PDA

View Full Version : Any Cubic fans near Lake City, FL?

N8YX
10-19-2013, 08:23 AM
You might want to check this out:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1090793

One of 20 made. This setup is in its original rack.

Too bad he won't ship, or I would be on the phone yesterday...

KG4CGC
10-19-2013, 12:32 PM
That just gave me a Boehner.

NQ6U
10-19-2013, 01:04 PM
That just gave me a Boehner.

Are you in the John?

K7SGJ
10-19-2013, 06:36 PM
Perhaps the speaker of the OUTHOUSE?

WX7P
10-19-2013, 07:23 PM
You might want to check this out:

http://swap.qth.com/view_ad.php?counter=1090793

One of 20 made. This setup is in its original rack.

Too bad he won't ship, or I would be on the phone yesterday...

John: What's that worth in your esteemed opinion?

N8YX
10-20-2013, 06:55 AM
John: What's that worth in your esteemed opinion?

Jan...let's take a look at what a mint set of those things is currently fetching then go from there. I know of where such a collection (rig, PSU, amp, tuner) is...and if they're still available I was quoted $1700 for the ensemble; this without the OEM rack and cover assembly. They're one-owner units and still have the inspection tags attached; all documentation including service manuals come with the equipment.

(FWIW, the Cubic Kilowatt supposedly went for $8300 when it was offered new by N&G Distributing in Miami, but I've not been able to verify the price.)

Moving on to the setup in my basement along with prices paid for each, I have an Astro 150R and PSU-7R ($300), ST-2R ($227 plus shipping), 1500ZR ($300 plus shipping) and a very rare Astro DR ($500 and shipping...ouch). The condition of each ranges from mint to very good condition - anything that's 30 years old is bound to pick up a few scratches along the way. Minor repair was required to the rigs and amp, all of it now operates per spec - this is the key point...

Looking at the FL unit, the only two fully operational units are the power supply and tuner. Examine the Astro 150R: It's set to the 40M position (5910.0-8310.0 MHz) but the display is showing "708.4". You're either dealing with a faulty readout/LED driver IC (repairable) or a bad CPU board (possibly repairable, unless the 8048 itself is bad. Unobtanium. I have two complete CPU boards, though.)

On to the amplifier: "It hums". All of my 1500Zs do to some degree but if it's a loud hum, a possible cause is that the transformer core has become corroded in the FL air and has partially de-laminated itself. Meaning...all of the Es and Is will have to be removed, cleaned and re-lacquered prior to reinsertion in the windings.

Neither repair task is going to be something for the casual tinkerer, and the rig and amp may very well be a parts-only proposition at this point. I have no doubt I could repair both, but I also have supplies on hand that the average ham doesn't.

So...I would offer no more than $700-800 and explain exactly why.

W3WN
10-22-2013, 07:56 AM
Why not make him an offer, then either go get it, or arrange for someone to get it for you?

What's the worst that can happen? He'll say no?

N8YX
10-22-2013, 06:01 PM
Why not make him an offer, then either go get it, or arrange for someone to get it for you?

What's the worst that can happen? He'll say no?
I probably ought to, but I just spent some coin on other needed (read: discontinued) equipment. I know of no one who could transport the setup for me and I can't take the time off to go get it. :-|

suddenseer
10-25-2013, 03:29 PM
I have only had one amplifier with that tube. I think it was old military surplus, because is it FSCM NSM numbers on the back plate. The transformer I recognized had a GE Hypersil core. That sucker must have weighed at least 50 pounds. It never made a humming noise that I could detect. The Power, and RF section where in separate racks. Yes, it ran on 220V. After spending many valuable drinking hours to get it working, I hardly used the damn thing. I traded it for a car for my daughter when she turned 16.