PDA

View Full Version : The Coffee Lovers Thread.

N2NH
11-12-2013, 10:31 AM
We just tried the African blend by 8 O'clock coffee.

One of the smoothest coffees I've ever tasted. Strong, but not like a kick in the mouth, which is usually how I like to drink it. For that we use Chock Full O'nuts New York blend.

KC2UGV
11-12-2013, 11:10 AM
How did you brew it? Drip, press, etc?

I'm dyed in the wool french press (For now) advocate. It can turn Folgers into a decent cup of coffee.

n2ize
11-12-2013, 12:09 PM
We just tried the African blend by 8 O'clock coffee.

One of the smoothest coffees I've ever tasted. Strong, but not like a kick in the mouth, which is usually how I like to drink it. For that we use Chock Full O'nuts New York blend.

Ever try Vietnamese coffee ? Best I ever tried. My GF who is of the English persuasion never touches coffee. She will only drink tea, as a proper English lady should.

NY4Q
11-12-2013, 12:10 PM
I'm dyed in the wool french press (For now) advocate. It can turn Folgers into a decent cup of coffee.

I'd never heard of a French Press Coffee pot so I watched a youtube video on how to use one. Now if I could just get someone to do all that for me... haha

We currently have a bag of Dark Roast Gevalia in the house. Its decent. Drip Brewed.

KC2UGV
11-12-2013, 12:26 PM
I'd never heard of a French Press Coffee pot so I watched a youtube video on how to use one. Now if I could just get someone to do all that for me... haha

We currently have a bag of Dark Roast Gevalia in the house. Its decent. Drip Brewed.

It's actually easier, and faster than drip. The only pain is washing it out. You can get some of the benefits by using a metal filter in a drip maker, rather than a paper filter (Which absorbs the oils from the coffee).

kb2vxa
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
A little farther east in Indonesia there's Kopi Luwak. I got a laugh out of the Pawn Stars episode when Chumlee broke the coffee maker and replaced it with the most expensive one there is. If that didn't piss the "old man" enough he bought the most expensive coffee available. Instant fail, he exclaimed it was the best coffee he ever had... until he found out what it is.

"...a kick in the mouth, which is usually how I like to drink it. For that we use Chock Full O'nuts New York blend."

Anything New York is a kick in the something, it just depends on where you want to get kicked.

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 02:21 PM
I think I actually saw that part, of that episode, while riding the remote surfboard. Rick wouldn't touch it. The Old Man called it the nectar of the gods.

N2NH
11-12-2013, 02:24 PM
How did you brew it? Drip, press, etc?

Cuisinart coffee maker (a gift), paper filter and well water. All I can say is YUM! Usually Arabica or Javan coffees are my favorites.

Ever try Vietnamese coffee ? Best I ever tried. My GF who is of the English persuasion never touches coffee. She will only drink tea, as a proper English lady should.

Wife #2 was a Brit. Drank both and got me started on tea with milk. PG Tips and Lyons are excellent. Otherwise Bromley or Tetley does it.

Never had Vietnamese coffee. That's next on the to do list. Love to drink cappucino too, but never used a french press so far. Had a Krups cappucino/expresso machine for that. I don't know how to frother with a french press...

KG4NEL
11-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Coffee, to me, is like pizza - it has to be really, really bad before I won't have it. That being said, I try to get something at least one level up from Folger's at home.

Ever since quitting soda 5 years ago, my intake has quadrupled :D

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 02:49 PM
Coffee, to me, is like pizza - it has to be really, really bad before I won't have it. That being said, I try to get something at least one level up from Folger's at home.

That's kinda my MO, too. I do like to try coffees I've never had before, and pretty much use the Keurig, and use it with a refillable/reusable doo-dah. I don't usually like "designer" coffee, but my daughter gave me some Pecan coffee from Texas last year, and I like that once in a while, as well as vanilla flavored. Still do the Folgers and beans from Costco to save a few bucks. I do like to use the press when I'm ambitious, and well water is a must; of course that's all we have, anyway.

n2ize
11-12-2013, 04:17 PM

I'm just the opposite with respect to pizza. It has to be very very good before I'll touch it.

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 05:54 PM
I'm just the opposite with respect to pizza. It has to be very very good before I'll touch it.

Of course you are. ;)

N2NH
11-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Of course you are. ;)

Now he really is Opposite Man. As opposed to Adipose Man.

n2ize
11-12-2013, 06:33 PM
http://web.gracesgraphics.com/1/68540520c4a1e0324d.jpg

KG4NEL
11-12-2013, 07:04 PM
My favorite place to get a Cuban sandwich here does Americanos made with this:

http://www.tune-in-tokyo.com/wp-content/uploads/bustelo.jpg

nom nom nom

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Espresso is part coffee, part tradition and part ritual.

KJ3N
11-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Haven't been a regular coffee drinker since I was 19. In fact, I doubt I've had more than 5 cups of coffee since age 19.

Give me tea and I'm a happy guy. This place (http://www.nottinghall.com/) has a lot to choose from.

kb2crk
11-12-2013, 09:27 PM
Coffee!!!!! Any kind, any where, any day.......
I never start a day with out a pot or two....

NQ6U
11-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Two home-brewed lattes every morning before the engine starts to turn over.

kb2crk
11-13-2013, 05:47 AM
filling up my 42 oz mug for the drive to work,,,

KG4CGC
11-13-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm having coffee right now. Drip coffee. Between the coffee and the cold temps today,
MY NIPPLES ARE SO HARD THEY COULD ETCH GLASS!

Ah, yeah. You're not unseeing that.

NQ6U
11-13-2013, 12:18 PM

http://badfic.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/brain_bleach.jpg

K7SGJ
11-13-2013, 12:30 PM
I'm having coffee right now. Drip coffee. Between the coffee and the cold temps today,

From how far away?

KG4CGC
11-13-2013, 12:45 PM
From how far away?

A good fortnight.

kb2vxa
11-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Well, you could do engraving... if there's a pantograph big enough to fit you. Etching glass is done with wax and hydrofluoric acid, or a tame alien.

KG4NEL
11-13-2013, 02:33 PM
A good fortnight.

When I had 8ga rings in mine, this was always the kind of weather that really made them noticeable.

Part of me wants to get them re-done, but I also run a lot more than I did back then...and I'd never go to that gauge again. Enough to get out of cheese-grater territory, but no more.

n6hcm
11-13-2013, 08:35 PM
It's actually easier, and faster than drip. The only pain is washing it out. You can get some of the benefits by using a metal filter in a drip maker, rather than a paper filter (Which absorbs the oils from the coffee).

Pro-tip: once you pour the hot water in, stir it just a bit. improves things dramatically.

n6hcm
11-13-2013, 08:37 PM

this made me LOL so hard one of the scientists came over to tell me to STFU!

KG4CGC
11-13-2013, 09:14 PM
this made me LOL so hard one of the scientists came over to tell me to STFU!

Filthy Bastid! How dare he ... or she.

W7XF
11-13-2013, 11:31 PM
filling up my 42 oz mug 55 gallon drum for the drive to work,,,

I know better.....you and I both need mass quantites of coffee just to function :hyper::hyper::giggity:

W7XF
11-13-2013, 11:33 PM

KG4CGC
11-14-2013, 12:10 AM
--- .... .-. . .- .-.. .-.. -.-- ..--..

NA4BH
11-14-2013, 12:36 AM

Nice work

http://www.customglassdoors.com/etched/butterflygarden.jpg

KG4CGC
11-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Nice work

http://www.customglassdoors.com/etched/butterflygarden.jpg
http://snowflakes.barkleyus.com/