PDA

View Full Version : Sober...

K9CCH
09-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Yesterday made 5 years that I've been sober.

I never thought that I'd make it this far, and now, not only do I not think about it, I completely forget about it.

Anyone else friends with Bill?

PA5COR
09-02-2013, 07:04 AM
Never drank much alcohol, could count the times i was drunk on the fingers of my 2 hands.
Stopped using alcoholic beverages when i was 26 i'm now 61....
Never looked back too.
Congrats ;)

W5BRM
09-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Gratz! Glad its of so little importance in your life you forgot about it. Most never can forget about it if they were heavily addicted. It's a constant battle for them. I COULD have become a serious alky in my youth if I hadn't watched it take several friends and family members. Spent about 3 years on the bottle cap without falling in before I put 2 and 2 together and set myself straight. I do have an occasional drink now and again... as in maybe once or twice a year. Usually Christmas and 4th of July.

Don't know who Bill is so I cant really say I am. Only Bill I know personally someone I wish I DIDN'T know... POS that he is... but that's another story for another day.

Keep up the good work!

K9CCH
09-02-2013, 09:03 AM
I guess I should clarify that statement. I don't forget about drinking, that's something that's always with you, although cravings greatly lessen over time.

But when I first quit it was hard to think about getting through a day, then a week, then a month, and then a year. What I forget about now is how much time goes by.

WØTKX
09-02-2013, 09:10 AM
My YL is getting her 7 year chip in a couple of weeks. February will be 5 years for me, but I didn't join a club.

Measurable kidney damage scared me, I took Naltrexone for four months. That did the trick, no craving at all. Weird.

It's been about two years with no "weed". I miss the weed more than booze. But it's been OK for quite a while.

K7SGJ
09-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Coming up on 11 years. Yes, friends of Bill and Dr. Bob.

KJ3N
09-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Coming up on 11 years. Yes, friends of Bill and Dr. Bob.

Who the hell are Bill and Dr. Bob?

K9CCH
09-02-2013, 10:34 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Smith_(doctor)

KJ3N
09-02-2013, 10:49 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Smith_(doctor)

Having no experience with that particular organization, or that particular problem, it's no small wonder I had no clue who they were. I've heard of AA, however. Apparently, they do good work.

As to the sober thing, can't say that's going to happen here anytime soon. Don't really see the point, given that if I have more than 3 drinks in a week, that's a lot for me. I don't think a drink with dinner when the wife and I go out on Thursdays, and a martini on Friday and/or Saturday constitutes a problem.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." - Dennis Miller

For those of you so afflicted but maintaining your sobriety, congrats.

W4GPL
09-02-2013, 11:40 AM
Congrats Chris!

Some people just can't have 3 drinks, Jim. Some people have 1 drink and then end up drinking 3 litres.

I'm not a friend of Bill, but we've been acquainted. :)

KA9MOT
09-02-2013, 12:11 PM
Congratulations Chris! I know it isn't easy. Pat yourself on the back and say, "Atta Boy!" for me.

I drank very heavily in my youth. Drugs too! In 1986 I discovered I was WAY too into Meth and gave up illegal drugs altogether. In 1987 I extended my self imposed prohibition to alcohol. Neither was very easy and I felt too self conscious to continue going to AA/NA. I don't honestly believe my problem was a bad as I thought it was, otherwise, I would have failed doing it by myself.

Still today, I am a junky. My drug of choice is nicotine and it has a hold on me like no other. If I go with-out my personality changes and I have no control of it. I'm going to talk to my doctor about getting the patch or something, because I am ready to try again and I need help.

K9CCH
09-02-2013, 12:12 PM
I used to be self conscious about it, as if it was a horrendous flaw. But once I got over that, it is no longer an issue. I'm not embarrassed by it.

I quit smoking 3 years ago too!

W4GPL
09-02-2013, 12:26 PM
Allen Carr's book on stop smoking is good... He has one for drinking too..

http://books.google.com/books/about/The_Easy_Way_to_Stop_Smoking.html?id=GVvYQQAACAAJ

NQ6U
09-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Congrats, Chris!

I'm what Friends of Bill call a "Normie" but my wife just got her four year token in July so I'm pretty familiar with the process and understand that five years is an achievement of note.

N2CHX
09-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Congrats.

KG4CGC
09-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Congratulations all.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/fbc21a87.jpghttp://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/drinks/1f2e7a6b.jpg
I posted the coffee because it's all CGI.

KJ3N
09-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Some people just can't have 3 drinks, Jim. Some people have 1 drink and then end up drinking 3 litres.

Oh, I'm aware of the issues involved. I once knew a YL who preferred alcohol to sex. At one point, I confronted her with that observation. That pretty much ended that rather interesting (but short) relationship. Don't know if she ever resolved her issues with the bottle later in life. I hope so.

I'm not a friend of Bill, but we've been acquainted. :)

Can't say as I ever had "the pleasure". There were a few instances in my 20s when I tied one on, but it never affected my life to any degree where jobs, relationships, or family suffered.

On purely personal observations, I find that some people seem to have an addictive personality. The drug involved may be different, but the addiction is still there. Many a time I've observed that drug addicts also have other addictions, like alcohol and nicotine. Sometimes, they manage to quit the cocaine/heroin addiction, only to replace it with alcohol. Then they quit the alcohol and substitute nicotine, or pot.

I appear to not be "blessed" with these problems and I'm thankful for that. I can (and have) left both alcohol and pot alone for long stretches at a time. I enjoy both, in moderation, to this day. Unless some medical issue arises (T2D, for example), I don't see that changing.

Moderation for the addict is simply not in their DNA (or brain chemistry). That I do understand.

KC2UGV
09-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Well, congrats to those successfully battling those demons.

suddenseer
09-02-2013, 06:28 PM
Congrats on the desired results realized. i quit 13 months ago due to the need to detox everything that went in the body. I was going through some serious health concerns. In addition to detox, I had discovered booze, and some of the 18 meds I was taking daily did not mix well. I am down to just 4. I just quit. I did get in a well done drinking, and radio monitoring session with a couple of fellow Islanders. :shhh: I do not buy, or carry weed around. I get to enjoy a good bud now and again. I am thinking of moving to Colorado, or Washington. I might just stay here in Ohiya. We are going to consider a ballot initiative for medical weed. I can tell all with assurance that it helps with the symptoms of diabetic neuropathy better than the rx meds do, without the side effects. I make no plans to quit weed.

Bubba
09-03-2013, 02:28 AM
:cheers:

W7XF
09-03-2013, 04:25 AM
Congrats, Chris!!

K9CCH
09-03-2013, 05:53 AM
... but it never affected my life to any degree where jobs, relationships, or family suffered.

There are many for whom this never happens either, yet their lives are still unmanageable.

KJ3N
09-03-2013, 08:09 AM
There are many for whom this never happens either, yet their lives are still unmanageable.

I have no doubt. I've watched others self-destruct without the help of any drugs whatsoever.

My one sister is a classic example of a paranoid personality. "They" are out to get her. She absolutely needs medication and did take some for a few years, but refuses now because it's all part of "their" plan to control/destroy her. It's part of the mental disorder. You can't reason with her. Her brain doesn't work that way. Hasn't for close to 30 years.

K9CCH
09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
What I meant was that there are many alcoholics who do not suffer from job loss, relationship loss, or family loss, yet they are still alcoholics. They just are able to 'function' through the disease.

KJ3N
09-03-2013, 08:50 AM
What I meant was that there are many alcoholics who do not suffer from job loss, relationship loss, or family loss, yet they are still alcoholics. They just are able to 'function' through the disease.

Ah, got it.

koØm
09-03-2013, 09:34 AM
Yesterday made 5 years that I've been sober.

I never thought that I'd make it this far, and now, not only do I not think about it, I completely forget about it.

Anyone else friends with Bill?

Congratulations !

Alcohol was not my drug of choice (I never weighted enough to drink; made me sicker that 3 dogs) however, as of today, I have 15 years, 11 months and 24 days (if you want I can tell you how many hours left before it is 15 yrs - 11 months - 25 days) clean.

I do service work here (https://plus.google.com/102525935353979686897/about?hl=en) which is a division of

THIS PLACE (http://www.gcbhs.com/)

K9CCH
09-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Wow! 15 years is quite an accomplishment! Congrats on that as well!!

N8YX
09-03-2013, 10:02 AM
Congrats to all who have addressed detrimental actions and conquered them. I must be fortunate in that I love the taste of a heavy stout or trippel ale but if I never drank another I wouldn't miss the stuff (or its affects) a bit.

K7SGJ
09-03-2013, 10:03 AM
Congrats to all who have addressed detrimental actions and conquered them. I must be fortunate in that I love the taste of a heavy stout or trippel ale but if I never drank another I wouldn't miss the stuff (or its affects) a bit.

That's what separates youse guys from us guys. Ya bastids

VK3ZL
09-04-2013, 02:25 AM
When I was single, 92 to 2000 I used to drink fairly heavily....Home brew Stout..I used to put down a brew of 30 bottles of Stout a fortnight and I consumed at least 1 bottle of red wine every night..

When I re married I quit drinking within a month or so....These days I rarely have a drink except if I have done a bad hot day in the Fire Divisional Command Headquarters...I generally stop on the way home and buy a 13 ounce stubbie of Vic Bitter and that's it...At my age a beer, a green apple and a bang would kill me..

Work is the curse of the drinking man..:-D

Bob..VK3ZL..