PDA

View Full Version : HS1800dx motorized antenna questions

W5BRM
09-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Hi guys, I am looking for some answers from owners of the High Sierra HS1800DX motorized antenna. I have one that has been sitting in storage for a number of years. I pulled it out of storage and it's in poor condition. I have to rebuild it and I can find what I need from the manufacturers website...except actual list of parts for my antenna.

I see on the website there is a maintenance kit and other parts. The issue I am actually concerned about is if the antenna needs the Spring, Delrin spring collar and collar fitting. The antenna has been in storage and unused for so long, I cant remember if this particular antenna needs that collar fitting assembly. I dont recall seeing it on my antenna when I had it running but my memory isnt the best. I dont know if the collar assembly is missing on mine or if it was ever there in the 1st place.

This is for the HS1800DX model, not the pro or 1500 or any versions that require the blackjack motor.

If anyone has an operational one, is there any way I get some pics of the assembly and find out if there is the collar assembly and where it would be installed? Google searching is failing me. I can find pics of all the other types but there doesnt appear to be many online resources for this type of antenna

Thanks

Brian - N2NKW/AE

K7SGJ
09-21-2013, 12:51 PM
If no one has any actual experience or photos, can you call the manufacturer? I'm just taking a guess here, but if the spring is just for protecting the antenna from damage from low hanging fruit, all it would do is add a little length to the antenna. I use an ATAS 120, and the radio tells the antenna where it needs to be for the best match. So, if I were to put a spring at the base, the radio should still tune the antenna to the right height. It doesn't know the spring is present, all it knows is that he antenna is too long and needs to be shortened, and issues that command to the motor. Then again, I could be full of shit, too.

W5BRM
09-21-2013, 01:16 PM
I contacted Jim W6LG. I got a reply from him this morning after I posted this msg. He owns Heath Tech. He was the manufacturer of the antenna. He no longer makes them but he was willing to answer a few questions.

It appears my antenna IS missing the spring and collar assembly along with the delrin insert ring. The spring is the contact spring to make the antenna resonant as the center conductor goes up and down. It goes at the top of the metal pipe under the plastic shielding - see the picture. thats the only image I could find online in ALL THE INTERNET that showed what I need...lol

I purchased the metal collar housing and the plastic Delrin fitting insert along with a motor this morning. Next wk or the week after I will be purchasing the maintenance kit which has the outer plastic shield, metal spring and contact cleaner.

Once I have those, then all I need to do is clean the brass parts up, install the ring, delrin and collar, replace the motor and I will be good to go. I have 50ft of foam centered RG213 coming from Universal Radio.

Got my Weller solder gun from Amazon this morning in the mail. After all that, All I need to get is a tripod and some 1.5od mast, some wire for radials for 40/30/20/17/10 and I'll be on the air. Oh and I need to purchase a new mic for the 706. My original mic has been misplaced. Its in the house somewhere but I got too much shit to go through to find it...

K7SGJ
09-21-2013, 01:27 PM
I contacted Jim W6LG. I got a reply from him this morning after I posted this msg. He owns Heath Tech. He was the manufacturer of the antenna. He no longer makes them but he was willing to answer a few questions.

It appears my antenna IS missing the spring and collar assembly along with the delrin insert ring.

I purchased the metal collar housing and the plastic Delrin fitting insert along with a motor this morning. Next wk or the week after I will be purchasing the maintenance kit which has the outer plastic shield, metal spring and contact cleaner.

Once I have those, then all I need to do is clean the brass parts up, install the ring, delrin and collar, replace the motor and I will be good to go. I have 50ft of foam centered RG213 coming from Universal Radio.

Got my Weller solder gun from Amazon this morning in the mail. After all that, All I need to get is a tripod and some 1.5od mast, some wire for radials for 40/30/20/17/10 and I'll be on the air. Oh and I need to purchase a new mic for the 706. My original mic has been misplaced. Its in the house somewhere but I got too much shit to go through to find it...

Yeah, our house gets like that, too. I find it's easier to just move and start over.