PDA

View Full Version : Nobody likes me, Im gonna go drink worms!!!?

W5BRM
08-29-2013, 12:36 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/29/us/oklahoma-blood-worms-water-supply/index.html?c=us yuck!!! I live about 250 miles from there a.d thats way too close for me

PA5COR
08-29-2013, 02:34 PM
Someone needs to makke better filters there ;)

K7SGJ
08-29-2013, 03:28 PM
All they need to do is throw a bunch of trout in the water system for a couple of weeks, then have a fish fry. Problem solved.

kb2vxa
08-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Sorry Cor, it doesn't work that way. Rat, it don't work that way either. They'd have to be wild trout, hatchery trout wouldn't recognize food in the wild if it jumped up and bit them because they're fed pellets. Wild trout in NJ are as rare as hen's teeth so they're raised in a hatchery in Hackettstown and stocked during trout season. They don't bite on worms or flies but they gobble up corn like there's no tomorrow.

"Colcord's water commissioner, Cody Gibby, is scratching his head over how the worms, the larvae of midges, got through the town's water-filtering defenses. "It's not just a little 6-inch filter, it's 6 foot of coal and sand mixed together that not even a hair can get through," he told KJRH. "And these worms are getting through it and getting into our distribution water."

That commie-issioner is dumber than a box of rocks! They're not getting through the filter, they're living in it. Picture a box full of sand with a water inlet at the top and an outlet at the bottom. Water flows through and large particles are trapped, when it gets full of gunk (mud reaches the outlet) it's back flushed so the lighter mud particles wash out while the heavier sand stays in the box. Worms get trapped too but when the filter is back flushed with worm laden water or mud for that matter they're at the outlet already so they end up IN the outlet, the filter is useless. The solution is back flush with clean water from on site tanks but TOO LATE, they're full of worms too.

Blood worms? So named only because they're red, around here we use blood worms for fish bait. They're about the size of night crawlers, have fringe on them like Annie Oakley's vest and those nasty things can inflict a painful venomous bite, damn little sand vampires! I don't suppose the people with wormy water have trouble washing with it but they sure would if they had to contend with THESE things.

n2ize
08-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Sorry Cor, it doesn't work that way. Rat, it don't work that way either. They'd have to be wild trout, hatchery trout wouldn't recognize food in the wild if it jumped up and bit them because they're fed pellets. Wild trout in NJ are as rare as hen's teeth so they're raised in a hatchery in Hackettstown and stocked during trout season. They don't bite on worms or flies but they gobble up corn like there's no tomorrow.

"Colcord's water commissioner, Cody Gibby, is scratching his head over how the worms, the larvae of midges, got through the town's water-filtering defenses. "It's not just a little 6-inch filter, it's 6 foot of coal and sand mixed together that not even a hair can get through," he told KJRH. "And these worms are getting through it and getting into our distribution water."

That commie-issioner is dumber than a box of rocks! They're not getting through the filter, they're living in it. Picture a box full of sand with a water inlet at the top and an outlet at the bottom. Water flows through and large particles are trapped, when it gets full of gunk (mud reaches the outlet) it's back flushed so the lighter mud particles wash out while the heavier sand stays in the box. Worms get trapped too but when the filter is back flushed with worm laden water or mud for that matter they're at the outlet already so they end up IN the outlet, the filter is useless. The solution is back flush with clean water from on site tanks but TOO LATE, they're full of worms too.

Blood worms? So named only because they're red, around here we use blood worms for fish bait. They're about the size of night crawlers, have fringe on them like Annie Oakley's vest and those nasty things can inflict a painful venomous bite, damn little sand vampires! I don't suppose the people with wormy water have trouble washing with it but they sure would if they had to contend with THESE things.

Those are sandworms in the picture. I used to use them for flounder fishing all the time. Occaisionally we used "bloodworms" when the bait store was out of sandworms. oth can inflict a nasty but superficial "bite". I've been bitten by sandworms and bloodworms time and time again,

The blood worms the town is having problems sound more like the small (tiny) and slender worms (< 1 mm thick) that I used to feed to my tropical fish. They were typically red mosquito larvae. They came either live or in frozen cubes.. But more often than that we used to feed them live tubifex worms which looked a lot like the tiny bloodworms in size diameter and length but not as bloody red in colour. The generally grow in river and lake bottom sediment and in sewage systems.The tropical fish used to gobble those things like crazy.

kb2vxa
08-30-2013, 11:55 PM
DAMMIT, why do you insist on contradicting me at every turn?
"Occasionally we used "bloodworms" when the bait store was out of sandworms."
Pardon my giggles, the guy in the bait store either didn't know the difference or had a good idea you didn't. Shore people don't buy bait, we harvest it and sell it to the bait stores and party boat captains. They're easily confused as they look almost identical except blood worms are blood colored and sand worms are sand (light tan) colored. You can't tell by a photo, I can easily adjust the color hue and saturation to prove the moon is made of green cheese. I used them for fluke and flounder bait "too" only I never bought bait at the bait shop because I know where they're found, like right next to the east abutment of the Mantoloking Bridge a couple miles south of my QTH. Unfortunately the worm colony got a bit disturbed when Sandy came through.

Oh dear, and I thought MY memory is bad. I "too" fed my tropical fish tubifex aka sludge worms and they're not red mosquito larvae, they're worms, not insects. They don't come in frozen cubes either, they come in freeze dried cubes. HUH? They're just as bloody red as blood worms, that is unless they're dead, then they look like fish turds and smell worse. Yup, tropical fish gobble them but not like crazy, they stop when they're bloated and can't swallow any more, then they stop gobbling. Catfish on the other hand are crazy, not LIKE crazy. I had a fingerling in the tank and even after it swelled up like a balloon it kept on chomping until they were sticking out its mouth and gills. I had to rescue the stupid thing, got in there with tweezers and cleaned its mouth out or it would have drowned.

Next time you do a quick study on line read it right, stop and think, then read it again to make sure you fixed the mistakes you made. Here are some untouched photos to help you figure out which ones are midge larvae, mosquito larvae and live tubifex worms. Oh, the wrecked Mantoloking Bridge is just for perspective in case you think Sandy did you wrong.

n2ize
08-31-2013, 02:40 PM
DAMMIT, why do you insist on contradicting me at every turn?
"Occasionally we used "bloodworms" when the bait store was out of sandworms."
Pardon my giggles, the guy in the bait store either didn't know the difference or had a good idea you didn't. Shore people don't buy bait, we harvest it and sell it to the bait stores and party boat captains. They're easily confused as they look almost identical except blood worms are blood colored and sand worms are sand (light tan) colored. You can't tell by a photo, I can easily adjust the color hue and saturation to prove the moon is made of green cheese. I used them for fluke and flounder bait "too" only I never bought bait at the bait shop because I know where they're found, like right next to the east abutment of the Mantoloking Bridge a couple miles south of my QTH. Unfortunately the worm colony got a bit disturbed when Sandy came through.

Nope, the bloodworms were different. If I remember correctly didn't have the little things that liik like barbs running along the side. Their bodies were smooth, more like earth worms. At least thats what I remember them like. Generally I used only sand worms for flounder fishing and a Hopkins lure for surf fishing. These days I no longer fish. Now are you saying they are both the same or they are different ? Generally when we bought bait we were asked if we wanted sand worms or blood worms. I recall the sand worms being tan as you described and the blood worms much more of a bloody red. Now, I'll admit, I am not a shore person, I'm just a dumb hillbilly so perhaps the shore folk were pulling one on me and dipping them in ketchup and telling me they were blood worms and when we walk out of the store they had a good laugh and said, "hey, them mountain people sure are dumb". Then again, us mountain folk have our own little tricks for when the shore people head up our way... assuming they can make it. Boats don't do too good on these mountain trails. Specially in winter when even the rivers and lakes are frozen. ;)

Oh dear, and I thought MY memory is bad. I "too" fed my tropical fish tubifex aka sludge worms and they're not red mosquito larvae, they're worms, not insects. They don't come in frozen cubes either, they come in freeze dried cubes. HUH? They're just as bloody red as blood worms, that is unless they're dead, then they look like fish turds and smell worse.

Wrong. I never said "tubifix" and "boodworms" were the same. Tubifix are worms. "bloodworms" on the other hand are an insect larvae (red "mosquito" aka midge larvae). Tubifix come live, frozen and freeze dried. Bloodworms also come frozen and freeze dried and live. For over 30 years I have purchased and used them in all 3 forms. Don't believe me when I say they come in frozen cubes ? I still have a package of them in the ice box. I'd be happy to send it to you if you want confirmation.

Yup, tropical fish gobble them but not like crazy, they stop when they're bloated and can't swallow any more, then they stop gobbling. Catfish on the other hand are crazy, not LIKE crazy. I had a fingerling in the tank and even after it swelled up like a balloon it kept on chomping until they were sticking out its mouth and gills. I had to rescue the stupid thing, got in there with tweezers and cleaned its mouth out or it would have drowned.

"Like crazy" is an ambiguous term and is really not properly applicable to this discussion. What is "like crazy" to you or I might be "normal" to another person. So let's compromise and say they consume them. The rate and quantity of consumption is relative to how much they are fed, and the type of fish you are feeding. But yeah, I've had many different types of catfish and most of them ate tubifix in abundance and with an aire of eagerness.

Next time you do a quick study on line read it right, stop and think, then read it again to make sure you fixed the mistakes you made. Here are some untouched photos to help you figure out which ones are midge larvae, mosquito larvae and live tubifex worms. Oh, the wrecked Mantoloking Bridge is just for perspective in case you think Sandy did you wrong.
[/quote]

I've kept tropical fish for over 30 years of my life so I am speaking from direct experience. . I did not make any mistakes. I am quite familiar with tubifex worms, blackworms and bloodworms (red moquito / midge) larvae, mosquito larvae, brine shrimp, wax worms krill, etc. . I have used all these (except mosquito larvae and waxworms) as fish food for decades in various forms (i.e. frozen, freeze dried, and live) and I can easily tell them apart on sight. And yes, both tubifex and bloodworms do come frozen, in both sheets, chunks, and cubes. I know they do because I have frequently bought them and use them and still have half a package in the freezer. So please, don't try to tell me my business and that I don't know what I am talking about. I've had over 3 decades of fish keeping experience and I am quite familiar with the different types of feed available and what forms it comes in. Perhaps you should spend more time reading and less time assuming people are trying to contradict you.

WØTKX
08-31-2013, 03:42 PM
http://www.bulkcandystore.com/Assets/ProductImages/Cherry_Gummi_Worms.jpg

kb2vxa
09-01-2013, 12:12 AM
You have a history of picking arguments with me since I came here so don't mind me if I pick them apart. I'm not the only one you have a habit of contradicting so if the game of One Up On You makes you feel superior; DILLIGAF? That having been said and I'm not one to drive a point into the ground once it has been made I move on.

Gummy worms... YUM! It reminds me of tiny crustaceans in New York water some years ago, don't remember just what kind of shrimp-like crustacean called a copepod but it was fairly common in season. That's when the area around Watervliet upstate was rural and the reservoir water pure so it was sent down to the city untreated, the best water there ever was. Since then the area has been overdeveloped like most places these days, runoff polluted the reservoir so now there is a treatment plant and the city water tastes like, well, city water. No more bugs and they sell more bottled water than ever now. Meanwhile the discovery had changed the daily lives of tens of thousands of Orthodox Jews across the city. Plumbers in Brooklyn, Manhattan and Queens have been summoned to install water filters - some costing more than $1,000 - and dozens of restaurants have posted signs in their windows trumpeting that they filter their water. As a result, an entirely new standard is being set for what constitutes a Kosher kitchen. That raises the question; are these "blood worm" midge fly larvae Kosher? Don't be so quick to say no being they're insects, a certain type of desert locust is and sustained Hebrew prophets and Jesus in the wilderness for that highly symbolic 40 day vision quest.