PDA

View Full Version : KVM Switches

n2ize
11-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I just received a new Dell desktop system. It's relatively basic a dual core 64 bit machine with Windoze 8 preinstalled. I got it because I had a 200 dollar gift certificate that had to be used so by paying the difference it cost me less than 150 bucks. I haven't even unpacket it or tested it yet, I'll do that later. In any event I want to use it to replace the old 32 bit single core machine that I am currently using. However, I don;t intend to entirely decomission the old machine as there are some dedicated programs that I want to us it for. Basically I am going to yank the Windows 8 drive from the new machine and replace it with a new drive and install Linux so it will be more or less a Linux only box. If I need Windows I have 2 other computers in the house for that + this old dual boot machine.

Okay, now that I've given my lifes history here is my question. I don;t want to have to run a separate monitor, keyboard and mouse on each system. So I would like to install a relaible KVM switch. The criteria is as follows. The switch must...

1) Support 32 and 64 bit Linux.
2) Handle no more than 2 or 3 systems. I don;t need a fancy KVM switch that handles a rackfull of equipment or a massive datacentre.
3) Be reasonably priced (cheap) yet reliable.
4) Offers easy and fast switching between 2 - 3 systems/
5) easy/simple installation, setup, and dependable operation/

Any recommendations for a KVM switch that combines all these 3 properties into 1 package ?

KC2UGV
11-08-2013, 01:56 PM
KVM switches handle any OS. And, assuming you're need a USB KVM: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-4-Port-Cable-Switch-GCS24U/dp/B001S2PJO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1383936985&sr=8-1&keywords=3+port+usb+kvm

n2ize
11-08-2013, 03:11 PM
Thanks.that will do fine. Yes, it will handle my USB mouse, keyboard, and my monitor. By the way I am testing out the new machine under Fedora 19 Live. So far it recognizes and configures all my hardware right out of the box, including sound card and built in WiFi. Now I just have to do some partitioning, the full installation, tweak the configs. and copy some of my stuff from the old system onto the new one. Everything works great. Now I can shut it down with peace of mind thaty there shouldn't be any issues or headachesgetting things to work the way I want them to.

n2ize
11-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Update. I got the KVM switch and it works great. Now all I need do is to put Fedora on the new system, do the configurations, and gradually migrate most of my apps and multimedia ops to the new system. I am going to keep the old machine up as well, mainly for doing some number crunching and a few other tasks that don;t require regular attention or day to day interaction. In any event I am loving the KVM switch, I should have bought one years ago. Makes it easier when someone brings me a system to troubleshoot. No more need to swap cables back and forth. Just plug the machine requiring servicing into a free KVM port and its good to go.