PDA

View Full Version : Buctober First

W3WN
10-02-2013, 12:59 AM
[I know not everyone reading the forums cares about sports in general and/or baseball in particular. The following is not for those... be forewarned, else ye risk walking the plank... ]

We got home about an hour ago, I'm still pumped up.

The first playoff game in PNC Park history. The first playoff game for the Pirates in 21 years. You think this town wasn't excited? The Penguins players wore Pirates shirts during practice, Pirates logos on their helmets, and played a game of whiffle ball on hockey skates (ESPN is showing some highlights of that on Sportscenter as I type this)... the Boys of Winter saluting the Boys of Summer.

The Pirates called for a Blackout. They asked everyone to wear black. Most everyone did. It was an amazing sight. (Yes, I have pictures, they're not downloaded from the camera yet. Tomorrow... ok, later this morning)

There are about 37,000 seats in PNC Park. They also sell some SRO tickets, once they get close to or at a sell out. Tonight's paid attendance: ~41,000. ~4000 people paid to stand and watch. The Rotunda in the back of left field? Packed. The 6 PM newscast on KDKA noted that right after the gates opened (at 6) there was a stampede of people heading straight for the Rotunda, to get a choice spot.

An estimated 5000+ people stood on the Clemente Bridge, close enough to peer into the stadium & listen to the PA. And almost everyone stayed to the end. Very few people left early.

A sea of black, with a few dots of red here & there. Very few Reds fans at the game.

Scalpers were out as early as 12:30, when I went out for lunch. (The game started at 8:07 PM EDT) Tickets in our section had a face value of $21... they were asking for over $200 each. And getting it.

The Pirates dominated the game. If you want the details, check the sports section; I'm not that good at the pure news side of the game. Suffice to say, the fans were into it and then some. I have never heard the stadium that loud. The crowd started jeering the Reds starting pitcher... Johnny Cueto got rattled, and it showed. The Reds never had a real chance.

When the game was finally over... Little Miss Field Day had the biggest grin on her face I've ever seen. The boss suddenly broke out in tears, her emotions finally caught up with her.

We had a few Reds fans sitting behind us. No, they didn't get hassled (not personally), and they took the loss well. They wished us well, wished the Pirates good luck, and told us that they'd wave the Pirate Rally Towels in support of us. Nice guys.

...rally towels? Yup. Black towels with a Jolly Roger flag printed on them.

But the best part of the night? I'd started taping the news & some other programs right before we left. They had an interview with Sid Bream... the former Pirate who broke everyone's hearts 21 years ago. Of course, the interview is preceeded by That Play.

For the first time in 21 years, I could watch that play. No desire to turn away, to avert our eyes, to remember the heartache. It's finally over. The curse is over.

Can't wait for Sunday. NLDS Games 1 & 2 are in St. Louis on Thursday & Friday, back here for games 3 & 4 Sunday & Monday.

W3WN
10-02-2013, 01:18 PM
OK, a few pictures, in no particular order...
10766 This is what the stands... all the stands... looked like.
10767 Doug Drabek on his way out to the mound to throw the ceremonial first pitch. (He was too fast for me, I don't have a good shot of him actually throwing it)
10768A VERY happy LMFD... who's threatening my life for taking her picture. Note that she's happily eating ice cream, while the Boss, sitting next to her, is freezing.
10769The Rotunda in the Left Field corner. This is all SRO ticket holders...

W3WN
10-02-2013, 01:23 PM
10770Pedro Alvarez getting one of his hits
10771Anyone up for some Grilled Cheese?
10772And now you know where I rate... my hat gets in the picture, I'm left in the shadows. So it goes.

ad4mg
10-02-2013, 07:39 PM
Good for you guys, Ron! I watched the game until the 6th or 7th inning, looked like the Pirates had things under control. I could tell the place was rocking, and it was obvious how loud it was there while watching the game on TV!

suddenseer
10-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Ron, this thread renews my trust in baseball, and families. Baseball connects us to our pre-civil war selves. It is the magick cement that holds many people together. I catch myself getting cynical with the modern day drama that we call, "life". Baseball is my 'reset button'. I am happy to see your family relishing the Buco's return to October baseball. I hope they go all the way. :agree:

K7SGJ
10-03-2013, 11:28 PM
"The one constant through all the years, Ray, is baseball".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SB16il97yw

NA4BH
10-03-2013, 11:34 PM
"The one constant through all the years, Ray, is baseball".

NO..NO..NO.. Ray is a drop of golden sun.

K7SGJ
10-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Damn, I always get that wrong.

NA4BH
10-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Guild it and they will come.

K7SGJ
10-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Guild it and they will come.

Well, if they do, I ain't cleaning it up.

NA4BH
10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
That's why they have condominiums.

K7SGJ
10-04-2013, 12:06 AM
I'm not going to waste time dwelling on that.

NA4BH
10-04-2013, 12:12 AM
I'm not going to waste time dwelling on that.

If you had a level footing, your foundation would be stronger on this topic.

NQ6U
10-04-2013, 11:07 AM
NO..NO..NO.. Ray is a drop of golden sun.

D'oh!

W3WN
10-04-2013, 01:31 PM
D'oh!A deer. A female deer.

A four legged rodent that eats my hostas, roses, and would demolish my vegetable garden if it wasn't fenced in and patrolled by a half-beagle.

Or, in the immortal words of Homer J. Simpson: D'oh!

K7SGJ
10-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Speaking of Senor Simpson, who's going to get killed off? It's supposed to be one of the main characters, and the clue is, the voice talent for that character won an Emmy. Not much help since most all of them have won an Emmy.

W3WN
10-04-2013, 08:25 PM
Speaking of Senor Simpson, who's going to get killed off? It's supposed to be one of the main characters, and the clue is, the voice talent for that character won an Emmy. Not much help since most all of them have won an Emmy.
That's actually not much of a clue. Hank Azaria (for one) voices a bunch of characters, so it could be any one of them.

KK4AMI
10-05-2013, 02:44 PM

I'm goin' with Rabbi Krustofski. Jackie Mason is hittin' 83.

PS- I was excited about rooting for the Pirates this year. The Steelers are making for some pretty boring Sundays. I might have to start going back to church again with my In-laws just for excitement.

W3WN
10-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I'm goin' with Rabbi Krustofski. Jackie Mason is hittin' 83.

PS- I was excited about rooting for the Pirates this year. The Steelers are making for some pretty boring Sundays. I might have to start going back to church again with my In-laws just for excitement.
Remember when Jackie Mason was allegedly funny?

Keep rooting. We'll be there tomorrow and Monday...

WX7P
10-05-2013, 07:29 PM
I predict Sideshow Bob.

Kelsey Grammer won an Emmy and he's involved in some serious acting stuff unrelated to comedy.

He might be wanted to change his image...