PDA

View Full Version : Caller I.D.

koØm
10-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Why I like "Caller I.D."
My phone rings and the Caller I.D. says, "Blah-blah Mutual Insurance Company".
I answer the phone and said, "Make it quick".
The caller asks for me and, I identify myself to him.
The caller asks, "Did I catch you at a bad time?"
I responded, "It's a bad time if you called to try to sell me some more insurance."
There was a loud "Gulp" followed by long pause, (I think he swallowed his bubblegum or something) and then the caller said, "Oh, I'm sorry to have bothered you."
I said, "Thanks, and you have a nice day."
I like "Caller I.D." !

KG4NEL
10-03-2013, 03:42 PM
I haven't had a landline phone in years, and I don't miss it.

KB3LAZ
10-03-2013, 04:09 PM
I haven't had a landline phone in years, and I don't miss it.

I don't phones, home or cell but it is still nice to have one or the other. I opt for a home phone even though I have a cell because the plans here are sub par at best. It is like the 90s all over again.

K7SGJ
10-03-2013, 11:17 PM
I don't phones, home or cell but it is still nice to have one or the other. I opt for a home phone even though I have a cell because the plans here are sub par at best. It is like the 90s all over again.

Yup. We mostly use a cell phone, but have to have a landline for the security/fire system.

KB3LAZ
10-04-2013, 02:56 PM
Yup. We mostly use a cell phone, but have to have a landline for the security/fire system.

I have a land line because the plans for cellphones here are awful. They have the old school plans such as 200, 700, or 1000 minutes for an arm, a leg, or both. Messaging cost per message, etc. If I had to call the cable company for any reason and I had to use my cell then I would use the 200 minutes while on hold.

W7XF
10-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Trav....have your mom send you a magic jack! And have her activate it at her house, so you have a stateside number.

W2NAP
10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
the few times I have answered a phone and it was a telemarketer I just pretended to be a detective working a murder scene and start drilling the telemarketer with questions

n2ize
10-04-2013, 06:47 PM
Phones ?? What are they ?

NQ6U
10-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Roughly half the time, pressing the 9 key will end the call and put you on their do not call list. Somewhat less often, pressing the 2 key will do the same.

NQ6U
10-04-2013, 06:50 PM
dupe

kb2vxa
10-04-2013, 08:24 PM
An answering machine screens my calls, I just ignore those I don't wish to talk to. Telemarketers are easy, the moment they get an answering machine they go on to the next victim. Back in the dial up ISP days I had a dedicated modem line, when I wasn't on line the modem answered and they got an earful of handshake tones.

KB3LAZ
10-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Trav....have your mom send you a magic jack! And have her activate it at her house, so you have a stateside number.

Lol, my land line works just fine. It is the cell plans that suck. I hate phones as it is. I use skype to call my parents.

n6hcm
10-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Lol, my land line works just fine. It is the cell plans that suck. I hate phones as it is. I use skype to call my parents.

that's because, for some reason, people like pay-as-you-go plans there (probably because the monthly plans suck, but it's not like the PAYG plans are better--you can just buy them in smaller pieces).

KB3LAZ
10-06-2013, 08:08 AM
that's because, for some reason, people like pay-as-you-go plans there (probably because the monthly plans suck, but it's not like the PAYG plans are better--you can just buy them in smaller pieces).

They are monthly plans. Pay as you go comes from the same company here and they are hardly cheaper. I have never seen a card under 200 minutes. They may exist, I just haven't seen them. Simply put, all cell plans here suck. If you tell someone about an unlimited plan here it is like you told them the secret to life. I pay as much for 200 minutes a month as I did for unlimited everything back home. No one I have talked to actually likes the plans here. Particularly those who have visited other countries and have seen their plans. That would be most people. Traveling from country to country isn't expensive here and the Spanish seem to travel a lot (they should there are at least three holidays a month).

Technology in general seems to be more expensive here in the EU but in Spain it is even more expensive.

Edit: I only know of the three major companies, there may be more. Orange, Movi star, and Vodafone. You have three options. Good phone service, good customer service, or cheaper phones. Either way they are 90's plans with 90's prices. Awful.

n6hcm
10-07-2013, 03:22 AM
they're *not* cheaper, but you can buy them in units smaller than one month. that's why it works at all. when i was there i used vodafone (the other firms didn't provide trans-europe roaming as well).

KB3LAZ
10-07-2013, 05:39 AM
they're *not* cheaper, but you can buy them in units smaller than one month. that's why it works at all. when i was there i used vodafone (the other firms didn't provide trans-europe roaming as well).

Still it would be nice to have something like straight talk, lol. But apps such as WhatsApp really cut down on the bill for many people. There is always a way.

W3WN
10-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Roughly half the time, pressing the 9 key will end the call and put you on their do not call list. Somewhat less often, pressing the 2 key will do the same.Depends on the scam artist. The one that keeps calling, to tell me that my medical supplies are ready for delivery... you have to listen to the whole message to learn that they want you to hit 5 to end further calls. Only they don't end.

Caller ID shows the originating number, if it's a valid one, to have a Canadian area code. So the federal Do Not Call list doesn't apply. (Besides, I'm sure it's a phony number, or if a complaint is lodged, the company will be virtually impossible to track down)