PDA

View Full Version : Melvin and Skip Most Excellent Trip; Part Deux

koØm
11-01-2013, 11:54 PM
Part Deux

It was a sunny Sunday afternoon and, the return trip from Montgomery, Alabama was so-far, uneventful. My family and I were returning from our daughter’s graduation ceremonies at Alabama State University where she earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemistry. There were four car loads of us, the boys were with me.

As we crossed from Tennessee into Kentucky, the computerized road signs warned of a road closure and a 20 mile backup of traffic on Interstate 65 North; there was a multiple truck-car accident with fatalities. I traveled north until I was about 30 miles from the accident and I saw a huge splash of brake lights in the distance as I topped a hill. It was time to detour so; I took the Blue Grass Parkway 25 miles east into Glasgow, Ky. I was as lost as hell; MapQuest was not programmed for this, by now the cars had separated, it was every man for himself.

Let me digress, do you remember the days when, you kept a set of Rand-McNally Road Atlas in your glove box and when road maps were sold at gas stations? Do you have paper maps in your car now? How about a CB radio, it could have helped. Two-meter hand held would have been useless in those hills.

Looks like I have a problem ‘eh? No problem, I have a “Smart Phone” with Google Earth Maps Navigation, I can just punch it up and chart a way out of here. Wait, wait, wait what do you mean, “Searching for signal”? I was so far back the hills in Kentucky, that there was no Cell phone service or GPS signals received by my phone. All I know from the Boy Scouts is that if I want to go north, I have to keep the Sun on the driver’s side of my car as I drove the unfamiliar state route highways.

I eventually come to an interchange and I recognize US Highway 31, I remember as a child riding the Greyhound Bus south from Ohio to visit my grand-parents in theArkansas, the bus traveled through Louisville, Ky. so, I knew that if I stayed on that highway, eventually I would find civilization. As I traveled over hills and through dales, I saw a sign that said, “Birthplace of Abraham Lincoln” with an arrow pointing in the direction that I was going.

We were all taught the stories of the founding fathers and the great Presidents, especially Abe Lincoln, how he studied by candle light in a backwoods cabin in the hills of Kentucky, he authored the Emancipation Proclamation that freed the slaves; he preserved the union of the United States.

I drove for another hour seeing more signs. An act of fate had rerouted me to the highway that lead to the birthplace of Abraham Lincoln, and, yes he was from the hills. The rural highway expanded into four lanes as I neared the site of his birth. I pulled in but, it was late Sunday; dusk was falling and the area was closed but, to wander into this historical place that I probably would never have seen but for the situation, it made me think.

A short distance later, I was at the interchange of US 31 and I-65 North in Elizabethtown, Kentucky. I had managed to bypass the accident by some 50 miles by traveling the back roads; for what I lost in time, I gained in experience and knowledge. I plan a day trip to Lincoln’s Birthplace in Hodgenville, Kentucky next spring with Skip my son, Ray and Eric, his nephews.

All in all, it was a “Very Excellent Trip” for Melvin and his “Legacies”.

KK4AMI
11-03-2013, 07:22 AM
I have been lost in the no RF zones where my wife's smart phone can't save us. Without a road atlas, I end up relying on my good ol' compass. If I know I am south of where I want to be, then I just drive North until I hit something I recognize.

koØm
11-03-2013, 06:42 PM
I have been lost in the no RF zones where my wife's smart phone can't save us. Without a road atlas, I end up relying on my good ol' compass. If I know I am south of where I want to be, then I just drive North until I hit something I recognize.

That's what I'm talking about, navigating by the seat of your pants. The last time that I can remember using a paper road map was back in 2001; it came in handy when it came to state routes and county roads when servicing Lottery equipment placed in convenience stores and gas stations in the back woods.

I underestimated the possible need for road maps, I threw all of the ones that I had in the trash. I did a search and Road Atlas maps are still being printed and updated every year, for less than 20 bucks they are cheaper than a GPS and, they are Solar Flare proof.

W3WN
11-03-2013, 07:08 PM
That's what I'm talking about, navigating by the seat of your pants. The last time that I can remember using a paper road map was back in 2001; it came in handy when it came to state routes and county roads when servicing Lottery equipment placed in convenience stores and gas stations in the back woods.

I underestimated the possible need for road maps, I threw all of the ones that I had in the trash. I did a search and Road Atlas maps are still being printed and updated every year, for less than 20 bucks they are cheaper than a GPS and, they are Solar Flare proof.

.You can still get them from AAA for free, on request. (Well, if you're a AAA member, that is)

K7SGJ
11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I always carry my AZ topo map book that has all the major roadways on it, but more importantly, it has the small stuff down to fire roads and goat trails. A must for me as I like to 4 wheel in places a road atlas type map would be useless. I also use my old GPS in case I need to follow a track back for some reason. Plus I always carry my Army issue Cammenga compass in the event things get real serious.