PDA

View Full Version : systemd vs sysV

n2ize
11-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Noticed the new Fedora is using Systemd initialization as opposed to its predecessor systemd. So far I like systemd, in particular parallelization and state rollback. The parallelization allows for much faster startup's and shutdowns as well as on demand startups. Under SysV a typical boot could take a while to initialize and then spawn all required daemons. With parallelization all this happens quickly and a typical boot takes only a matter of seconds. The only drawback is that I need to spend a bit of time familiarizing myself with some of the configuration and manipulation, although Systemd is supposed to be relatively reverser compatable with SysV init.

Just wondering, have other popular distros of Linux made the full transition to Systemd yet ? Fedora was among the first but I heard Ubuntu was going to be implementing Systemd as well. just wondering if they have migrated over in their more recent distros.

So far I like it. Anyone else have any feelings on the switch over to systemd ?

n6hcm
11-18-2013, 03:52 AM
for me it's mostly a "everything you know is wrong" opportunity to learn something new that i won't need in a year or so. so meh.

WØTKX
11-18-2013, 12:26 PM
Mint does not have it yet. But I just read up about. Intriguing.

We have just installed new ARM processor based Lane Controller "PC's" at work. The development teams (both internal and hired guns/vendors) have been using Fedora "tweaked flavors" for a long time.

Wonder if they are doing this on the new builds... :chin:

n2ize
11-18-2013, 02:20 PM
for me it's mostly a "everything you know is wrong" opportunity to learn something new that i won't need in a year or so. so meh.

Are you saying that they'll have something even better in a short time ? SysV init was the standard for a long time and if Systemd holds its ground for half as long before something else comes along it will have done pretty good. What I mainly like is the parallelization... much faster startups. And although i haven't done any significant testing it is supposed to be more or less backwards compatible with SysV init in as far as being able to execute sysV init scripts and utilize some of the daemon management commands that we've grown to love over the years...like "chkconfig", etc.. Again, I haven't thoroughly tested it myself yet so I can only go by what I've read rather than personal experience. Thus far I see it not so much as a "replacement" for SysV init (since it basically does the same thing) but an enhancement, i.e. System V init with more features, faster, more robust. Only drawback is that there is still a bit of a learning curve going from init to systemd but so far it doesn;t appear to be all that critical and the sort of thing you can learn as needed as you go along. Sort of the way I've been learning to manage SELinux. Little by little as needed

n2ize
11-18-2013, 02:26 PM
Mint does not have it yet. But I just read up about. Intriguing.

We have just installed new ARM processor based Lane Controller "PC's" at work. The development teams (both internal and hired guns/vendors) have been using Fedora "tweaked flavors" for a long time.

Wonder if they are doing this on the new builds... :chin:

Not sure, but it can also handle things like system logging. job scheduling, etc. Thus far I like it but time will tell. I am sure you can do a rebuild with systemd enabled to try it or just dump the latest Fedora on a spare partition and give it a whirl.