PDA

View Full Version : Custom QSL Designs

Jeff K1NSS
09-26-2013, 07:55 PM
BTW, I sell custom QSL art, among other ham graphics.

Custom clients receive a QSL printer-ready high-resolution digital file for the front side of their card – including call, handle and simple QTH, plus a web-res file for QRL and social media. Most QSL printers offer highly-customizable templates for the card back side, the place for report form, mailing address, awards, rigs and other personal details. While I have no business arrangements with QSL printers, I can recommend a couple with whom my clients have had good results.

Read my eHam reviews (http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/11218).

For a look at my portfolio and more about how I work, drop by my web page (http://www.dashtoons.com/K1NSS_Design.html).

Here's a few of my designs:

N7YA
09-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Jeff, your cards rock! I really dig 'em. :yes:

Jeff K1NSS
09-30-2013, 05:32 AM
Jeff, your cards rock! I really dig 'em. :yes:

Thanks much OM! They're largely my clients' as much as my own, lotta bouncing ideas back and forth. The Texas ham for example, wanted a western radio scene and gave me a vintage QSL as a starting point. When I learned that Mitch had a ranch and a horse, I came up with a quick sketch and asked if he could pose with his horse and radio for a photo. Mitch gamely did so and working from the snapshot, I drew it watercolor sketch style in Photoshop, inspired by the illustrated letters of a long time favorite of mine, Western artist Charles M. Russell. The font on the card is very similar to that of Russell's classic letterhead. Tying the antenna to the saddle horn occurred to me, one of those bits of serendipity that bubble up in the process. What's neat is that Mitch's horse Peppy is a real old pal, combined with his newer pal, his trusty KX-3, so his card is a fun keepsake of their times together.

K6CPO
10-01-2013, 01:08 PM
I looked at your website. That's some good stuff...

Jeff K1NSS
10-02-2013, 09:17 PM
I looked at your website. That's some good stuff...

Thanks for stopping by!

Jeff K1NSS
10-07-2013, 10:05 PM
New Ones.

N7YA
10-07-2013, 10:41 PM
I just saw these on your website...nice work.

NA4BH
10-07-2013, 10:48 PM
David (HAO) has the ultimate cool card. Very impressed. As Adam said, damn nice work.

K7SGJ
10-08-2013, 12:17 AM
David (HAO) has the ultimate cool card. Very impressed. As Adam said, damn nice work.

Maybe he can do one for you with a Minnesota Gnu on it, that is chasing an Argo horse, that I rode in on. I know it probably beasts you, but.......................

Jeff K1NSS
10-08-2013, 02:56 AM
Tnx for your kind words fellas! Up late tonite with a new one, Willys Jeep, Colorado Rockies and Columbines, retro travel poster look for a CO OM who enjoys offroading. Great going thru old Willys Overland ads, some beautiful jeep art.

NA4BH
10-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Maybe he can do one for you with a Minnesota Gnu on it, that is chasing an Argo horse, that I rode in on. I know it probably beasts you, but.......................

I liked it better when I was up there.

K7SGJ
10-08-2013, 09:43 PM
ARGO

NA4BH
10-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Yugo

NQ6U
10-08-2013, 11:28 PM
ARGO

https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/winter99-00/pg07.gif/image.gif

N7YA
10-09-2013, 06:36 AM
We all go!

NA4BH
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Finally a team player.

Let's quit crapping in Jeff's QSL thread.

Jeff K1NSS
10-10-2013, 05:18 PM
Newest One!

NA4BH
10-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Ultra cool.

It's missing an Army guy throwing a grenade from the passengers side. LOL

NA4BH
10-24-2013, 11:36 PM
OK, here is the new card Jeff designed for me

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/10469502356_ca8d2c7002_c.jpg

What can I say other than perfect. If you held this up next to me, you'd have a hard time figuring out which one is the picture and which one was me. And, I do rock, I'm doing it right now.

Jeff K1NSS
10-25-2013, 01:54 AM
Poi-fect!, if I do say so myself!

Since your rock-steady purple monkey I've completed a design for W7UUU and am currently working on another fellow Misfit's card. Nice to be busy.

W3WN
10-25-2013, 07:06 AM
Yeah, I gave you a little plug in your advert thread, ah, elsewhere. Hope it helps.

Jeff K1NSS
10-25-2013, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I gave you a little plug in your advert thread, ah, elsewhere. Hope it helps.

Tnx 4 da boost!

K7SGJ
10-25-2013, 01:37 PM
OK, here is the new card Jeff designed for me

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3772/10469502356_ca8d2c7002_c.jpg

What can I say other than perfect. If you held this up next to me, you'd have a hard time figuring out which one is the picture and which one was me. And, I do rock, I'm doing it right now.

Shoulda had him work in 9,999 lakes.

NA4BH
10-25-2013, 01:43 PM
He didn't have a horse

K7SGJ
10-25-2013, 01:52 PM
He didn't have a horse

Don't try to SADDLE me with that excuse. I don't believe it one BIT. And I'll probably WITHER away waiting for one that is believable. Shirley you can PONY up something better.

N7YA
10-25-2013, 04:30 PM
Until things become more stable, i say nay.

WØTKX
10-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Stay tuned, Jeff is finishing my design. ;)

K7SGJ
10-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Until things become more stable, i say nay.

You always were a maverick.

NQ6U
10-26-2013, 06:38 PM
You always were a maverick.

Do you really believe you have him cowed? Sounds like a bum steer to me.

N7YA
10-27-2013, 08:23 AM
Not to be a whinny bitch, but i have night mares about shoes being nailed to my feet.

K7SGJ
10-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Not to be a whinny bitch, but i have night mares about shoes being nailed to my feet.

I had that dream, but not furlong.

WØTKX
10-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Not quite finalized, but ain't this GRAND? :agree:

K7SGJ
10-27-2013, 11:38 AM

That's an awesome design.

W3WN
10-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Not to be a whinny bitch, but i have night mares about shoes being nailed to my feet.You're the half brother of Lizbeth Salander? Who knew?

NA4BH
10-28-2013, 06:15 PM

Ultra cool !!!!

I think the cards that Jeff designed will cause pile-ups with people wanting them.

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
Ultra cool !!!!

I think the cards that Jeff designed will cause pile-ups with people wanting them.

Why not just have one more contest, the K1NSS Dash QSL Designer Contest? What the hell, one more contest won't make any difference. And if you don't have a QSL designed by him, you can't play. Actually, if you don't have a QSL designed by him, you 'aint shit, anyway. But that's another story.

Jeff K1NSS
10-28-2013, 08:12 PM
Tnx fer the kind words fellers, would sure be cool if people start to collect 'em, trade 'em. Got an inquiry from another Texan today, we'll see what comes of that. Jackalope in headphones?

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 08:39 PM
Tnx fer the kind words fellers, would sure be cool if people start to collect 'em, trade 'em. Got an inquiry from another Texan today, we'll see what comes of that. Jackalope in headphones?

Wouldn't it be tuff to getem over the rack?

Jeff K1NSS
10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Wouldn't it be tuff to getem over the rack?

Tilt the headbands back and slide em on below the rack, which BTW grow big enuff to string up a 10 meter curtain!

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Tilt the headbands back and slide em on below the rack, which BTW grow big enuff to string up a 10 meter curtain!

I had a dog like that. Coulda strung a 40m dipole between his ears.

NA4BH
10-28-2013, 10:07 PM

There you go, retroactively go back and number your designs "In a series". Place on all new designs "#1 in a series, #2 in a series, and so on. The early numbers will become the collectables. Let those that already have them, you are number X in the series.

K7SGJ
10-28-2013, 10:40 PM
There you go, retroactively go back and number your designs "In a series". Place on all new designs "#1 in a series, #2 in a series, and so on. The early numbers will become the collectables. Let those that already have them, you are number X in the series.

You've always been an "x" in my book, and not Malcolm, either.

NA4BH
10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Leave Malcolm 10 out of this.

Jeff K1NSS
10-29-2013, 11:21 AM

Ya got me thinking, Bob. I do something like that with the "limited license" series of cards that use Dash!Art. The licenses, except for that of K2ORS are limited to 100 and are numbered so on the card.Those remain "my" designs because of the licensing scheme, but the custom designs you buyers commissioned you own lock stock and pixel, so I keep my cotton pickin' marketing schemes directly off your cards. But if I numbered the custom designs in my online portfolio, it would give each some sort of informal public designation. Their appearance in the portfolio and promotional stuff is by client permission only. I respect clients' privacy, so it's possible I could do a design that wasn't listed and hence not numbered, but so far everybody has granted permission for me to show them and advertise with them.

K7SGJ
10-29-2013, 11:28 AM
Ya got me thinking, Bob. I do something like that with the "limited license" series of cards that use Dash!Art. The licenses, except for that of K2ORS are limited to 100 and are numbered so on the card.Those remain "my" designs because of the licensing scheme, but the custom designs you buyers commissioned you own lock stock and pixel, so I keep my cotton pickin' marketing schemes directly off your cards. But if I numbered the custom designs in my online portfolio, it would give each some sort of informal public designation. Their appearance in the portfolio and promotional stuff is by client permission only. I respect clients' privacy, so it's possible I could do a design that wasn't listed and hence not numbered, but so far everybody has granted permission for me to show them and advertise with them.

Bob? Our Bob? He gave you permission to use his design for FREE? Jesus, Minnesota really damaged his brain. Not much of a task, really.

Jeff K1NSS
10-30-2013, 06:49 PM
Bob? Our Bob? He gave you permission to use his design for FREE? Jesus, Minnesota really damaged his brain. Not much of a task, really.

As ever, the Love around here is so thick you could cut it with a fart.

K7SGJ
10-30-2013, 07:27 PM
As ever, the Love around here is so thick you could cut it with a fart.

Bob and I are like the twins we never had. Had we actually had been, I'm sure Mom would have gunny sacked both of us in the canal anyway.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 08:56 PM
Bob and I are like the twins we never had. Had we actually had been, I'm sure Mom would have gunny sacked both of us in the canal anyway.

You got that right, I begged her to do it to you. The day Eddie and I meet, will be the signal for the four horsemen of the Acapulco-ips to crank up the steeds and start kickin' ass. Just sayin'. Me and Eddie is cool. Even though he's a desert rat bastid

K7SGJ
10-30-2013, 09:44 PM
You got that right, I begged her to do it to you. The day Eddie and I meet, will be the signal for the four horsemen of the Acapulco-ips to crank up the steeds and start kickin' ass. Just sayin'. Me and Eddie is cool. Even though he's a desert rat bastid

God help the universe.

NA4BH
10-30-2013, 09:46 PM
GOD save the Queen.

NQ6U
10-31-2013, 09:42 AM
I liked it better when both of you were in Minnesota.

W3WN
10-31-2013, 01:59 PM
Ya got me thinking, Bob. I do something like that with the "limited license" series of cards that use Dash!Art. The licenses, except for that of K2ORS are limited to 100 and are numbered so on the card.Those remain "my" designs because of the licensing scheme, but the custom designs you buyers commissioned you own lock stock and pixel, so I keep my cotton pickin' marketing schemes directly off your cards. But if I numbered the custom designs in my online portfolio, it would give each some sort of informal public designation. Their appearance in the portfolio and promotional stuff is by client permission only. I respect clients' privacy, so it's possible I could do a design that wasn't listed and hence not numbered, but so far everybody has granted permission for me to show them and advertise with them.Well, you could do a set of cards as an 'annual' series. So if I don't want a specific custom design, but like your artwork, I could pick one of the 'Series 2013' cards.

You could always 'retire' certain card series after a certain point in time. That is to say, if I order Card #7 from Series 2013, someone in 2015 can't do the same. (Can I get a reprint? That's up to you), but they CAN order from Series 2015. Or, popular styles remain indefinitely, but less popular ones can be retired and replaced with something else. (Who determines? You do, based on orders)

N8YX
11-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Some great artwork there, Jeff. I'm in need of new cards...but how does one mix ham radio, electronics in general, bicycling, motorcycling and all the other stuff I'm into on a card? For that matter, which two or three of those hobbies to choose from?

And if you craft something good, what's the minimum run your printer will do? I probably ought to get 500+ of whatever I end up selecting.

K7SGJ
11-04-2013, 09:39 PM
Some great artwork there, Jeff. I'm in need of new cards...but how does one mix ham radio, electronics in general, bicycling, motorcycling and all the other stuff I'm into on a card? For that matter, which two or three of those hobbies to choose from?

And if you craft something good, what's the minimum run your printer will do? I probably ought to get 500+ of whatever I end up selecting.

So, the motorcycle has a bike rack attached to the side car, is towing the work bench with HP and Pace on it, a small footprint HF rig with auto tuner on the handlebars, a 102" whip on the fender, and your honey on the back.

Jeff K1NSS
11-05-2013, 12:08 AM

TNX OM, last Q first. Printing is up to the client. I can recommend a couple of printers, but I'm affiliated with none. I design QSL printer-ready digital art, emailed to you as a file, for the front side of your card, including your call, handle and simple QTH. You own the design and all rights to reproduce it. Most printers offer a variety of highly customizable formats for the back, where in addition to the report form, you can include address info, rigs, awards, affiliations, and other personal details in a wide variety of fonts. I charge a flat $25 start-up fee to work up a sketch/design proposal, including reasonable back and forth. Once we settle on a design and you give the go-ahead, it's $25 an hour to finish the job, usually three or four hours, so ballpark total about $100-125.

No worries if you have nothing specific in mind. Always glad to talk over ideas, your interests, etc. Strictly from a graphical impact perspective, especially when you consider a QSL's 3.5 x 5.5 inch frame, it's better concentrate on one idea, one image, something that represents what moves you most, radio context or not, rather than compress everything into that small space. On the other hand, while one can get all artsy-fartsy about it, QSLs also have a long tradition of relaxed cartoony humor. That's generally my style, but I try to make it pretty as well.

Sounds like you're most into cycling, so something emphasizing two-wheel mobility. What comes to mind is handlebars full width of the card, your operating perspective. Not sure if cool QRP rigs are actually mounted on handlebars, but perhaps more from a cartoon angle, a vintage boatanchor transceiver bolted in the middle. That's an example of ONE thing that humorously suggests what you're into, versus trying to depict the totality of it.

Drop me a PM and we can kick some ideas around if you like.

Jeff K1NSS
11-05-2013, 12:12 AM
So, the motorcycle has a bike rack attached to the side car, is towing the work bench with HP and Pace on it, a small footprint HF rig with auto tuner on the handlebars, a 102" whip on the fender, and your honey on the back.

And WAYYY in the back you got money in a sack, two hands on the bars and your shoulders straight back, do-do-do-do-do-do-do….

Probably can't tell I love Roger Miller. Best ever, Chug-a-Lug!

NQ6U
11-05-2013, 10:57 AM
And WAYYY in the back you got money in a sack, two hands on the bars and your shoulders straight back, do-do-do-do-do-do-do….

Probably can't tell I love Roger Miller. Best ever, Chug-a-Lug!

"And you had to do wack-a-doo wack-a-doo wack-a-doo."

Miller was a freakin' genius. Too bad he died so young.

K7SGJ
11-05-2013, 12:08 PM
"And you had to do wack-a-doo wack-a-doo wack-a-doo."

Miller was a freakin' genius. Too bad he died so young.

And his little brother Glen was good, too.

NA4BH
11-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Don't forget about their beer.

WØTKX
11-05-2013, 04:42 PM
And don't rollerskate in a buffalo herd...

WX7P
11-05-2013, 05:58 PM
and make sure you know every engineer on every train. AND all of the children and all of their names.

K7SGJ
11-05-2013, 06:09 PM
every handout in every town, and every lock that 'aint locked when no one's around.

NQ6U
11-05-2013, 08:00 PM
First time for everything.
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr my ears still ring.

WX7P
11-05-2013, 08:34 PM
every handout in every town, and every lock that 'aint locked when no one's around.

two hours of pushing broom, buys a...8x12 4 bit room...

NQ6U
11-05-2013, 08:35 PM
See what you started, Jeff?

I smoke old stogies I have found
Short, but not too big around.

K7SGJ
11-05-2013, 09:11 PM
I'm a man of means by no means

WX7P
11-05-2013, 10:13 PM
no phone, no rules, no rent.

I ain't got no cigarettes.

Jeff K1NSS
11-05-2013, 10:26 PM
Introducing Remotely Ham Radio for the rest of us, using any old mouse, for absolutely free.

Where else but www.dashtoons.com? (http://www.dashtoons.com)10940

N7YA
11-06-2013, 08:16 AM
no phone, no rules, no rent.

I ain't got no cigarettes.

As long as you can still Chug-a-lug Chug-a-lug...makes ye wanna holler hidey ho!

Jeff K1NSS
11-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Newest One. (http://www.dashtoons.com/K1NSS_Design.html)

K7SGJ
11-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Very nice job.

Jeff K1NSS
11-07-2013, 06:04 PM
TU DR! A Cessna 182Q, I learned. Also in the process, learned that an aircraft's paint scheme is called "livery." Loved aviation comics as a kid, including Smilin' Jack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Adventures_of_Smilin'_Jack), and of course Milt Caniff' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milton_Caniff)s Steve Canyon and Terry & The Pirates.

Not many realize that Milt Caniff tirelessly lobbied for better working conditions for cartoonists, directly resulting in today's generous Federal subsidies, such that all of us can today rely on a safety net of cool knick-knacks and pretty ladies who climb up on office furniture for our drawing convenience. Here we see Caniff hard at work taking the measure of model Carol Ohmart for his character Copper Calhoun.

W3WN
11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Newest One. (http://www.dashtoons.com/K1NSS_Design.html)

10941I like that one!

If you don't mind, I'm going to forward it to K3AIR. (He's retired USAF & is involved in CAP operations as well)

On Edit: Well Jeff, I hope you didn't mind. I did, Mike likes it, and he may be in touch with you.

Jeff K1NSS
11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I like that one!

If you don't mind, I'm going to forward it to K3AIR. (He's retired USAF & is involved in CAP operations as well)

On Edit: Well Jeff, I hope you didn't mind. I did, Mike likes it, and he may be in touch with you.

Any card I post is fair game for forwarding. I get prior permission from clients to use the designs for promo purposes. A beautiful thing, tnx Slugger!

Jeff K1NSS
11-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Tnx Dave! More at http://www.dashtoons.com/K1NSS_Design.html

K7SGJ
11-15-2013, 08:00 PM
Tnx Dave! More at http://www.dashtoons.com/K1NSS_Design.html

Excellent design. We know how he loves to schuss, or whatever it is one does on the snow. Besides freeze their nuts off.

NQ6U
11-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Very nice, but I prefer cards that look like they were designed by learning-challenged chimpanzees.

K7SGJ
11-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Very nice, but I prefer cards that look like they were designed by learning-challenged chimpanzees.

I think I can help you with that.

NQ6U
11-15-2013, 08:06 PM
I think I can help you with that.

Hell, I don't need any help with that. All I have to do is look at my own card.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/QSLCard-1.png

K7SGJ
11-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Hell, I don't need help with that. All I have to do is look at my own card.

Well, yeah. You could do that, too.

WØTKX
11-16-2013, 11:56 AM
You're welcome Jeff. Thanks for your patience with the picky body positions and stuff, and stuff. That card ROCKS!

To "schuss" is to go straight without turning. Those of us that turn a LOT keep quite warm with all the exercise.

But hey... thanks for your concern about my nuts. Ya KNOBS! :lol:

Jeff K1NSS
11-16-2013, 09:14 PM
:lol:

:muhahaha: