PDA

View Full Version : New Brand of CB Radio ?

koØm
10-07-2013, 10:48 AM
*My* latest CB find, I found it here: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?396670-CB-radio-vs-amateur-radio-what-are-your-thoughts&p=2970012#post2970012

ON the Chickenband, everyone is ANNONYMOUS! All identities are well hidden, cuz the FCC might be listenning and conduct a RAID! That's cuz NO ONE is running just 5 Watts! Many are running 50,000 watts! Or atleast 2KW if they are home.

Because of the annonmyminty (or however that is spelled), U can't exchange QSL cards or work new countries for Awards. Some Uppity Chickenbanders have QSLs, but very few.

Most get on there and start HOWLING TO THE MOON, whistling and making STUPID NOISES like U would hear on 435. The most INTELLIGENT person, once on the CHickenband, becomes a BLITHERING IDIOT! And everyone on the Chickenband has a Deep South REDNECK Accent, even if they are from Chicago or Washington! Its just somethun U DO on the CHickenband.

But there IS some pockets of CIVILITY, as I have heard. Some of the Truckers actually use the Queens English to talk to each other (if their Echobox is disabled)

I have the Chickenband programmed into my Icom 706. OH WAIT!!! That is more than 5 WATTS!!! Now I will be in DEEP DOODOO with Laura!.

I didn't know that Icom made a Citizens' Band radio, the IC-706MkIII doesn't transmit on 11 meters unless it had been modified; wouldn't that make this radio "unauthorized" for use as an amateur radio as well as a radio which is allowed from 26.965 - 27.405 Mhz?

Is it wise to announce on QRZ.com that you operate one of these radios?

KC2UGV
10-07-2013, 10:54 AM
*My* latest CB find, I found it here: http://forums.qrz.com/showthread.php?396670-CB-radio-vs-amateur-radio-what-are-your-thoughts&p=2970012#post2970012

I didn't know that Icom made a Citizens' Band radio, the IC-706MkIII doesn't transmit on 11 meters unless it had been modified; wouldn't that make this radio "unauthorized" for use as an amateur radio as well as a radio which is allowed from 26.965 - 27.405 Mhz?

Is it wise to announce on QRZ.com that you operate one of these radios?

Why not? Doesn't a staff member over yonder run a Pirate CB forum?

KG4NEL
10-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Yes, it's illegal for CB.

No, as far as ham use goes, it doesn't matter. The 706MKIIG doesn't cover 60 meters without the mod, either.

KG4CGC
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Before I even clicked, I knew who you were talking about. LULZ.

KG4NEL
10-07-2013, 03:59 PM
The only one that hasn't figured out what caps mean on the Interwebs, or doesn't care.

wa6mhz
10-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Having a radio capable of operation on the Chickenband is much different than actually OPERATING a radio on the Chickenband. Unless a FCC monitor is in the seat next to me, who can prove what? No, I don't transmit on the Chickenband, but should I need to, I can. I DID during the Joplin Tornado storm on the Sunday of Dayton 2011 when half the town was leveled. I talked to the truckers on what they had seen and what the road situation was ahead. Go ahead, send me a PINK TICKET!

kb2vxa
10-07-2013, 05:37 PM
"Having a radio capable of operation on the Chickenband is much different than actually OPERATING a radio on the Chickenband."
Since when? POSSESSION of a non certified transmitter or amplifier that's capable of transmitting on 11M indicates INTENT and gets a citation for operating without a license. Don't ask, don't argue, when the FCC web site comes back look up all the violations. You'll see for yourself because you don't believe me.

"Go ahead, send me a PINK TICKET!"
Come into today's world, NALs have been on white letterhead at least since the 60s. (;->)

"Is it wise to announce on QRZ.com that you operate one of these radios?"
In the present tense I'd say no except for one thing, IF the FCC cruises around the CB web sites it's pretty obvious they don't care. Most NALs result from investigations started on solid ground with complaints of interference with other radio services. In the past tense I don't care, the statute of limitations ran out a LONG time ago. (;->)

W3WN
10-08-2013, 07:37 AM
Of course, just because the radio is capable of operating on 11 meters doesn't mean that the owner actually operates it on 11 meters. Right Pat?

... The TS-430S I once owned had been "opened up" to enable transmit on the WARC bands. The mod to do that actually made it a transceiver across all of HF, not just the ham bands. I'd totally forgotten about that, until the one year I set up the station for the Pa QSO Party from my (then) brother-in-law's trailer, down on the family farm in Greene County. My mistake was setting things up the weekend before. Found out the following weekend that he just couldn't keep his hands off the rig... and in the process of hooking it up, he somehow blew out the regulator on my Astron RS-20. Suffice to say, I never made THAT mistake again...

(Incidentally, I don't know if he ever actually transmitted on the rig. He denied it, of course. Still, how do you blow out an Astron when you're just hooking up a power cable to it? I never did get a straight answer to any of that... just got scolded by my now-ex that it was my own fault for trusting him...)

WØTKX
10-08-2013, 08:10 AM
The government shutdown has affected the FCC's funding, motivated the statement of possibilities, and it's all Obama's fault.

KG4NEL
10-08-2013, 09:28 AM
The government shutdown has affected the FCC's funding, motivated the statement of possibilities, and it's all Obama's fault.

Wrong forum.

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm almost halfway impressed the "people" over there can turn any discussion from global monetary policy to the pastrami and swiss they had today into a discussion about Obama.

WØTKX
10-08-2013, 10:21 AM
The A-1 radio operator quoted by the OP likely DID get motivation by blaming others for this A-1 behavior.

Obama as scapegoat is insanely popular, and well... it just works without any critical thinking needed.

KG4CGC
10-08-2013, 04:50 PM
Wrong forum.

:lol:

Seriously though, I'm almost halfway impressed the "people" over there can turn any discussion from global monetary policy to the pastrami and swiss they had today into a discussion about Obama.

Well, Obama IS putting mind control drugs in the food supply and if it wasn't for people like Bill O'Really I would have never known about it.

KG4NEL
10-08-2013, 05:59 PM
Fluoridation of water, Mandrake...

N8YX
10-09-2013, 05:33 AM
Why not? Doesn't a staff member over yonder run a Pirate CB forum?

Arrrr ye insinuatin' somethin', laddie?

KC2UGV
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
Arrrr ye insinuatin' somethin', laddie?

Nah, just that a staff member over yonder runs a site that caters to CB pirates. I could be mistaken, however. :P

N2NH
10-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Hey, hey! O'Really got da one an onluh Holy Ghost Ta help with his latest book. Just as him
Well, Obama IS putting mind control drugs in the food supply and if it wasn't for people like Bill O'Really I would have never known about it.

koØm
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Nah, just that a staff member over yonder runs a site that caters to CB pirates. I could be mistaken, however. :P

No, you are 100% correct, I hadn't been there for over a year and, don't you dare post anything contrary to the philosophy of the owner/operators of the site, they insist on keeping the population of the board blissfully ignorant. I disagreed with "Captain Kilowatt / QRN" (the head Amplifier Tek-pert) and, the Sons of Biscuit eaters deleted the posting.

Zup, they are the QR-Zed of Pirate/Free-band Radio crowd and "Happy Hamer" is the "Karol" in sheep's clothing that works for Fred in the sell-trade-buy section at 'Da-Zed.

n2ize
10-11-2013, 10:31 PM
"Having a radio capable of operation on the Chickenband is much different than actually OPERATING a radio on the Chickenband."
Since when? POSSESSION of a non certified transmitter or amplifier that's capable of transmitting on 11M indicates INTENT and gets a citation for operating without a license. Don't ask, don't argue, when the FCC web site comes back look up all the violations. You'll see for yourself because you don't believe me.

Does that mean my Johnson Viking 2 is an illegal radio ?

kb2vxa
10-13-2013, 09:55 AM
No, illegal radios have to be modified to go on 11M. The Viking II is one of the reasons we coined the phrase "Happiness is a big Johnson."

KG4NEL
10-13-2013, 01:10 PM
No, illegal radios have to be modified to go on 11M. The Viking II is one of the reasons we coined the phrase "Happiness is a big Johnson."

Pat's comment (I think) was that there's nothing illegal about a ham simply owning a MARS-modified radio that's capable of operation on 11M.

If that was the case, there'd be a lot of 60M ops in hot water... :)

kb2vxa
10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
Pat's comment? What's wrong with us having a little fun?
OK, everybody get serious now, MARS/CAP mods are only legal if you're a member of MARS but CAP uses "special" radios these days so that doesn't count. 60M is obvious and in the case of the MK2G which I own BTW you can't get 60M without opening up the transmit VFO to track the receiver. As long as you hold a license to operate it (on ham bands) owning it is legal as long as you don't transmit outside your privileges. Common sense since unless you're an Extra you can do that without modifying it, no?

KG4CGC
10-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Pat's comment? What's wrong with us having a little fun?
OK, everybody get serious now, MARS/CAP mods are only legal if you're a member of MARS but CAP uses "special" radios these days so that doesn't count. 60M is obvious and in the case of the MK2G which I own BTW you can't get 60M without opening up the transmit VFO to track the receiver. As long as you hold a license to operate it (on ham bands) owning it is legal as long as you don't transmit outside your privileges. Common sense since unless you're an Extra you can do that without modifying it, no?

And now you can buy a VHF/UHF radio out of China that will transmit on public service bands with no mods what so ever kind of reinforces the idea that you are on the honor system if you hold a ham license but if you're just an average Joe, you may not know that these radios have a real ID, a name that can be traced back to your specific unit ... if you get caught.

kb2vxa
10-19-2013, 09:02 AM
Excuse me? When did they start putting the only legal ID, CWID in ham rigs? What purpose would it serve and how to justify the added expense? When did hams start programming them to identify? WHY did they put CWID chips in them, to confuse and annoy repeater users?

"...you may not know that these radios have a real ID, a name that can be traced back to your specific unit ... if you get caught."
Any radio can be "fingerprinted" but in order to be traced the same procedure used to track human prints must be followed. Then if you're an average Joe why go out and buy a radio?

KG4CGC
10-19-2013, 12:36 PM
Excuse me? When did they start putting the only legal ID, CWID in ham rigs? What purpose would it serve and how to justify the added expense? When did hams start programming them to identify? WHY did they put CWID chips in them, to confuse and annoy repeater users?

"...you may not know that these radios have a real ID, a name that can be traced back to your specific unit ... if you get caught."
Any radio can be "fingerprinted" but in order to be traced the same procedure used to track human prints must be followed. Then if you're an average Joe why go out and buy a radio?

No. It's a silent ID that can be forensically extracted on the receiving end by LE and 3 letter spook types.

kb2vxa
10-20-2013, 02:08 PM
I'll update my last comment; if you're an average paranoid schizophrenic psycho you'll not only not buy a radio you'll live in a Faraday cage and wear a tin foil hat when you go out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4boNyIW-2w

K7SGJ
10-20-2013, 08:09 PM
No. It's a silent ID that can be forensically extracted on the receiving end by LE and 3 letter spook types.

SID? Anything like an SBD

kb2vxa
10-22-2013, 10:01 AM
Heh, self destruct. You know what happens when you let the invisible smoke out.