PDA

View Full Version : Best SWR/Watt meter for around US$100

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 09:54 AM
need recommendation for a good HF swr/watt meter for around $100. Been lookin on EHAM but the ones in that price range are all low review scores. ANyone know of a good one for that price range?

NQ6U
10-16-2013, 09:58 AM
You get your best swar meter right here (http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=101), Good Buddy.

http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/Images/pm1000.JPG

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 10:01 AM
You get your best swar meter right here (http://www.gijoesradioelectronics.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=101), Good Buddy.

ummm no!... :lol:

Thanks for playing! :P

Next?

K7SGJ
10-16-2013, 10:17 AM
Yeah, but....but....but.. it will measure your swang, too.

ETA: HF or VHF/UHF, and what power range does it need to be?

KJ3N
10-16-2013, 10:19 AM
http://hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-003409

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 10:19 AM
My 706 aint got no "swang"

I, on the other hand, have lots of "Hang 'n' Swang"

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 10:22 AM

I have been looking at that one. Only has one rating on eham but i know i cant always go with that. Has what i need though. Will consider it. Thanks

KC2UGV
10-16-2013, 10:33 AM
I have been looking at that one. Only has one rating on eham but i know i cant always go with that. Has what i need though. Will consider it. Thanks

Do you already have a manual tuner? If so, it will tell you the SWR.

K7SGJ
10-16-2013, 10:39 AM

I have one of the CN-801HPs that I leave in line all the time, and I like it. Seems like Daiwa makes a decent meter. I also have one of the Diamond SX-20 series for quick tests and portability. It does okay, as well, and is a few bucks less, but no PEP, but a much smaller footprint. Although more expensive, I have a couple of Bird watt meters, but only use them or the service monitors for service and certification. When the Diamond or Daiwa are compared to the Bird, they are surprisingly accurate. Certainly good enough for daily use for station monitoring and antenna work.

The only issue I have had with either is the lamp in the Daiwa burned out, and I replaced it with bright blue LED which looks much nicer and will probably last longer than I will.

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 10:42 AM
Do you already have a manual tuner? If so, it will tell you the SWR.

No. I have rebuilt my High Sierra motorized antenna and will be using that as my primary until I get time/motivation to put up better more semi-permanent install. These type antenna dont need tuners. Not looking for permanent at this time because we may be moving in the the not too far future.

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 10:48 AM
ETA: HF or VHF/UHF, and what power range does it need to be?

HF QRP/100w or thereabouts. something like 3/30/300

KC2UGV
10-16-2013, 11:03 AM
No. I have rebuilt my High Sierra motorized antenna and will be using that as my primary until I get time/motivation to put up better more semi-permanent install. These type antenna dont need tuners. Not looking for permanent at this time because we may be moving in the the not too far future.

So, you don't already own a tuner then?

W3WN
10-16-2013, 11:11 AM
I have several of the Daiwa dual meter HF bridges... an older CN620B & CN520, and a newer CN-101, amongst others.

I think very highly of them. They're reasonably accurate, and outside of setting the power range, hands-free.

I've seen them at hamfests (used) starting at $40/50 and up. New 101's can be found at dealers starting at about $90 and up.

K7SGJ
10-16-2013, 11:12 AM
HF QRP/100w or thereabouts. something like 3/30/300

Go back to my previous post #9, I hope that will help some.

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 11:14 AM
So, you don't already own a tuner then?

NO. Basically im on a fresh start. Been out of the hobby for 6-8 years. I do have my 706mkiig which I am not sure works. I have my HS1800DX which sat in the garage for 10 years. Just finished refurbishing it last night. New motor, weather shield. Polished the brass up etc. I need to get 50ft of R/B zipcord to finish wiring the antenna control box. Bought 50ft rg213 foam insulated coax. Soldered the pl259's up last night as well. Tripod for the antenna to set up on the lawn came in today. I need to get some wire for the ground radial system. I dont have any other equipment. Was sick and out of work for 3 months last year and had to dump a lot to pay the bills. Thats pretty much all I have at the moment. Dont even have a junk parts box...

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 11:31 AM
Go back to my previous post #9, I hope that will help some.

Yes I have been looking hard at the Daiwa's. The Diamonds I'm not so sure about. I like a cross needle meters better than the single needle that you always have to switch between swr/W. I had been looking hard at the SX200 and that has some moderate reviews on eham. Found that for $89 which is a good price. The CN101 I'm also looking at is available and looks nicer but has far fewer reviews on it. The CN101L has crappy reviews. Im not sure what the difference is between them though.

Also looking at Ameritron meters. A bit more pricey. I see Ameritron is owned by MFJ... Are the any good or are the junk like a lot of MFJ products?

KC2UGV
10-16-2013, 11:44 AM
NO. Basically im on a fresh start. Been out of the hobby for 6-8 years. I do have my 706mkiig which I am not sure works. I have my HS1800DX which sat in the garage for 10 years. Just finished refurbishing it last night. New motor, weather shield. Polished the brass up etc. I need to get 50ft of R/B zipcord to finish wiring the antenna control box. Bought 50ft rg213 foam insulated coax. Soldered the pl259's up last night as well. Tripod for the antenna to set up on the lawn came in today. I need to get some wire for the ground radial system. I dont have any other equipment. Was sick and out of work for 3 months last year and had to dump a lot to pay the bills. Thats pretty much all I have at the moment. Dont even have a junk parts box...

Ah, ok. Makes sense then.

To tide yourself over, you can get a SWR meter from radioshack, make your adjustments at low power, and then once it's set, bring power up, slowly, taking the meter out of the loop when you're ready to transmit. They're about $30 last I checked.

KJ3N
10-16-2013, 11:59 AM
To tide yourself over, you can get a SWR meter from radioshack, make your adjustments at low power, and then once it's set, bring power up, slowly, taking the meter out of the loop when you're ready to transmit. They're about $30 last I checked.

No need to take it out of line. Their current offering handles up to 2KW.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036239

KG4NEL
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
I've played around with the Daiwas and Diamonds at Field Day, I prefer the Daiwas.

KC2UGV
10-16-2013, 12:35 PM
No need to take it out of line. Their current offering handles up to 2KW.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036239

Nice! Last I saw those, they were limited to 12W :)

KG4CGC
10-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Just get an MFJ. No, seriously. Their meters and tuners are good. MFJ-948 antenna tuner SWR meter.
Cross needle style, works great from 160 to 10. Just make sure you use a heavy duty 80 or full size 160 ant if you plan on getting on 160. $142, one box, two functions.

W5BRM
10-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Just get an MFJ. No, seriously. Their meters and tuners are good. MFJ-948 antenna tuner SWR meter.
Cross needle style, works great from 160 to 10. Just make sure you use a heavy duty 80 or full size 160 ant if you plan on getting on 160. $142, one box, two functions.

I'll look into them. I've just never been into MFJ. About the only GOOD thing i know they make is the 259/269 analyzers. Suppose the price is right though for what it is...

KJ3N
10-16-2013, 08:25 PM
I'll look into them. I've just never been into MFJ. About the only GOOD thing i know they make is the 259/269 analyzers. Suppose the price is right though for what it is...

Generally speaking, MFJ products are solid engineering. Where they fail is in final assembly and quality control.

Whenever anyone buys an MFJ tuner, it's always a good idea to open it up and inspect every single solder connection, and make sure every screw is tight. Assuming it passes that test, you'll likely never have a problem with their tuners unless you try something stupid with them.

Unfortunately, today's inexperienced and uneducated hams tend to do stupid things with MFJ products.

KG4CGC
10-16-2013, 08:57 PM
Do not buy directly from MFJ. Buy from a distributor for a better price. Their catalog is good bathroom reading material but the distributors usually sell for 15% under catalog price.

WX7P
10-16-2013, 10:16 PM
I have several of the Daiwa dual meter HF bridges... an older CN620B & CN520, and a newer CN-101, amongst others.

I think very highly of them. They're reasonably accurate, and outside of setting the power range, hands-free.

I've seen them at hamfests (used) starting at $40/50 and up. New 101's can be found at dealers starting at about $90 and up.

Yes, Ron's right.

I have two Daiwas and they are good meters, especially for the price.

PA5COR
10-17-2013, 02:43 AM
I'm using a Daiwa Cn 801 HP with active PEP measurement, working fine, big meter and quite accurate and good realistic PEP measurement.
1.8 - 150 MHz.
For 2/70 and above the Diamond SX 200 SX400 meters for 2/70.

NY4Q
10-17-2013, 05:36 AM
need recommendation for a good HF swr/watt meter for around $100. Been lookin on EHAM but the ones in that price range are all low review scores. ANyone know of a good one for that price range?

I've had one of these for going on +10 years.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/413

W5BRM
10-17-2013, 06:00 PM
SWR meter gonna have to wait a few weeks. Had the $$$ but then RL happened... stoopid car borked...lol But I DID get the antenna up.

HS1800DX motorized antenna with 8 10ft radials to start. Hooked the 706 up and it received fine for several minutes then both rcvr and xmit went dead. Not sure what the issue is. Radio has power so it isnt totally dead. Broke out the IC-720a which has no transmit on it but a great rcvr. Listened to K7NSW special events station. Ran the antenna motor through all the bands. All seems to be working except for the 706. Kinda bummed about that.

Gonna have to wait til tax time to see if it can be fixed. I figure if it will cost more then $300 to fix then I might sell it for parts and get a newer radio.

Was thinking about a KX3 rig to run data. I can take it with me in the truck too. Company said no to the 706 and most other 100w radios but a qrp rig they said OK if it doesnt run more power then a stock CB.

One thing I'm VERY happy about is the power company must have come through in the last 7 years or so and fixed the power lines. Used to have s9 on most of the HF bands. I put the receiver up today and not a whisper of QRM. no powerline, no household garbage, nothing. I live on a town street and have neighbors all over and I got NO noise! Plenty of US and a few DX stations roaring in on 17m.

And in other news! FCC has processed my upgrade. FCC page shows me as Amateur Extra! YAY!

NA4BH
10-17-2013, 10:33 PM
I'm using a Daiwa Cn 801 HP with active PEP measurement, working fine, big meter and quite accurate and good realistic PEP measurement.
1.8 - 150 MHz.
For 2/70 and above the Diamond SX 200 SX400 meters for 2/70.

I have the Daiwa CN 801 Hp also, very pleased. The back light crapped out, but what the hey.

PA5COR
10-18-2013, 02:35 PM
Back light on the HP 801 HP is a 2 led pcb, i found the light a bit high and since you can switch it on/off on the back i used the off setting to lower the light intensity with an adequate resistor halving the led lighting which it is mostly set on.
Replace the broken leds with new white ones and lower milliamps through them.
Mine is on 18 hours a day 7 days a week, for the last 4 years now.
I have a spare HP 801 HP that fried it's leds as well, relplaced them as well after sanding the lenses to make the light flow better.

WØTKX
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
I remember using a neon bulb to ground to indicate a match. Dimmit, dammit. :whistle:

n2ize
10-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Nope !! Doesn't go up to enough Jigawatts for me.

n2ize
10-18-2013, 10:14 PM

Just use your plate current meter.

N8YX
10-19-2013, 08:38 AM
Would have to agree with the Daiwas, and will throw in two more "used" choices: The Kenwood SW-200/2000 series and the Drake WH-7.

Judicious shopping will net you a unit which is in very good shape. The Kenwood setup has the advantage of using sampling heads - a maximum of three per unit. Thus, you can look at HF, VHF and UHF power sources at will by merely rotating the meter's input selector switch.

kb2vxa
10-20-2013, 01:58 PM
There goes IZE thinking small again. Tune for maximum smoke and minimum street lighting, when Niagara Falls runs backward you hit the sweet spot. Now that takes care of the exciter, you have the final properly tuned when the SUN dims.

n2ize
10-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Ah, ok. Makes sense then.

You can easily build your own swr brige as well. I once needed a swr bridge quick and I picked up the one from RS. It worked quite well and supposedly handles power levels up to at least 1Kw. I just keep it inline between my transmitter and the Dow Key.

n2ize
10-25-2013, 02:19 PM
There goes IZE thinking small again. Tune for maximum smoke and minimum street lighting, when Niagara Falls runs backward you hit the sweet spot. Now that takes care of the exciter, you have the final properly tuned when the SUN dims.

Also make sure your signal is punching holes in the ionosphere. :)

kb2vxa
10-26-2013, 09:55 PM
Mmmm, just look up as the space critters look down and wonder WTF?

K0RGR
10-28-2013, 07:42 PM
I really like the crossed needle meters, but I've had poor luck with Daiwas. I had a VHF/UHF one that I used for years, but it didn't survive a crosstown move. I bought a general purpose one in the Twin Cities and left it in the back of the car for a few days before I tried to use it - one of the needles was kaput. The warranty says it's not valid outside of Japan! I put these items in the category of 'jewelry' and regard them as very fragile. On the other hand, I've had several MFJ units and none of them has failed. I bet Daiwa makes the meter movements for both of them, though.

For cheap, the Vanco SWR-1 is good for HF and 2 meters, and can be had very inexpensively. You might have to look for one of these - it seems that the big dealers have stopped carrying them. Too cheap, I guess. They are nearly indestructible and I have one I bought at a flea market for a couple bucks that's probably 40 years old, and works great. They used to give these away when you bought a new rig.

n2ize
10-29-2013, 10:29 AM
You can probably check around ebay and find a Bird wattmeter for somewhere betweem $100-$200.

K7SGJ
10-29-2013, 11:20 AM
You can probably check around ebay and find a Bird wattmeter for somewhere betweem $100-$200.

And the slugs for HF (H series) are about the same, if not higher than the meter itself. UHF and VHF are much more reasonable.

W5BRM
10-29-2013, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. Havent bought anything yet. Been real busy at work and no time to research any of the newer suggestions.

w8nsi
11-03-2013, 06:23 PM
need recommendation for a good HF swr/watt meter for around $100. Been lookin on EHAM but the ones in that price range are all low review scores. Anyone know of a good one for that price range?

Well, the last watt meters I bought were the Drake HF and VHF watt meters about 35 years ago. I still have both and use them.

kb2vxa
11-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Gotta love that cartoon, Republican all the way. (;->) That having been said just one thing about those Bird meters. They are highly accurate lab grade instruments but there is a down side, you have to refer to the chart to convert forward to reflected power to SWR. That brings to mind a certain FCC Field Engineer (I use the word engineer lightly) who tried to screw an F connector into an SO-239 and was frustrated until I handed him the proper jumper cable. Then he tried to read the output of a CB set with a 100W 450MHz slug until I handed him the proper one... but I digress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KZMg-fvn-s

KI6LWI
11-11-2013, 04:44 AM
I use a Motorola-branded Bird 43, I think I paid about $130 for it. Elements can add up though. I'm not on HF except for 10M, but have elements in range A (25-60), C (100-250), and E (400-1000), which cover every amateur band between HF and 1GHz. Can't beat it for rock-solid reliability though; at my old shop we had one that was made in 1956, still in service.