PDA

View Full Version : 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who

N2NH
11-23-2013, 02:19 AM
And Google has a great animated Google Doodle for the occasion.

Fifty years of The Doctor (& K-9).

Official BBC site HERE. (http://www.doctorwho.tv/50-years/)

N2CHX
11-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Cool. The entire fam is seeing it in iMax on Monday.

HUGH
11-23-2013, 12:38 PM
Favourite companion? Probably Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. This lovely lady died at he tender age of 65 and was the only cast member to have her own show (for kiddies but we watched it anyway).

I'm trying to find an old photo I have of a cast-iron paint and inflammables store belonging to the BBC which may have been a model for the Daleks. The Doctor's arch enemy has certainly been imprinted on everyone's mind here.

kb2vxa
11-23-2013, 02:30 PM
_n____n__
/ \---||--<
/___________\
_|____|____|_
_|____|____|_
| | |
--------------
| || || || ||\
| || || || || \++++++++------<
===============
| | | | |
(| O | O| O| O |)
| | | | |
(| O | O | O | O |)
| | | | |
(| O | O | O | O |)
| | | | |
(| O | O | O | O |)
======================
EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

On edit:
Oh dear, it looks like Daleks can't travel at such high speed through the wormhole between my packet radio program and here without getting smashed into the rear of the capsule. (;->)

kb2crk
11-23-2013, 02:36 PM
Wish I had seen this post earlier..... I posted one in the tv board...

KK4AMI
11-23-2013, 02:43 PM
I started watching Doctor Who with No. 4 Tom Baker. My favorite Who's were number 4 and number 11 (Matt Smith). I always liked Sarah Jane Smith and K-9 for companions.

KG4CGC
11-23-2013, 03:02 PM
It's on right now via simulcast of different venues. Try BBCA if you can't find it elsewhere.

N2NH
11-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Favorite Companions, Nyssa, Martha Jones, Sarah Jane, Perri, K-9 and Leela.

Favorite Doctors, Tom Baker, David Tennant, Colin Baker and Jon Pertwee. Haven't seen Matt Smith yet.

Met Jack Harkness at ComiCon a few years back. He was as much fun in real life as in the series and in Torchwood.

N2NH
11-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Wish I had seen this post earlier..... I posted one in the tv board...

No problemo amigo. Have a nacho. ;)

HUGH
11-24-2013, 07:45 AM

Found it. This cast iron "thing" was about 7 feet high, weighed as much as a small car and was designed to contain cans of inflammable liquids. Normally it lived somewhere around the back of the main building at BBC Wood Norton training school but on April 1st we decided it would make a good traffic island in front of the premises.

WØTKX
11-24-2013, 09:28 AM
I watched most of the new "anniversary" show last night, but i kept falling asleep. It's very good, and I will watch it a few more times.
Betts had never seen it before, but BBCA has a special called "Dr. Who Explained". She's been watching a few of the older episodes now.

Not a Whovian, but I have watched on and off over the years, and we just upgraded our cable for a year at no cost for legitimate gripes.
So, BBCA is on the lineup, and we've been enjoying a bunch of their great programming, like the new Atlantis series.

https://forums.hamisland.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=11039&d=1385296919

Keep Right? Proof that Daleks are the perfect representatives for the austerity/Ayn Randian goofs.

Exterminate! Exterminate! :lol:

KG4CGC
11-24-2013, 09:47 AM
The first episode of Atlantis seemed a bit cheesy. Don't know if I'll be able to warm up tp the characters oh and, where have I seen this same story before?

N2NH
11-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Found it. This cast iron "thing" was about 7 feet high, weighed as much as a small car and was designed to contain cans of inflammable liquids. Normally it lived somewhere around the back of the main building at BBC Wood Norton training school but on April 1st we decided it would make a good traffic island in front of the premises.

That's really cool. And not something you'd ever see in the US (at least I've never seen anything like it).

Keep Right? Keep right or what? ;)

kb2vxa
11-24-2013, 02:14 PM
Or you make that big can very upset. Oh BTW, has anyone noticed a certain similarity?

suddenseer
11-24-2013, 09:07 PM
damn, am I that old???? i listened to reruns.

N2NH
11-25-2013, 11:05 AM
damn, am I that old???? i listened to reruns.

Dr. Who was run on WNYC Channel 31, a UHF station. We could barely pick it up, but I remember trying to tune it in back in the spring of 1964. My TV didn't have a UHF setting, so I tried at my friends apartment. His gigantic 19" Portable had a variable UHF tuner and it was really coarse, but we did get a very snowy, staticy picture of it.

I know that feeling of being 'old.'

W3WN
11-25-2013, 12:07 PM
I started watching Doctor Who with No. 4 Tom Baker. My favorite Who's were number 4 and number 11 (Matt Smith). I always liked Sarah Jane Smith and K-9 for companions.And wasn't it great seeing him again?

Little Miss Field Day was away at a Catholic Youth convention Saturday, so we taped it for her. I was watching her face, there at the end, when Baker made his short little cameo -- boy, did her face light up! That was a VERY nice touch.

W3WN
11-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Or you make that big can very upset. Oh BTW, has anyone noticed a certain similarity?During one of the "best of Matt Smith as voted by the fans" episodes, one of the villains (Cybermen, I think?) uttered the immortal line "You will be assimilated!!"

I turned to LMFD and said, "So, they're really the Borg then?"

...it's too bad someone couldn't find a way for The Doctor to show up on the Enterprise. Well, one of the Enterprises, anyway. I know that there are all sorts of legal reasons why it's extremely difficult... but considering that The Doctor is a time traveler... and yes, I know that there's all sorts of non-canon fan fiction on just this subject, that's not what I meant...

KC2UGV
11-25-2013, 12:42 PM
During one of the "best of Matt Smith as voted by the fans" episodes, one of the villains (Cybermen, I think?) uttered the immortal line "You will be assimilated!!"

I turned to LMFD and said, "So, they're really the Borg then?"

...it's too bad someone couldn't find a way for The Doctor to show up on the Enterprise. Well, one of the Enterprises, anyway. I know that there are all sorts of legal reasons why it's extremely difficult... but considering that The Doctor is a time traveler... and yes, I know that there's all sorts of non-canon fan fiction on just this subject, that's not what I meant...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

W3WN
11-25-2013, 02:08 PM
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Doctor_WhoThat's a comic book series. I meant, you should pardon the expression, On Screen.

While the comics may have been "authorized" that doesn't mean that they are, or will remain, Canon. After all, Star Trek: The Animated Series was authorized, but is no longer considered Canon.

... I'd love to read it, though...

kb2vxa
11-25-2013, 09:43 PM
"Dr. Who was run on WNYC Channel 31, a UHF station."
Yep, I'm old, a grumpy OLD bastid. I remember it well, WNYC was a PBS affiliate that went dark years ago and too bad, I enjoyed their Japanese programming on Saturdays. Then channel 13 carried old episodes, some in serial fashion and some serials spliced together as complete episodes. I recorded many serialized ones where the segments were shown consecutively by pausing and recording at the start of the next segment. It wasn't easy since they always showed the end of the previous one, sometimes I started recording a bit too soon causing a flashback effect. Well, the Doctor IS a time lord. (;->) Then they ran out of money to buy the tapes and that ended Doctor Who until I moved down here and found BBCA on cable.

Tom Baker was stone crazy; "Would you like a jelly baby?" Hell no, all covered with pocket lint? Yuch! He had this knack of delivering some nasty insults in scientific terms his enemies never understood, I was ROTFLOL. That 18' multicolored scarf was a nice touch and K9 was stellar, during a battle with the Daleks one said "ignore the little shooty thing" and I cracked up. When I saw him in the anniversary special I didn't recognize him at first for obvious reasons, he didn't regenerate. BTW, that Next Generation site is wrong, he's not 1200 years old, more like 900 and looks younger with every regeneration.

Yep, the Borg are Cybermen without metal exoskeletons. (;->)

That comic book Doctor Who meets Jean Luc Picard site mentions The Battle Of Wolf 359 and the Doctor having to travel back to find out how to defeat the Borg BUT all he had to do was watch The Best Of Both Worlds part 2 to see Data send the command on a subroutine that put them all in their regeneration booths. Good thing Picard's will was strong enough to override Locutus of Borg and say "sleep". BTW I like those plasma toys at the top of the booths, one of many used in the series.

"That's a comic book series. I meant, you should pardon the expression, On Screen."
That would be interesting, Patrick Stewart and Marina Sirtis speak with British accents and Colm Meaney's Irish is faint but recognizable. BTW Marina's accent is cultivated, off screen her Cockney comes out.

"... I'd love to read it, though..."
There are plenty of Star Trek novels floating around, many written by fans. There's one about the prototype NCC-1700 piloted by Kirk's father and recklessness must run in the family, he crashed it. Too bad Enterprise flew so far off course it didn't resemble the beginnings of the series and movies. Speaking of which, since Gene died EVERYTHING went off course, the last two movies aren't even Star Trek.

To borrow the sign/countersign from The Ancient and Honorable Order of Turtles; Are you a Whovian? You bet your sweet ass I am.

W5BRM
11-26-2013, 07:41 AM
Speaking of Kirk's father, who woulda thunk he was Thor? Cant drop links from my phone but if u look at the credits you will see Chris Hemsworth...lol Gods like smashing things so i guess it fits... :lol:

kb2vxa
11-26-2013, 06:27 PM
"Speaking of Kirk's father, who woulda thunk he was Thor?"

Yeah, I can see the family resemblance.

N2NH
11-27-2013, 12:32 AM
Speaking of Kirk's father, who woulda thunk he was Thor? Cant drop links from my phone but if u look at the credits you will see Chris Hemsworth...lol Gods like smashing things so i guess it fits... :lol:

Must've been a hit with those alien babes. Come to think of it, Thor was suited wasn't he? Or unsuited. He didn't wear clothes. Now that's a time-saver.

kb2vxa
11-27-2013, 07:06 PM
He didn't need them in a climate controlled environment and he had nothing to cover. The Asgard don't reproduce, being the gods of ancient Norse legends they're immortal.

N2NH
11-28-2013, 04:45 AM
He didn't need them in a climate controlled environment and he had nothing to cover. The Asgard don't reproduce, being the gods of ancient Norse legends they're immortal.

Uh-oh. There's going to be a lot of pissed Nordic demi-gods...

kb2vxa
11-28-2013, 06:37 PM
How about a Demi goddess?

W3WN
11-29-2013, 04:54 PM
How about a Demi goddess?Well, now that you mention it...

Since she's a Demi Moore, doesn't that mean she's half the thespian that Roger Moore is?

KK4AMI
11-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Well, now that you mention it...

Since she's a Demi Moore, doesn't that mean she's half the thespian that Roger Moore is?

Hmm, So you are saying "Moore or Lass"?

kb2vxa
11-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Perry vunny. <groan>

N2NH
11-30-2013, 05:47 PM
Only if she doesn't make an ashton herself.

K7SGJ
12-04-2013, 11:45 AM
Well, now that you mention it...

Demi Moore has a thing for girls? Who Gnu?

W3WN
12-04-2013, 10:17 PM
Demi Moore has a thing for girls? Who Gnu?Thespian. Not lesbian. C'mon guys, do you have to always have your minds in the gutter?

...never mind, I know the answer to that one.

And Who is on First.

kb2vxa
12-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Cummon, don't you know the T in LGBT stands for thespian?

K7SGJ
12-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Thespian. Not lesbian. C'mon guys, do you have to always have your minds in the gutter?

And Who is on First.

I always get those two cornfused.

Third base.

N2NH
12-06-2013, 03:37 AM
Who?

KG4CGC
12-06-2013, 03:45 AM
Thespian. Not lesbian. C'mon guys, do you have to always have your minds in the gutter?

And Who is on First.
I'd hit it. Oh and the knitter too.