PDA

View Full Version : NO!! WAY !! IN!! HELL !!

n2ize
11-07-2013, 07:52 PM
I refuse to sign up for "Linkdin.com"... I know a few past collegues who are on there so I figured why not, it couldn't hurt to post my professional profile there. So I start signing up for the account. Usual shit, name, address "choose a password" ,etc. So I do all that crap. Next it asks me for an email address and password so I give it an email address and the password I had just chosen for Linkdin. I click send and it spits back an error saying that it not only wants my email address but the password to my email account. Huh ???????? Screw that shit. I might as well give them the keys to my house, the passwords for my entire home/business network and trhe name oif the first girl I ever kissed. Let Linkdin dry up and rot. I refuse to compromise my security for them.

NQ6U
11-07-2013, 09:07 PM
You can sign up for LinkdIn without giving them your email password. What they want to do is search your address book for other LinkdIn members, then let you know what's going on with them. Like you, there's no way I'd ever do that but a surprising number of people there do. My hot Asian optometrist, for one; I get LinkdIn updates from her all the time and I don't mind a bit, especially when they include photos.

KG4NEL
11-07-2013, 09:21 PM
I refuse to sign up for "Linkdin.com"... I know a few past collegues who are on there so I figured why not, it couldn't hurt to post my professional profile there. So I start signing up for the account. Usual shit, name, address "choose a password" ,etc. So I do all that crap. Next it asks me for an email address and password so I give it an email address and the password I had just chosen for Linkdin. I click send and it spits back an error saying that it not only wants my email address but the password to my email account. Huh ???????? Screw that shit. I might as well give them the keys to my house, the passwords for my entire home/business network and trhe name oif the first girl I ever kissed. Let Linkdin dry up and rot. I refuse to compromise my security for them.

Um, mine isn't set up that way.

Like anything, it's only as intrusive as you want it to be.

KG4CGC
11-07-2013, 09:23 PM
You know the old saying.
"If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to worry about."
Until it involves YOU and YOUR passwords, that is.

kb2crk
11-07-2013, 09:55 PM
I have an account with them and will not share my email password. takes a little longer to find people you know but once you start it gets easier.

K7SGJ
11-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Personally, I have no use for any of the social networks. I don't have to worry about locating any of my friends, I don't have any.

W3WN
11-07-2013, 10:24 PM
I refuse to sign up for "Linkdin.com"...
< snip >
Let Linkdin dry up and rot. I refuse to compromise my security for them.Good for you.

What I find really annoying is when someone who has my email in their address book joins Linkdin... and (deliberately or inadvertently) uploads their address book. Not only do I start getting spammed about joining, I have to jump through hoops on THEIR site to get my email off the list... until the next time.

If it was a one-time thing, I could tolerate it, annoying as it is. But when it's every few days? Fuggedaboudit.

n6hcm
11-08-2013, 03:11 AM
as others have said you don't have to do the email thing--it's a way they give you to find your friends (and pester those who haven't signed up). i haven't done that and it works well for me. i have > 500 contacts there, most of which are people i've worked with over the years. social media requires a certain amount of savvy and a certain amount of interest--folks who don't have one or the other should probably avoid social media.

KC2UGV
11-08-2013, 07:49 AM
When I signed up on LinkedIn, they didn't ask for it. But, when they did, I clicked "No."

So, yes, I suppose if someone doesn't have enough of a clue to click,"No" when asked for their email addy and password, then they should not be using social media. Or, the internet. Or, even a computer for that matter.

KJ3N
11-08-2013, 10:00 AM
Just another IZE overreaction. :roll:

Nothing to see here, move along...

ETA: Invest in a glass navel, John. You're going to need it at the rate you're going. :roll:

n2ize
11-08-2013, 01:13 PM
When I signed up on LinkedIn, they didn't ask for it. But, when they did, I clicked "No."

So, yes, I suppose if someone doesn't have enough of a clue to click,"No" when asked for their email addy and password, then they should not be using social media. Or, the internet. Or, even a computer for that matter.

At the time I didn't see a "No" option so it appeared mandatory. Actually it is a "skip" option so I did eventually sign up without having to breach my security. So all is well now. Initially however it appeared that they were requiring an email account password. I mainly signed up to use it as a preliminary informational tool and not so much to provide information about myself other than a few basic and well known facts.

n2ize
11-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Just another IZE overreaction. :roll:

Nothing to see here, move along...

ETA: Invest in a glass navel, John. You're going to need it at the rate you're going. :roll:

No, its not an overreaction, its a legitimate statement regarding something that wasn't initially obvious to me. At first it appeared to me than an email password was mandatory for registration so I legitimately remarked about it being a serious security breach in my opinion. Upon later inspection I came to the realization that it wasn't mandated. So it basically turned into a non-issue. I do find it sad that some people on this site seem to like to go to great lengths to put people down that they dislike no matter how minor the issue and no matter how much it is not their concern.

KG4NEL
11-10-2013, 06:36 PM
I mainly signed up to use it as a preliminary informational tool and not so much to provide information about myself other than a few basic and well known facts.

If you want to spy on people, I think you need to sign up for a paid account. Free accounts are limited to people in your circles or friends-of-friends.

n2ize
11-11-2013, 03:38 PM
If you want to spy on people, I think you need to sign up for a paid account. Free accounts are limited to people in your circles or friends-of-friends.

With a free account you can get basic info on people. For example if you look up a past co-worker or an unknown you'll get certain info. i.e. Name, location, what schools the person attended, recent names of companies they have worked for, present work location, etc. If you want more detail you have to pay for a premium account.