PDA

View Full Version : Scotch

KB3LAZ
11-16-2013, 01:35 PM
So, not being a drinker, I have a question. I know that my wife is a scotch drinker and she has more than a few bottles in the kitchen. Now, she likes something crude with a kick from time to time but there is never a lack of J&B in the cupboard. However, she also likes smooth and mellow at times. I was going to pick her up a bottle to surprise her. Any suggestions on this?

I thought I saw her eyeballing a bottle of what I think was called Cardhu. It comes in what looks to be a leather box and is aged 12 years. There is some kind of gift pack with that and a glass for 22€ which seems good as the standard price on the shelf is 46€.

If it helps, she drinks it one of two ways. Watered back or with ice. Which I think would have the same effect.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 01:40 PM
That's not a bad brand. But what is something special? MaCallan 21 is a good starting place for something special.
Now on the other end. Bite? Or Kerosine? Bite=Cutty Sark. Kerosine=Inver House.

KB3LAZ
11-16-2013, 01:47 PM
Yeah...the price I saw online just now was over $200 a bottle. My wife would kill me. Gifts that are not for Xmas are not allowed to exceed 50€. She does not like it if I spend a lot of cash on her.

KG4NEL
11-16-2013, 01:55 PM
IMHO - Macallan is highly overrated. The oldest I've had was the 18, and while it's good, it's not worth the premium over something like a Glenmorangie or Oban which can be had for reasonable prices.

Lagavulin is probably my favorite at the moment, but I love the Islay malts. Mo peat mo better. ;) There's also a quarter-cask Laphroaig that I recently finished, but it's 100 proof and not filtered as much as the regular stuff. Definitely commands some respect...

Ardbeg is another Islay that's worth a look - they supposedly have darker, peatier varieties available abroad than what they sell in the States. The bastids.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 01:58 PM
Then may I recommend Isle of Jura?
http://www.whisky.com/brands/jura_brand.html
That may be the higher brand, I think the other one just called Jura.
http://www.jurawhisky.com/age-gate?ref=/

KB3LAZ
11-16-2013, 02:13 PM
Then may I recommend Isle of Jura?
http://www.whisky.com/brands/jura_brand.html
That may be the higher brand, I think the other one just called Jura.
http://www.jurawhisky.com/age-gate?ref=/

I will take a look and see if we have it at the local place. Looks to be about 40€, which is in the range. :)

Sadly, I just can't get into it myself. I've tried some of what the wife has. Things such as J&B, Johnnie Walker, and the aforementioned Cutty shark. None of which were to my liking. My wife just looks at me and tells me that I am not a drinker, lol.

KB3LAZ
11-16-2013, 02:14 PM
IMHO - Macallan is highly overrated. The oldest I've had was the 18, and while it's good, it's not worth the premium over something like a Glenmorangie or Oban which can be had for reasonable prices.

Lagavulin is probably my favorite at the moment, but I love the Islay malts. Mo peat mo better. ;) There's also a quarter-cask Laphroaig that I recently finished, but it's 100 proof and not filtered as much as the regular stuff. Definitely commands some respect...

Ardbeg is another Islay that's worth a look - they supposedly have darker, peatier varieties available abroad than what they sell in the States. The bastids.

I am pretty sure I saw Lagavulin at the store.

NQ6U
11-16-2013, 02:16 PM
IMHO, the best use for J&B is as a solvent, or for emergency relief of toothache pain.

KB3LAZ
11-16-2013, 02:18 PM
IMHO, the best use for J&B is as a solvent, or for emergency relief of toothache pain.

Well, it tastes like jet fuel, to me.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 03:22 PM
MaCallan 18 is shit compared to MaCallan 21. MaCallan 18 tastes like something I could pick up for 30 to 40 $$$ at SC prices. That means the tax is as much as the liquor.

K7SGJ
11-16-2013, 04:18 PM

Soda ya think she'd like more Scotch?

n2ize
11-17-2013, 07:17 AM

To me anything with alcohol in it tastes like crap.

KG4NEL
11-17-2013, 04:31 PM
My condolences.

KB3LAZ
11-17-2013, 08:43 PM
To me anything with alcohol in it tastes like crap.

I'm not much of a drinker. A drink with dinner is about it for me. More often than not that drink is beer. However, I do like a spot of Amaretto now and again or a Mojito. On the other hand, my wife likes Gin, Rum, Whiskey (Bourbon or Scotch), and many other things. She does not drink often or much at a time but we have a hell of a lot of booze in the house. I could probably use it to fly home in a small plane.

KG4CGC
11-17-2013, 09:04 PM
Alcohol help to create civilization as we know it. Once beer was discovered, farming began. Once distillation was discovered, the first positive steps towards improving drinking water began.

HUGH
11-19-2013, 02:52 PM
Alcohol help to create civilization as we know it. Once beer was discovered, farming began. Once distillation was discovered, the first positive steps towards improving drinking water began.

Glen Moray (if you can find it) is undated (I think it's mixed vintages due to distilleries being sold off), gentle and almost sweet. Next is Glenmorangie which is dated, both are budget-priced and 40% to 45% proof.

KK4AMI
11-20-2013, 03:03 PM

Glen Moray (if you can find it) is undated (I think it's mixed vintages due to distilleries being sold off), gentle and almost sweet. Next is Glenmorangie which is dated, both are budget-priced and 40% to 45% proof.

I just saw an ad for Glenmorangie. I hope you mean 40% to 50 % alcohol, if it was Proof, it'll be a little lean in my book. I balance cost vs taste now. I can swear by George Dickel No. 8 Whisky (Spelled the way the Scotch spell it). It goes down a little too easy sometimes:fever:

Just to confuse things, it's a Tennessee Whiskey made the way the Scotch make it and owned by an English company called Diageo.

KG4NEL
11-20-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure I've ever seen the 100 proof 'morangie, mostly the 80 proof around here.

That non-chill filtered Laphroaig had a bite to it, I spent New Year's Day this year recovering from it :D

N2NH
11-22-2013, 02:53 AM
I always liked Pinch and Chivas Regal when I drank. Dewar's was great too. If she likes it a bit stronger there's the Bacardi Rums that mix with nearly anything and Bacardi 151 is like Rocket fuel. Careful if you smoke and drink. They use 151 for flaming ice cream dishes.

K7SGJ
11-22-2013, 10:01 AM

NQ6U
11-22-2013, 10:31 AM
I always buy Great Value scotch. Not the best in the world but it's cheap, comes in a plastic five-gallon bucket that lasts me at least a week and mixing in a little kerosene improves the flavor considerably.

K7SGJ
11-22-2013, 11:06 AM
I always buy Great Value scotch. Not the best in the world but it's cheap, comes in a plastic five-gallon bucket that lasts me at least a week and mixing in a little kerosene improves the flavor considerably.

And when you're done. you have a nice bucket. About $5 at Lowes

W7XF
11-28-2013, 05:34 AM
Great Value Scotch?? Who gnu?

FWIW I can't stand alcohol in any form, INCLUDING in gasoline.