PDA

View Full Version : What would you pick?

W3WN
09-13-2013, 07:44 AM
This is a serious question... even though I know how things veer through tangents around here.

Given: A budget of about $1500 to purchase 2 or 3 main hamfest prizes.

What would you buy?

The catch? Well, simply put, the prizes have to be attractive to other hams, attractive enough to encourage them to buy (or buy more) main prize tickets. Not neccesarily what YOU would want to buy with that money (or win yourself)

[For example, that may rule out the Ten Tec 506 Rebel -- it's going to be an interesting little radio, and I certainly want one, but as a main hamfest prize? At best, maybe #3]

In the past, the main prize has been an FT-897, or TS-480SAT, or similar rig, or an Ameritron amp. Second prize was often a V/UHF dual band mobile rig. Third prize might be something like an MFJ (or similar) antenna analyzer. We've also tried an HDTV as 2nd or 3rd prize (popular, but now several other clubs are offering that, so it no longer stands out), and once we tried straight cash prizes (most hams told us that they'd rather win a rig, even if they sold it... they were less likely to buy tickets for cash prizes).

This came up at last night's club meeting. Suggestions were asked for... and it made me curious about what type(s) of rig someone would want to win.

What do you think?

WX7P
09-13-2013, 07:48 AM
I think a good prize would be something you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself due to cost, but would be fun to have.

Like a Yaesu ft-8900 quad bander or a VX-8DR.

HF rigs are cool, but doesn't just about everyone have one?

I like the antenna analyzer as a 3rd place prize.

wa6mhz
09-13-2013, 08:07 AM
A good friend (and Carl knows him well too) just won a (OMG!!!) Yaesu FT-857D at a local hamfest! WOW! Would I love to have scored that! Prizes really rack in the tickets.
Probably the biggest prize drawing in the country is NOT Dayton, but the Visalia DX Convention. They have a budget of around $50,000!!!! So they give away SEVERAL of the high end radios, towers and such. Plus lotsa little ones.

I would put a good portion of the prize booty into smaller prizes, which gives the everyday ham a shot at bringing SOMETHING home from the hamfest. But the main drawing should be a nice HF radio. One thing that might work is to find a dealer who still has the Yaesu FT-950 on closeout, which might make it real cheap for a prize, yet is a SERIOUSLY NICE Radio!!! A garden variety dualband plus some HTs are a good 2nd and 3rd prize. Also score some of the Baofeng HTs that go for around $40, as they don't hurt the budget yet give a nice prize for someone to take home.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 08:28 AM
You didn't answer the question Pat.

But... you also aren't aware of our prizes at WASHFest. We already have (assuming we buy 1 - 3) the 4th & 5th prizes. We usually have two "black box" drawings. 50/50, of course. And starting at 9 AM, we give away a grab-bag of misc. stuff every half hour (at least 2 every drawing, total of about 15 - 20).

For a little hamfest of approx. 400 - 450 attendance, I think that's pretty good. But Visalia, we're not.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 08:47 AM
I think a good prize would be something you wouldn't necessarily buy for yourself due to cost, but would be fun to have.

Like a Yaesu ft-8900 quad bander or a VX-8DR.

HF rigs are cool, but doesn't just about everyone have one?

I like the antenna analyzer as a 3rd place prize.Quite a few hams around here don't have HF. There is a very large contingent of 2 M & 70 cm FM only ops.

That aside... we've done a dual band rig, or a D-Star rig, as one of the main prizes in the past. (Sometimes a 45 - 50 W rig as 1st, a 25 W rig as 2nd). So I wouldn't rule that out.

A couple of years ago, another club had as a main prize the Flex QRP rig (1500? I forget the model number offhand). No, I didn't win it... because I was a nice guy. I let a husband & wife from my club buy their tickets ahead of me, he won. (And sold the rig a month later, untouched, but that's another story. At least I used that TS-480SAT I won for a year before trading it)

Hopefully, you can all see what I'm driving at. I know what I'd pick as prizes... but that doesn't mean my tastes in gear are the same as the general ham populace. The whole idea is to pick prizes that will sell a lot of main prize tickets, thus generating shekels. And while we're not hurting... we still have a nice balance in the bank... we just spent 3 years of hamfest profits on the repeater move & related upgrades, and we have more to do.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 08:56 AM
There is always an '85 Yugo. I'll bet no other club ever offered one.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 08:59 AM
There is always an '85 Yugo. I'll bet no other club ever offered one.Good. I'll pencil you in for 100 tickets on that one. That'll be $100 please.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 09:06 AM
Good. I'll pencil you in for 100 tickets on that one. That'll be $100 please.

When Maxwell flys.

KB3LAZ
09-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Quite a few hams around here don't have HF. There is a very large contingent of 2 M & 70 cm FM only ops.

That aside... we've done a dual band rig, or a D-Star rig, as one of the main prizes in the past. (Sometimes a 45 - 50 W rig as 1st, a 25 W rig as 2nd). So I wouldn't rule that out.

A couple of years ago, another club had as a main prize the Flex QRP rig (1500? I forget the model number offhand). No, I didn't win it... because I was a nice guy. I let a husband & wife from my club buy their tickets ahead of me, he won. (And sold the rig a month later, untouched, but that's another story. At least I used that TS-480SAT I won for a year before trading it)

Hopefully, you can all see what I'm driving at. I know what I'd pick as prizes... but that doesn't mean my tastes in gear are the same as the general ham populace. The whole idea is to pick prizes that will sell a lot of main prize tickets, thus generating shekels. And while we're not hurting... we still have a nice balance in the bank... we just spent 3 years of hamfest profits on the repeater move & related upgrades, and we have more to do.

Yep, my area is in the same boat. HF rigs sell the tickets. The suggested 8900 is not a bad prize but 10m FM in my area would be of little use. It would appeal to a lot of people that could not use FM on that band. Also, the general population in my area would have little use for it as well. 6m in this area isnt much better when talking FM for either simplex or repeater use.

If your area is anything like mine, I would rule out rigs geared to specific bands, particularly 10m, 6m, or 220. That makes it HF and or dual band rigs. The problem there is that even the low end HF radios would eat up a large part of your budget.

Something like the TS-480SAT is appealing to many. It is a decent size for either mobile or desktop use. Also, it offers a built in tuner. Finally, it leaves you some cash to pick out a nice dual band mobile such as the FT-8800.

I would not buy either of these radios but they do seem to be popular. My gradfather won a 480 a breeze shooters a few years back. He likes it. It is in his truck at the moment.

I do like the analyzer idea that Janet pointed out as well. A few nice dual band mobiles may sell tickets as well. I know a lot of people that stray away from buying tickets when an HT is in the top 3. I know for many people they really are an after thought item unless they live in a metro area with a lot of repeaters.

Edit: That aside, an item that I would like to see on a top prize list is the TS-590. Not in the budget, I know. Actaully I would like to see TT, Elecraft, or flex on a prize list at a hamfest at least once but I never have. Then again, it is not often that I make it to a large hamfest.

WØTKX
09-13-2013, 09:11 AM
If the high numbers of VHF/UHF only ops are due to the fact that they are Techs, perhaps an HF receiver would be cool?

While it's not a directly "tangible" item, large dollar gift certificates to HRO, AES, GigaParts, etc.?

Maybe a West Mountain PowerGate plus the batteries to setup emergency power?

KB3LAZ
09-13-2013, 09:14 AM
If the high numbers of VHF/UHF only ops are due to the fact that they are Techs, perhaps an HF receiver would be cool?

While it's not a directly "tangible" item, large dollar gift certificates to HRO, AES, GigaParts, etc.?

Maybe a West Mountain PowerGate plus the batteries to setup emergency power?

That is a good point. I would not snub my nose at wining a receiver. Not that it is that great but I would be happy to win an R-75.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 09:55 AM
Small $ amount gift certificates are often donated by retailers, and are usually part of the grab bags. Also coupons or certificates good for a free piece of software.

WorldRadio used to send us gift certificates good for a free year's subscription, as well.

Good ideas, but as one of the main prizes? I've gotten the feeling that most hams, at least around here, want to win something tangible. Cash or a gift certificate may have the same intrinsic value, but it's not the same when you're trying to sell tickets.

And... personally, I wouldn't at all mind a TS-480SAT as a main prize. I've never been a big fan of Yaesu gear, and I did like the one I had... just not as my primary rig.

KC2UGV
09-13-2013, 10:03 AM
How much are tickets?

If they are modestly priced, then perhaps about $200 spent on Rasperry Pi's, or Arduino Unos. This will create "more winners", and help to entice more ticket sales. And then an 817ND, and an 8800 as the two "large" prizes.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
How much are tickets?

If they are modestly priced, then perhaps about $200 spent on Rasperry Pi's, or Arduino Unos. This will create "more winners", and help to entice more ticket sales. And then an 817ND, and an 8800 as the two "large" prizes.We use what are locally referred to as "Breezeshooter's Prices", based on the long standing formula that the Breezeshooters have used for decades at their hamfest:

$2 each
3/$5
7/$10
15/$20
45/$50
100/$100

Again, I have to think of our target audience. Rasberry Pi's or Arduino Unos would make a good Computer Black Box prize (limited number of tickets, $5 each, and when they're all sold, the winning ticket is drawn. We usually sell 50 per Black Box, and the 'mystery' prize costs us roughly 1/2 that), or a 4th or 5th prize... but first 3?

KK4AMI
09-13-2013, 10:15 AM
In my very humble opinion people are likely to want, but not normally buy
a. Portable/Mobile Transceiver like the Yaesu line
b. Maybe a restored boat anchor (Receiver or Transceiver)
c. Antenna Analyser

suddenseer
09-13-2013, 10:22 AM
The Ameritron amp, and antena analyzer would attract me. I have never won a first prize, but have won 2nd, 3rd before. I now pay attention to those prize levels. Maybe a decent mobile tuner, and screwdriver antenna system would be a nice prize. It sounds like your club is on the right track. I wish that I lived closer.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Well... if the club were permitted by law (USPS regulations regarding lotteries), I would gladly arrange for the club to sell you tickets via the mail. However, even though there may be technical ways to get around that (like sending everything via a courier, or via FedEx or UPS), the club lawyer has strongly advised against it.

Now, if (once we set the prizes) someone really wants tickets, talk to me privately, in a few months. After all, there are other ways to, um, deliver things.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Well... if the club were permitted by law (USPS regulations regarding lotteries), I would gladly arrange for the club to sell you tickets via the mail. However, even though there may be technical ways to get around that (like sending everything via a courier, or via FedEx or UPS), the club lawyer has strongly advised against it.

Now, if (once we set the prizes) someone really wants tickets, talk to me privately, in a few months. After all, there are other ways to, um, deliver things.

Like, in the backseat of a '85 Yugo?

KG4NEL
09-13-2013, 11:58 AM
This is the data geek in me talking, but do you have any data on the makeup of your hamfest attendees? Even a breakdown by license class?

W3WN
09-13-2013, 12:46 PM
Like, in the backseat of a '85 Yugo?What is the source of your obsession with that alleged automobile?

There's a small, now closed, garage on Library Road (State Route 88) about 2 miles from me. (The owner, sadly, is suffering from Alzheimers. Used to be a neighbor of mine, when we were at the old QTH). There is or was a Yugo parked in the lot outside the building. I'm sure that the family will, if it's still there (there's now a camper parked in front of where it was), be more than willing to exchange it for a small stack of green pieces of rag-based currency parchment with printing on them.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 12:47 PM
This is the data geek in me talking, but do you have any data on the makeup of your hamfest attendees? Even a breakdown by license class?I don't, but I know that the ticket stubs from last year are still in the hamfest chair's hands. It wouldn't be at all difficult to match up calls with license class, once we download the FCC database or equivalent.

KB3LAZ
09-13-2013, 02:22 PM
I only ever buy one ticket, no matter the hamfest, lol. I do this because it is what my grandfather does and that man wins a main prize at least once a year at one fest or another. It has yet to work for me, though...Mind you, my grandfather goes up and down the east coast going to hamfests without a second though over the distance. Then again, he is in his 70´s, a widower, and has little else to do unless it is July.

If I had his luck, I would have quite a collection of radios.

wa6mhz
09-13-2013, 02:47 PM
Some people are very LUCKY at prize drawings!
on the other hand, I could have 99 out of 100 tickets in the barrel and STILL not have mine drawn!

K0RGR
09-13-2013, 03:19 PM
You might look beyond the 'big boys' and try to stretch your dollars a bit. The new mobiles from Wouxun look interesting. And this could be your low end HF offering: http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=302&category_id=65 How about a Flex 1500 for less than twice that price? Maybe one of the multicolored IC7200's for $1K at the high end. You might still find an FT-950 somewhere, too - and the flashier appearance might draw more flies.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 04:18 PM
You might look beyond the 'big boys' and try to stretch your dollars a bit. The new mobiles from Wouxun look interesting. And this could be your low end HF offering: http://www.wouxun.us/item.php?item_id=302&category_id=65 How about a Flex 1500 for less than twice that price? Maybe one of the multicolored IC7200's for $1K at the high end. You might still find an FT-950 somewhere, too - and the flashier appearance might draw more flies.

That's an interesting little HF rig. I haven't seen one prior to your link. I guess I need to get out of my rats nest a little more often.

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 04:26 PM
Why not think out of the ham box and go with a TV, you might have non hammys get a ticket or ten.

Or even a vintage Yugo.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 04:41 PM
Why not think out of the ham box and go with a TV, you might have non hammys get a ticket or ten.

Or even a vintage Yugo.

Well, there yugo.

NQ6U
09-13-2013, 09:10 PM
What is the source of your obsession with that alleged automobile?

There's a small, now closed, garage on Library Road (State Route 88) about 2 miles from me. (The owner, sadly, is suffering from Alzheimers. Used to be a neighbor of mine, when we were at the old QTH). There is or was a Yugo parked in the lot outside the building. I'm sure that the family will, if it's still there (there's now a camper parked in front of where it was), be more than willing to exchange it for a small stack of green pieces of rag-based currency parchment with printing on them.

More like they'd have to give me "a small stack of green pieces of rag-based currency parchment with printing on them" to take the Yugo off their hands.

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 09:11 PM
More like they'd have to give me "a small stack of green pieces of rag-based currency parchment with printing on them" to take the Yugo off their hands.

Hatters gonna hat.

NQ6U
09-13-2013, 09:13 PM
That's an interesting little HF rig. I haven't seen one prior to your link. I guess I need to get out of my rats nest a little more often.

Yeah, and that's exactly the kind of thing you want to offer in a raffle if you want to entice me to buy tickets—something I'd never buy for myself but would certainly be willing to drop five bucks on for a chance to win.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah, and that's exactly the kind of thing you want to offer in a raffle if you want to entice me to buy tickets—something I'd never buy for myself but would certainly be willing to drop five bucks on for a chance to win.

Well, yeah. 5 bucks a ticket to win the radio is good, but another idea would be a night on the town with a 21 year old blonde nymphomaniac with big boobs. Just sayin........................

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Well, yeah. 5 bucks a ticket to win the radio is good, but another idea would be a night on the town with a 21 year old blonde nymphomaniac with big boobs. Just sayin........................

5 bucks? Just like downtown.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 10:44 PM
5 bucks? Just like downtown.

Nah, downtown you get change, and a little something extra to take home.

W3WN
09-13-2013, 11:05 PM

Or even a vintage Yugo.We've already done an HDTV, as 2nd prize, 2 years running. Since a lot of other clubs are now doing the same, we're looking to mix things up.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 11:07 PM
We've already done an HDTV, as 2nd prize, 2 years running. Since a lot of other clubs are now doing the same, we're looking to mix things up.

How about a thousand dollar Radio Shack gift certificate. Bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

W3WN
09-13-2013, 11:10 PM
Actually, we've done the Wouxun's or equivalent as one of the Black Box prizes. Reaction to that has been, at best, mixed. We're shooting for more of the "aha!" or "great!" as opposed to "oh."

The 2 Rivers club did the Flex 1500 year before last. General reaction from most was more "ho hum" or "oh" as opposed to "I've really wanted that!"

Again, as mentioned before, it's just the very top tier we're looking into. Our hamfest chair already has the bulk of the 2nd tier and smaller prizes, not just selected, but in hand. We don't want to saturate the prizes to the point that if you walk in, you're almost certainly assured of getting something... that's silly. The idea is to find a top prize or three that makes someone go "I've GOT to go to that hamfest and buy a couple of tickets!" (Or even one, like Trav does)

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 11:13 PM
What about a 1 year SIRIUS satellite radio voucher? Something different. A lot of $50 gift certificates to restaurants?

A bunch of smaller prizes and one big (being the last prize). Nobody remembers the prize, only that they won. Winning is everything.

K7SGJ
09-13-2013, 11:16 PM
What about a 1 year SIRIUS satellite radio voucher? Something different. A lot of $50 gift certificates to restaurants?

A bunch of smaller prizes and one big (being the last prize). Nobody remembers the prize, only that they won. Winning is everything.

And I was always taught that winning isn't everything, it's how you play the game, and to have fun. I never won anything either, and it sucked elephant dicks for a nickel a herd.

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Damn, you could have got a dime anywhere else.

NA4BH
09-13-2013, 11:33 PM
Ron, trying to help you out.

What about some SW radios for monitoring? Most everyone that buys a ticket will already be set on their TX equipment (change is hard).

KG4CGC
09-14-2013, 12:13 AM
Maybe I misunderstood. Is $1500 the whole budget?

W3WN
09-14-2013, 01:16 PM

* sigh *

Well, it was worth a shot. I guess I'm not going to get a straight answer from anyone.

W3WN
09-14-2013, 01:18 PM
Maybe I misunderstood. Is $1500 the whole budget?$1500, give or take, is the budget for the main prizes. This year, since we've already had someone donate what will be the #3 & #4 prizes, it can be spent on the first two items.

That is not the whole budget for prizes or for the hamfest.

KG4CGC
09-14-2013, 01:39 PM
Guys into wackerism want VHF/UHF radios/HTs.
Older guys are into HF. Older guys with control issues are into 2m.
What are your demographics?

K7SGJ
09-14-2013, 05:42 PM
By now I'd be so fed up, I'd just cancel the fest, take the money, and move to Argentina.

TESLA
09-14-2013, 06:44 PM
Factory assembled KX3

http://www.elecraft.com/elecraft_prod_list.htm#kx3

$995

You could add a few options if you want

KG4CGC
09-14-2013, 06:45 PM
Just get a 2m mobile.
An HT dual bander.
An Hf rig and call it done.

KG4NEL
09-14-2013, 07:28 PM
By now I'd be so fed up, I'd just cancel the fest, take the money, and move to Argentina.

Where tomorrow it'd be worth five bucks.

Guys into wackerism want VHF/UHF radios/HTs.
Older guys are into HF. Older guys with control issues are into 2m.
What are your demographics?

This is kind of what I was trying to get a sense of...I know around here, there are a lot of people not set on their transmitting stuff. Heck, I'm not! :D

If you find your attendees are ham-station-on-a-belt guys for the most part, a "Get on HF" kit like what Ten-Tec puts together might be cool. Little HF rig, spool of coax, dipole parts. Plus a plug for the nearest ham club if you need help tuning it, getting it in the trees, paying us more dues, wink wink, nudge nudge.

KC2UGV
09-14-2013, 08:19 PM
* sigh *

Well, it was worth a shot. I guess I'm not going to get a straight answer from anyone.

I thought I had offered a pretty rational suggestion. A number of Pi's (Or arduinos) for 3 place (Ability for 10 people to win one), and then top two were the radios I named.

I suppose I misunderstand the demographics or something...

K7SGJ
09-14-2013, 09:49 PM
The '85 Yugo is looking better, huh?

KG4NEL
09-14-2013, 10:07 PM

K7SGJ
09-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Well, there yugo.

NA4BH
09-15-2013, 02:43 AM
* sigh *

I guess we don't get it.

Go with the

http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2010/04/yugo_gv2.jpg

W3WN
09-15-2013, 10:28 AM
Did it ever occur to anyone that the Yugo looks like the bastard offspring of an unnatural union between a Pinto and a Chevette?
------------------
Ok, let's put this in perspective... and no more car analogies, that one's speeding down a dead end. If it hasn't already done so, it will go flat...

If you look at this link: http://w3csl.org/marcfest/marcfest%20flyer.pdf you'll get an idea of what most local clubs do for a small hamfest on our scale. (If anyone notices a similarity between the MARC flyer and the one that we've used for WASHFest the last, oh, 15 years or so, it's not a coincidence. We consider, in this case, imitation to be the sincerest form of flattery... but I digress... )

I'm not too thrilled with us offering an FT-857D simply because other groups have done the same this year. We prefer to set the trends, not follow them. Personally, I'd go back to a TS-480SAT, even if it doesn't quite have the same V/UHF coverage... I think it's a better radio overall.

So, standard offering is a small HF or HF/VHF rig, a dual band V/UHF rig, and an HT or antenna analyzer or something like that. There are smaller hamfests, and they often use a dual bander as the main prize.

While I wouldn't rule out something unusual... a D-Star rig (there's only one D-Star repeater in the area at present, although I think a 2nd one may be coming online soon), a QRP rig like the Flex-1500 or even a KX-3... most of our attendees, like most hams, tend to skew older. And we've had less than positive feedback about computer-related offerings. So a Raspberry Pi or Arduino system as a Main (ie Top 3) prize, IMHO, would fall flat. I'm not ruling something like that out as ONE of the prizes, just not as one of the Top 3.

Now with that in mind, some of the members of the HackPittsburgh group are hams, and a lot of those guys came to WASHFest last year -- and left with positive thoughts. We're working on establishing better ties with that group (which is going somewhat well, I think, but that's another story). It's not lost on me that a Raspberry Pi or Arduino prize(s) would definitely appeal to these guys... but, again, not as the main prize, at least not this year.

It's a fine line to walk. We'd like to be different, and ahead of the pack... but no so far ahead that people aren't interested in the prize(s) as being too esoteric. Yet we don't want to offer exactly what everyone is doing...

KB3LAZ
09-15-2013, 10:56 AM
Did it ever occur to anyone that the Yugo looks like the bastard offspring of an unnatural union between a Pinto and a Chevette?
------------------
Ok, let's put this in perspective... and no more car analogies, that one's speeding down a dead end. If it hasn't already done so, it will go flat...

If you look at this link: http://w3csl.org/marcfest/marcfest%20flyer.pdf you'll get an idea of what most local clubs do for a small hamfest on our scale. (If anyone notices a similarity between the MARC flyer and the one that we've used for WASHFest the last, oh, 15 years or so, it's not a coincidence. We consider, in this case, imitation to be the sincerest form of flattery... but I digress... )

I'm not too thrilled with us offering an FT-857D simply because other groups have done the same this year. We prefer to set the trends, not follow them. Personally, I'd go back to a TS-480SAT, even if it doesn't quite have the same V/UHF coverage... I think it's a better radio overall.

So, standard offering is a small HF or HF/VHF rig, a dual band V/UHF rig, and an HT or antenna analyzer or something like that. There are smaller hamfests, and they often use a dual bander as the main prize.

While I wouldn't rule out something unusual... a D-Star rig (there's only one D-Star repeater in the area at present, although I think a 2nd one may be coming online soon), a QRP rig like the Flex-1500 or even a KX-3... most of our attendees, like most hams, tend to skew older. And we've had less than positive feedback about computer-related offerings. So a Raspberry Pi or Arduino system as a Main (ie Top 3) prize, IMHO, would fall flat. I'm not ruling something like that out as ONE of the prizes, just not as one of the Top 3.

Now with that in mind, some of the members of the HackPittsburgh group are hams, and a lot of those guys came to WASHFest last year -- and left with positive thoughts. We're working on establishing better ties with that group (which is going somewhat well, I think, but that's another story). It's not lost on me that a Raspberry Pi or Arduino prize(s) would definitely appeal to these guys... but, again, not as the main prize, at least not this year.

It's a fine line to walk. We'd like to be different, and ahead of the pack... but no so far ahead that people aren't interested in the prize(s) as being too esoteric. Yet we don't want to offer exactly what everyone is doing...

If your budget were a bit larger it would be easier to comprise a list, but it isnt. Such is why I suggested the TS-480. I think that something like the TS-590 would be a better choice. However, as I said, that would eat your budget rather quick.

I know yow would like to have different offerings than other places. TT and Elecraft would be a good way to do this. However, as mentioned that is not an easy task as these companies do not have a "cheap" offering at the moment. At least not one that will appeal to the general populous in said area. A shame, really.

If you want HF for the top prize then I think either the TS-480SAT or the FT-450D would be the most logical choice in your price range. Of the jackknife radios the only one that fits the bill is the FT-857D and as you said it is quite over played.

You do have other options but I think they will be less appealing. IC-7200, IC-718, FT-897D, Alinco DX-SR9T or DX-SR8T. Of those I think the 7200 or the 897 would be the better of the crop. The SR9T is over priced and the SR8T is not much of a radio. The 718 is quite basic and getting up there in age so it is quite behind the curve. The only good thing about the SR8T is that you could buy two.

K7SGJ
09-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Okay, I'll give you a break, drop the Yugo, and get serious for a moment. However, please note that it is really out of character for me.

Food for thought. For example, you state that the 857D as a prize idea has been copied from your group, as have other drawing ideas. Bottom line, you want to be trendsetters, which is okay. But two things come to my mind concerning your dilemma. The first is you are having a very difficult time trying to find something to fit your requirements. With the budget and all the other requirements you've posted, a "perfect fit" seems to be somewhat elusive. The other thing that occurs to me is what is most important here, being a trend setter with a prize that is off the wall, which doesn't seem to be possible so far, or selling a lot of tickets. If putting up a certain kind of 1st prize has been successful for you in the past, why take a chance on something " way different", that will end up producing less revenue? Look at your past drawings, and see what was most productive for the club. If it was an HF rig, stay with it. I know a lot of people really like the TS 590S. Although a bit over the budget, see if one of the bigger dealers will work with you for a better price, or talk to Kenwood direct. Or whatever rig turns your crank. If you sold more tickets with a VHF/UHF all mode, go with something like that. If the SDR was hit, see what you can afford on one of those. You don't have to duplicate the same model of prize you've used in the past, but something along the same line should be successful. If the flat screen TV was a winner, they have bigger, better, more featured, and more cost effective ones now days. If you have found something that works for you, stick with it, and just try to make it a little better each year. I would think that revenue should be your main concern, and trying to outdo everyone else should be of less importance. Do the best you can, with what you have.

But then again, I could be full of shit, too.

W3WN
09-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Just got back a short time ago from the club picnic. Some of us did a little brainstorming during the festivities.

We went over a lot of possible rigs to use. And how to best spend the budget.

Right now, an HDTV is not under consideration. Yes, there are bigger & better ones now that there were a year ago. But, the consensus is that that prize has hit the "ho hum" factor.

An Ameritron Amp is still a possibility. But again, we got copied by a few other groups on that, since we last did it, so while it's not hit the "ho hum" point yet, it's close to it.

The Alincos and the Chinese-made radios were talked about. For a long variety of reasons not worth going into, at the moment, they're not under consideration. (Although we're looking at some inexpensive Chinese HT's for one of the Black Boxes)

We did come up with an idea. I can't say yet which radio, as the usual price on it is just a touch over our budget, but if we can find a way to get it for a little less... we think it will be enough of a "wow!" factor to convince people to buy more tickets.
----------
I did learn something interesting today. I mentioned a few posts back about "Breezeshooters" pricing for hamfest tickets. Most hamfests in the area have adopted that pricing. I heard about one club, though, that didn't do that last year... just flat $5 per-prize-ticket prices. They're prize ticket sales were WAY down. Seems that most people in these parts have gotten used to things, ie, the more you spend, the more tickets you have (and, theoretically, the better your odds are). Take that advantage away, and people are less likely to spend more money.

So the guys who were used to spending $20 to get 15 tickets, when learning that they were only getting 4 tickets, either only spent $10 or $20... or didn't buy any... and many are saying that they felt "ripped off" and aren't even going to buy tickets at that 'fest this year.

n2ize
09-15-2013, 06:57 PM
I would love a nice R-390A or KW-1.

W3WN
09-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I would love a nice R-390A or KW-1.So would I.

KG4CGC
09-15-2013, 08:51 PM
Which now begs the question: Have the members of your club considered used prizes?

W3WN
09-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Which now begs the question: Have the members of your club considered used prizes?
Considered? Yes.

Suffice to say that the general consensus is that it won't go over well.

KB3LAZ
09-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Considered? Yes.

Collins Gold dust twins. I normally only buy one ticket but....:P

KG4CGC
09-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Considered? Yes.

Just blame Obama. Just like everybody else.

KB3LAZ
09-16-2013, 04:39 PM
I though, concerning the hobby, that everyone used the ARRL as their scapegoat.

KG4CGC
09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
I though, concerning the hobby, that everyone used the ARRL as their scapegoat.

Well I suppose that's true but I haven't heard the ARRL get blame for anything since 2008. I heard worse about Obama on the air than I read in CL.

Never the less ... A vintage TT would make a great prize.

W3WN
09-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Funny you should mention that (TT, that is)

The thought we came up with at the picnic was spending the allocation on one rig for the first prize (using the two "in hand" items as #2 & #3, as opposed to 3 & 4). The rig of choice? Ten-Tec Eagle. Only the list on it is more than a little above our budget.

W3WH spoke to Stan at TT earlier today. Stan was, I understand, quite in favor of this... but the cost, as suspected, will be the stickler. He offered a "demo" rig at a reduced price; while I'm not at liberty to say how much, suffice to say it was more than a few dollars above our limit. So I don't think we can work that out... dagnabit.

And even if we do manage to swing it... will people be willing to buy tickets on what is, technically, a used radio?

As far as a vintage rig or rigs go... I just don't know. A LOT depends on the rig(s) picked, and the condition they're in. Refurbished? By whom? What about mods -- documented? official? What about a warranty?

Now, if we could swing a "Collins Gold Dust Twins" setup... I'd certainly buy tickets, but danged if I know where I'd put them. Personally, I do have an affinity to the big iron, and the 75A-4 & KWS-1 are amongst the all-time classic setups. I just don't know how that would go over with the general ham population.

If we had a bigger attendance (and bigger hall, of course), or a summer/early fall event that would let us anticipate a larger crowd, I'd LOVE to do something like this. Almost make it a separate set of raffle tickets. I just don't believe our current attendance would justify the expenditure.

...now, if some of our relatively local Island residents would leave the bar and actually COME to the hamfest, it would help...

KB3LAZ
09-16-2013, 08:49 PM
Funny you should mention that (TT, that is)

The thought we came up with at the picnic was spending the allocation on one rig for the first prize (using the two "in hand" items as #2 & #3, as opposed to 3 & 4). The rig of choice? Ten-Tec Eagle. Only the list on it is more than a little above our budget.

W3WH spoke to Stan at TT earlier today. Stan was, I understand, quite in favor of this... but the cost, as suspected, will be the stickler. He offered a "demo" rig at a reduced price; while I'm not at liberty to say how much, suffice to say it was more than a few dollars above our limit. So I don't think we can work that out... dagnabit.

And even if we do manage to swing it... will people be willing to buy tickets on what is, technically, a used radio?

As far as a vintage rig or rigs go... I just don't know. A LOT depends on the rig(s) picked, and the condition they're in. Refurbished? By whom? What about mods -- documented? official? What about a warranty?

Now, if we could swing a "Collins Gold Dust Twins" setup... I'd certainly buy tickets, but danged if I know where I'd put them. Personally, I do have an affinity to the big iron, and the 75A-4 & KWS-1 are amongst the all-time classic setups. I just don't know how that would go over with the general ham population.

If we had a bigger attendance (and bigger hall, of course), or a summer/early fall event that would let us anticipate a larger crowd, I'd LOVE to do something like this. Almost make it a separate set of raffle tickets. I just don't believe our current attendance would justify the expenditure.

...now, if some of our relatively local Island residents would leave the bar and actually COME to the hamfest, it would help...

That setup would eat your budget a few times over. :P

W3WN
09-16-2013, 10:19 PM
There is that.