PDA

View Full Version : Prepare for the WEEPING, WAILING and GNASHING of TEETH !

KB3LIX
10-23-2013, 06:51 PM
CQ WW Phone contest is this weekend.

Starts at 0000 Saturday and runs for 48 hours until Sunday 2359.

Purcahse your aspirin early.
It will be INTENSE !

The whiners ALWAYS come out of the woodwork
for PHONE CONTESTS.

Remember, there will not be a single slice of bandwidth
on available 10-15-20-40-80 or 160 meters.
And, someone will claim they heard contesters on 12-17-30 & 60m.

WX7P
10-23-2013, 07:17 PM
And, someone will claim they heard contesters on 12-17-30 & 60m.

Of course they will. They also hear the monsters from under their beds calling CQ contest.

KJ3N
10-23-2013, 07:23 PM
If the flux holds through the weekend, 10m will be a madhouse. :agree:

K7SGJ
10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Holy shit. Here we go again. One contest ends, and another starts right up. Everyone will be on MY frequency, and I won't be able to use it if I want to. Just because I haven't used it in 15 years makes no difference, IT IS MY FREQUENCY. All of the ops will be way over legal limit, and out of band. Anything for a 5 sec QSO. Ur 59 OM, for the fifth time, say again ur call, ur name, ur QTH, and my SIGS. These guys will even use the WARC bands and lie lie lie on the log. It's a conspiracy I tell ya. Half of these people probably don't even have a ham license, or a drivers license for that matter; and they are probably all republicans to boot. And here I wanted to try out my new radio this weekend, and no one is going to want to talk to me because I'm not a contester.

Oh the humanity.

KG4CGC
10-23-2013, 08:57 PM
Oh the humanity.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/441f3cc6.jpg

KJ3N
10-23-2013, 09:09 PM
Oh the humanity.

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/2/1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

KC9SQR
10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
A contest??!?!?!?!? Oh shit, I don't know what I'm going to do...
Fuck sakes, I think this one may just very well cause the world to END!!
Oh the horror, people actually using the frequencies we're allocated to use, what are we going to do??

Oh yeah... I forgot I don't give a shit hahahaha
While I don't partake in contests, I don't have anything against them..

I'm kind of glad that contests generate as much ham activity as they do, it keeps our ham bands safe...
If we don't use the bands, we're always at risk of losing them, so really overall I'm cool with contesting..
It's just another of many aspects or things to do in our great hobby.

There is one aspect of contests that I do enjoy, and that's reading about all the butthurt from hams going on their own one man crusade on the internet to tell the world about how they were wronged because some contesters wouldn't get off of "their" frequency, or didn't adhere to a bandplan, or whatever.. THAT part is rather funny at times to see people whine about such trivial stuff. Honestly we have a LOT of frequency space we have privileges on, there's plenty of room to move over, or QSY to a whole different band or even mode.. And there is always the option of turning the radio off and finding something else to do, but that's just too easy of a solution lol...

KC2UGV
10-23-2013, 09:16 PM
Well, at least the contest will ionize the atmo so the bands will magically open on the weekends.

KJ3N
10-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Well, at least the contest will ionize the atmo so the bands will magically open on the weekends.

Even though those same bands are open every weekend.... and week day. ;)

W7XF
10-24-2013, 01:30 AM
A contest? That's an excuse to go riding! (but i wonder which contest junkies are going to take over 14.300+/- 5kHz and 14.313)

N8YX
10-24-2013, 05:47 AM
A contest? That's an excuse to go riding! (but i wonder which contest junkies are going to take over 14.300+/- 5kHz and 14.313)

That'll get someone taken to the system.

KJ3N
10-24-2013, 06:28 AM
That'll get someone taken to the system.

They don't care.

W3WN
10-24-2013, 08:44 AM
A contest? That's an excuse to go riding! (but I wonder which contest junkies are going to take over 14.300+/- 5kHz and 14.313)

The last few SSB DX contests, the CQ CONTEST machines on or adjacent to those two magic frequencies tended to be calls assigned to EU stations, primarily Eastern EU. They tended to ignore the "get off my lawn frequency!" complaints. And in all fairness, they were there first, those days.

PA5COR
10-24-2013, 08:59 AM
No problem daytime 160 will still be good for our local nets (100 miles) and then there are the WARC bands...
Not going to dig up my key nor trying to improve CW from rusted 2 WpM back to scratch ;)

KJ3N
10-25-2013, 09:49 AM
This bodes well for the contest, if these numbers hold: SSN:148 SFI:161 A:3 K:0

Unfortunately for me, I have a job scheduled for tomorrow for 11 AM. Between my usual Friday night TV habits and tomorrow's job, looks like I won't be getting into the contest until 18:00z, at the earliest.

N8YX
10-25-2013, 10:50 AM
I may play a bit. 'DSG has to work late, and other than washing her motorcycle in preparation for winterization I've got nothing pressing.

KG4NEL
10-25-2013, 12:32 PM
I'm just cleaning up around here, should get into it for a few hours anyway.

KB3LIX
10-25-2013, 06:36 PM
Less than 30 minutes until the EXCREMENT hits the IMPELLER !!!!
Prepare for the STORM !

W5BRM
10-25-2013, 06:41 PM
Wish i had a radio woith me. Wonder if my 2m ht will get me some points if i can get the ducky out the window here in Mass...lol

n2ize
11-05-2013, 04:07 PM
A contest??!?!?!?!? Oh shit, I don't know what I'm going to do...
Fuck sakes, I think this one may just very well cause the world to END!!
Oh the horror, people actually using the frequencies we're allocated to use, what are we going to do??

Oh yeah... I forgot I don't give a shit hahahaha
While I don't partake in contests, I don't have anything against them..

I'm kind of glad that contests generate as much ham activity as they do, it keeps our ham bands safe...
If we don't use the bands, we're always at risk of losing them, so really overall I'm cool with contesting..
It's just another of many aspects or things to do in our great hobby.

There is one aspect of contests that I do enjoy, and that's reading about all the butthurt from hams going on their own one man crusade on the internet to tell the world about how they were wronged because some contesters wouldn't get off of "their" frequency, or didn't adhere to a bandplan, or whatever.. THAT part is rather funny at times to see people whine about such trivial stuff. Honestly we have a LOT of frequency space we have privileges on, there's plenty of room to move over, or QSY to a whole different band or even mode.. And there is always the option of turning the radio off and finding something else to do, but that's just too easy of a solution lol...

I never understood what the issue is anyway. In the old days I always used to have QSO's and ragchews on AM during contests. Even on field day. Never got any complaints or had any hassles. I did try phone contesting once and found it kind of boring. I sat there for about a half hour making brief contacts and racking up numbers and then got tired of it and shut down and decided to do something more interesting. Contesting just never grabbed me. But some people enjoy it and if that is what they like then I am fine with that. It's not like people are contesting 24/7/365/

KC9SQR
11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I never understood what the issue is anyway. In the old days I always used to have QSO's and ragchews on AM during contests. Even on field day. Never got any complaints or had any hassles. I did try phone contesting once and found it kind of boring. I sat there for about a half hour making brief contacts and racking up numbers and then got tired of it and shut down and decided to do something more interesting. Contesting just never grabbed me. But some people enjoy it and if that is what they like then I am fine with that. It's not like people are contesting 24/7/365/

I couldn't agree with you more :)

N7YA
11-05-2013, 06:57 PM
I do contests so i can dot around the edges and pick up new countries. I have no rig so im hurting in my heart right now reading all these posts about 10m blazing open, but i am patient. My wife tells me i should hold out, gather more money together and get the rig i REALLY want instead of a POS to hold me over. Love that lady! :agree:

Contests are great! SO much DX to go around, and since its not the only game in town, the pileups are about 100x shorter than usual. Some countries only activate once a year for contest. I like looking waaaay up in the band for the forgotten DX lurking there as well. I never chase points or enter contests, but im happy to provide points to those who will give me a qso. I learn all exchanges for the different contests and follow the rules closely. I always observe protocol and good operating practice and overall consideration and good manners...and oddly enough, i never have any problems. I fly under everyones radar because i dont have a need to belch my angry opinions (thats what the internet is for) or stand out beyond those few seconds when calling the DX. Everyone else can be as chaotic and aggressive as they want, i can always find what im hunting through the noise. Staying calm can net you the station and a few extra years of living....whichever is more important at the moment. ;) These are really easy practices if these geezers would simply relax their sphincters a bit.

Its all about how you look at things that enter your life. Someone can look at every little thing as intrusions that need to be fought, then waste all their energy flailing about over things that wont have an affect at all to the big picture. And others look at things as either challenges or opportunity, make the best of them and see what can be gained from it. If changes happened that you dont like, and those changes are basically out of your control, then either quit altogether or roll with it. I love playing radio, i've noticed certain changes too, but after taking my time and gathering info and observing, i realized that i can still work with whats left. I find a way to make it work for me, adjust my parameters and carry on happily. Also, it helps to know that these lids and those who gripe about them have been in the hobby since day one, lamenting how the hobby is changing and its "just not the same", the good old days are gone, noobs are ruining everything, etc, etc...with that in mind, its not a new problem to be addressed, its simply two modes of thought, everything is a problem or everything has a potential solution, you just decide which line you want to follow. I choose the line of "whatever, lets make it work!". :yes:

I will have a rig by next year, and i will be back on the air for the next contest season. I will also hit 300 DX entities with 100w or less total!! See you then. :)

K7SGJ
11-05-2013, 07:05 PM
I do contests so i can dot around the edges and pick up new countries. I have no rig so im hurting in my heart right now reading all these posts about 10m blazing open, but i am patient. My wife tells me i should hold out, gather more money together and get the rig i REALLY want instead of a POS to hold me over. Love that lady! :agree:

Contests are great! SO much DX to go around, and since its not the only game in town, the pileups are about 100x shorter than usual. Some countries only activate once a year for contest. I like looking waaaay up in the band for the forgotten DX lurking there as well. I never chase points or enter contests, but im happy to provide points to those who will give me a qso. I learn all exchanges for the different contests and follow the rules closely. I always observe protocol and good operating practice and overall consideration and good manners...and oddly enough, i never have any problems. I fly under everyones radar because i dont have a need to belch my angry opinions (thats what the internet is for) or stand out beyond those few seconds when calling the DX. Everyone else can be as chaotic and aggressive as they want, i can always find what im hunting through the noise. Staying calm can net you the station and a few extra years of living....whichever is more important at the moment. ;) These are really easy practices if these geezers would simply relax their sphincters a bit.

Its all about how you look at things that enter your life. Someone can look at every little thing as intrusions that need to be fought, then waste all their energy flailing about over things that wont have an affect at all to the big picture. And others look at things as either challenges or opportunity, make the best of them and see what can be gained from it. If changes happened that you dont like, and those changes are basically out of your control, then either quit altogether or roll with it. I love playing radio, i've noticed certain changes too, but after taking my time and gathering info and observing, i realized that i can still work with whats left. I find a way to make it work for me, adjust my parameters and carry on happily. Also, it helps to know that these lids and those who gripe about them have been in the hobby since day one, lamenting how the hobby is changing and its "just not the same", the good old days are gone, noobs are ruining everything, etc, etc...with that in mind, its not a new problem to be addressed, its simply two modes of thought, everything is a problem or everything has a potential solution, you just decide which line you want to follow. I choose the line of "whatever, lets make it work!". :yes:

I will have a rig by next year, and i will be back on the air for the next contest season. I will also hit 300 DX entities with 100w or less total!! See you then. :)

Just out of curiosity, what would your ideal rig be, or at least the one you want? (No not Eleanor rig be)

N7YA
11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
Well...since you removed my obvious Beatles pun, i have to give a real answer.

I would like a K3 with all the filters.

But some of the new TenTec stuff is really interesting to me. And, of course, i always love me some Yaesu gear. It all comes down to how much money i can spare, which is true for most material things these days.

n2ize
11-08-2013, 01:40 PM
I couldn't agree with you more :)

The only incident I once has was from a contester who was trying to be helpful. I think he was a pretty new ham. I was having a conversation on AM on 75 meters and at one point some contester broke in on sideband and suggested I check my radio out because it seemed to be putting out a carrier. I think he was a bit surprised whan I told him that I am glad to hear it is putting out a carrier as that is exactly what it is supposed to do when working correctly. Then I told him what A3E type emissions were.

N7YA
11-08-2013, 05:35 PM
The only incident I once has was from a contester who was trying to be helpful. I think he was a pretty new ham. I was having a conversation on AM on 75 meters and at one point some contester broke in on sideband and suggested I check my radio out because it seemed to be putting out a carrier. I think he was a bit surprised whan I told him that I am glad to hear it is putting out a carrier as that is exactly what it is supposed to do when working correctly. Then I told him what A3E type emissions were.

:doh:

KG4NEL
11-14-2013, 09:07 PM
Well...since you removed my obvious Beatles pun, i have to give a real answer.

I would like a K3 with all the filters.

But some of the new TenTec stuff is really interesting to me. And, of course, i always love me some Yaesu gear. It all comes down to how much money i can spare, which is true for most material things these days.

When I visit some family for Thanksgiving, I'm planning on making a stop at the VA HRO - want to test-drive a TS-590S. That seems like everything I'd like out of a rig...the K3 is interesting, and I've loved it during the contests I've used it in, but at double the price I have to ask myself if I really need a full second receiver, or that kind of rig control...probably not.

Kind of thinking of going all-Kenwood for the next shack, actually. I love the aesthetics of the TM-D710, although what I'll use an APRS/packet rig for I have absolutely no clue...

K7SGJ
11-14-2013, 10:12 PM
When I visit some family for Thanksgiving, I'm planning on making a stop at the VA HRO - want to test-drive a TS-590S. That seems like everything I'd like out of a rig...the K3 is interesting, and I've loved it during the contests I've used it in, but at double the price I have to ask myself if I really need a full second receiver, or that kind of rig control...probably not.

Kind of thinking of going all-Kenwood for the next shack, actually. I love the aesthetics of the TM-D710, although what I'll use an APRS/packet rig for I have absolutely no clue...

You can always use the D710 to link to the 590s for remote ops.

Actually, I have been looking at the 590s for about a year trying to justify it. I've tried the one at HRO locally many times, and it is a sweet rig. Like you, it has everything I could ever want. Let me know how you like it. I'm thinking about culling the herd here, and just keeping the stuff I plan on using. Maybe when you're ready we can see if someone will cut a deal on two of them, eh?