PDA

View Full Version : Playing MOV Files

HUGH
08-29-2013, 03:01 PM
Having acquired a new camera, I note it records movies in the .mov format with a choice of speeds. My other camera uses .avi files and I have no problems but playing .mov files on a PC, from the USB output, results in a very jerky replay regardless of the software used for replay.

The files play OK on the camera and there is an HDMI output so does the manufacturer (Casio) expect this to be used? I haven't tried it yet but I'd rather have files available on the PC. All the PCs I tried are the same, the software includes Quicktime, RealPlayer and GOM Player, anything else just shows a still frame:irked:.

NQ6U
08-29-2013, 03:04 PM
.mov is QuickTime format so if you have a QT player installed, I don't understand why you're having a problem. What happens if you transfer the file to your HDD and play rather than trying to play it live over USB?

WØTKX
08-29-2013, 03:58 PM
Weird. Quicktime should work. Make sure it's updated? :chin:

I've used VLC and Gomplayer as well, codecs can be a bit tricky.

NQ6U
08-29-2013, 05:55 PM
The fact that the stuttering happens when the playback is via USB rather than off the HDD makes me suspect that the problem lies there.

HUGH
08-30-2013, 06:29 AM
Thanks and apologies for the omission. The stuttering is the same off USB and HDD, .avi files of much larger size are fine. I'll check for correct codecs and if QuickTime is the most recent. It certainly reminds me frequently enough.
I used to have VLC so I'll look to see where it's got to.

HUGH
08-30-2013, 03:21 PM
Windows media player is slightly better but plays in slow motion and is mute. I'm beginning to think it's a camera USB function. This model is the Casio Exlilm ZR400. I had to return the previous model ZR300 as it developed a serious USB interface problem. The designers program the camera to switch on when the USB lead is connected, not really necessary I'd have thought, and it stays on when the lead is removed. My other cameras, so far, require the user to switch on to download, the extra Casio facility may put some stress on the USB chip perhaps.

WØTKX
08-30-2013, 04:10 PM
Maybe you have something going on with USB ports on the PC? I have had issues with goofy drivers and/or hardware, even if the same port worked well with other devices.