, Jay Hanna Ray
Yo A O, Hom Var Ray,
Yo A Ra, Jerhume Brunnen G

N2NH
01-01-2014, 12:51 PM
The 50th Anniversary Show was replayed last night (New Years Eve). Well done. There have been rumors of the show tying up loose ends for a couple of years. Maybe a few too many were tied up in this episode. Plenty of alternate story-lines (alt time lines/universes?) were generated in the process. Gallifrey being destroyed was definitely a mistake, but SciFi has a way of correcting those that soap operas would be jealous of. I guess Dr. Who is really a Time Opera. Good to see Tom Baker and Colin Baker again. I think Pertwee is gone though (3rd Doctor). Must've missed him in the show. John Hurt did an excellent job as the stand in for Doctor #1 (William Hartnell).

W3WN
01-01-2014, 01:48 PM
Oh, no. John Hurt wasn't Doctor #1. They're calling him the "War Doctor", a previously unrevealed Doctor... I think the retcon is that he regenerated into the War Doctor to fight in the Time War, and when he'd completed his task (originally thought to be the destruction of Gallifrey), regenerated into (or back into) a previously known Doctor.

Yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of logical sense, but just roll with it.

Outside of Tom Baker, I don't think any of the other actors who played the Doctor made a cameo. The short video clips all looked like they were pulled out of filmed episodes, and the final scene in the end of all the known Doctors to date only had a close-up of the War Doctor (John Hurt), Doctor #10 (David Tennant), and Doctor #11 (Matt Smith). Doctor #12 (Peter Capaldi) had a very brief cameo during the gathering of the 13 Doctors, but I don't recall seeing him in close-up during the finale.

BBC America also replayed the last appearance of the 10th Doctor last night ("The End of Time" I think it was called), which included the return of The Master from the dead; the resolution of his wife's prison subplot; and other miscellaneous plot thread & loose ends being tied up. Overall, once you apply the usual suspension of disbelief required for most sci-fi/fantasy, it was a pretty good 2 part episode. It also explained why The Master hasn't been around for awhile, with a door crack open to let him return, somehow, one day.

Timothy Dalton was a totally hoot as the President/Leader of the Time Lords. He looked like he was wearing the same costume that he wore as Cesar in that made-for-TV flick about Cleopatra.

The upshot of all this is a retcon. It was widely "thought" that The Doctor had destroyed Gallifrey to save the Universe from burning in War. We now "know" that all of the Doctors collectively placed Gallifrey into a "pocket universe" to hide and save it. It was originally alleged that Gallifrey would be "frozen" in time, but clearly that is not the case, since we've now scene "evidence" of actions by the Time Lords to return to the known Universe... and actually helped The Doctor survive.

And the Doctor now has a long-term goal of restoring Gallifrey to the Universe, somehow. His "journey" is now a journey "home... the long 'way round"

Well written. Very entertaining. Now if they'd just spend a few bucks on the cheesy costumes! BBC makes NBC's spending on the original Star Trek look expansive!

KG4CGC
01-01-2014, 03:09 PM
That's because BBC spends most of their budget on Top Gear.

kb2vxa
01-01-2014, 04:35 PM
No sense trying to follow the Doctor's current time line, that like the Star Trek movies got all shot to hell.

"Outside of Tom Baker, I don't think any of the other actors who played the Doctor made a cameo."
You don't think so because he was the only Doctor who did and I didn't recognize him aged and not wearing that 18" scarf and overcoat stuffed with jelly babies. Even the Daleks refused them all covered with pocket lint!

"Now if they'd just spend a few bucks on the cheesy costumes!"
But that's part of the FUN! In the early episodes costumes designed for low budget B&W sci-fi B movies were hysterical. My favorite B movie character was the blancmange that ate kids at a dance and you could see hands dragging them in, wish I could remember the title.

THHGTTG stresses the value of PANIC which gives it such endearing qualities. The Vogons demolishing Earth, clearing the way for a new freeway, was the best idea for galactic improvement they ever had. Demolishing Earth was the best improvement, building it was the second, even if like all the others it had its traffic jams. The WORST idea they ever had was widening it to alleviate congestion. Inevitably it led to more traffic and more congestion bringing them like all other highway improvement projects back to square one.

"...someone (not Douglas Addams) wrote book number 5..."
I don't remember Gomez and Morticia having a child named Douglas.

KC9ECI
01-01-2014, 06:16 PM
Nice to see I'm not the only DW geek around here.

W3WN
01-01-2014, 06:35 PM
I like that too. Bought the 4 book set and read it all at one time. A couple of days later, someone (not Douglas Addams) wrote book number 5...

Bastids.

Still have room in my SciFi repertoire for The Doctor, Kirk, Janeway, SG-1 and Lexx. :yes:There's no indication that Mostly Harmless was ghost written by someone else. It certainly has the feel of being written by Douglas Adams.

It's just a very depressing book.

Maybe Marvin wrote it?

KJ3N
01-01-2014, 06:41 PM

You've got plenty of company. Would you like a Jelly Baby?

https://dyn0.media.forbiddenplanet.com/products/91270.jpg.size-285_maxheight-285_square-true.jpg

N2NH
01-01-2014, 06:44 PM

Heck no! Been watching on and off (depending on reception and cable availability) since 1965. ;)

KJ3N
01-01-2014, 06:56 PM
Oh, no. John Hurt wasn't Doctor #1. They're calling him the "War Doctor", a previously unrevealed Doctor... I think the retcon is that he regenerated into the War Doctor to fight in the Time War, and when he'd completed his task (originally thought to be the destruction of Gallifrey), regenerated into (or back into) a previously known Doctor.

Yeah, it doesn't really make a lot of logical sense, but just roll with it.

I think you'll find that the War Doctor regenerated into the 9th Doctor. When the show came back in 2005, Christopher Eccleston's Doctor mentioned that he was the last of the Time Lords.

N2NH
01-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Oh, no. John Hurt wasn't Doctor #1. They're calling him the "War Doctor", a previously unrevealed Doctor...

Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I haven't been able to keep up for about 4-5 years. It was a real treat to see it last night.

KC9ECI
01-01-2014, 10:33 PM
You've got plenty of company. Would you like a Jelly Baby?

https://dyn0.media.forbiddenplanet.com/products/91270.jpg.size-285_maxheight-285_square-true.jpg

Yes please. Jammie Dodgers as well if you have any.

My daughter asked to go to Chicago TARDIS for her birthday, so that's where we went. I think I've got the privacy permissions set right so everyone can see the pics at this link: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10200889600749971&type=1&l=9b3c202f10

kb2vxa
01-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Great pix, I'll bet she had a BLAST! One thing I don't recognize, that odd looking robot. hat's an odd looking Tom Baker regeneration, he put on weight and lost his overcoat stuffed with lint covered jelly babies. Then there's K-9, I nearly fell out of my chair when in one episode a Dalek said "Ignore that little shooty thing." There's a what has undoubtedly become cult classic song floating around out there someplace; I Want A Dalek For Christmas or something like that. Try as I may I can never find it, all I come up with is this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuBJ5H9m3Sc and this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M_2klyOw2Q

kb2vxa
01-01-2014, 11:48 PM
deleted dupe

KC9ECI
01-02-2014, 04:17 PM
The odd robot is a DRD. A Diagnostic Repair Drone from Farscape. Not DW related, but someone had one there and it was cool to see. The guy operating the K-9 robot had it wired for sound and was using a boom mike to interact with the crowd. He was doing a really good job with it. My daughter informed us before we even left that 'next year we are coming back with all access' tickets. I told her she'd better get a job.

kb2vxa
01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Oh no wonder, I didn't follow Farscape as closely as the Doctor. Using a boom mic he didn't do as complete a job with the robot as a member of OBARC did with the home brew little monster he brought to a meeting that I mentioned before. A short recap: he used 6M for control, 70cM ATV for audio/video receive and 2M FM for talk-back. After the meeting in the Elks meeting room he sent it into the adjacent bar to have fun with the bar flies. Still the little shooty thing was fun for all even if the boom mic got in the frame as they sometimes do.

BTW, Claudia Black had a far more interesting role in Stargate SG-1 than she did in Farscape. For those who saw it, you know just what I mean.

KC9ECI
01-03-2014, 11:56 PM
I never got in to Stargate. I enjoyed the movie, just not the series. Someday perhaps I'll watch it. I enjoyed Claudia enough in Farscape, but much preferred Gigi Edgley.