PDA

View Full Version : Antique store score!

N7YA
09-05-2013, 02:43 AM
Found this beauty sitting on a shelf in our favorite antique store in Boulder City. In many years of antique store scouring, i have found a few sounders (passed on them), a wooden cased, dual terminal battery from the turn of the century in Carlisle, PA (grabbed it), a standard old railroad hand key from the same place (passed), and a spark key at a place here in town, oddly enough...i walked away from that one and think about it from time to time. But thats it! Telegraph stuff doesnt go through antique stores very often, at least not what ive seen.

So when i saw this TAC bug on the shelf, i walked away again. I was proud of myself for having constraint (as was my wife), but i regretted it. I went home and researched it and found that it was a McElroy offshoot company, both weights were on it and the gray crinkle finish was uncommon...i decided that when the next day off rolled around, we would drive back out to Boulder City and see if it was still there. We walked in and went to the shelf, it was gone. My wife was onboard because she knew how much i wanted it. Then she spotted it on a different shelf..."THERE IT IS!" and knocked some stuff over trying to reach it. Funny that she was more excited at that moment than i was. I grabbed it like a football in the fourth quarter of the Superbowl and took it up front and off it went to the car...i was happy and fulfilled.

I need to track down some original Mac paddles for it, clean it up a bit and adjust it. It already has a nice feel to it. And for $60, quite the steal. Happy ham! :)

PA5COR
09-05-2013, 05:02 AM
Good find for a good price ;)

N8YX
09-05-2013, 06:26 AM
Neat. You do know Ted McElroy's claim(s) to fame, right?

W3WN
09-05-2013, 07:00 AM
$60?

That's not a steal. That's Felony Grand Theft!

N7YA
09-05-2013, 08:13 AM
Neat. You do know Ted McElroy's claim(s) to fame, right?

Unless im missing something, its worlds fastest telegrapher...on a straight key. Unless he was also caught naked in a truck stop with a donkey.

N8YX
09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Unless im missing something, its worlds fastest telegrapher...on a straight key. Unless he was also caught naked in a truck stop with a donkey.

He was also head of "The world's most enthusiastic Hallicrafters dealership" (according to an ad in the '46 Handbook I have sitting here). Bill Halligan was photographed with him signing the proclamation.

K7SGJ
09-05-2013, 08:47 AM
Wow, nice find, Adam.

We're going back to Prescott next week to pick some more fresh corn, do a little photography, and do some junkin. There are only a handful of antique stores left around Whiskey Row anymore, but we try to hit them every few months. I've found lot's of collectable clocks that I've fixed and either kept or resold. I haven't found much radio stuff, but it does turn up from time to time.

KG4CGC
09-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Very nice find. Best I found was a 1960's J-38 that the anti-Q proprietor thought was the only one in the world.

KG4NEL
09-05-2013, 02:22 PM
Very nice find. Best I found was a 1960's J-38 that the anti-Q proprietor thought was the only one in the world.

Almost as funny as when those show up on Etsy as "steampunk" :mrgreen:

N7YA
09-05-2013, 04:14 PM
Almost as funny as when those show up on Etsy as "steampunk" :mrgreen:

:lol:

If you tell them its only a J-38, they look at you like "Oh, Mr Hoity Toity know it all trying to argue the price down from $600...well, i KNOW its a museum piece and worth TEN TIMES THAT!!"

N7YA
09-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Wow, nice find, Adam.

We're going back to Prescott next week to pick some more fresh corn, do a little photography, and do some junkin. There are only a handful of antique stores left around Whiskey Row anymore, but we try to hit them every few months. I've found lot's of collectable clocks that I've fixed and either kept or resold. I haven't found much radio stuff, but it does turn up from time to time.

Devie and I are thinking about a wintertime run out that way. Ive driven through Flagstaff many times, but never actually stopped to check it out, but she has. She said its a cool little place. There is a really nice couple out there who run a small bees wax candle company called Pollen Arts. We buy their candles and every time we open the box, the house smells absolutely amazing! We are thinking of stopping by and seeing them and giving them a couple of our drawings and buying some candles...a visit to the Eddie museum may be in order too. Ill bring quarters! :yes:

N7YA
09-05-2013, 04:20 PM
He was also head of "The world's most enthusiastic Hallicrafters dealership" (according to an ad in the '46 Handbook I have sitting here). Bill Halligan was photographed with him signing the proclamation.

Ah, did not know that. I guess when you are buying a Halli, they are screaming and jumping off the counter Luchedore style?

K7SGJ
09-05-2013, 04:39 PM
Devie and I are thinking about a wintertime run out that way. Ive driven through Flagstaff many times, but never actually stopped to check it out, but she has. She said its a cool little place. There is a really nice couple out there who run a small bees wax candle company called Pollen Arts. We buy their candles and every time we open the box, the house smells absolutely amazing! We are thinking of stopping by and seeing them and giving them a couple of our drawings and buying some candles...a visit to the Eddie museum may be in order too. Ill bring quarters! :yes:

We look forward to it.

w2amr
09-06-2013, 04:14 PM
Found this beauty sitting on a shelf in our favorite antique store in Boulder City. In many years of antique store scouring, i have found a few sounders (passed on them), a wooden cased, dual terminal battery from the turn of the century in Carlisle, PA (grabbed it), a standard old railroad hand key from the same place (passed), and a spark key at a place here in town, oddly enough...i walked away from that one and think about it from time to time. But thats it! Telegraph stuff doesnt go through antique stores very often, at least not what ive seen.

So when i saw this TAC bug on the shelf, i walked away again. I was proud of myself for having constraint (as was my wife), but i regretted it. I went home and researched it and found that it was a McElroy offshoot company, both weights were on it and the gray crinkle finish was uncommon...i decided that when the next day off rolled around, we would drive back out to Boulder City and see if it was still there. We walked in and went to the shelf, it was gone. My wife was onboard because she knew how much i wanted it. Then she spotted it on a different shelf..."THERE IT IS!" and knocked some stuff over trying to reach it. Funny that she was more excited at that moment than i was. I grabbed it like a football in the fourth quarter of the Superbowl and took it up front and off it went to the car...i was happy and fulfilled.

I need to track down some original Mac paddles for it, clean it up a bit and adjust it. It already has a nice feel to it. And for $60, quite the steal. Happy ham! :)

Nice find.

N7YA
09-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Thanks George! I know you, of all people, appreciate this kind of thing. :yes: