PDA

View Full Version : Phantom DVD

n2ize
11-22-2013, 07:11 AM
If this isn't the craziest thing. I put a blank DVD into the drive and burned some files to it. The burning was a success and the disc reads just fine. Now, here is where it gets weird. I ejected the disk to label it and LOW and BEHOLD... the tray ejects but there is no disc in the tray. I know I put a disc in there and I copied to it. I even kept the drive ipen and shone a light in there and I can't even see if/where it might be stuck. I have never in my life had an optical disc get stuck and hidden in a drive where it doesn't come out on eject.

I am going to try and eject it again and see what happens. In a worst case scenario I guess I'll have to physically remove the drive and open the drive to see just what the f*ck is going on. Of all the stupid and sick things I have had happen with computers this is the craziest yet.

KC2UGV
11-22-2013, 07:57 AM
There is no disc. It only exists in your mind. You bend you mind, and the disc will show.

n2ize
11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
There is no disc. It only exists in your mind. You bend you mind, and the disc will show.

And it magically reappeared. After reading the disc for a bit I hit "eject" and the tray opened with the disc in it. Must have gotten stuck. The machine is a narrow desktop and the DVD drive is mounted sideways. While it is convenient and allows for a smaller, slimmer case I don't like sideways mounting of optical drives. In any event it's the configuration I am stuck with. I might get myself an external USB optical drive for general use. Then again, I don't use optical discs that often so, its not a major issue.

K7SGJ
11-22-2013, 02:27 PM
And it magically reappeared. After reading the disc for a bit I hit "eject" and the tray opened with the disc in it. Must have gotten stuck. The machine is a narrow desktop and the DVD drive is mounted sideways. While it is convenient and allows for a smaller, slimmer case I don't like sideways mounting of optical drives. In any event it's the configuration I am stuck with. I might get myself an external USB optical drive for general use. Then again, I don't use optical discs that often so, its not a major issue.

Have you misplaced any chewing gum lately?

W3WN
11-22-2013, 04:07 PM
In the early days of wide-spread CD-ROM's in desktops... back when I was at the Engineering firm, I got called over by a secretary administrative assistant who had "lost" a CD in the computer. Sure enough, opened the drive tray, no disc.

Anyone want to guess where it was?

She'd put it in the crack between a plastic drive tray cover and the top of the CD-ROM. When I opened the case up... there it was. Along with 3 others.

K7SGJ
11-22-2013, 04:20 PM
In the early days of wide-spread CD-ROM's in desktops... back when I was at the Engineering firm, I got called over by a secretary administrative assistant who had "lost" a CD in the computer. Sure enough, opened the drive tray, no disc.

Anyone want to guess where it was?

She'd put it in the crack between a plastic drive tray cover and the top of the CD-ROM. When I opened the case up... there it was. Along with 3 others.

Yeah, them sneeky cracks can hide all kinds of stuff. Ya just gotta be real careful sticking your hands in there.

kb2vxa
11-22-2013, 05:25 PM
If you want to stick your hand in the crack I won't stop you but don't expect ME to stick MINE in there!

W3WN
11-22-2013, 05:43 PM
Yeah, them sneeky cracks can hide all kinds of stuff. Ya just gotta be real careful sticking your hands in there.
If you want to stick your hand in the crack I won't stop you but don't expect ME to stick MINE in there!There are limits. That's one of mine.

n2ize
11-23-2013, 08:31 PM
Have you misplaced any chewing gum lately?

Hah !! No. i don't chew gum... It is a very dependable drive. I was using it on my older 32 bit machine for a year. Never had a problem. Due to the slim case the drive is mounted vertically rather than horizontally. That may have had something to do with it. it has been working fine since. Ran a few DVD's and CD's through it today and , except for one that wouldn't play they all read and ejaculated from the drive perfectly.

kb2vxa
11-24-2013, 05:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEp8mebBsAI