PDA

View Full Version : W3VEX Fired

W3WN
11-18-2013, 03:38 PM
Syndicated conservative talk-show hosts Jim Quinn & Rose Tennent are off the air. News reports indicate that their contracts were not renewed (either they could not agree to terms with Clear Channel, or they were fired)

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2013/11/18/Conservative-hosts-Jim-Quinn-Rose-Tennent-out-at-WPGB/stories/201311180151

Quinn is W3VEX. AE7Q shows his previous call was WA2VEX, although I thought the louse had a 3rd district 2x3 at one point.

WX7P
11-18-2013, 03:50 PM
Syndicated conservative talk-show hosts Jim Quinn & Rose Tennent are off the air. News reports indicate that their contracts were not renewed (either they could not agree to terms with Clear Channel, or they were fired)

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/tv-radio/2013/11/18/Conservative-hosts-Jim-Quinn-Rose-Tennent-out-at-WPGB/stories/201311180151

Quinn is W3VEX. AE7Q shows his previous call was WA2VEX, although I thought the louse had a 3rd district 2x3 at one point.

No loss. Just another for-profit right wing C-lister out on his ass.

Unfortunately, they'll probably replace him with someone worse.

KG4CGC
11-18-2013, 03:54 PM
No loss. Just another for-profit right wing C-lister out on his ass.

Unfortunately, they'll probably replace him with someone worse.

Yep. About a year ago the BJU radio station was bought out or partnered with and now it's a powerhouse GOP Conservative Talk station on the lower part of the FMBCB right beside all the weaker PBS stations.
They carry all the Fire and Brimstone nutballs of the GOP's Fire Brand.

W3WN
11-18-2013, 04:01 PM
It may be purely a coincidence, but Quinn was working as a radio DJ at KQV AM about the same time as another radio schmuck, going by the name at the time of Jeff Christie.

20 years ago, he was teamed with another character as the "Quinn & Bannana Show" on B-94FM (now KDKA FM), which for over a decade was the top FM morning show in Pittsburgh. They got involved in a lawsuit for sexual harrassment with the news reader (they lost, which cost them quite a few shekels). At one point, they entered and exited the station under covers in the back of a pickup-truck driven by the assistant Chief Engineer, to avoid being served. (That ham was the best man at my wedding).

Anyway, after he left B94, he fell on some difficult times... I seem to recall a news report that said his income had dropped by something like 90%, and he'd had to sell his house. But the "war room" gig had revived his career.

And yes, he's a louse. He stiffed me on a call-in trivia question once, and my friend (the ass't CE) once "loaned" him several of my novelty 45's... which I never got back.

WX7P
11-18-2013, 04:18 PM
It may be purely a coincidence, but Quinn was working as a radio DJ at KQV AM about the same time as another radio schmuck, going by the name at the time of Jeff Christie.

20 years ago, he was teamed with another character as the "Quinn & Bannana Show" on B-94FM (now KDKA FM), which for over a decade was the top FM morning show in Pittsburgh. They got involved in a lawsuit for sexual harrassment with the news reader (they lost, which cost them quite a few shekels). At one point, they entered and exited the station under covers in the back of a pickup-truck driven by the assistant Chief Engineer, to avoid being served. (That ham was the best man at my wedding).

Anyway, after he left B94, he fell on some difficult times... I seem to recall a news report that said his income had dropped by something like 90%, and he'd had to sell his house. But the "war room" gig had revived his career.

And yes, he's a louse. He stiffed me on a call-in trivia question once, and my friend (the ass't CE) once "loaned" him several of my novelty 45's... which I never got back.

Nice.

Question. I should know the answer to this but I don't.

Why does a broadcast station in PA have a "K" callsign?

N7YA
11-18-2013, 05:06 PM
They paid the Vanity fee? :dunno:

suddenseer
11-18-2013, 06:01 PM
Every rule has it's exceptions.

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

WX7P
11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Every rule has it's exceptions.

http://earlyradiohistory.us/kwtrivia.htm

Very cool, Tim.

Thanks!

KG4NEL
11-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Yep. About a year ago the BJU radio station was bought out or partnered with and now it's a powerhouse GOP Conservative Talk station on the lower part of the FMBCB right beside all the weaker PBS stations.
They carry all the Fire and Brimstone nutballs of the GOP's Fire Brand.

I've given up listening to anything on FM other than college radio - luckily, between Duke, UNC, NCSU and NCCU in full-quieting range there's enough stuff to be interesting.

KJ3N
11-18-2013, 06:42 PM
I've given up listening to anything on FM other than college radio - luckily, between Duke, UNC, NCSU and NCCU in full-quieting range there's enough stuff to be interesting.

Around here, we have FM stations that play music. Imagine that.....

K7SGJ
11-18-2013, 07:03 PM

Who Gnu?

NA4BH
11-18-2013, 07:06 PM
Who Gnu?

Beasts me

K7SGJ
11-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Beasts me

Ever been to Minnesota?

KG4NEL
11-18-2013, 07:46 PM

Technically, I guess even Top 40 counts as "music"...

Maybe...

K7SGJ
11-18-2013, 08:07 PM

Maybe...

It certainly did in the 60s. MoTown, British Invasion, Shadows, Beachboys, and on and on.............

KJ3N
11-18-2013, 09:17 PM

Maybe...

Top 40 from what era and what demographic? Around here, they cover everything from the 60s thru today.

Now, if you want to listen to Bach, Mozart, Wagner, and Chopin, you're out of luck.

KG4CGC
11-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Furman and Clemson have campus stations as well as Isothermal Community College in Spindale NC. If USC has one on one of their satellite campuses then I haven't found it yet.
Furman is 85 watts and Clemson is 600 watts. Isothermal gets 17.5K partly because they run theirs in conjunction with PBS, NPR and ETV Radio.

W2NAP
11-19-2013, 01:20 AM
Nice. Question. I should know the answer to this but I don't. Why does a broadcast station in PA have a "K" callsign?i think a few stations east of the miss have a K call.. and a few west have a w call... (one of the W calls is in Texas... collage station cant think of the call sign.)

W3WN
11-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Nice.

Question. I should know the answer to this but I don't.

Why does a broadcast station in PA have a "K" callsign?Why not?

Actually, there are three broadcasters with a K call in PA -- KDKA, KQV and KYW.

W3WN
11-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Who Gnu?No, no, no. Who is on first.

W3WN
11-19-2013, 08:07 AM
i think a few stations east of the miss have a K call.. and a few west have a w call... (one of the W calls is in Texas... collage station cant think of the call sign.)Just about all of the anomalies come from the earliest days of what we now know of as commercial broadcast radio. The link Tim mentioned earlier in the thread explains most of these.

Incidentally, I can think of at least one famous US Government station that didn't change it's call when it was relocated west. But I'm sure everyone is familiar with this one.

KG4NEL
11-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Two of 'em, actually...

W2NAP
11-19-2013, 04:57 PM
Just about all of the anomalies come from the earliest days of what we now know of as commercial broadcast radio. The link Tim mentioned earlier in the thread explains most of these.Incidentally, I can think of at least one famous US Government station that didn't change it's call when it was relocated west. But I'm sure everyone is familiar with this one.if i remember correctly. a Michigan station got a K call issued not long ago. (2000s)edit.. Michigan station got it issued in 1980 KTGG also in the wiki for ktgg is this gem However, KTGG wasn't the last broadcaster with this distinction: a new station in Napeague, New York was originally dubbed KCBE in 2008 by the FCC, before changing to WEGB in 2009.

W3WN
11-19-2013, 09:41 PM
From what I've read, it sounds like the FCC may, on request, grant a station a K or W call even if they're on the "wrong" side of the dividing line.

And as hams, this should be something we're used to... out of district calls, anyone?

BTW, a bit of trivia for you...

KDKA is considered the world's "first" Broadcaster. (Specifically, Westinghouse was issued the first commercial license for a station that was intended to broadcast, that is to say, transmit one way transmissions intended for reception by the general public). But they were not the first to broadcast (as we know the term today, it didn't come into play until the mid 1920's)... and they're not the "oldest" broadcaster. KQV has roots in an experimental station (8ZAE) that predate KDKA's predecessor (Dr. Frank Conrad's 8XK) by several years -- possibly back to 1912, at least back to 1916.

n6hcm
11-20-2013, 01:25 AM

i should check out UNC and NCSU's stations ... i did some cool work at NCSU ages ago, and i'm a student at UNC this semester.

KG4NEL
11-20-2013, 01:41 AM
You have any ham gear with you? I guess I should get on the repeaters more, a 6 call would have stood out, lol.

N8GAV
11-20-2013, 10:11 AM
From what I've read, it sounds like the FCC may, on request, grant a station a K or W call even if they're on the "wrong" side of the dividing line.

And as hams, this should be something we're used to... out of district calls, anyone?

BTW, a bit of trivia for you...

KDKA is considered the world's "first" Broadcaster. (Specifically, Westinghouse was issued the first commercial license for a station that was intended to broadcast, that is to say, transmit one way transmissions intended for reception by the general public). But they were not the first to broadcast (as we know the term today, it didn't come into play until the mid 1920's)... and they're not the "oldest" broadcaster. KQV has roots in an experimental station (8ZAE) that predate KDKA's predecessor (Dr. Frank Conrad's 8XK) by several years -- possibly back to 1912, at least back to 1916.

I think the 1912 date is right for KQV or 8ZAE and it had something to do with commercial naigation of the three rivers Ron, or maybe that was WAMO, I foget now.

W3WN
11-20-2013, 10:46 AM
I think the 1912 date is right for KQV or 8ZAE and it had something to do with commercial navigation of the three rivers Ron, or maybe that was WAMO, I forget now.WAMO was named after the three rivers that converge at the Point in Pittsburgh: Allegheny, Monongahela, Ohio.

And allegedly, KQV stood for "King of Quaker Valley". Sure.

KDKA, of course, doesn't stand for anything. It was simply the next commercial license handed out... and in those days, that meant ship-to-shore type communication. It was just the next "maritime" call handed out in sequence. Story is that at some point in the 1930's, either the FCC or it's predecessor, the Federal Radio Commission, offered Westinghouse the WAA call, to indicate that KD was the "first" broadcaster. Westinghouse declined the offer.

Besides KQV, there are several other broadcasters that can date the start of the service prior to KDKA's official start. WWJ Detroit started broadcasting 2 months prior to KD (as WBL). The Univ of Wisconsin-Madison station, 9XM, was broadcasting music as early as 1919 or 1921, depending on the source... it morphed into WHA. The predecessor's of today's KCBS date back to 1909. All of these are amongst the surviving pioneers of Broadcasting.

That aside, though, KDKA was issued the first commercial license to Broadcast, and that is not in dispute.

n2ize
11-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Top 40 from what era and what demographic? Around here, they cover everything from the 60s thru today.

Now, if you want to listen to Bach, Mozart, Wagner, and Chopin, you're out of luck.

Round here you can still listen to classical music on WQXR FM. There are also a couple good jazz stations, namely WKCR with jazz scholar Phil Schapp.

kb2vxa
11-25-2013, 07:36 PM
WQXR has quite a history, it started as experimental W2XR and the present callsign reflects it. WQXR AM operated on 1560 with a bandwidth of 20KHz from 1945 to 1992 broadcasting classical with barely enough peak limiting to keep the transmitter from over-modulating, the dynamics were fantastic. The callsign changed to WQEW when they became a Radio Disney affiliate. They used to have the original carbon mic in a display case, I wonder what happened to it.

WQXR-FM (105.9 MHz) is licensed to and serving the New York City metropolitan area. It is the most-listened-to classical music station in the United States, with an average quarter-hour audience of 63,000. On the air since 1939, the station is also one of the oldest continuously operating FM stations in the world. The transmitter is on Empire so they have one heck of a coverage area. An interesting note, studios are at 160 Varick Street in Manhattan not far from the FCC at 201. (;->)