PDA

View Full Version : Worcestershire Sauce.

HUGH
08-30-2013, 03:31 PM
Normally we buy Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce but wifey, in her infinite wisdom, purchased the Heinz version which tastes nothing like it, more like Chinese five-spice in fact. Examination of the label, and some Heinz balsamic vinegar, shows it's made in China in Gangzhou Province, a major industrial area.
Now Lea and Perrins has different ingredients such as anchovies (the latter is apparently a man thing) and things that grow in the UK. I shall be depleting this purchase a little at a time by pouring it down the drain.

Are similar products from Heinz available in the USA made in China also?

KK4AMI
08-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Normally we buy Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce but wifey, in her infinite wisdom, purchased the Heinz version which tastes nothing like it, more like Chinese five-spice in fact. Examination of the label, and some Heinz balsamic vinegar, shows it's made in China in Gangzhou Province, a major industrial area.
Now Lea and Perrins has different ingredients such as anchovies (the latter is apparently a man thing) and things that grow in the UK. I shall be depleting this purchase a little at a time by pouring it down the drain.

We are strictly a Lea and Perrins household. Looking up the stuff on the internet, it appears Lea and Perrins is owned by Heinz anyway and made in New Jersey. My wife is pretty determined to avoid any foods made in China. She always thinks the Chinese are trying to get rid of nuclear waste by passing it off as soup or seafood. There have been so many pet food scares here in the States, she won't even feed Chinese made pet treats to our two dogs.

http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/worchestershire-a-fish-sauce-by-any-other-name/

KG4CGC
08-30-2013, 09:08 PM
Shampoo, toothpaste and the laundry list of personal items, foods and etc, do not have to be labeled as made in China in the US because the companies bought off the FDA to be able to not have to list that ''pesky'' little fact.
Half our bacon in the US comes from China as well.

KB3LAZ
08-31-2013, 09:39 AM
Picky Picky. I would settle for 88 cents bottle of walmart brand. I go to the specialty store here and try to pick it up and it is around 6€ for something the size of a sample alcohol bottle. I did score some stale fig newtons for a euro, though. The little things are what make life worth living.

As for bacon, I must say that most pork products are great here. However, I would say that half of the bacon around here comes from a turkey.

...."Son, don't you know that bacon comes from a pig?" ;)

WØTKX
08-31-2013, 10:34 AM
http://www.americastestkitchenfeed.com/do-it-yourself/2011/08/how-to-make-worcestershire-sauce/

N7YA
09-06-2013, 03:22 PM
I never let economics determine what i will ingest. We buy local when possible, and research companies, and of course, read labels and read INTO them. "Natural flavoring"? That needs to be looked into a bit more.

GM1TDU
09-07-2013, 09:57 AM
"...things that grow in the UK."

Like tamarind, for example? :-)