PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day Weekend...

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 07:45 PM
My plan is to be camping on the Lake Ontario shore line, probably Friday night to Saturday and possibly to Sunday morning...

With me will be four children, one child's boyfriend, possibly a husband, and my Ensemble RXTX with a portable dipole, plus a car battery and solar panels to power it and my laptop.

If I'm not at the lake, I will at least try operating from home.

If anyone would like to try and work my big, beefy one watt signal...

NQ6U
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Will you be working PSK-31?

N2CHX
08-27-2013, 06:20 AM
Will you be working PSK-31?

Most likely. And maybe trying another mode or two.

K7SGJ
08-27-2013, 09:00 AM

ATV QRP?

NQ6U
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM

Let me know what freq you'll be using and I will look for you.

KC2UGV
08-27-2013, 12:09 PM
I'll be making lots of noise on 145.010 MHz. Maybe, I'll get some PSK work too. I'll try working ya Kelli. Which freqs will you be hanging out on?

WØTKX
08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
^^^ Smackit with packet?

N2CHX
08-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Scratch it. The si570 chip became flaky as hell and I lost patience with it. No QSO's for me anytime soon.

NQ6U
08-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Scratch it. The si570 chip became flaky as hell and I lost patience with it. No QSO's for me anytime soon.

Check your solder joints. It took me about ten tries to get it right on mine.

KC2UGV
08-27-2013, 08:47 PM

Heat sink it?

N2CHX
08-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Heat sink it?

No, it's just done. I'm done. Lost patience with it. It went on to a better place.

N2CHX
08-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Check your solder joints. It took me about ten tries to get it right on mine.

I did. Many times over. In fact, checking the solder joints yet again is what finally did it in. Re flowed the si570 and soon after, a couple of transistors went poof. I used lead-free solder, so repairs, so I have found out, are damn near impossible with that PC board.

Bubba
08-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Don’t give up !!

W5BRM
08-29-2013, 08:09 AM
I was looking around online and I found this kit. It's a SDR radio. http://www.genesisradio.com.au .. I don't know if you are interested in that sort of thing but i thought I would drop the linky anyway;

It has the SMT stuff already premounted so you don't have to play with it. Looks like an interesting kit to build. More complex then then the kit you were working on but it also has a bunch more options.

The G11 is a "hybrid kit": for your convenience, all the difficult to solder SMT components (over 600 of them!) are factory pre-assembled. Your task is to assemble 50-60 large trough-hole components and to wound a bunch of toroids. The entire assembly takes 8 hours.

Kit also has a case and other stuff. It can be ordered in the US from http://www.greenmountainradio.com/G11/order.html

WØTKX
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Interesting kit. But it's likely to not be considered a solution for Kelli. At that price point, she could find a decent enough used rig.

W5BRM
08-29-2013, 10:24 AM
I agree. I was thinking of her earlier comment about enjoying kit building

N2CHX
08-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Cool box. I've already got something new in the works but it's going to take a while to get it completed.

W3WN
09-01-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, if anyone is up for a voice sked on Labor Day, I'm game.

WX7P
09-01-2013, 09:02 AM

10-4, Ron.

I should be able to hear you just about on any band

K7SGJ
09-01-2013, 09:22 AM
Cool box. I've already got something new in the works but it's going to take a while to get it completed.

Would this involve an oatmeal box or tuna tin?

NQ6U
09-01-2013, 09:25 AM

I'll give it a try as well. We need to come up with a time.

KG4NEL
09-01-2013, 10:26 AM
160 meters, daytime.

N2CHX
09-01-2013, 10:31 AM
Would this involve an oatmeal box or tuna tin?

Nope :)

K7SGJ
09-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Nope :)

Is it bigger than a bread box? I have no idea how big a fuckin bread box is.

NQ6U
09-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Does it fit in an Altoids tin?

N2CHX
09-01-2013, 01:22 PM

Does it fit in an Altoids tin?

lol nope and nope.

Bubba
09-01-2013, 04:46 PM

Yes Ron. Let me know time and place... lol . How about time and frequency ..

W7XF
09-02-2013, 05:00 AM
If the storms stay away, I'm game

W3WN
09-02-2013, 02:24 PM
Eh.

I slept in, then went to the store for some stuff. Making a nice pasta sauce for dinner... Lucy is happy, since I accidentally dropped a pan of hamburger on the floor. She got a pound or so of cooked beef, I got a kitchen floor covered in grease to clean up (luckily, I had more burger in the freezer). So I haven't even gotten down to the shack until a few minutes ago.

Guess it's not going to be today. We're not exactly organized... but that's ok with this group.

Maybe on T-day?

N2CHX
09-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Eh.

I slept in, then went to the store for some stuff. Making a nice pasta sauce for dinner... Lucy is happy, since I accidentally dropped a pan of hamburger on the floor. She got a pound or so of cooked beef, I got a kitchen floor covered in grease to clean up (luckily, I had more burger in the freezer). So I haven't even gotten down to the shack until a few minutes ago.

Guess it's not going to be today. We're not exactly organized... but that's ok with this group.

Maybe on T-day?

That sucks, but by Thanksgiving I should have CW, data and voice capability on 20, 30 and 40 meters.

N8YX
09-02-2013, 04:21 PM
I spent the entire weekend underneath one of those pop-up sun shade/tent contraptions, working on one of my Valkyries. A simple project: Install the last known NOS set of Hondaline foglights into the bike's radiator side pods, install a switch box for accessory power control then find and fix a fuel leak which mysteriously developed.

Of course, making the driving light switch connections required disassembly of the entire ^$%$#ing fairing and the fabrication of several new sub-harnesses, all of which must seamlessly integrate into the OEM harness. Then there was the matter of the switch block itself: I had to redo one of the existing switches to fit a SPDT-center-off type and this (of course...) required yet another harness built from scratch.

Bottom line: It was too hot to work outside for very long and what should have taken just a day took three. Thus, very little radio and 'puter time was spent.

KB3LAZ
09-04-2013, 08:54 PM

Big enough to hold a loaf of bread.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Big enough to hold a loaf of bread.

Well, if the breadbox is for a baguette of French bread, you could build a 5KW rig in it. Some of those things seem like they are a block long.

KB3LAZ
09-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Well, if the breadbox is for a baguette of French bread, you could build a 5KW rig in it. Some of those things seem like they are a block long.

That's nothing. Check this out. I had a bit much to drink in this picture but all is well. :P

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
That's nothing. Check this out. I had a bit much to drink in this picture but all is well. :P

Okay, well there you go. How big a breadbox would that require? Jesus, that thing would feed all of Bangladesh for a month.

KB3LAZ
09-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Okay, well there you go. How big a breadbox would that require? Jesus, that thing would feed all of Bangladesh for a month.

That is a normal loaf too. They sell them for parties about three times that size. For the life of me I can't remember what the name of the bread is. I'll have to ask Pili. What I can tell you is that they are heavy loaves of bread. I could use them to build a fort.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:11 PM
That is a normal loaf too. They sell them for parties about three times that size. For the life of me I can't remember what the name of the bread is. I'll have to ask Pili. What I can tell you is that they are heavy loaves of bread. I could use them to build a fort.

You can bet Bloomberg would outlaw those badboys in a heartbeat.

KB3LAZ
09-04-2013, 09:20 PM
You can bet Bloomberg would outlaw those badboys in a heartbeat.

No doubt. He would have a fit over our homemade Paella then. Requires 4 people to carry it from the burner outside to the table. It is 100cm but that is for parties. On weekends we only use 50cm pans. Normally we use around 3 kilos of rice, 1 kilo of rabbit, and 1 kilo of chicken. Veggies and other items might come out to a kilo on their own. Then again, we are serving 20 people most of the time. Still small when compared to a fiesta sized Paella pan. xD Spaniards sure love their lunch.

We have grilled shrimp, shrimp cocktail, Jamon, Cheese, olives, Russian salad, Mussels, and that is about it most of the time. Cake and coffee normally follows. That is a normal Sunday afternoon. Interestingly I have lost weight since getting here rather than gaining it.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:54 PM
No doubt. He would have a fit over our homemade Paella then. Requires 4 people to carry it from the burner outside to the table. It is 100cm but that is for parties. On weekends we only use 50cm pans. Normally we use around 3 kilos of rice, 1 kilo of rabbit, and 1 kilo of chicken. Veggies and other items might come out to a kilo on their own. Then again, we are serving 20 people most of the time. Still small when compared to a fiesta sized Paella pan. xD Spaniards sure love their lunch.

We have grilled shrimp, shrimp cocktail, Jamon, Cheese, olives, Russian salad, Mussels, and that is about it most of the time. Cake and coffee normally follows. That is a normal Sunday afternoon. Interestingly I have lost weight since getting here rather than gaining it.

I'm sure you have dropped a size or two. Totting that much grub from outside to inside every day is a hell of a work out, Plus, I'm sure you go out and chase down the rabbits on foot, right? :stickpoke:

KB3LAZ
09-05-2013, 05:30 AM
I'm sure you have dropped a size or two. Totting that much grub from outside to inside every day is a hell of a work out, Plus, I'm sure you go out and chase down the rabbits on foot, right? :stickpoke:

No. :P