PDA

View Full Version : New Fiddlin Video

n2ize
10-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Here is a very recent video of my orchestra playing some real old time country hillbilly fiddlin music. Here we are seen playing a piece by the granddaddy of country fiddle music Ludwig Van Beethoven. This was our rendition of "Beethoven's 5th Symphony Mvt. 1" played at our recent Oct 20th Fall Concert. . How much more country fiddlin can you get ?

BTW if you are looking for me I am towards the far left hand side of the stage near the back and to the left hand side of the clarinet player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8Vxrny7vU#t=104

suddenseer
10-27-2013, 02:00 PM
You mean last chair in the 2nd fiddle section? JK, nice group. You folks have that chemistry that many collections of musicians do not have. I think you found a nice home. Good job. :agree:

W5BRM
10-27-2013, 02:15 PM
Very Nice. Dont take this the wrong way but assuming the camera switching was performed live, was the camera op on speed or someting? avg is about 2.5 seconds per shot. Had fun trying to stop the vid long enough to find you...lol. Very good performance enjoyed it thoroughly. :clap: :clap: :clap:

K7SGJ
10-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I'm impressed with the group. Well done.

It's Leopold It's Leopold

n2ize
10-28-2013, 04:48 AM
Very Nice. Dont take this the wrong way but assuming the camera switching was performed live, was the camera op on speed or someting? avg is about 2.5 seconds per shot. Had fun trying to stop the vid long enough to find you...lol. Very good performance enjoyed it thoroughly. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Yeah, several people have complained about that. I might bring it up as a suggestion for future videos, namely to dwell longer and not switch scenes so fast. In any event thanks for the complements.

n2ize
10-28-2013, 04:54 AM
You mean last chair in the 2nd fiddle section? JK, nice group. You folks have that chemistry that many collections of musicians do not have. I think you found a nice home. Good job. :agree:

Yes. I usually don't know where I am going to end up positioned. Due to tight space on stage the first violins were down in front of the stage and the 2nd's sort of got squished into single file on stage.. We are generally not assigned seats/ During the dress rehearsal a few days before I ended up all the way in front but in the concert I ended up in the back next to my friend who is on clarinet. Thanks for the complements on the performance. We eventually plan to play the entire symphony.

NA4BH
10-28-2013, 06:23 PM

I LOLed.

Very nice performance John.

Jeff K1NSS
10-29-2013, 05:14 AM
Nice indeed. Bravo!

n2ize
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
I LOLed.

Very nice performance John.

Thank you...

n2ize
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Nice indeed. Bravo!

Thank you :).

HUGH
10-30-2013, 02:56 PM
I always enjoy your posts, most satisfying. Last week we were in Prague and managed to attend an evening concert of Beethoven's 7th & 8th symphonies.

Yes, the cut-cut-cut every 2 0r 3 seconds was rather irritating but I closed my eyes.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 09:03 PM
Shifting gears here, John I have been wanting to buy an electric violin for the grandkids to play around with, I know it's probably frowned upon in the "real community" of musicians, but would you think it's ok to do this to get a 5 year old interested a real instrument? SERIOUS QUESTION...........

WX7P
10-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Shifting gears here, John I have been wanting to buy an electric violin for the grandkids to play around with, I know it's probably frowned upon in the "real community" of musicians, but would you think it's ok to do this to get a 5 year old interested a real instrument? SERIOUS QUESTION...........

Just get a real violin, for little kids, a 1/2 size. The "electric" violin is just a regular violin with a pickup on it connected to an amp.

My first violin was a 1/2 size when I was 7 years old.

You might consider the Suzuki method. I did the traditional and I got good enough for the legendary Fremont Philharmonic when I was 14. <g>.

I did a lot of musical theater through high school and college and actually, the violin led me to brass (Tuba and trombone) because the school orchestra was so terrible.

It was a lot of fun. My first musical was playing second violin in a community production of "King and I' when I was 11. We did "Sound of Music" the next year and I learned to hate that musical because I played it later in life on the trombone. Back to the violin, I did local symphony stuff and the UC symphony, which was near professional quality.

My favorite musicals were "Music Man" (played that twice in high school and at the SRT theater later on violin and "Will Rogers Follies" which is a really fun show on trombone.

I kinda stink on trombone (my lovely daughter tells me that) but it's still fun. I'm looking for a community group to play musicals on violin. Even after all this time, I'm good enough to handle a strong second violin part.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 09:50 PM
That's the type of feedback that's helpful. I was thinking of the indestructible nature of an electric (resin) violin. We're talking 5 year old (and his younger brother).

WX7P
10-30-2013, 10:12 PM
That's the type of feedback that's helpful. I was thinking of the indestructible nature of an electric (resin) violin. We're talking 5 year old (and his younger brother).

I get that.

If you have something fragile, it teaches them to respect the instrument. It's not like a lunchbox they can throw into the air (Like I did with my Hector Heathcoat lunchbox in 1965, shattering the glass thermos). Kids get that.

Other kids "get" that playing an instrument is something special. No one will hassle your grandkids for being "different" because they play violin. Even the bullies respect that these days.

It's also good for the kids self esteem. They can do something that Biff on the football team can't do. One of my cohorts in band in high school was a jock stud in multiple sports, but I was a better tuba player than he was and he respected me for it. I thought being a band "goon" and especially playing the violin in school musicals would be a minus, but it wasn't at all. Music was really fun and a great social outlet for me.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I agree. Both my kids were in the band, one trombone, the other French horn. Both enjoyed it, but never really went the full Monty. They learned discipline and respect and made a LOT of great friends (most of them we consider our kids too). I want to make available to my grandkids things other than the crap that is on TV and the radio. My dad would listen to different types of music, and I would ask him why, he would respond "Each type of music has it's different sounds, you ( I ) need to listen for it. So after hearing a song a couple of times, I start listening to what's being played in the background. Most times what you don't hear is what actually makes the song great.

WX7P
10-30-2013, 11:00 PM
I agree. Both my kids were in the band, one trombone, the other French horn. Both enjoyed it, but never really went the full Monty. They learned discipline and respect and made a LOT of great friends (most of them we consider our kids too). I want to make available to my grandkids things other than the crap that is on TV and the radio. My dad would listen to different types of music, and I would ask him why, he would respond "Each type of music has it's different sounds, you ( I ) need to listen for it. So after hearing a song a couple of times, I start listening to what's being played in the background. Most times what you don't hear is what actually makes the song great.

OMG.

That's so right on.

My friend N6LDP in Fremont, CA lived down the street from me in high school.

He used to play with his equalizer and try to isolate separate tracks. My favorite was when Larry slimmed down "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel and you could her the random baritone sax underneath the vocals.

Larry is a freak. He's my best friend in the world. I know more about ham radio, but he smokes me on audio stuff. I talk to him almost every day even though I haven't seen him in person in years. Thanks, cheap cell service!

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 11:10 PM
We should start a club. The best music is the stuff that you don't hear while listening to the song during standard operating procedures. One example, "The Last Resort" by the Eagles, when I listen to that I listen for the pedal (sp) steel and the piano. That's what makes the song.

ETA: When I listen to a song multiple times, I try to pull out different instruments and just listen to them.

K7SGJ
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM
OMG.

That's so right on.

My friend N6LDP in Fremont, CA lived down the street from me in high school.

He used to play with his equalizer and try to isolate separate tracks. My favorite was when Larry slimmed down "The Boxer" by Simon and Garfunkel and you could her the random baritone sax underneath the vocals.

Larry is a freak. He's my best friend in the world. I know more about ham radio, but he smokes me on audio stuff. I talk to him almost every day even though I haven't seen him in person in years. Thanks, cheap cell service!

Cell? Fuckig Cell? and you're both hams? OH, the humanity.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 11:51 PM
Janet meant to say 20 meters. Yeah, that's it.

WX7P
10-31-2013, 12:40 AM
Cell? Fuckig Cell? and you're both hams? OH, the humanity.

Larry lives in CCR land now. When he goes camping, which is often, I work him then.

K7SGJ
10-31-2013, 10:38 AM
Larry lives in CCR land now. When he goes camping, which is often, I work him then.

All is forgiven. As you were. Carry on.

n2ize
11-03-2013, 01:18 PM

I agree with Janet. For a young child I would just get a 1/2 - 3/4 size acoustic violin. It need not be expensive. If h/she seems to take a liking to it you can always go for a finer quality (and more expensive) one (either acoustic or electric) later on.

P.S. Just one word of warning. There are some very inexpensive violins out there that are hardly worthy of being called a "violin". In fact many musicians refer to them as VSO's (Violin Shaped Objects). Some of them are poorly constructed, made with inferior materials such as fake ebony or fake rosewood, laminate or composite construction, etc. Some don't have the string grooves cut properly or at the right height, or are not evenly spaced or in the right places, improperly fitted bridges and improperly fitted sound posts are also common on the VSO's.. A decent acoustic violin should have a spruce top and maple back and ebony (or rosewood) fittings. Many of these ultra cheapo violins sound terrible and cannot be made to sound good even with extensive work. They will often serve only to discourage a young player. generally a decent student violin starts at between $300.00 - $600.00 and up. However, some decent beginner violins had be had for less than $200. With a decent quality set of strings, perhaps a little adjustment of the bridge they can be made to sound and respond reasonably well to give a beginner a chance to get acquainted with playing the instrument and enjoying a degree of quality sound and response. Also, some of the electrics can be relatively inexpensive and of reasonable quality for a beginner. Check out the Cecilio line of violins. They make some relatively inexpensive violins, between $100-$200 which seem to get favorable reports with a decent set of strings installed. They also have a line of electrics that are within the same price range and reasonably good for a beginner who may or may not decide to go further. Another brand that I like are the violins made by Eastman Strings. However, they are a bit more pricey. Their least expensive student violin starts at around $350 and prices go up from there depending on the model. They also make some very expensive violins. I am not sure if they make electrics. The average pricing for acoustics goes like this...

Under $100... I'd be very wary of buying. It is probably just a VSO.

$100-$200 for a very bottom of line student/beginner violin that is not a VSO. it will generally require the installation of better quality strings and perhaps some adjustment of the bridge and sound post but they can produce decent sound and at least get a beginner introduced to playing and get the learning process started and make it enjoyable.

$350 - $1000 for a decent quality student violin.

$1500 - $6000 for an intermediate performance quality violin. Many of these will appreciate in value over time.

$10,000 - priceless for a professional performance violin. bear in mind that when you get into this category of very fine professional violins there is also the issue of collectors value. Most of these instruments appreciate considerably in value over time.

There are some good used violins and old violins that can vary tremendously in price from inexpensive but of decent quality to priceless, if its an authentic Stradivarius or Guarnieri or other rare gem. However most of the latter are accounted for and are very hard to come by. Some inexpensive used or old violins can be quite good or excellent but you have to know what to look for.e. warping, cracks, etc. There are a few online shops I can recommend which offer some relatively inexpensive new violins that have gotten some good reviews. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

n2ize
11-03-2013, 01:32 PM
I get that.

If you have something fragile, it teaches them to respect the instrument. It's not like a lunchbox they can throw into the air (Like I did with my Hector Heathcoat lunchbox in 1965, shattering the glass thermos). Kids get that.

Other kids "get" that playing an instrument is something special. No one will hassle your grandkids for being "different" because they play violin. Even the bullies respect that these days.

I agree. When I first started learning the violin as a child I would sometimes get rousted by a few of my male peers for taking up what they perceived as a "girls musical instrument". Often they would ask, "why didn't you take up something cool, like the drums, or guitar". The only thing that would have gotten me more condescension from other kids would be if I had taken up the flute which was then regarded as "for girls only". But I stuck with the violin because I wanted to learn it since I was like 3 years old and my grandmother gave me an old violin that was laying round the house. It had no strings, no bridge and I was always fascinated with "how do you make it work ?".

These days kids, seem to have more respect towards kids who take up the conventional classical instruments. Kids today are not as condescending regarding what musical instrument another kid plays (or listens to) as they were when I was young. I know a youngster who has taken up the flute and none of his peers tease or criticize him over it. In fact they think it's cool that he can play it.

BTW I wouldn't mind learning to play the drums also. My eldest niece took up the drums when she was in elementary school and she still plays. In fact most people feel she is a very good drummer. She has also learned some guitar and is self teaching herself piano.

koØm
11-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Here is a very recent video of my orchestra playing some real old time country hillbilly fiddlin music. Here we are seen playing a piece by the granddaddy of country fiddle music Ludwig Van Beethoven. This was our rendition of "Beethoven's 5th Symphony Mvt. 1" played at our recent Oct 20th Fall Concert. . How much more country fiddlin can you get ?

BTW if you are looking for me I am towards the far left hand side of the stage near the back and to the left hand side of the clarinet player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox8Vxrny7vU#t=104

Thank you, in the past, I've paid good money to experience performances like this.

n2ize
11-03-2013, 06:25 PM
Thank you, in the past, I've paid good money to experience performances like this.

You are welcome. Glad you enjoyed it.

kb2vxa
11-03-2013, 08:08 PM
I enjoyed it too and it made me curious... I FOUND IZE'S VIOLIN! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnepPZChA5U

n2ize
11-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I enjoyed it too and it made me curious... I FOUND IZE'S VIOLIN! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnepPZChA5U

And I didn't even have to wait for the devil to come to New York to get the golen fiddle. Great video BTW. Although I am not much into country I like Charlie Daniels. He is multi-talented and a great fiddler. Like most country fiddlers he has a different bow grip than most of us classical music players use. He holds the bow well above the frog. I have even seen some country fiddlers who choke way up on the bow. All have their own special technique. Looks like he was using a carbon fiber bow in the video. I often use a carbon fibre bow as well. I like them because they are strong yet nice and light. You can really get some nice action out of them and they are not always that expensive. Some of the high end carbon fiber bows rival some of the finer quality pernambuco bows.

n2ize
11-05-2013, 11:49 AM
One last comment about selecting a violin for a child who may or may not end up becoming interested in continuing is to consider rentals.Many shops will rent violins. This is particularly useful for young children as you can begin be renting a 1/2 size violin. When the child outgrows it (assuming he/she sticks with it) to turn in the half size for a 3/4 size violin and, when he/she finally outgrows that you return it and rent a full size violin. If the child is so inclined to continue learning then at that point you can buy a full size violin, Some music rental shops even give the option to rent and eventually buy the instrument. Just thought I would toss this idea along. Goint the rental and buy later route works out well for many.