PDA

View Full Version : Would You Pay $29.50 for This?

KG4CGC
10-07-2013, 11:08 PM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

While you're at it, get the software and cable for another $8.

I'm not even a 2m guy but I said WTH. Be a nice thing to carry around. Listen to FMBCB while 2 wheel mobile.

K7SGJ
10-08-2013, 12:11 AM
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007H4VT7A/ref=pe_385040_30332200_pe_309540_26725410_item

I'm not even a 2m guy but I said WTH. Be a nice thing to carry around. Listen to FMBCB while 2 wheel mobile.

If i was in need or want of one, hell yes. The price is right, it's an okay radio, Prime ships free, and if there are any fus, or you don't like it, send it back for a refund. I can't see how you could go too wrong.

W3WN
10-08-2013, 07:18 AM
At that price, I may just pick one up to throw in my desk here at work!

W5BRM
10-08-2013, 07:34 AM
I bought the newer version of that. The uv-82. It should be at the house tomorrow. But i won't get home for another week or so to check it out. I paid a bit more for it. $49 plus $8 for mic and $8 for another rubber duck. Cant beat the price but also keep in mind u het what u paid for

KC2UGV
10-08-2013, 08:04 AM

Yes, and I did.

wa6mhz
10-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Rats!!! I paid $45 for the same one! but then, that was SHIPPED from China.

WX7P
10-08-2013, 09:27 AM
I have a yellow one just like that.

It's a good little radio. I carry it around with me all the time.

I think I paid $35 for mine. With the cable and using the CHIRP software, it's easy to program.

KG4CGC
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Of the members here that have one, what kind of battery life are you getting on a charge with the 1800 mah battery?

WX7P
10-08-2013, 06:08 PM
I've carrying mine around now for 3 weeks and it's still live.

Very little transmit time, but lots of listen mostly to the FM broadcast side.

KG4CGC
10-08-2013, 06:11 PM
That's good because this will be for 2 wheel mobile.

n6hcm
10-09-2013, 04:13 AM
i bought one for use at the office only to find that it's pretty deaf up there. far nw corner of the city--on a hill but on the wrong side of the hospital.

KC2UGV
10-09-2013, 06:17 AM
Of the members here that have one, what kind of battery life are you getting on a charge with the 1800 mah battery?

A couple of weeks with light usage. When I was doing some packet testing, I got about 3 days.

wa6mhz
10-09-2013, 09:21 AM
I charge mine about once a MONTH, if even that often. It DOES run down, after a months worth of use. OH, I have the extended 3600 mAH battery pack. Makes the HT taller, but twice as much battery capacity

KG4CGC
10-09-2013, 09:42 AM
I have considered the bigger battery. Does it hold up in rain?

K7SGJ
10-09-2013, 09:45 AM
I have considered the bigger battery. Does it hold up in rain?

An umbrella will work a little better.

W3WN
10-09-2013, 10:03 AM
i bought one for use at the office only to find that it's pretty deaf up there. far nw corner of the city--on a hill but on the wrong side of the hospital.That shouldn't be a problem here.

The office is literally line of sight with the local 147.09 MHz repeater, and RF line of sight with the club's 442.55 MHz repeater. Now, whether or not there's ever anyone to talk with...

W3WN
10-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Well, something's up.

I just went to order one... the price is now $36.55, with a note that
Item Under ReviewWhile this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)
We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible. Guess it was too good to be true, or to last.

On Edit: I can order the radio at that price, but it's no longer free shipping. I think I'm going to hold off.

KG4NEL
10-09-2013, 09:55 PM
Sounds like they got busted violating MAP.

Used to have that happen once every two weeks or so when I was juggling our Fulfillment by Amazon account.

KG4CGC
10-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Mine's supposed to be here Friday.
For the new price, you could get the + (plus) model for a dollar more.

Well?

KG4CGC
10-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Software and cable got here today.

W3WN
10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Mine's supposed to be here Friday.
For the new price, you could get the + (plus) model for a dollar more.

Well?Someone had the plus model at the club meeting tonight. Nice.

KC2UGV
10-11-2013, 07:37 AM
Software and cable got here today.

So, whatcha think about it so far?

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 10:21 AM
So, whatcha think about it so far?

The radio itself is supposed to actually get here today. So, as of this moment ...

K7SGJ
10-11-2013, 12:37 PM
The radio itself is supposed to actually get here today. So, as of this moment the postman is calling CQ on one of the police frequencies...

Fixed it for ya

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Well it got here at 5:30pm and after installing the software, I'm just too dum to figgur this out.
But hey, the radio works. Even has a little flashlight. But how do you switch it to FMBCB mode? THE CALL BUTTON, of course. Nothing in the instructions on that.

WX7P
10-11-2013, 07:02 PM
Well it got here at 5:30pm and after installing the software, I'm just too dum to figgur this out.
But hey, the radio works. Even has a little flashlight. But how do you switch it to FMBCB mode? THE CALL BUTTON, of course. Nothing in the instructions on that.

the supplied software is useless.

Get the CHIRP software from danplanet.com. You may have to change the com port to make it work, but once you do, it's easy.

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks. Just DL'd it. Let's see how it works now.

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 07:18 PM
OK. Yeah. I'm still a dumbass. How do I start using CHIRP?

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 08:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zULc-ACvJPc

When all else fails, use the hand crank.

KG4CGC
10-11-2013, 10:08 PM
So, after fiddle fadding for a while I figured it out. CHIRP and all.

KG4CGC
10-12-2013, 05:03 AM
Pretty hot receive on it for a tiny rubber duck antenna. Got into a couple of repeaters. Came with one of those single earbud/mics. Crappy audio through that thing. Very nice audio through the main speaker though. Simplex tests show VERY nice TX audio.
Very menu driven. No channel knob. I wouldn't try to play with anything while driving. Plan what frequencies you are going to use before rolling and maybe have the main group of freqs close together in a group. On the channelized side of the VFO you can scroll through the freqs or directly access a channel by inputting the channel number. Channel 25 is entered a 025. There is no 2m VFO and 70cm VFO so be sure to arrange your frequencies in a manner that you feel comfortable with like by town or band. It has 127 memories and if you want to monitor dual band, in the mem channels there is an A and B side. Both show on the display at the same time with your choice of channel number or frequency or alpha tag. Both A and B hold the same freqs in the same channel numbers but can be tuned independently. You can dual watch across the two bands. If you program in any other frequencies outside of the ham bands that you wish to monitor, I suggest locking out the transmit capability for such channels. It will transmit on any frequency it can receive within the ranges. Not a good feature in my opinion since we have had local idiots over the years mod dual band radios to get on police freqs and USE them. The guy was caught but you get the what I'm saying.
The frequency side of the VFO can be tuned the same way but without memory channels. Currently I have weather on the A side and 2m simplex calling freq on the B side. (top/bottom as seen on the display) Directly frequency entry or up/down arrow keys works fine, again, no knob or thumbwheel. Of note, the squelch is a menu item that you must decide on ahead of time.
I found the CHIRP software very useful and I tackled it without instruction. The best way to upload frequencies is to first download the factory presets off the radio. Figure out the com port, I switched up USB ports to do this. It told me where it was. After uploading, a little tab will have the radio name. Keep this but delete the frequencies and program your own or download a list from their providers online like RR (require password) Repeater Book which is open and one more which the name escapes me.
You will need to make sure to enter the channel position of the frequency if you want to keep everything in order. Just do this after you get the first set entered from Repeater Book. The offsets and +/- will be entered as well as the repeater call sign. You can change the callsign to some other alpha tag if you which. When you're done just upload to radio. Before all that, plug the unit in the off position into the usb first. Then turn it on. It will look like it's transmitting and rolling through different modes but it's not doing anything bad.
There are other settings you can change in software like transmit power. Be sure to look at everything.

While all this seems confusing, a little fiddle faddling and you'll have it figured out. BTW, you can also extend frequency receive range via software but I don't know how well it hears out of band range. I would need to test that one day with a proper antenna for said freq.

WX7P
10-12-2013, 10:21 AM
Pretty hot receive on it for a tiny rubber duck antenna. Got into a couple of repeaters. Came with one of those single earbud/mics. Crappy audio through that thing. Very nice audio through the main speaker though. Simplex tests show VERY nice TX audio.
Very menu driven. No channel knob. I wouldn't try to play with anything while driving. Plan what frequencies you are going to use before rolling and maybe have the main group of freqs close together in a group. On the channelized side of the VFO you can scroll through the freqs or directly access a channel by inputting the channel number. Channel 25 is entered a 025. There is no 2m VFO and 70cm VFO so be sure to arrange your frequencies in a manner that you feel comfortable with like by town or band. It has 127 memories and if you want to monitor dual band, in the mem channels there is an A and B side. Both show on the display at the same time with your choice of channel number or frequency or alpha tag. Both A and B hold the same freqs in the same channel numbers but can be tuned independently. You can dual watch across the two bands. If you program in any other frequencies outside of the ham bands that you wish to monitor, I suggest locking out the transmit capability for such channels. It will transmit on any frequency it can receive within the ranges. Not a good feature in my opinion since we have had local idiots over the years mod dual band radios to get on police freqs and USE them. The guy was caught but you get the what I'm saying.
The frequency side of the VFO can be tuned the same way but without memory channels. Currently I have weather on the A side and 2m simplex calling freq on the B side. (top/bottom as seen on the display) Directly frequency entry or up/down arrow keys works fine, again, no knob or thumbwheel. Of note, the squelch is a menu item that you must decide on ahead of time.
I found the CHIRP software very useful and I tackled it without instruction. The best way to upload frequencies is to first download the factory presets off the radio. Figure out the com port, I switched up USB ports to do this. It told me where it was. After uploading, a little tab will have the radio name. Keep this but delete the frequencies and program your own or download a list from their providers online like RR (require password) Repeater Book which is open and one more which the name escapes me.
You will need to make sure to enter the channel position of the frequency if you want to keep everything in order. Just do this after you get the first set entered from Repeater Book. The offsets and +/- will be entered as well as the repeater call sign. You can change the callsign to some other alpha tag if you which. When you're done just upload to radio. Before all that, plug the unit in the off position into the usb first. Then turn it on. It will look like it's transmitting and rolling through different modes but it's not doing anything bad.
There are other settings you can change in software like transmit power. Be sure to look at everything.

While all this seems confusing, a little fiddle faddling and you'll have it figured out. BTW, you can also extend frequency receive range via software but I don't know how well it hears out of band range. I would need to test that one day with a proper antenna for said freq.

Great! I'm glad you got it all figured out. Sorry I wasn't there last night to help.

The CHIRP program works for all the versions of the UV5 and UV3. I have mine programmed for all the FRS/GMRS and MURS frequencies as well as some local repeaters. I have the frequency display on one VFO and names/callsign (example" FRS#1, Green dot, K9ula repeater etc.) on the other VFO.

I kinda went nutz with these stupid things. I have 2 black, 1 blue and 1 yellow UV-5RE's, a black UV-5RA, a yellow UV-5R and a black UV-3R.

Why? Because.

We finally are in contract on that stupid white elephant house in Tulelake, so once that closes, I'm going to buy a red UV-5RE and send the two black ones to my brother so maybe he and his kid will get ham licenses.

This is all cheap entertainment. I think I have about $225 in all seven HT's and I have 2 speaker mics and the battery eliminator.

W5BRM
10-13-2013, 11:26 PM
Just got my UV-82 which is the new version of the UV-5 series. Pretty interesting radio. Not really intuitive to learn but that may just be me. I've never had a dual band HT before nor had one with so many menu options.

First thing I had to figure out was how to set the offset. Turns out that you cant just set the offset with one menu setting. it takes 2 different menu settings. First setting is the offset direction. Plus or Minus on one menu setting. THEN you get to set your 600khz offset on the next menu option in the list. Last HT I had had that all in one setting.

Next issue was figuring out the "Confirm" message... Once I made a change to a setting, I'd hit the menu button and the voice would come on and say "Confirm" I kept thinking it was asking me to confirm the setting... I couldnt figure out how to confirm anything. Turns out that it saying "Confirm" was the actual confirmation..lol It should say "Confirmed" but it doesnt.

Next issue I'm having im not sure how to fix. Bought an external mic for the radio. Can't figure out how to use it with the 2m frequencies. Everytime I key it, the 440 band transmits. Not sure if thats a bug or if I have to make another menu change somewhere. I can transmit 2m if I key the top key on the radio itself.

BTW this radio has 2 transmit buttons. One for each band. Unusual. Never have seen that before. Band A is 136-174mhz and band B is 400-520mhz. all pictures both on the box and images online show it reversed though. A is 400-520 and B is 136-174. Dont know if thats an issue or not. more to come later if I have confusing issues

KG4CGC
10-13-2013, 11:33 PM
You might find some useful information on this site.

http://www.miklor.com/UV82/UV82-CompareUV5R.php

If you want to make your life easier, get the programming cable and use CHIRP.

W5BRM
10-13-2013, 11:48 PM
You might find some useful information on this site.

http://www.miklor.com/UV82/UV82-CompareUV5R.php

If you want to make your life easier, get the programming cable and use CHIRP.

Thanks. That tells me the external mic only transmits B band. Found its easy to change the band frequencies just by changing the freqs. I had thought the bands were locked to their specific frequency range. Glad I can use the mic on 2m now...lol

I have the cable coming from Amazon. SHould be here thursday

KG4CGC
10-14-2013, 12:53 AM
On the UV-5R display, frequencies are displayed top and bottom. The little triangle beside the freq should be the one it TX on but on yours, the dual PTT is new to me. I guess that makes it easier instead of switching between freqs with the front panel. I suspect that with the external mike you would still have to switch between freqs via front panel.

I found that the manual that came with mine wasn't as helpful as the internet. Oh and Baofeng Janet too.

n6hcm
10-14-2013, 05:02 AM
definitely. the doc that came with the radio was pretty meh--intertubes provided a much better explanation of things.

KG4CGC
10-15-2013, 07:19 AM
http://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-NA-701-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XOSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1381839098&sr=1-1&keywords=MFJ+1717sf

I've settled on this aftermarket antenna based solely on reviews.

K0RGR
10-15-2013, 05:27 PM
I paid $38 for mine, so $30 is a bargain. I think it's a great little radio for the money. I like my Wouxuns better, but I find that when I need an HT, I often slip the UV5R in my pocket because it fits better. It's a pretty simple device. Someone posted the schematic for it a while back, and a little Googling revealed that the heart of the radio is a single chip FM transceiver that covers the entire frequency range of the rig. It is a software defined device, and is controlled by a second microprocessor. There are just external receive preamps and transmit amplifiers beyond that - it couldn't get much simpler, and gets my hopes up that we'll see more interesting SDR designs in nice cheap packages in the future.

WX7P
10-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Just got my UV-82 which is the new version of the UV-5 series. Pretty interesting radio. Not really intuitive to learn but that may just be me. I've never had a dual band HT before nor had one with so many menu options.

First thing I had to figure out was how to set the offset. Turns out that you cant just set the offset with one menu setting. it takes 2 different menu settings. First setting is the offset direction. Plus or Minus on one menu setting. THEN you get to set your 600khz offset on the next menu option in the list. Last HT I had had that all in one setting.

Next issue was figuring out the "Confirm" message... Once I made a change to a setting, I'd hit the menu button and the voice would come on and say "Confirm" I kept thinking it was asking me to confirm the setting... I couldnt figure out how to confirm anything. Turns out that it saying "Confirm" was the actual confirmation..lol It should say "Confirmed" but it doesnt.

Next issue I'm having im not sure how to fix. Bought an external mic for the radio. Can't figure out how to use it with the 2m frequencies. Everytime I key it, the 440 band transmits. Not sure if thats a bug or if I have to make another menu change somewhere. I can transmit 2m if I key the top key on the radio itself.

BTW this radio has 2 transmit buttons. One for each band. Unusual. Never have seen that before. Band A is 136-174mhz and band B is 400-520mhz. all pictures both on the box and images online show it reversed though. A is 400-520 and B is 136-174. Dont know if thats an issue or not. more to come later if I have confusing issues

Interesting.

Thanks, Brian. :-D

Now I'll have to spend another $50 on another HT. I note the UV-82L comes with a 3000ma battery versus the 1800ma battery for the uv-82.

Like the bartender said, if you get the programming cable and download CHIRP, it's really easy to program.

I *love* my other stupid Baofengs because I can't get over what they do for the price.

I'm eventually going to give away all but two of them to young hams around here who are interested in radio.

WX7P
10-15-2013, 06:05 PM
I paid $38 for mine, so $30 is a bargain. I think it's a great little radio for the money. I like my Wouxuns better, but I find that when I need an HT, I often slip the UV5R in my pocket because it fits better. It's a pretty simple device. Someone posted the schematic for it a while back, and a little Googling revealed that the heart of the radio is a single chip FM transceiver that covers the entire frequency range of the rig. It is a software defined device, and is controlled by a second microprocessor. There are just external receive preamps and transmit amplifiers beyond that - it couldn't get much simpler, and gets my hopes up that we'll see more interesting SDR designs in nice cheap packages in the future.

Yo, CA transplant!

Why do you like the Wouxons better? Do you find the receiver sensitivity better?

Inquiring minds want to know!

N2ADV
10-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Yo, CA transplant!

Why do you like the Wouxons better? Do you find the receiver sensitivity better?

Inquiring minds want to know!I am not a CA transplant but I find that my Wouxun KG-UV3D does much better with strong signals. I have yet to have it overload whereas the Bao Feng just basically shuts down.

WX7P
10-17-2013, 03:15 PM
I am not a CA transplant but I find that my Wouxun KG-UV3D does much better with strong signals. I have yet to have it overload whereas the Bao Feng just basically shuts down.

Thanks for the input. Here in my part of the corn desert there are NO strong signals!

KG4CGC
10-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Here's the set up for moped mobile.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/photobucket-61349-1382118766312_zps1df218b3.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/photobucket-1835-1382118710200_zps33427f71.jpg

I will give it a real world test this evening. The radio came with with and earbud/mic set up but I didn't like the sound from the earbud. I had a pair of Sony studio headphones that I put in the parts box long ago. I took one of the cans apart and found a flat little high impedance speaker. I left the frame face intact and it wedged perfectly into the ear cup of the helmet and sounds perfect on voice frequencies.

The mic has a PTT on it in the same body with the mic element. The radio does VOX and when I get a full face helmet (mine is open on the bottom front) it will work perfectly with wind protection from the full face part of the helmet. If I wanted to cut the wire up some more, I could make t so that I have PTT from the left handlebar but soldering 1/8th in male and female plugs on to the type wiring used today for these things was Great Feat and Show of Nerves of Steel enough for this project. I can clip the mic close enough to my neck and be able to hit it with my left index finger if I really need to talk to anyone. I may even be able to mount the mic deep enough to avoid the wind and use VOX but keep in mind, I would also need to plan ahead who I would talk to on what repeater etc. Like I mentioned earlier, you are not going to just flip through the freqs while using this rig mobile, especially on 2 wheels. I pull off the road to use the phone or text so I sure as heck am not going to try to work this radio while rolling beyond PTT and changing the volume on/off.

This also solves another issue I was dealing with while moped mobile and that was FMBCB. I was going to mount a vehicular stereo and speakers but that had its own particular set of issues to be dealt with. Waterproof speakers of a decent fidelity being one and mounting them in such a way that they would be impossible to remove. Waterproofing the stereo was another issue. I may still mount a mobile antenna in the back.

KG4CGC
10-25-2013, 07:34 AM
Real World Tasting.

I have had to find a pair of small 8 ohm speakers to mount instead of this poor idea I had of the 32 ohm headphone deal. The pair are both on the same side of the helmet since it is illegal to impede hearing traffic in both ears. I just couldn't get enough sound to overcome road, wind and engine noise. I compared the sound I was getting to the sound coming out of the stock speaker IN the radio and figured it must have been a 4 or 6 ohm unit. I don't know. I'm not opening it up to find out. It's not that important.
Just settle on a station, lock the keypad and you're good to go.

KG4CGC
10-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Oh oh!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Kids-on-2-Way-Radios-Interfere-With-Emergency-Calls-228090311.html

Children and radio does not mix.

WX7P
10-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Oh oh!

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Kids-on-2-Way-Radios-Interfere-With-Emergency-Calls-228090311.html

Children and radio does not mix.

I don't think I've ever seen a Baofeng marketed as a toy.

Interesting that a couple of kids with one-watt 440 radios can completely screw up the comm of an ambulance service using much higher power radios.

It's probably more, the babble from the kids is making the ambulance radios break squelch all the time.

It does need to stop, but the news campaign is more likely to spawn a spate of wannabes.

K7SGJ
10-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Huh, I wonder why they aren't using their cell phones. Seems like as soon as a kid learns to walk, their folks buy them one.

KG4CGC
10-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Huh, I wonder why they aren't using their cell phones. Seems like as soon as a kid learns to walk, their folks buy them one.

Yeah, mine did.

kb2vxa
10-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Baofeng may not be marketed as a toy but realistically it's a walkie talkie that can be used as a scanner. If there is a way to lock out transmit channels kids don't know it, for that matter neither do I. How they got their hands on them is a matter of speculation, as always a news article leaves many unanswered questions. This is particularly interesting because Lakewood and their Jewish Orthodox community is a stone's throw away and I monitor police, fire and EMS but not Hatzolah, the Orthodox EMS or the Civilian Safety Watch.

"It does need to stop, but the news campaign is more likely to spawn a spate of wannabes."

Likely, but not a wave of epic proportions. Not a whole lot more than channel 10 broadcasting it all over 3 states and their web page.

IMO the kids are very lucky they're dealing with Orthodox Jews. They're very old school and rather easy going preferring education to punishment so returning the radios to the parents and letting them deal with the kids is easily understandable. That's the way it was 50 years ago and should be today, but unfortunately it's all too often CALL THE COPS for the littlest things. What they did was more of an annoyance than anything else since the more powerful ambulance radios can easily step on them BUT like the man said it CAN be life threatening. For this reason alone Meir Lichtenstein did the right thing BUT next time (and there better not be a next time) I guarantee a different story.

KG4CGC
10-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Unlike just a few years ago, I find it amazing that anyone can get their hands on radios that can transmit on PS frequencies. However, these Bungfun units make for poor scanners are they scan slowly compared to what we're used to in a ''scanner.''
Our PS transmit on the same set of frequencies they have been using for years. Analog and unencrypted. There was a move to change over to a digital trunked system but the only digital comms are for special units that operate, in the shadows, so to speak. I suppose that the reason there is still so much open comms is because anything of a sensitive nature happens via cellphone and over the internet as many police now have a laptop in the front passenger seat.

W2NAP
10-26-2013, 10:12 PM
well just think of all the people that can buy these silly baofengs and whirligig ham and ps frequencies. oh the fun!

kb2vxa
10-27-2013, 06:22 PM
Pretty much my opinion of those "Bungfun" radios, another way to put it is a handheld scanner that transmits. Now the open capability to transmit on commercial and PS frequencies is becoming more well known, nothing amazing about it... now what?

Oh let's not confuse things here, while digital makes encryption possible without ancillary equipment (such as voice inversion) digital isn't necessarily encrypted. What the article doesn't say is while Lakewood PD is P25 digital with encryption capability, I have rarely heard it used and then only briefly. Assuming those Bungfun radios were primarily used as scanners and the kids decided to use them as a pair of walkies the PD would not be programmed because all they'd hear is a hiss resembling white noise without a codec module.

KC2UGV
10-27-2013, 07:46 PM
well just think of all the people that can buy these silly baofengs and whirligig ham and ps frequencies. oh the fun!

Anyone could buy a Kenwood or Yaesu radio before the Baofeng's release as well, and I do know for a fact my Yaesu FT-2500 is capable of transmitting outside of the ham bands.

W2NAP
10-28-2013, 12:46 AM
Anyone could buy a Kenwood or Yaesu radio before the Baofeng's release as well, and I do know for a fact my Yaesu FT-2500 is capable of transmitting outside of the ham bands.

yeah but kenwoods or icoms or yaesu dont have the silly noise toy whirligig in it

KC2UGV
10-28-2013, 06:16 AM
yeah but kenwoods or icoms or yaesu dont have the silly noise toy whirligig in it

Oh, you mean the Part 90 required alarm button? Of course the do, if they are part 90 certificated.

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 09:27 AM
The part I don't understand, is why the FCC never gave these things a second look. A radio that is that easy to program on the PS bands is just asking to be done so. The really sad part is that, in many cases, it is being done intentionally; just like the laser pointing at aircraft. And, as usual, the remedy for correcting these intentional acts of interference will be hardest on the responsible user.

Kind of reminds me of another controversial situation.

N8YX
10-28-2013, 09:45 AM
Kind of reminds me of another controversial situation.

Ten-four, and 2.182...

kb2vxa
10-28-2013, 09:47 AM
I don't know what you mean by "toy whirligig" but I do know about my Icom and Alinco radios and what happens if you press the PTT while listening outside a ham band. It beeps and stays in receive mode even if the button remains depressed. They'll transmit wherever they can receive with a modification, it's called "opening up" the PLL chip, BUT the Baofeng and maybe the other cheapo who's name escapes me is open from the factory, something I'm not too happy with and never was even before the Lakewood incident.

As an aside, some states like NY prohibit PS receivers in the mobile (that includes ham rigs with receive capability whether the driver is licensed or not), some have severe restrictions while some like NJ have statutes that mimic the federal prohibition of using them in the commission or facilitation of a crime. If a LEO comes across one with transmit capabilities the stuff really hits the fan, Lakewood is generally speaking easy going while others like New York will crucify you, so those kids just don't know how lucky they are, they have no IDEA.

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 09:49 AM
I don't know what you mean by "toy whirligig" but I do know about my Icom and Alinco radios and what happens if you press the PTT while listening outside a ham band. It beeps and stays in receive mode even if the button remains depressed. They'll transmit wherever they can receive with a modification, it's called "opening up" the PLL chip, BUT the Baofeng and maybe the other cheapo who's name escapes me is open from the factory, something I'm not too happy with and never was even before the Lakewood incident.

As an aside, some states like NY prohibit PS receivers in the mobile (that includes ham rigs with receive capability whether the driver is licensed or not), some have severe restrictions while some like NJ have statutes that mimic the federal prohibition of using them in the commission or facilitation of a crime. If a LEO comes across one with transmit capabilities the stuff really hits the fan, Lakewood is generally speaking easy going while others like New York will crucify you, so those kids just don't know how lucky they are, they have no IDEA.

No Ikea? What a pisser.

KG4CGC
10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
The part I don't understand, is why the FCC never gave these things a second look. A radio that is that easy to program on the PS bands is just asking to be done so. The really sad part is that, in many cases, it is being done intentionally; just like the laser pointing at aircraft. And, as usual, the remedy for correcting these intentional acts of interference will be hardest on the responsible user.

Kind of reminds me of another controversial situation. Exactly and that point seems to be getting lost in the smarm.

W2NAP
10-28-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh, you mean the Part 90 required alarm button? Of course the do, if they are part 90 certificated.

point to where an alarm button is required?

as for said button, its not an emergency alarm. its a cb noise toy. if it was for SERIOUS part 90 use it would not play a stupid siren sound when button was pushed. its whole design is to be nothing more then a pain in the ass. IMO the baofeng is just a china built rf terrorist device its creation was just to create qrm on the ham,ps,railroad,marine bands.

dont agree? put up a repeater and you will change your mind after about the 2nd time you hear the stupid siren blasting away

KC2UGV
10-28-2013, 01:30 PM
point to where an alarm button is required?

as for said button, its not an emergency alarm. its a cb noise toy. if it was for SERIOUS part 90 use it would not play a stupid siren sound when button was pushed. its whole design is to be nothing more then a pain in the ass. IMO the baofeng is just a china built rf terrorist device its creation was just to create qrm on the ham,ps,railroad,marine bands.

dont agree? put up a repeater and you will change your mind after about the 2nd time you hear the stupid siren blasting away

My apologies. It may not be required. However, the "Man down" alarm buttons are present on MANY Part 90 radios, made by Vertex, Moto, Icom, and a Maxxon. Here's an example of a Vertex Standard "CB Radio Noise Toy": http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/Portables/VX-450

That button can be configured for several modes: Alarm tone, ANI, DTMF, and CTCSS tones; or even just through the speaker and not over the air.

W3WN
10-29-2013, 07:29 AM
How did those kids get the radios in the first place?

Look, all the marketing changes in the world aren't going amount to a hill of beans -- if a few irresponsible adults either continue to sell them as "walkie talkies", and/or continue to buy them as "toy walkie talkies" /"scanners"and give them to their kids. And I don't care what manufacturer is involved.

"Oh, look Johnny! You can listen to police and fire calls with this!" not knowing and/or caring that the radio can also transmit on those frequencies.

Is it right that the radio(s) come out-of-the-box, from the manufacturer, capable of transmitting anywhere, especially when they're being marketing as ham rigs? No. But that doesn't absolve the SELLER of the radio(s) of moral (if not legal) responsibility for selling them to these kids parents / grandparents / relatives, nor does it absolve the USER (or user's parents in the case of minors) of moral (if not legal) responsibility for misusing the radio(s).

KC2UGV
10-29-2013, 09:04 AM
How did those kids get the radios in the first place?

They buy them on EBay/Amazon. Just like you can buy most any part 90 radio.

Look, all the marketing changes in the world aren't going amount to a hill of beans -- if a few irresponsible adults either continue to sell them as "walkie talkies", and/or continue to buy them as "toy walkie talkies" /"scanners"and give them to their kids. And I don't care what manufacturer is involved.

"Oh, look Johnny! You can listen to police and fire calls with this!" not knowing and/or caring that the radio can also transmit on those frequencies.

This here is the crux of the problem. No parental concern.

Is it right that the radio(s) come out-of-the-box, from the manufacturer, capable of transmitting anywhere, especially when they're being marketing as ham rigs? No. But that doesn't absolve the SELLER of the radio(s) of moral (if not legal) responsibility for selling them to these kids parents / grandparents / relatives, nor does it absolve the USER (or user's parents in the case of minors) of moral (if not legal) responsibility for misusing the radio(s).

But, they are not being marketed as ham radios, but rather Part 90 handhelds. Just like Vertex, Moto, Icom, and Maxxons.

WØTKX
10-29-2013, 09:38 AM
It's a continuation of the unregulated bubble-pack combo GMRS/FRS radios that have been sold for years.
FRS needing no license, and GMRS does, but they have been sold openly without any care.

But that's OK, the FCC is no longer an enforcement agency, unless it's for commercial interests.

KG4CGC
10-29-2013, 09:45 AM
But that's OK, the FCC is no longer an enforcement agency, unless it's for commercial interests. Not unless you happen to record Newt Gingrich on his phone and expose his ass for the lying piece of shift he truly is.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june97/cellular_01-14.html

W2NAP
10-30-2013, 12:49 PM
My apologies. It may not be required. However, the "Man down" alarm buttons are present on MANY Part 90 radios, made by Vertex, Moto, Icom, and a Maxxon. Here's an example of a Vertex Standard "CB Radio Noise Toy": http://www.vertexstandard.com/lmr/Portables/VX-450That button can be configured for several modes: Alarm tone, ANI, DTMF, and CTCSS tones; or even just through the speaker and not over the air.Alarm tone (like the baofeng uses) is absolutly worthless. all it does it play a siren sound via RF. it is no dif then a cb noise toy microphone. True PROFESSIONAL part 90 radios with the emergency button on it will send a data burst which will display on the dispatch screen to alert dispatch say officer in trouble.now you try to post a link to vertex about "vert's cb noise toy" well no that is not a cb noise toy.Built-in Selective Signaling ModesIncludes MDC-1200® encode/decode along with both 2-tone and 5-tone encode/decode providing selective radio calling and efficiency in supporting a variety of discreet communications needs.you press the button on any vertex,kenwood,motorola rig its not going to key up and blast a siren sound over and over and over like the china terrorist devices will.

KC2UGV
10-30-2013, 01:20 PM
Alarm tone (like the baofeng uses) is absolutly worthless. all it does it play a siren sound via RF. it is no dif then a cb noise toy microphone. True PROFESSIONAL part 90 radios with the emergency button on it will send a data burst which will display on the dispatch screen to alert dispatch say officer in trouble.now you try to post a link to vertex about "vert's cb noise toy" well no that is not a cb noise toy.Built-in Selective Signaling ModesIncludes MDC-1200® encode/decode along with both 2-tone and 5-tone encode/decode providing selective radio calling and efficiency in supporting a variety of discreet communications needs.you press the button on any vertex,kenwood,motorola rig its not going to key up and blast a siren sound over and over and over like the china terrorist devices will.

The Baofengs can be configured for Alarm tone, DTMF, and ANI as well. DTMF and ANI are useless for a 5 person crew all using handheld radios, with no central dispatch. The alarm tone works for small groups.

N8GAV
11-02-2013, 07:53 PM
Ordered one tonight,lets see how smart I am in programing it when it gets here. Got usb cord and speaker/ mic also, should have got a better antenna, may do so yet.

K9CCH
11-02-2013, 08:01 PM
If you can follow a flow chart, this is the easiest programming instructions I have found yet. After a few times of following this chart, I can program mine without even looking now.

http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/pdf/uv5r_ProgStd.pdf

kb2vxa
11-03-2013, 02:49 PM
That's like diagnosing an engine problem without a computer, use a VOM and follow the tree. I fixed a Fleetwood without a Mac once, took an hour to find the problem, 5 minutes to replace the air flow sensor, another hour to stop laughing at the stupid pun.

KG4CGC
11-04-2013, 05:45 PM
The Nagoya NA-701 antenna arrived today. MUCH improved receive and transmit qualities over the stock butt scratcher.

NQ6U
11-04-2013, 06:58 PM
The Nagoya NA-701 antenna arrived today. MUCH improved receive and transmit qualities over the stock butt scratcher.

How good is the new antenna at butt scratching? This is important info for those with gluteal eczema.

KG4CGC
11-04-2013, 07:18 PM
How good is the new antenna at butt scratching? This is important info for those with gluteal eczema.

Not good at all. The stocker is is stiff while the improved one is flexible.

NQ6U
11-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Not good at all. The stocker is is stiff while the improved one is flexible.

Okay, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when my radio gets here: Nagoya for radio, stock antenna for butt scratching.

KG4CGC
11-04-2013, 07:44 PM
Okay, thanks. I'll keep that in mind when my radio gets here: Nagoya for radio, stock antenna for butt scratching.

If you etch a few ribs on it ...

NQ6U
11-04-2013, 07:47 PM
If you etch a few ribs on it ...

Good for polyp removal?

KG4CGC
11-04-2013, 07:54 PM
Good for polyp removal?

Maybe ... if you leave omit the lube.

K7SGJ
11-04-2013, 09:07 PM
What a bunch of pussies. I scratch mine with a Super Station Master.

KG4CGC
11-04-2013, 09:41 PM
What a bunch of pussies. I scratch mine with a Super Station Master.

Talk to us when it's covered in poison ivy.

N8GAV
11-06-2013, 10:20 AM
Mine should be here today, looking out for the UPS truck. Lets see what this gizmo will do......................

N8GAV
11-07-2013, 06:22 PM
Well I'm doing something wrong, using "CHIRP" to program mine and can't get it to do anything. FM radio works great, can pick up National WX Service, in fact as far away as Akron- Canton area but won't save my 2 Meter of 440 setings????

KG4CGC
11-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Well I'm doing something wrong, using "CHIRP" to program mine and can't get it to do anything. FM radio works great, can pick up National WX Service, in fact as far away as Akron- Canton area but won't save my 2 Meter of 440 setings????

First, download from your radio then upload to the radio from the list you create from the download.

Then save.
Downloading from the radio first gives you a new tab in the program with the radio's name and ID on it.

N8GAV
11-07-2013, 06:53 PM
First, download from your radio then upload to the radio from the list you create from the download.

Then save.
Downloading from the radio first gives you a new tab in the program with the radio's name and ID on it.

I did that Charles twice infact wonder if my cable is bad?

KG4CGC
11-07-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't know. Make sure you're on the correct com port. Plug it in with the radio off, then turn on the radio.
Took me a little while to get the hang of it, about 45 minutes. That includes the two times I threw my hands up in the air and did a double face palm.

W5BRM
11-08-2013, 06:59 AM
Make sure, when you plug the usb cable into the computer, you use the SAME usb port. I found on mine, if I switched USB ports, I had to open a new COM port up as well. Got a bit confusing. If you use the same usb port all the time, you shouldn't have a problem getting chirp to see the radio. took me a day to figure that one out on my UV-82.

W3WN
11-08-2013, 09:56 AM
Well,

R & L is now selling the UV-5R for $39.95, with free shipping. I went ahead and ordered one, for use here at work. With the programming cable.

Not going to quibble about $10, especially since (if it ships today, as it should since I placed the order early enough) it ought to be here Monday.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=120&osCsid=2pc5jbtjpor8aahtt03l5m0qb6

KC2UGV
11-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Well,

R & L is now selling the UV-5R for $39.95, with free shipping. I went ahead and ordered one, for use here at work. With the programming cable.

Not going to quibble about $10, especially since (if it ships today, as it should since I placed the order early enough) it ought to be here Monday.

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/index.php?manufacturers_id=120&osCsid=2pc5jbtjpor8aahtt03l5m0qb6

That's actually a decent price, with the cable. Separately, they come up to about that much with shipping, if you have Amazon Prime.

W3WN
11-08-2013, 12:56 PM
Ah, to be clear, the programming cable was another $9.95, sorry if I accidentally implied otherwise.

Figured that, well, what's the worst that would happen? If the rig fails, or I'm not happy with it, I've dealt with R&L before, so I know who I'm dealing with. Nothing to worry about. Sure, maybe for $10 less I could have gotten a better deal... but from whom, some no-name fly-by-night outfit in Hong Kong? Nah.

KG4CGC
11-08-2013, 01:32 PM
Ah, to be clear, the programming cable was another $9.95, sorry if I accidentally implied otherwise.

Figured that, well, what's the worst that would happen? If the rig fails, or I'm not happy with it, I've dealt with R&L before, so I know who I'm dealing with. Nothing to worry about. Sure, maybe for $10 less I could have gotten a better deal... but from whom, some no-name fly-by-night outfit in Hong Kong? Nah.

In the case of Amazon, if the seller is being dishitka, Amazon will resolve it no questions ask. So, no issues with that.

W3WN
11-08-2013, 03:50 PM
OK.

Still, for me, R&L has done me a lot of good, and they've done good by my club as well (hamfest prizes, shipping the new antenna to NP2JF for the NP2SH/B beacon, etc.) Sometimes saving $10 isn't worth it, if it means a good local dealer is struggling.

KG4CGC
11-08-2013, 03:53 PM
OK, and I am not part of a place that has any dealer closer than Atlanta, GA.

N8GAV
11-08-2013, 06:34 PM
$29.00 is cheap fun for me...... And I'm having fun with this little thing, now that I got the hang of it and made sure the usb cord was tight INTO the raido. Funny how that makes it work as it should.

WX7P
11-08-2013, 07:13 PM
$29.00 is cheap fun for me...... And I'm having fun with this little thing, now that I got the hang of it and made sure the usb cord was tight INTO the raido. Funny how that makes it work as it should.

Just saw this. I responded to your PM just now.

WX7P
11-08-2013, 07:14 PM
OK.

Still, for me, R&L has done me a lot of good, and they've done good by my club as well (hamfest prizes, shipping the new antenna to NP2JF for the NP2SH/B beacon, etc.) Sometimes saving $10 isn't worth it, if it means a good local dealer is struggling.

What did you do with your new TV? I'm jealous.

K7SGJ
11-08-2013, 07:17 PM
What did you do with your new TV? I'm jealous.

Watching Oprah reruns, and it fills every bit of the 42 inch screen, and then some.

W3WN
11-08-2013, 11:18 PM
What did you do with your new TV? I'm jealous.It went into the master bedroom, replacing the old RCA CRT.

My daughter is enjoying it immensely.

N8GAV
11-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Couple of things I found out 1. Make sure your off the internet when you program it with usb cable, damn thing keeps looking for updates. 2. Front end is weak ,ANY RF around it, it will pick it up not a hand held I'd take Dayton or any big Hamfest. 3. You need a better antenna the rubber duck that comes with it sucks. Mine is putting out 4 watts on high about 1.5 watts on low so thats ok I guess. Anyone found anything I may have missed?

W3WN
11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
BTW, FWIW, R&L is giving away a UV-5R this week. No purchase necessary. Enter here: http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/radioweek.php

NQ6U
11-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Well, shit. The battery on my only 70cm HT died and it's cheaper to buy a UV-5R than to replace it. So, guess what I just did?

K7SGJ
11-11-2013, 02:27 PM
Wow, it looks like this has become the official "Island Radio", eh?

KC2UGV
11-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Wow, it looks like this has become the official "Island Radio", eh?

We're cheap bastids :)

K7SGJ
11-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Well, yeah. If you have money, you can't come ashore.

W3WN
11-11-2013, 03:46 PM
No wonder I fit in here, then. I have no money! (It all goes to my wife & daughter)

K7SGJ
11-11-2013, 03:57 PM
No wonder I fit in here, then. I have no money! (It all goes to my wife & daughter)

As it should be.

kb2vxa
11-11-2013, 04:48 PM
This is Radio Island, now we have an island radio.

"Well, yeah. If you have money, you can't come ashore."

When you arrive on Fellas Island, get in line and show them your Batfang, you don't want to be a WOR and get sent back. How can you have money when you spent your last Lira to get here? If you don't know what I'm talking about you're not a New Yorker or you slept in History class. (;->)

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 01:43 AM
This is Radio Island, now we have an island radio.

"Well, yeah. If you have money, you can't come ashore."

When you arrive on Fellas Island, get in line and show them your Batfang, you don't want to be a WOR and get sent back. How can you have money when you spent your last Lira to get here? If you don't know what I'm talking about you're not a New Yorker or you slept in History class. (;->)

Ellis Island nomenclature.

kb2vxa
11-12-2013, 11:48 AM
DING DING DING DING! Give that man a cigar. (New Yorkers get a Kewpie doll.)

W3WN
11-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Box from R&L was handed to me about 5 minutes ago.

Cute little thing. Now I have to charge the battery, RTFM (*), and figure it all out.

RTFM (*) Read The Fantastic Manual, of course

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Box from R&L was handed to me about 5 minutes ago.

Cute little thing. Now I have to charge the battery, RTFM (*), and figure it all out.

RTFM (*) Read The Fantastic Manual, of course

Don't forget, you can use the manual to smack the radio around.

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 02:06 PM
I found information online to be MUCH more useful than the manual.
Did I post a link to the menu in this thread already?
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

NQ6U
11-12-2013, 03:06 PM
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/

Thanks for the link, Charles. It will come in handy—my radio is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the link, Charles. It will come in handy—my radio is due to arrive tomorrow afternoon.

You're welcome and happy butt scratching.

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 06:01 PM

Wonder if I should loan him the Super Station Master, with the poison ivy on it?

NQ6U
11-12-2013, 06:12 PM

I guess I should get one of those non-scratching antennas next, yes? Once I'm done scratching my butt, that is.

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 06:37 PM
I guess I should get one of those non-scratching antennas next, yes? Once I'm done scratching my butt, that is.

Did not find any stateside suppliers but mine still got here in under a month. Nagoya 701 based on reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=nagoya%20701&sprefix=nagoya+70%2Caps&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Anagoya%20701

NQ6U
11-12-2013, 06:43 PM
This one (http://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-NA-701-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XOSW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?m=A1PH6OFMJYJKNX&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1384299740&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=nagoy) is offering free two-day shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member but you do pay a premium for the antenna itself.

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 07:27 PM
This one (http://www.amazon.com/NAGOYA-NA-701-Antenna-BAOFENG-KG-UVD1P/dp/B00BY3XOSW/ref=sr_1_sc_1?m=A1PH6OFMJYJKNX&s=merchant-items&ie=UTF8&qid=1384299740&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=nagoy) is offering free two-day shipping if you're an Amazon Prime member but you do pay a premium for the antenna itself.

As soon as you get the antenna, let me know. We can try .52 simplex from your place to mine.

KG4CGC
11-12-2013, 07:41 PM
As soon as you get the antenna, let me know. We can try .52 simplex from your place to mine.

Get the cable with the right connectors and use 2m yagis for that.

K7SGJ
11-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Get the cable with the right connectors and use 2m yagis for that.

It's only about 350 miles as the crows flies. We don't need no stinkin yagis.

W3WN
11-12-2013, 10:19 PM
http://www.miklor.com/uv5r/I will be following up with that, when I get back to the office.

Now that I have the radio, I can see why programming it "on the fly" is a major PITA. The menus, and how to manuever around them, is NOT intuitive, but it can be done.

I set the rig up for the North Hills ARC repeater, 147.09 +600. Why 09? Because my office is line of site with it -- literally; the repeater is located at the WPXI TV transmitter site, and I can see that antenna tower, across the river.

I can't hit the repeater from my desk, about 10 - 15 feet from the front window. As soon as I approach the window, I could hear stations & key the repeater. So it works... but I wonder about that antenna.

More to come... so to speak...

NQ6U
11-12-2013, 11:00 PM
It's only about 350 miles as the crows flies. We don't need no stinkin yagis.

Not even 300 miles, but there are several fairly sizable mountain ranges between us. I got a rig that will do 100 watts of 2m SSB, though, we could try that some time once I get a decent antenna.

KG4CGC
11-13-2013, 06:13 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/1472869_10202354855132123_16111147_n_zpsd540c315.j pg

NQ6U
11-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Hey, you copied me!

My Baofeng arrived about an hour ago; it powered up on a pair of frequencies outside the AR bands and that's about as far as I got with it. I installed CHirp on the laptop (could have sworn I already did that but, no) and hope to get the thing programmed tonight so I can test it out.

First impression is it's solidly built, but lacks a bit in the appearance department. Kind of reminds me of a '57 DeSoto.

NQ6U
11-13-2013, 06:29 PM
For you youngsters, a '57 DeSoto:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/64/1957_DeSoto_Fireflite.jpg

K7SGJ
11-13-2013, 07:03 PM
Hey, you copied me!

My Baofeng arrived about an hour ago; it powered up on a pair of frequencies outside the AR bands and that's about as far as I got with it. I installed CHirp on the laptop (could have sworn I already did that but, no) and hope to get the thing programmed tonight so I can test it out.

First impression is it's solidly built, but lacks a bit in the appearance department. Kind of reminds me of a '57 DeSoto.

It has large tail fins?

n6hcm
11-13-2013, 08:31 PM
BTW, FWIW, R&L is giving away a UV-5R this week. No purchase necessary. Enter here: http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/radioweek.php

one entry per person per week. ends at the end of the year.

K7SGJ
11-13-2013, 11:45 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Aliens%20Guy/1472869_10202354855132123_16111147_n_zpsd540c315.j pg

Might as well put a connector on the lava lamp, and load that up, too.

KG4CGC
11-14-2013, 12:08 AM
Might as well put a connector on the lava lamp, and load that up, too.

Lemme know when you get that figured that out. The Alinco DJ-X2000 is a scanner. Wanted one back in the day. That or an AOR model. These days, meh.

NA4BH
11-14-2013, 12:09 AM
I hear the glitter helps with contrail bounce. True story.

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I haven't got my replacment antenna yet, been shiped, must be on a slow boat from China via the Ohio River.

Update:

Just checked tracking and at 8:30 am today it was shiped out from Pittsburgh, so it's on it's way down the Ohio River

K7SGJ
11-14-2013, 09:52 AM
I haven't got my replacment antenna yet, been shiped, must be on a slow boat from China via the Ohio River.

Ya got an old wire coat hanger?

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Ya got an old wire coat hanger?

Would be better then the "Rubber Duck dummy load" that came with it

W3WN
11-14-2013, 10:20 AM

Update:

Just checked tracking and at 8:30 am today it was shiped out from Pittsburgh, so it's on it's way down the Ohio RiverWhich antenna did you order, and from where?

Also, thanks for the program & the list. I noticed that the tone listed for 146.955 isn't correct (it's 131.8 ), also that the (arguably) best-coverage repeater in Pittsburgh. 147.090, isn't on it. Anyway, I'm going to go through the list, reorder things a little, and try to upload later today or tomorrow.

Offhand, do you know how to get to the FM BC band? The rig is listed as having capability for it (RX only, of course) but I haven't been able to access it. (This isn't a trivial thing, it's my excuse to take the rig into PNC Park with me -- not as a ham transceiver, but to listen to the radio broadcast of the game)

NQ6U
11-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Would be better then the "Rubber Duck dummy load" that came with it

Ask Charles—it's a "butt scratcher." It works better for that than as an antenna, too.

KG4CGC
11-14-2013, 10:24 AM
do you know how to get to the FM BC band?
The call button of course.

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 10:36 AM
Which antenna did you order, and from where?

Also, thanks for the program & the list. I noticed that the tone listed for 146.955 isn't correct (it's 131.8), also that the (arguably) best-coverage repeater in Pittsburgh. 147.090, isn't on it. Anyway, I'm going to go through the list, reorder things a little, and try to upload later today or tomorrow.

Offhand, do you know how to get to the FM BC band? The rig is listed as having capability for it (RX only, of course) but I haven't been able to access it. (This isn't a trivial thing, it's my excuse to take the rig into PNC Park with me -- not as a ham transceiver, but to listen to the radio broadcast of the game)

Give me a min. Ron and I'll let you know on antenna.To get FM press the red button above the PTT button.

W3WN
11-14-2013, 10:49 AM
The call button of course.Oh. Of course. Obviously. :sarcasm:

Don't press the Band button while holding down the Call button.

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 11:00 AM
Ron I ordered the Nagoya NA - 701, 5.99 plus 2.00 shiping from Amazon. Like I said your going have to redo that list, I'm sure your not wanting Steubenville/ Weirton area RPT's first. Last night I heard a couple of guys on the Homested Rpt. talking first time I heard a Pittsburgh area Rpt open. Right now I have 3ws on coming load and clear on the FM band

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 11:39 AM
Holly Smokes Bulwinkle, now I see why this thing get all kinds of RF into the front end. My guess is they are using 2 chips in it. One master for VHF / UHF, and one just for the FM band that is not being filtered. Someone just tripped local Rpt., FM station I have on went off while he made his call then came back on weaker for a second then back to the Vol. I had it at.

NQ6U
11-14-2013, 12:05 PM
Holly Smokes Bulwinkle, now I see why this thing get all kinds of RF into the front end. My guess is they are using 2 chips in it. One master for VHF / UHF, and one just for the FM band that is not being filtered. Someone just tripped local Rpt., FM station I have on went off while he made his call then came back on weaker for a second then back to the Vol. I had it at.

That's not a bug, it's a feature. The radio is designed to give priority to an incoming signal on whatever comm frequencies you have showing on the display when you switch to the FM BCB. That way you can listen to FM without missing an important call.

If you want to avoid that, set up a blank channel in memory and have that show on both the A and B displays before you go to BCB.

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 12:13 PM
That's not a bug, it's a feature. The radio is designed to give priority to an incoming signal on whatever comm frequencies you have showing on the display when you switch to the FM BCB. That way you can listen to FM without missing an important call.

If you want to avoid that, set up a blank channel in memory and have that show on both the A and B displays before you go to BCB.

Didn't think it was a bug, just kept wondering why when I walked by my cable box, radio picked it up, turn on my CPAP, radio picked it up, WiFi ...... You get the picture...... So what do you think of yours Carl?

KC2UGV
11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Didn't think it was a bug, just kept wondering why when I walked by my cable box, radio picked it up, turn on my CPAP, radio picked it up, WiFi ...... You get the picture...... So what do you think of yours Carl?

Weird. I work in a high RF environment, and my radio does not do that (Baofeng UV-5R). Is your electrical system in your house installed in any sort of sane manner?

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 12:26 PM
Weird. I work in a high RF environment, and my radio does not do that (Baofeng UV-5R). Is your electrical system in your house installed in any sort of sane manner?

Good question, this house had been re-wired and upgraded to 200 amp from 100 amp a year before we bought it 9 years ago. I don't know, interesting. And I have the same raido as you.

NQ6U
11-14-2013, 12:29 PM

Too soon to say. I only got it yesterday and spent most of the evening after dinner last night getting it programmed via CHirp. About all I've been able to do is kerchunk a couple of repeaters to see that it does at least put out some RF.

I had a little trouble getting things going under OS X but it worked fine once I switched to Linux. It helped a lot that I had a CHirp programming file for my IC-2200H 2m mobile rig available. Once I downloaded from the Baofeng, I imported the 2m data from the mobile rig's file and merged the two. That way, both radios are programmed exactly the same on 2m (which helps with wetware memory limitations) and I only had to look up and type in the data for 70cm. It was a big time saver.

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 01:12 PM
Too soon to say. I only got it yesterday and spent most of the evening after dinner last night getting it programmed via CHirp. About all I've been able to do is kerchunk a couple of repeaters to see that it does at least put out some RF.

I had a little trouble getting things going under OS X but it worked fine once I switched to Linux. It helped a lot that I had a CHirp programming file for my IC-2200H 2m mobile rig available. Once I downloaded from the Baofeng, I imported the 2m data from the mobile rig's file and merged the two. That way, both radios are programmed exactly the same on 2m (which helps with wetware memory limitations) and I only had to look up and type in the data for 70cm. It was a big time saver.

Chirp was what I used, a friend of mine sent me a copy that he used to program his, I passed it on to Ron, intrested to see if it worked for him. The biggest problem I had was the usb cable looking for updates, once I disabled the internet it worked fine. Used it in the car yesterday talked to a few guys localy, we went to the local 440 rpt. and I had no problem until I got to my driveway then I was falling out of it.

K7SGJ
11-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Chirp was what I used, a friend of mine sent me a copy that he used to program his, I passed it on to Ron, intrested to see if it worked for him. The biggest problem I had was the usb cable looking for updates, once I disabled the internet it worked fine. Used it in the car yesterday talked to a few guys localy, we went to the local 440 rpt. and I had no problem until I got to my driveway then I was falling out of it.

The repeater or your car?

W3WN
11-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Ron I ordered the Nagoya NA - 701, 5.99 plus 2.00 shiping from Amazon. Like I said your going have to redo that list, I'm sure your not wanting Steubenville/ Weirton area RPT's first. Last night I heard a couple of guys on the Homested Rpt. talking first time I heard a Pittsburgh area Rpt open. Right now I have 3ws on coming load and clear on the FM bandHomestead? That has to be Andy WA3PBD's repeater, 146.73. Although he also has a 145 MHz machine at the same site (145.47 if memory serves) ... but that's another story. 73 and 09 have the widest coverage areas of all the local machines, so if you want to talk with someone a decent as-the-crow-flies distance from the city, those are the best two to use.

...and while I'm thinking of it, see if you can hear or even key up 146.955 (131.8 PL), now that it's been relocated...

I'll go ahead and order that antenna.

I won't have time this afternoon to play around with Chirp. (I only have a few minutes right now as I'm waiting for a program to compile & process, before I can run a report for someone). Just playing catch-up after blowing the whole day at the hospital yesterday. Tomorrow looks better.

3WS is a decent station. But I'm more interested in the former B-94FM, now known as KDKA-FM. Hmmm. I wonder what frequencies the Pirates security people use?

WX7P
11-14-2013, 02:39 PM
Homestead? That has to be Andy WA3PBD's repeater, 146.73. Although he also has a 145 MHz machine at the same site (145.47 if memory serves) ... but that's another story. 73 and 09 have the widest coverage areas of all the local machines, so if you want to talk with someone a decent as-the-crow-flies distance from the city, those are the best two to use.

...and while I'm thinking of it, see if you can hear or even key up 146.955 (131.8 PL), now that it's been relocated...

I won't have time this afternoon to play around with Chirp. (I only have a few minutes right now as I'm waiting for a program to compile & process, before I can run a report for someone). Just playing catch-up after blowing the whole day at the hospital yesterday. Tomorrow looks better.

3WS is a decent station. But I'm more interested in the former B-94FM, now known as KDKA-FM. Hmmm. I wonder what frequencies the Pirates security people use?

Here's some..

151.6250 Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh, PA
467.7625 Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh, PA
467.7500 Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh, PA
467.8500 Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh, PA
467.9250 Pittsburgh Pirates Pittsburgh, PA

On Edit: More on this page under PNC Park http://www.pghscanner.com/pghradio.html#P

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 04:35 PM
The repeater or your car?

Been a looooong time that I fell out of a car Eddie......

N8GAV
11-14-2013, 05:00 PM
Homestead? That has to be Andy WA3PBD's repeater, 146.73. Although he also has a 145 MHz machine at the same site (145.47 if memory serves) ... but that's another story. 73 and 09 have the widest coverage areas of all the local machines, so if you want to talk with someone a decent as-the-crow-flies distance from the city, those are the best two to use.

It was 146.730 that I heard. I'll be in Pittsburgh tomorrow, going to the Nero Clinc at the VA I'll see what I can do with it in the car while I'm there

kb2vxa
11-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Use the best database available on the net: http://www.radioreference.com/

W3WN
11-14-2013, 10:16 PM
It was 146.730 that I heard. I'll be in Pittsburgh tomorrow, going to the Nero Clinc at the VA I'll see what I can do with it in the car while I'm thereI'll keep an ear peeled, so to speak.

K7SGJ
11-14-2013, 10:25 PM
I'll keep an ear peeled, so to speak.

Man, that's going to leave a mark.

NQ6U
11-14-2013, 10:56 PM

Just had my first extended repeater contact with Baofeng. Seems to work fine; even with the stock rubber ducky butt scratcher I was able to hit the Lyons Peak 2m repeater 18 miles away full quieting. I talked for nearly an hour and barely made a dent in the charge level. Reports said the audio quality was good. For $38, you really can't beat it.

K7SGJ
11-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Just had my first extended repeater contact with Baofeng. Seems to work fine; even with the stock rubber ducky butt scratcher I was able to hit the Lyons Peak 2m repeater 18 miles away full quieting. I talked for nearly an hour and barely made a dent in the charge level. Reports said the audio quality was good. For $38, you really can't beat it.

Yeah you can. Hold it by the antenna and swing it around into a wall a few times. That should beat it a bit.

N8GAV
11-15-2013, 06:26 PM
I'll keep an ear peeled, so to speak.

Well Ron, I was on the 146.880 rpt. talked to a couple of guys then we went to the 443.450 rpt.just to try it out. They had no problems hearing me, said that that little HT sounded good.

KG4CGC
11-15-2013, 06:31 PM
They do sound good OTA. I tested mine into the scanner on simplex and was impressed by the audio coming out of the little scanner speaker. Looks like it might be a candidate for a mobile amp and antenna. At home, I have the Cushcraft 13B on the back porch but I don't know how I'll ever set that up on TV antenna mast material. If I could, I could run that with no amp and have the largest station in the nation.

NQ6U
11-15-2013, 11:54 PM
They do sound good OTA. I tested mine into the scanner on simplex and was impressed by the audio coming out of the little scanner speaker.

Today I was on a repeater with the Baofeng and found out the guy I was talking to was using one as well. His audio was indistinguishable from any other dual-band FM rig I ever heard.

I have been pleased enough with the radio to ditch the stock butt scratcher and go for the NA-701. I found a place stateside that carries it; they charged more for the antenna than one of the Chinese outfits but the shipping was free and it seemed worth it to pay a couple of bucks extra to get it on Tuesday.

N8GAV
11-16-2013, 10:01 AM
I bought the speaker / mic but haven't used it yet, that that the next thing to try out. And I'm going to order the bigger battery pack for $17 what the hell.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Today I was on a repeater with the Baofeng and found out the guy I was talking to was using one as well. His audio was indistinguishable from any other dual-band FM rig I ever heard.

I have been pleased enough with the radio to ditch the stock butt scratcher and go for the NA-701. I found a place stateside that carries it; they charged more for the antenna than one of the Chinese outfits but the shipping was free and it seemed worth it to pay a couple of bucks extra to get it on Tuesday.
Yeah but you drive a 20 something year old Ford Ranger.

NQ6U
11-16-2013, 01:31 PM

Yeah. What?

BTW, this is all your fault for starting this thread. Bastid.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
Yeah. What?

And you don't have a Craigslist stalker.

NQ6U
11-16-2013, 01:32 PM
And you don't have a Craigslist stalker.

You know I'm jealous, right?

KG4NEL
11-16-2013, 01:51 PM

I bet I have more rust, even if he has me beat on years.

K7SGJ
11-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I bet I have more rust, even if he has me beat on years.

On your vehicle, or..................................ooops......... ....never mind.

KG4CGC
11-16-2013, 04:57 PM
On your vehicle, or..................................ooops......... ....never mind.

What? His root cellar?

NQ6U
11-16-2013, 05:32 PM
What? His root cellar?

His butt scratcher?

W3WN
11-16-2013, 06:09 PM
You know I'm jealous, right?Why? Do you want a Craigslist stalker?

If so, I'll see what I can arrange...

NQ6U
11-16-2013, 08:30 PM
Why? Do you want a Craigslist stalker?

If so, I'll see what I can arrange...

Stalker isn't really the right word. I'm jealous of the Barkeep's Groupie/Secret Admirer. He had a woman posting love notes for him on his local Craislist Missed Connections section.

KG4CGC
11-17-2013, 01:04 AM
BTW, this is all your fault for starting this thread. Bastid.

Just spreading the Good News, brother.

K7SGJ
11-17-2013, 09:16 AM
ANd for a few bucks more, you coulda had a pair of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008B8565&nm_mc=EMC-MP111713&cm_mmc=EMC-MP111713-_-EMC-111713-Index-_-index-_-9SIA0U008B8565

N8GAV
11-17-2013, 09:44 AM
ANd for a few bucks more, you coulda had a pair of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA0U008B8565&nm_mc=EMC-MP111713&cm_mmc=EMC-MP111713-_-EMC-111713-Index-_-index-_-9SIA0U008B8565

No kidding Dick Tracy??

N8GAV
11-17-2013, 09:50 AM
Got my antenna yesterday, big differance. I can hit the local UHF rpt's. a lot better.

W3WN
11-17-2013, 10:13 PM
Stalker isn't really the right word. I'm jealous of the Barkeep's Groupie/Secret Admirer. He had a woman posting love notes for him on his local Craislist Missed Connections section.Ah, I see.

I'm reminded of my dad's, ah, other woman. She started hanging around his shop, passing him love notes and such.

Of course, at the time, he was about 50, and she was about... 75. With pink hair. Really. Somehow, she'd mistaken him for her (late) husband, poor thing.

After a few months of this, she stopped. We think her family relocated her...

NQ6U
11-17-2013, 10:40 PM
Got my antenna yesterday, big differance. I can hit the local UHF rpt's. a lot better.

Mine's due in with tomorrow's mail. Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference there is, both in terms of RF and butt scratching.

NQ6U
11-18-2013, 02:12 PM
Mine's due in with tomorrow's mail. Looking forward to seeing how much of a difference there is, both in terms of RF and butt scratching.

Nagoya NA-701 arrived today. Jury is still out on any improvement as an antenna but I think it's a far better butt-scratcher than the Barkeep gives it credit for.

KG4CGC
11-18-2013, 02:22 PM
Nagoya NA-701 arrived today. Jury is still out on any improvement as an antenna but I think it's a far better butt-scratcher than the Barkeep gives it credit for.

My own tests were conclusive as for range over the hilly terrain of the foothills. 701. My own tests were also conclusive as for which antenna is the superior butt scratcher. The stock one wins hands down. Unfortunately for the stock antenna as a butt scratcher, I will be tearing it apart and using the base section and the connector to create a cable for m/mobile use. If there is a coil spring inside, half the structural work will be done for me.

NQ6U
11-18-2013, 04:30 PM
My own tests were conclusive as for range over the hilly terrain of the foothills. 701. My own tests were also conclusive as for which antenna is the superior butt scratcher. The stock one wins hands down.

No argument here that the stock unit is the superior butt-scratcher, I'm just saying that I think the Nagoya works quite well, better than you let on.

Unfortunately for the stock antenna as a butt scratcher, I will be tearing it apart and using the base section and the connector to create a cable for m/mobile use. If there is a coil spring inside, half the structural work will be done for me.

Tell me how the modification of the old antenna works out. I may do the same thing.

W3WN
01-10-2014, 03:43 PM
* bump *

So, my UV-5R has basically sat for the last almost 2 months. I was waiting on the replacement antenna... which never arrived. Turned out that for reasons unknown, it was returned to sender as "Undeliverable". Once I got my shekels back, I planned to get another one. Then Ben KB3ERQ (who has the cubical next to mine) decided he was going to get one too. Between one thing and another... his radio and my replacement antenna finally came.

First and foremost: Get the antenna. The "stock" antennas is a pitiful excuse for a rubber duck, it's more suited to being a dummy load. Just putting the new antenna on (we each got the "Nagoya" NA-771 from "Reux Industrial Co. Ltd" ) meant that I was suddenly hearing local repeaters that the UV-5 was deaf to. (One of which was 147.09, which is on Channel 11's tower across the river from work... it's literally line of sight). More importantly, I could now key them!

That said... we had some minor adventures in programming. Biggest one was getting the driver for the Baofent USB programming cable to load. Part of the problem was that we used an old IBM XP laptop, SPARE 1, that's sitting on my desk, and it was being cranky. Part of it too is that you have to get the older software. The cable is supposed to use the "Prolific USB/Serial" chip. Most of these cables are using the suspect Prolific clones, and the newer software will NOT work on them.

Because the machine was cranky, it took a little while to get the CHIRP software running. But it finally came up.

Once it did, and once you remembered to change the COM port to that of the USB cable... piece of cake.

I now have a functioning little radio sitting on my desk.

And this has now gotten to be important. A few weeks back, word went around that a couple of bootleggers were using the club's 442.55 repeater, over across the river. I don't know who "Mobile 1" and "Mobile 2" are, or what they think they're doing, but they're going to have to go somewhere else to coordinate their landscaping business. We're listening.

Finally: A big, big "THANK YOU" from both Ben & myself to Hank N8GAV, who was kind enough to not only send me a copy of CHIRP, but also a sample CSV file with most of the region's repeaters already programmed in. Outside of changing the order around, and adding one or two frequencies he didn't have (the simplex frequency used by the PVGP hams and the 147.090 machine, an odd omission since it's generally considered the "primary" repeater for Allegheny County), I used it verbatim.