PDA

View Full Version : Just Got Hit In the Back

n2ize
08-31-2013, 08:41 PM
I was parked at a stop sign waiting on an entrance ramp to get on the local highway and all of a sudden I feel an incredible jolt and a sudden shock go through the car and through my body stinging my vertebrae for a few moments. At the same instant as the collision a hear glass breaking and I realize that some guy just slammed into the back. I got out expecting to the the back of my car busted up good but there wasn't even a scratch. The bumper adsorbed the shock beautifully. He wasn't so lucky. Apparently he busted some lights and apprently busted his radiator. He apologized telling he thought the highway was clear... Yeah dummy, but you are supposed to look in front of you to check if anyone else is stopped in front of you on the ramp.. He was in a hurry to get out of there and jumped in his car and took off. I doubt he'll get far with no water. I grabbed his plate as he sped away then called the cops to get it on record. So far there seems to be no damage to our car and so far no apparent injuries although I was shook up quite a bit. Do jerks like these think they can defy the laws of physics and just go through a heavy object in front of them ? Or do they just not bother to look in front of them to see where they are going. I did some jerk driving when I was younger but at least I looked where I was going and what was in front of me. Un-friggin-believable !!

suddenseer
08-31-2013, 08:54 PM
You should still get checked out by a physician. I am happy for you that it was not a serious life changing event. I can be like a Jewish mother, please go see a physician soon.

KG4CGC
08-31-2013, 08:55 PM
Did he tilt the boiler?

kb2vxa
08-31-2013, 11:08 PM
"I grabbed his plate as he sped away then called the cops to get it on record."
I hope you didn't get hurt, next time just jot down the number. Hit and run, a great foundation for building a case that'll enrich your life, your doctor's life, and of course your lawyer's. Back pain being such a medical mystery is impossible to prove or disprove so insurance companies pay off without dispute that costs more than the settlement. You own him, now take advantage of your newly acquired assets.

W7XF
08-31-2013, 11:26 PM
John.. glad to see that you're not seriously injured. When the cops catch the hit/run perp....s/he is in deep shit. the perp WILL get caught more than likely...well at least the owner of the car, when they try to get their car repaired, or try to buy the parts to do same. Even salvage yards, in most states must report sales of auto body parts...

n2ize
09-01-2013, 02:26 AM
Did he tilt the boiler?

No, but he busted his ass... I mean boiler... I mean radiator. Seriously, there was fluid on the ground and steam blowing out the grill so it appears he ruptured his cooling system. That's why I doubt he could have driven too far after the crash. Either he lives nearby or he drove to a garage or something. car's not going to run too long with a broken leaking ass boiler, er I mean cooling system. I'm just glad there was no damage to my car and no apparent injuries. These new rear bumpers are incredible. Had I been driving my brothers old 1965 Mustang convertible the rear would have been crumpled and the gas tank ruptured. How do I know. He was driving it years ago and was hit in the back the same way and that is exactly what happened. Good news is it was fixed nicely.

n2ize
09-01-2013, 02:30 AM
John.. glad to see that you're not seriously injured. When the cops catch the hit/run perp....s/he is in deep shit. the perp WILL get caught more than likely...well at least the owner of the car, when they try to get their car repaired, or try to buy the parts to do same. Even salvage yards, in most states must report sales of auto body parts...

Yeah, fortunately it was a minor collision at relatively low speed. We just got jarred a bit. I guess it will depend on how much damage he has. If it's just a couple headlamps and a radiator I doubt much will come of it. I mainly wanted to make sure that the cops have it on record that the collision did take place. I just get angry with people that drive and don't bother to look to see what is in front of them. Maybe he was busy texting.

PA5COR
09-01-2013, 02:52 AM
Have yourself and the car checked, it is nice it'"looks" like the bumper absorbed the hit, but it might have damaged the frame and bend it slightly.
If you have his registration and the police made a report you can get at him for damages to yourself and the car.

Have a medical check up on your back and neck, sometimes it takes time to manifestate problems from the crash.

Don;'t ask how i know, i was hit in my van from behind and after a week or so i had problems with my neck for 18 months....
That accident took out my bumper, the subframe it was mounted on to the frame and one of the 2 doors... from a 4000 pound van..
Seems there are a lot of idiots on the road out there same as here...

w2amr
09-01-2013, 03:41 AM
I'm surprised his airbag didn't deploy. Glad you're ok John.

Bubba
09-01-2013, 04:13 AM
Sounds like maybe you are one of those SLOW drivers...

WX7P
09-01-2013, 09:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq8sWx1rh0s

WX7P
09-01-2013, 09:05 AM
Yeah, fortunately it was a minor collision at relatively low speed. We just got jarred a bit. I guess it will depend on how much damage he has. If it's just a couple headlamps and a radiator I doubt much will come of it. I mainly wanted to make sure that the cops have it on record that the collision did take place. I just get angry with people that drive and don't bother to look to see what is in front of them. Maybe he was busy texting.

I thought you said you didn't have a car and took your bike everywhere?

Change your mind?

K7SGJ
09-01-2013, 09:21 AM
Aw shit, this is probably going to affect company profits. Now I'm going to have to sell my jet ski, fuck.

I hope I can keep the chick.

KC2UGV
09-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Also, you should get your bumper inspected. Sometimes, they damage, but you can't see it, and they wont do the same job next time.

KG4NEL
09-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Unwanted rear entry is the pits.

n2ize
09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
I thought you said you didn't have a car and took your bike everywhere?

Change your mind?

I think you have me confused with someone else. Just got my license back in June after many years without one.

n2ize
09-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Sounds like maybe you are one of those SLOW drivers...

No, too fast. One of the reasons I didn't have a license for a long time.

W3WN
09-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I was parked at a stop sign waiting on an entrance ramp to get on the local highway and all of a sudden I feel an incredible jolt and a sudden shock go through the car and through my body stinging my vertebrae for a few moments. At the same instant as the collision a hear glass breaking and I realize that some guy just slammed into the back. I got out expecting to the the back of my car busted up good but there wasn't even a scratch. The bumper adsorbed the shock beautifully. He wasn't so lucky. Apparently he busted some lights and apprently busted his radiator. He apologized telling he thought the highway was clear... Yeah dummy, but you are supposed to look in front of you to check if anyone else is stopped in front of you on the ramp.. He was in a hurry to get out of there and jumped in his car and took off. I doubt he'll get far with no water. I grabbed his plate as he sped away then called the cops to get it on record. So far there seems to be no damage to our car and so far no apparent injuries although I was shook up quite a bit. Do jerks like these think they can defy the laws of physics and just go through a heavy object in front of them ? Or do they just not bother to look in front of them to see where they are going. I did some jerk driving when I was younger but at least I looked where I was going and what was in front of me. Un-friggin-believable !!Get your car checked by your mechanic ASAP.
Get your ass checked by your doctor ASAP. (And the rest of you too)

Sometimes the damage to the car (frame, for one) isn't obvious. I got rear-ended at a stop light a LONG time ago (how long ago was it? I was still married to the 1st one, and the car I was driving was a Chevette. Yuck), and although there was no obvious damage, I found out the next day that my muffler had broken free & was about to fall off, and I had some frame damage.

You're probably OK, but sometimes bruising or other relatively minor injuries don't become obvious until later. (IE, you're hurt now, but you don't get sore until later). Again, better to be sure.

You did the right thing in getting the plate & calling the cops. I don't know what the law says in NY, but in PA, if you do this, you may (depending on the circumstances) be charged with either leaving the scene of an accident and/or hit-and-run. Especially if he didn't stop and exchange insurance information with you. And it sounds like there's enough damage to his car that if the cops track him down (and let's hope they do), he can't deny that the incident even happened.

And yes, some of these schmucks don't believe the laws of physics apply to them. Or care. Probably thinks the accident was YOUR fault because (how dare you!) you failed to get out of HIS way.

N8YX
09-01-2013, 02:59 PM
What everyone else said. I'm glad you're okay, John - but would definitely be getting checked out for spinal/cervical trauma if I was in your shoes.

Kevin is right: They're going to nail the H&R driver, especially if he has priors.

KK4AMI
09-01-2013, 03:13 PM
The important thing to remember is getting you checked out. I had a brand new 1978 Buick Regal Sport Coupe rear ended. They repaired it, but it never drove down the road the same. The quiet left the car, now every time I went down the road, it squeaked, rattled and groaned. So I sold it.

N2NH
09-02-2013, 12:08 AM
Glad to see you're ok - good advice is to see ifbthere is hidden damage to the car. Some bumpers need to be replaced after an accident. All the advice on getting a doctor to look at you is good. Hopefully he is insured.

wa6mhz
09-02-2013, 08:50 AM
Someone hit and ran my Town Car in a parking lot sometime in the last few days. Put a nasty cut into the middle of the rear bumper. Not a dent, but a cut. Maybe I can patch it over with some JB WELD and then touch it up with touchup paint. Not sure what it was, but it looks to be about 3 inches square, like a Trailer hitch.

K7SGJ
09-02-2013, 10:52 AM
Someone hit and ran my Town Car in a parking lot sometime in the last few days. Put a nasty cut into the middle of the rear bumper. Not a dent, but a cut. Maybe I can patch it over with some JB WELD and then touch it up with touchup paint. Not sure what it was, but it looks to be about 3 inches square, like a Trailer hitch.

Why not just jack up the paint job, and put a new car underneath it?

wa6mhz
09-02-2013, 10:58 AM
They stopped making Town Cars in 2011, and I have yet to find a new car that can come even CLOSE to they way they handle and feel. It is a Land Yacht! A Tuna Cruiser! Gone are the days of the big wide cars made for Superhighway cruising! Now, all the auto industries are concerned about is FUEL ECONOMY, so even Cadillacs are the size of a Toyota!

Comfort and RIDE are GONE! (And I get 25 MPG on the road in my TC!)

WØTKX
09-02-2013, 11:15 AM
F-150 four door Eco-Boost is the new Town Car.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/10q3/357232/ford-f-series-review-2011-ford-f-150-ecoboost-drive-car-and-driver-photo-366545-s-429x262.jpg

Bubba
09-02-2013, 03:08 PM
Just go see a lawyer. Skip the doctor.

K7SGJ
09-02-2013, 06:09 PM
Or see if you can find someone whose name ends in Esquire M.D.

KG4NEL
09-02-2013, 06:25 PM
They stopped making Town Cars in 2011, and I have yet to find a new car that can come even CLOSE to they way they handle and feel. It is a Land Yacht! A Tuna Cruiser! Gone are the days of the big wide cars made for Superhighway cruising! Now, all the auto industries are concerned about is FUEL ECONOMY, so even Cadillacs are the size of a Toyota!

This is not a bad thing.

I've been in International box trucks that have had better cornering "feel" than a Crown Vic...and unlike the police, I can't cruise at 100mph all day legally :cool2:

n2ize
09-02-2013, 07:27 PM
So far all is well. No latent injuries. The owner of the car is going to have someone take a look at the bumper just to make sure but it's probably okay. Thank God I wasn't sitting in an 1970's Ford Pinto or I might have been cremated alive. 2 lessons learned here. 1) You never know when it's gonna happen and, 2) There are drivers who don't feel it is necessary to look in front of them. Thats why I always tell people who walk in the street, esp. at night. Don't expect that the approaching car see's you.

kb2vxa
09-03-2013, 09:23 PM
"There are drivers who don't feel it is necessary to look in front of them."
That's how I got hit. The driver was looking to his left for a break in traffic while I was crossing his path. "But I didn't SEE you!" I told him "Yeah, because you weren't watching where you were going. You were expecting your way to be clear, it wasn't, that's why you didn't see me." I learned a valuable lesson; when you think you have the right of way you don't. The rules of the road have changed; the biggest vehicles have the right of way. The pecking order is according to size; 55' semis have but one predator, trains, women pushing baby carriages are at the bottom of the food chain.

"Thats why I always tell people who walk in the street, esp. at night."
People who walk in the street are stupid. If you allow them to pass on their stupid genes future generations will have to put up with more stupid. Try a little chlorine in the gene pool, ENCOURAGE them to walk in the street and do your part while driving, AIM for them. Future generations will thank you.

n2ize
09-03-2013, 09:47 PM
People who walk in the street are stupid. If you allow them to pass on their stupid genes future generations will have to put up with more stupid. Try a little chlorine in the gene pool, ENCOURAGE them to walk in the street and do your part while driving, AIM for them. Future generations will thank you.

Many suburban and rural areas don't have sidewalks. We have sidewalks around here but there are a few streets around here that don't have sidewalks. The streets were cut back when there was little or no auto traffic and the property lines went right on up to the road. Some of the home owners have put in their own sidewalks but many have not and there is no law requiring them to. It is strictly voluntary. So you have no choice but to walk in the street. And you have to be careful because traffic is much higher today than ever before. Few if any rural or former rural areas have sidewalks. If you walk you walk along the road and those roads are much heavier in traffic than when they were farm roads.

KG4NEL
09-03-2013, 11:11 PM
"There are drivers who don't feel it is necessary to look in front of them."
That's how I got hit. The driver was looking to his left for a break in traffic while I was crossing his path. "But I didn't SEE you!" I told him "Yeah, because you weren't watching where you were going. You were expecting your way to be clear, it wasn't, that's why you didn't see me." I learned a valuable lesson; when you think you have the right of way you don't. The rules of the road have changed; the biggest vehicles have the right of way. The pecking order is according to size; 55' semis have but one predator, trains, women pushing baby carriages are at the bottom of the food chain.

I run on public roads. As far as I know, it's legal to do so. I wear highly reflective clothes, lights, run facing traffic, and am fully aware that at any time I may have to bail into the ditch if the person driving is too busy texting to see me.

So yeah...

kb2vxa
09-04-2013, 02:18 AM
"Many suburban and rural areas don't have sidewalks."
What do sidewalks have to do with walking in the street? Walking on the shoulder is not walking in the street, walking in the lane of traffic is. That having been said I guess I'll have to keep my tongue out of my cheek, you guys take life too seriously. Still I have two wishes that apply here, one is I wish chlorine in the gene pool were legal and the other is I wish drivers would pay attention to driving.

What prompts my tongue in cheek sarcasm is the observable fact that around here at least people leave their brains at home if they even have any to begin with. Pedestrians and cyclists are all over the road defying motorists to run them over and motorists drive as if the road is clear ahead at all times regardless of conditions. Even police ride bikes like the law doesn't apply to them! Maybe this being rich man's land has something to do with them having more sense of entitlement than sense, my lawyer is bigger than your lawyer so I dare you to hit me, never mind the pain and suffering, it's worth money.

Heh, running facing traffic is more important than anything else. If the driver is approaching you on the shoulder where you're (supposed to be) running you'll run into the ditch before you go flying into the ditch. Some road planners are smart, they put a strip of rough pavement between the traffic lane and shoulder so if the driver wanders the loud roar will remind him. Some are even smarter if not sneaky, they omit the rough strip which effectively puts chlorine in the gene pool... heh heh heh. What amazes me is despite the rumble strip along the Parkway pretty much every day I hear police calls about cars off in the woods. Now it makes sense why pedestrians and bicycles are prohibited.

n2ize
09-04-2013, 04:37 AM
"Many suburban and rural areas don't have sidewalks."
What do sidewalks have to do with walking in the street? Walking on the shoulder is not walking in the street, walking in the lane of traffic is. That having been said I guess I'll have to keep my tongue out of my cheek, you guys take life too seriously. Still I have two wishes that apply here, one is I wish chlorine in the gene pool were legal and the other is I wish drivers would pay attention to driving.

Depends on the type of area you are in and how frequent the traffic is. I've walked in the street many times. It's not easy to walk along the shoulder of a sidewalkless road in a suburban area like this because of parked cars along the shoulder. Also depends on conditions. I remember when the sides of the roads were so packed with plowed snow and the sidewalks so icy and the streets so narrow that the safest place to walk without breaking your neck or climbing through deep packed snow was in the middle of the street. Every time a car approached (which was quite frequent) you would have to find a place to step to the side to allow passage.
Same thing with walking in the street. You move to the side when a car is coming.

n2ize
09-04-2013, 04:46 AM

I can't understand why anyone would give a crap about fuel economy these days. What is so difficult about spending more money at the pump. Why are people being so cheap with heir money and always trying to spend less of gas. We have become a nation of cheapskate misers. I get 7 mpg. No problem. I just gas up a lot more than anyone else. The cost of fuel is incidental. Peanuts.

KG4NEL
09-04-2013, 10:31 AM
The smilies are there for a reason, guys...

:yes::-P

n2ize
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Streetwalkers.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM

Tight undies?

KG4CGC
09-05-2013, 04:27 PM
You didn't get hit in the back. You were rear ended in traffic. Should never play around. Dial nine one one immediately and get the police and an ambulance out there. The guy who rear ended you in traffic should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. That's 10 years no questions asked. You need to push this to the maximum penalty that the law will allow. Drunk drugged drivers should be publicly hung. I've read where you have posted that yet you let this guy get away with murder.
I'm beginning to think that you're a poofda.

NQ6U
09-05-2013, 04:52 PM

Or, more likely, a prevaricator.

KG4CGC
09-05-2013, 05:07 PM
Or, more likely, a prevaricator.

And a poofda.

NQ6U
09-05-2013, 05:38 PM
And a poofda.

Not a pooftah?

KG4NEL
09-06-2013, 12:35 PM
You didn't get hit in the back. You were rear ended in traffic. Should never play around. Dial nine one one immediately and get the police and an ambulance out there. The guy who rear ended you in traffic should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident. That's 10 years no questions asked. You need to push this to the maximum penalty that the law will allow. Drunk drugged drivers should be publicly hung. I've read where you have posted that yet you let this guy get away with murder.

icwutudidthur

:shifty::agree: