PDA

View Full Version : Testing for Extra 9/20/13

W5BRM
09-14-2013, 12:43 PM
If I pass, Should I get the next sequential Extra call for 5 land? Should be something like AF5MJ or around that area... I think the newest release is AF5MI according to AE7Q.com. Should I just keep my N2 call? The wife likes it N2NKW but I kinda want something that says EXTRA!!

I've was originally issued this call in May or June of '91. It was my Tech+ call. My original call was KB2NBV for several days until the FCC processed my Tech+. I had passed Nov and T+ in the same testing session. I was issued KD4QPK due to a mistake on my app when I performed a change of address update via mail while living in Florida. I HATED that call! That was before the vanity callsigns were available. Once Vanity system got the OK, I got my call back in 2000 as a vanity call.

One thing I gotta do if I DO get a new call is remove my N2 call from all my gear...lol Got security etchings all over my stuff... for that "just in case" scenario...lol

What do you guys think I should do?

W4GPL
09-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Keep it.

NY4Q
09-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Keep it.

+1

PA5COR
09-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I had to change mine due to change from Novice to Full but then i could chose my own call.
Never looked back, but if you want to keep yout current one, do so, we all look up our stations anyway ;)

WX7P
09-14-2013, 03:06 PM
Change it.

Districts, you know!

K7SGJ
09-14-2013, 05:40 PM
When you pass, go have a beer and buy a dog.

Keep your old call. Nobody cares these days anyway, plus you don't have to engrave a new call on all your stuff. As far as letting others know that your an extra goes, just tell them, or let them ask. And, districts don't matter like they once did. I have the same call I was issued when I started out. I don't really care if anyone knows what class I hold. If they want to know, they can look it up. Besides, I've never been known to have much class, anyway. Bottom line is, do what's is most comfortably for you. Just remember, If you do take a sequential call instead of a vanity, you'll save enough money for an ice cream cone or something.

W5BRM
09-14-2013, 07:01 PM
OK thanks for the input. Its not really a HUGE deal, just trying to make up my mind is all. I kno the zone number doesnt really mean much anymore like it used to. I know there arent any 1x2 or 2x1 calls I would try to get. Guess i may as well stick with this.

KG4NEL
09-14-2013, 07:24 PM
All the cool people are 2x3s, anyway.

:neener:

Nah, I'd leave it.

K7SGJ
09-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Bah.....................If you aint a 1x3, you aint shit.

KG4NEL
09-14-2013, 09:50 PM
I think if I changed mine, it'd be to a 1x3 or 2x2 - I'd like the letters to have some kind of meaning for me, and that's harder to do with a four-letter call.

It'd also have to have been never assigned previously, which is a tall order for those.

KG4CGC
09-14-2013, 11:04 PM
Is BR549 taken?
Good luck with the test.
Studying or using the cliffs?

I memorized all 1500 questions. Took about 3 weeks.

W5BRM
09-15-2013, 07:14 AM
Is BR549 taken?
Good luck with the test.

I memorized all 1500 questions. Took about 3 weeks.

Studying actually. Listening to Gordon West Extra audiobook course while im working (driving 8-10h a day). Been practicing using hamstudy.org and EHAM test sites. Im doing a lot of memorization. Im finding im running about 80-88% scoring over the last 2 weeks. Just cant seem to remember the math formulas. Thats keeping my avg down. Frustating! Dont know when u took the exam but the 2012-16 question pool is 704 questions now.

suddenseer
09-15-2013, 02:51 PM
Is BR549 taken?
Good luck with the test.

I memorized all 1500 questions. Took about 3 weeks.That is f%$king awesome. I admire people that have your ability. I have been working on my memory skills, and have been using the imagery, and audio methods to burn the data in to my hard drive. I do not know how one would convert the question/answer pool into images. I was not born with brains, or money. I am stuck with the curse of good looks! :snicker::lol::rofl:

suddenseer
09-15-2013, 05:17 PM
Studying actually. Listening to Gordon West Extra audiobook course while im working (driving 8-10h a day). Been practicing using hamstudy.org and EHAM test sites. Im doing a lot of memorization. Im finding im running about 80-88% scoring over the last 2 weeks. Just cant seem to remember the math formulas. Thats keeping my avg down. Frustating! Dont know when u took the exam but the 2012-16 question pool is 704 questions now.

When I took the exams, the Advanced class was the most difficult IMHO. The exam had 75 questions. The Extra class exam was a breeze compared to Advanced class. The 20 wpm code element was what most people struggled with. The closest VE team to me used the 'fill in the blank' test method. If memory serves me, I remember missing one question because I could not read my own writing. :snicker: When the FCC eliminated the Novice, and Advanced classes, they combined the Advanced, and Extra elements into more difficult Extra class exam. You folks that have passed the exams by memory, or by listening to lectures have earned my respect. :bowdown: That is something that I cannot do.

I think the vanity callsign program began in 1996. The first gate was for someone retrieving their earlier call, or a family member requesting the expired call of a SK, or inactive ham. The second gate was for Extra class hams. If I remember correctly, I think the FCC had to hire temps to help in the massive data entry effort. I think they reported issues with the computer program that randomly picked the applicants for the daily callsign lottery. I was one of the many hams that did not get the first choice from their preference list. I will admit to being vain because almost all of the choices on the preference list were my initials. W8TB was my first choice, N8TB the second, K8TB the third, and so on. I did pick a few calls out of district 8. The last choice was WB8YUD, my old call sign. My sequential Advanced callsign was cool on SSB. I used "King George 8 Hot Tamales" for phonetics. :snicker:

There is nothing wrong having an Extra callsign, in my book. There are plethora of folks that don't like my book. It sounds like you are ready to take the exam. Go for it. You will do well.

KG4CGC
09-15-2013, 07:07 PM
That is f%$king awesome. I admire people that have your ability. I have been working on my memory skills, and have been using the imagery, and audio methods to burn the data in to my hard drive. I do not know how one would convert the question/answer pool into images. I was not born with brains, or money. I am stuck with the curse of good looks! :snicker::lol::rofl:

Took the exam at Shelby in 2010. The examiners tried to throw in a few curves. Mixed the correct answers with a different multiple choice answer/letters. I think that's against the VEC rules but I recognized that it was off because I didn't just look at the letter but the answer too.
If I was a really good memorizer it wouldn't have taken me 3 weeks. I am convinced that with enough time and money, I could fake my way through a degree without cheating.

W5BRM
09-15-2013, 08:09 PM
Most of the answers i hv memorised using word association. A lot of the rest are stuff i already know. I dont memorize the abcd positions or even pay attention to that. That is one weakness of hamstudy.org and their flashcard system. They dont jumble or shuffle the answers.

W5BRM
09-19-2013, 04:14 PM
Tomorrow is the day. Scheduled 0930 at another local ham's shack. Been trying to get my radio up and running but no dice. Waiting on parts, coax and other stuff.

Also decided to keep my current call. Dont wanna spend the energy breaking force of habit...lol

PA5COR
09-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Good luck with the exam ;)

KG4NEL
09-19-2013, 04:53 PM
Hope to hear you on the Extra subbands!

Please...

They're really lonely...

:yum:

K6CPO
09-19-2013, 06:09 PM
Took the exam at Shelby in 2010. The examiners tried to throw in a few curves. Mixed the correct answers with a different multiple choice answer/letters. I think that's against the VEC rules but I recognized that it was off because I didn't just look at the letter but the answer too.

It's perfectly permissible to mix the answers around. They don't have to be in the order as they are published in the question pool.

KG4CGC
09-19-2013, 06:17 PM
It's perfectly permissible to mix the answers around. They don't have to be in the order as they are published in the question pool.

Do you have a citation for that because in years past I remember reading (actual print media) about clubs getting in trouble for this practice.

NQ6U
09-19-2013, 06:19 PM
The VEC here always scrambles up the answers, he even bought a software program to do so. I know the guy personally and he's of the highest caliber—if he wasn't supposed to do it, he wouldn't.

KG4CGC
09-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Or maybe he's just an angry right winger? Kidding.
I never took a jumbled up test until Extra.

NQ6U
09-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Or maybe he's just an angry right winger? Kidding.
I never took a jumbled up test until Extra.

Nope. He's a gay liberal, in fact.

KG4CGC
09-20-2013, 12:38 AM
Nope. He's a gay liberal, in fact.

Unpossible.
He's a CLOSET Republican. Kidding.
LOL.

W5BRM
09-20-2013, 09:47 AM
My test was pushed back to this afternoon! Was supposed to be done at 0930 this morning but the testers had last minute scheduling issues.... Getting anxious....lol

KG4CGC
09-20-2013, 12:46 PM
My test was pushed back to this afternoon! Was supposed to be done at 0930 this morning but the testers had last minute scheduling issues.... Getting anxious....lol

Good luck!

W5BRM
09-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Passed 95%

de N2NKW/AE

PA5COR
09-20-2013, 05:37 PM
Congrats!!

KG4CGC
09-20-2013, 06:44 PM
DID YOU WIN?

KG4NEL
09-20-2013, 07:14 PM
:like:

WX7P
09-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Cool.

Now you can be condescending to all the (haaarump) lower classes. And, be a pompous jerk on 75 meters!

Oh, the Humanity!

KA9MOT
09-20-2013, 08:03 PM
Excellent! :rock:

K7SGJ
09-20-2013, 08:16 PM
Congrats OM. We told you could do it. You got off easy since there is no snow yet, that you would have had to walk uphill in, both ways.

W5BRM
09-20-2013, 08:36 PM
Thanks for the congrats from everyone!

The VEC here always scrambles up the answers, he even bought a software program to do so. I know the guy personally and he's of the highest caliber—if he wasn't supposed to do it, he wouldn't.

My VEC session used W5YI software. Didnt even need a pencil. It was all computerized. The answers werent scrambled or anything from the EHAM test and Hamstudy test pages.

Also realised that my Extra was passed 12 years to the day I got my General in 2001.

suddenseer
09-21-2013, 12:15 PM
I'd say, "congratulations", but your Extra is meaningless unless you walked barefoot in 8 feet of snow uphill carrying your elmers to a FCC exam. The only out you may receive would be that your first qso was using cw with a spark gap xmitter. Did I mention, "congratulations"? Enjoy.

K7SGJ
09-21-2013, 12:43 PM
I'd say, "congratulations", but your Extra is meaningless unless you walked barefoot in 8 feet of snow uphill carrying your elmers to a FCC exam. The only out you may receive would be that your first qso was using cw with a spark gap xmitter. Did I mention, "congratulations"? Enjoy.

Reminds me of an old Carl and Jerry episode in Popular Electronics in the 60s. They were in a car wreck in the middle of no where, and ended up using the 12 volt system in the car to spark a QRR or SOS to summon help. Some guy, who just happen to know code, was able to copy the flashes of interference on his TV or something to get a location to send help. Oh, Mr. Frye, how I miss your stories of how ham radio REALLY saved the day. No vests or twinkie lights required.

kb2vxa
09-21-2013, 04:27 PM
"I'd say, "congratulations", but your Extra is meaningless unless you walked barefoot in 8 feet of snow uphill carrying your elmers to a FCC exam."
TOO EASY! It has to be an FCC field office with an examiner pacing up and down the rows, no calculators, no multiple choice and you had to draw schematics and above all your elmers had to weigh at least 300lbs EACH and wait outside, NO CHEATING!

Aw heck, CONGRATULATIONS!

"The only out you may receive would be that your first qso was using cw with a spark gap xmitter."
Except for one thing, CW didn't come along until DeForest came up with the Audion, spark gap transmitters produced DW.

Oh yeah............. Carl & Jerry scraping a wire over serrations cut into the dashboard paint taking the place of a key and interrupter they wouldn't have needed with a Model T, dang newfangled Kettering ignition making things complicated. Don't forget the wire stripped from here and there for an antenna and their (usual) dumb luck having a farmer down the road a piece who recognized Morse code in all the crud TV interference and didn't shut the set off in disgust.
"Oh, Mr. Frye, how I miss your stories of how ham radio REALLY saved the day."
Not always, one episode featured a metal detector based on the new at the time MRI made from a plastic bottle wrapped with wire and filled with water. It never was very clear how they developed a field of 1-3 Teslas or how they read all those wobbling electrons when the field collapsed. Interesting how you brought those two up, they remind me of my high school nerd days with fellow nerd Bob Gollihur. I'm Carl the blonde haired one with glasses, he's Jerry and together we cooked up schemes only nerds can cook up for entertainment.

W7XF
09-21-2013, 11:39 PM
congrats dude!!!

K7SGJ
09-21-2013, 11:46 PM
"I'd say, "congratulations", but your Extra is meaningless unless you walked barefoot in 8 feet of snow uphill carrying your elmers to a FCC exam."
TOO EASY! It has to be an FCC field office with an examiner pacing up and down the rows, no calculators, no multiple choice and you had to draw schematics and above all your elmers had to weigh at least 300lbs EACH and wait outside, NO CHEATING!

Aw heck, CONGRATULATIONS!

"The only out you may receive would be that your first qso was using cw with a spark gap xmitter."
Except for one thing, CW didn't come along until DeForest came up with the Audion, spark gap transmitters produced DW.

Oh yeah............. Carl & Jerry scraping a wire over serrations cut into the dashboard paint taking the place of a key and interrupter they wouldn't have needed with a Model T, dang newfangled Kettering ignition making things complicated. Don't forget the wire stripped from here and there for an antenna and their (usual) dumb luck having a farmer down the road a piece who recognized Morse code in all the crud TV interference and didn't shut the set off in disgust.
"Oh, Mr. Frye, how I miss your stories of how ham radio REALLY saved the day."
Not always, one episode featured a metal detector based on the new at the time MRI made from a plastic bottle wrapped with wire and filled with water. It never was very clear how they developed a field of 1-3 Teslas or how they read all those wobbling electrons when the field collapsed. Interesting how you brought those two up, they remind me of my high school nerd days with fellow nerd Bob Gollihur. I'm Carl the blonde haired one with glasses, he's Jerry and together we cooked up schemes only nerds can cook up for entertainment.

Yup, that's them. I didn't tthink anyone would remember them, much less that episode, OT.

suddenseer
09-22-2013, 07:46 AM
Yup, that's them. I didn't tthink anyone would remember them, much less that episode, OT.Not all of us are desiccated old fossils yet. I wll admit that the drying process has begun. I have a strong urge to chase kids off my lawn, and do 75M phone. :cool2:

K7SGJ
09-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Not all of us are desiccated old fossils yet. I wll admit that the drying process has begun. I have a strong urge to chase kids off my lawn, and do 75M phone. :cool2:

They are certainly some of the early warning signs. I would start chasing the little bastids now, while you can still move around. The time will come when you will have to rely on a sling shot or a junk yard dog.

suddenseer
09-22-2013, 10:18 AM
They are certainly some of the early warning signs. I would start chasing the little bastids now, while you can still move around. The time will come when you will have to rely on a sling shot or a junk yard dog.Wowsers, with all of the hope for the future you have just instilled in me, I am considering drinking again. I will never quit the weed. :cool2:

kb2vxa
09-22-2013, 11:16 AM
Aw heck, I subscribed to PS, PM & PE faithfully and became addicted to PE's experimenter's projects and of course reading Bob and I in print as Carl & Jerry. Eh, just don't drink or smoke and expect to have good aim with a slingshot, and a junk yard dog requires expensive maintenance. I on the other hand rather lucked out, with all the electrons I have absorbed over the years I have a high enough charge to qualify as a cation and can discharge at will, sort of a living Tesla coil... Lightning is afraid of ME and so are the kids. After a few zaps they got the message REAL quick!

K7SGJ
09-22-2013, 12:50 PM
All I can say is shocking, just shocking.

N8OBM
09-25-2013, 12:16 PM
All I can say is shocking, just shocking.
Oh, I don't know. I kinda got a jolt out of it.

Archie N8OBM

N8OBM
09-25-2013, 03:47 PM
If I pass, Should I get the next sequential Extra call for 5 land? Should be something like AF5MJ or around that area... I think the newest release is AF5MI according to AE7Q.com. Should I just keep my N2 call? The wife likes it N2NKW but I kinda want something that says EXTRA!!

I've was originally issued this call in May or June of '91. It was my Tech+ call. My original call was KB2NBV for several days until the FCC processed my Tech+. I had passed Nov and T+ in the same testing session. I was issued KD4QPK due to a mistake on my app when I performed a change of address update via mail while living in Florida. I HATED that call! That was before the vanity callsigns were available. Once Vanity system got the OK, I got my call back in 2000 as a vanity call.

One thing I gotta do if I DO get a new call is remove my N2 call from all my gear...lol Got security etchings all over my stuff... for that "just in case" scenario...lol

What do you guys think I should do?

Hmmm. Deja Vu all over again. I first passed tech in march of 91 while waiting for my daughter to be born. We were apartment dwellers at that time so I mostly played with VHF gear back then. Fast forward about 18 years later and after buying our second house it dawned on me that I had room for big antennas so I should get around to upgrading. A couple months later there was a local testing session. I was planning of going for general which I did pass no problem. I didn't think I was ready for the extra exam but, the VE talked me into trying. Nothing to lose as it were. To my amazement I did pretty well and passed. I walking in a tech and walked out an Extra. I did keep my old call. It was just too tied in to the time and place my daughter was born for me to want to part with it. In this day and age, many contacts look up your info before they even answer you. I've never felt the need to have an Extra call.

Just my two cents

Archie N8OBM

W5BRM
10-01-2013, 10:29 AM
That was a great reflection Archie. Thanks for sharing.

I think it will be a while til my upgrade is processed with the govt shutdown. I forgot to check with my VEC about a new call. I didnt look that close at the 605 form when i signed off. was my bad...

If i get a new call and i dont like it, i should b able to reapply for this call as i am the original holder as i understand things. I hope thats how it works amyway...loI

K6CPO
10-01-2013, 12:39 PM
Good luck on the extra exam. If I can pass it, anyone can. :-D

I kept my call because it was a vanity I obtained after passing the General exam.

W5BRM
10-01-2013, 01:03 PM
Good luck on the extra exam. If I can pass it, anyone can. :-D

Actually i already passed it. Thanks for the thought though.

Now waiting to see how long til the FCC processes the upgrade...lol. I saw the notice that FCC will be basically shuttered for the duration. Oh well

K6CPO
10-01-2013, 01:20 PM
Actually i already passed it. Thanks for the thought though.

Now waiting to see how long til the FCC processes the upgrade...lol. I saw the notice that FCC will be basically shuttered for the duration. Oh well

Oh. Well, congratulations!

Don't forget that if the upgrade doesn't show right away, you can still operate as an Extra by appending /AE to your call when you ID.