PDA

View Full Version : Baseball cards

NA4BH
09-01-2013, 10:53 PM
Looking through some old baseball cards tonight (translates to "I forgot I had these), I found a 1992 Draft Pick card for Derek Jeter. It looks like it just came off the press. Gotta be worth something.

K7SGJ
09-01-2013, 11:02 PM
You can probably get a pack of bubble gum for it.

NQ6U
09-01-2013, 11:24 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=1992+derek+jeter+draft+pick+card&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a#q=1992+derek+jeter+draft+pick+card&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&tbm=shop

NA4BH
09-01-2013, 11:33 PM
Looks like it would be in the $20 range. I've got a bunch of rookie cards that I need to check on.

WX7P
09-02-2013, 07:10 AM
The card market fell apart sometime in the 90's if I remember right.

They still have value, but not like they did in the 80's and early 90's.

K7SGJ
09-02-2013, 10:38 AM

Personally, I think sophisticated video games pretty much took care of that. As well as taking the place of many fun things kids used to do to pass the time, and learn things; other than how to virtually kill people.

KC2UGV
09-02-2013, 12:10 PM

Pre 80's cards still hold their value well, but...

Personally, I think sophisticated video games pretty much took care of that. As well as taking the place of many fun things kids used to do to pass the time, and learn things; other than how to virtually kill people.

Overprinting of cards starting in the mid 80's did it (According to the local card guru).

W3WN
09-02-2013, 02:20 PM

They still have value, but not like they did in the 80's and early 90's.My son got into that for awhile.

What I think happened is that too many "speculators" got involved, jacked the prices up, and drove most kids and "collectors" (for the fun of it) out of the market.

Factor in market saturation from too many "new" product lines from existing companies, and a few new companies jumping in...

Suffice to say when the bubble burst, a lot of speculators lost a lot of money. Good for the kids & collectors who could now pick things up cheap, bad for anyone expecting to make a mint on their cards.

Little Miss Field Day has quite a few cards (mainly from one team, guess which one?), but little of any real "value" to anyone except her. And that's the way she likes it. And that's the way I'd like it to stay, for her sake.

But if anyone comes across any Pirates cards they don't want, she will give them a good home!

KC2UGV
09-02-2013, 02:26 PM
Little Miss Field Day has quite a few cards (mainly from one team, guess which one?), but little of any real "value" to anyone except her. And that's the way she likes it. And that's the way I'd like it to stay, for her sake.

That's the way it should be, IMO.

NA4BH
09-02-2013, 10:49 PM
My son got into that for awhile.

What I think happened is that too many "speculators" got involved, jacked the prices up, and drove most kids and "collectors" (for the fun of it) out of the market.

Factor in market saturation from too many "new" product lines from existing companies, and a few new companies jumping in...

Suffice to say when the bubble burst, a lot of speculators lost a lot of money. Good for the kids & collectors who could now pick things up cheap, bad for anyone expecting to make a mint on their cards.

But if anyone comes across any Pirates cards they don't want, she will give them a good home!

I do have a Blas Minor rookie card too.

ETA: And while we are on the subject of Pittsburgh (Steelers), I have two Kevin Greene, signed, cards. One from Pittsburgh and the other from the Rams. These were handed to me personally from Kevin. Nice guy.

N7YA
09-06-2013, 03:19 PM
If history serves correctly, nostalgia will bring them back but you have to be patient...or live long enough. I have thousands of cards, LOTS of great rookies, i keep the good ones in slips, handle them gently by the edges, never the corners, keep them stored, etc...i am going to be getting rid of them in the next 2 years before we move, im not expecting much. Im also not going to wait for the nostalgic resurgence. Downscaling is the key, but it was a lot of fun buying them.

suddenseer
09-06-2013, 07:45 PM
Nostalgia seems to force us old koots to purchase old stuff we once had to somehow recreate, or reconnect to our youth. My Mother pitched my collection when I was 18. She also threw out my National Lampoon High School Yearbook. I just want my Gomer Pyle lunchbox back, it will surely make me feel better.

NQ6U
09-06-2013, 10:06 PM
You know what they say: "No stalgia is good stalgia."

suddenseer
09-06-2013, 11:27 PM
I'm usually Lostalgia, then Hostalgia. What a bummer. This is all I need to be made http://www.greatestcollectibles.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/1966-Gomer-Pyle-USMC.jpgwhole.