PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Error Message

KJ4FEL
09-17-2013, 02:10 PM
First off... I know nothing about Linux; however, yesterday I was able to install Linux Mint 15 on an old Dell netbook and it's working really well for accessing the Internet.

Today I figured out how to install Chirp and it will run but when I try and download from my HT which is connected by a USB cable to the netbook I get the following error message...

I did a search on the error message but haven't been able to figure out what I need to do to correct the issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited to add....

It would appear that the computer/Linux sees the USB Cable based on this...

stephen@stephen-Inspiron-1011 ~ $ dmesg | grep FTDI
[ 965.901651] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
[ 966.301585] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[ 966.301920] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[ 966.306882] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

WX7P
09-17-2013, 05:57 PM
First of all, I nothing about Linux or very much about computers.

I have used Chirp to program my Baofengs. I found that I had to change the com port setting on Chirp from Com3 to Com4 or Com7 to Com8, depending on which Baofeng I was programming.

The error message I got was different than the one you posted, but similar. I am using Win 7.

ad4mg
09-17-2013, 06:10 PM
First off... I know nothing about Linux; however, yesterday I was able to install Linux Mint 15 on an old Dell netbook and it's working really well for accessing the Internet.

Today I figured out how to install Chirp and it will run but when I try and download from my HT which is connected by a USB cable to the netbook I get the following error message...

I did a search on the error message but haven't been able to figure out what I need to do to correct the issue.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Edited to add....

It would appear that the computer/Linux sees the USB Cable based on this...

stephen@stephen-Inspiron-1011 ~ $ dmesg | grep FTDI
[ 965.901651] usb 2-1: Manufacturer: FTDI
[ 966.301585] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for FTDI USB Serial Device
[ 966.301920] ftdi_sio 2-1:1.0: FTDI USB Serial Device converter detected
[ 966.306882] usb 2-1: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

Try running the command to start the program as 'super user'. In a terminal, type 'gksu chirp' or 'su chirp'. Starting it as super user may give you the needed access to the USB port.

BTW - gksu is usually used to run programs with a GUI as super user. I'm also assuming the name of the executable is 'chirp'... substitute the correct program name if it isn't.

N2CHX
09-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Try running the command to start the program as 'super user'. In a terminal, type 'gksu chirp' or 'su chirp'. Starting it as super user may give you the needed access to the USB port.

BTW - gksu is usually used to run programs with a GUI as super user. I'm also assuming the name of the executable is 'chirp'... substitute the correct program name if it isn't.

Yup, that should fix it. sudo chirp should also work just fine on Linux Mint.

n2ize
09-17-2013, 07:53 PM

No No No !! Never run user space programs as root !!!!!!!!! Set the appropriate permissions for the devices/files that the specific application requires. If you are running seLinux set appropriate rules, etc. NHever simply run an app as root. If need be set up a specific user or group with the required permissions. Never give an app full root access.

KJ4FEL
09-17-2013, 08:02 PM
DING DING DING.... We have a winner :)

Thank You Kelli... sudo chirpw worked perfectly!

Thank you Luke...although for some reason Mint 15 must not recognize "su" or "super user" because when I tried that in Terminal I kept getting "No passwd entry for user "chirp".

Thank you Janet...I have no trouble with Chirp on my Windows machine and you are correct about the com ports changing and needing to make sure you have the correct one. That's what I couldn't figure out in Linux.

I really appreciate the help!!! Now to find a good book on learning Linux :)

Saw John's post after I wrote the reply so I wanted to add that what he said is all Greek (or Linux) to me and I have no idea what that means but I will do my best to learn.

Thanks Everyone!
Steve

n6hcm
09-18-2013, 03:26 AM
No No No !! Never run user space programs as root !!!!!!!!! Set the appropriate permissions for the devices/files that the specific application requires. If you are running seLinux set appropriate rules, etc. NHever simply run an app as root. If need be set up a specific user or group with the required permissions. Never give an app full root access.

and now for the English-language summary: "su" and "sudo" elevate privileges so the program you're using can access pretty much whatever they want. If you know a program inside and out then this is an ok thing to do. Since most people don't have this knowledge, it's a bad thing.

what you should do instead:

sudo chown yourUserName /dev/ttyUSB0

where yourUserName is your Linux login name.

This will change the ownership ("chown") of the USB device (/dev/ttyUSB0) to you. The chown program comes with Linux and is safe to use with sudo.

Once this is done you should be able to run chirp regularly without sudo.

KC2UGV
09-18-2013, 07:17 AM
and now for the English-language summary: "su" and "sudo" elevate privileges so the program you're using can access pretty much whatever they want. If you know a program inside and out then this is an ok thing to do. Since most people don't have this knowledge, it's a bad thing.

what you should do instead:

sudo chown yourUserName /dev/ttyUSB0

where yourUserName is your Linux login name.

This will change the ownership ("chown") of the USB device (/dev/ttyUSB0) to you. The chown program comes with Linux and is safe to use with sudo.

Once this is done you should be able to run chirp regularly without sudo.

You can just add your user account to the proper group, instead of chowning the serial port to a particular user:

sudo useradd -G tty {This is generally the serial group in Debian} {login name}

So, in this case:
sudo userad -G tty stephen

You shouldn't have to sudo the gui command, or change the perms on your serial devices.

KC2UGV
09-18-2013, 07:19 AM

I would hazard this is generally good advice, however, there are many userspace programs that need to be ran with sudo (Or, super user perms) in order to function properly. Soundmodem is a perfect example. It's a userspace tool to manage the AX25 stack. Synchronet BBS needs to as well, to use ports under 1024.

n6hcm
09-19-2013, 03:12 AM
You can just add your user account to the proper group, instead of chowning the serial port to a particular user ...

this is better than what i proposed (i haven't had to deal with serial devices in ... a very long time).

n2ize
09-19-2013, 05:19 PM
I would hazard this is generally good advice, however, there are many userspace programs that need to be ran with sudo (Or, super user perms) in order to function properly. Soundmodem is a perfect example. It's a userspace tool to manage the AX25 stack. Synchronet BBS needs to as well, to use ports under 1024.

I haven't done this in a long time but shouldn't such programs at least be run in a chroot jail ? That way it see's the / directory tree it is looking for (within the jail) but cannot access or afflict the actual / directory tree. Maybe I'm paranoid but I get very scared to give any app direct access to my actual directory tree.

KC2UGV
09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
I haven't done this in a long time but shouldn't such programs at least be run in a chroot jail ? That way it see's the / directory tree it is looking for (within the jail) but cannot access or afflict the actual / directory tree. Maybe I'm paranoid but I get very scared to give any app direct access to my actual directory tree.

Kinda hard to use a tool that configures your system in a chroot jail... In fact, I cannot fathom how the following could be set up in such a fashion:
system-config-tui
soundmodemconfig
soundmodem
ax25d
mheardd
et al

Sometimes, the purpose of a user space tool is to act on your system. But, there's an implicit trust if the package is in a repo.

n2ize
09-19-2013, 10:24 PM
Kinda hard to use a tool that configures your system in a chroot jail... In fact, I cannot fathom how the following could be set up in such a fashion:
system-config-tui
soundmodemconfig
soundmodem
ax25d
mheardd
et al

Sometimes, the purpose of a user space tool is to act on your system. But, there's an implicit trust if the package is in a repo.

There is always manual configuration. As far as apps go it is generally understood what resources they need to run them in a chroot jail with limited access to specific devices. Or to run them as a regular user without root permissions. OIn the case above I was referring to the specific instance of running a user space app as root. That should be a very very very last resort. I am not saying all apps can work this way but running a user space program as root should be avoided if at all possible. If at all possible put it into a chroot jail and/or run it as something other than root and limit it's permissions to only the specific resources required. That is what love about *nix type systems, they were designed from the ground up with that kind of security in mind.