PDA

View Full Version : Hamming Guam...

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 02:17 AM
Story actually starts at 26:29

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbF3GeeO28&feature=share&list=UUxqXFK9ETC 5CWEdDD-_HpqA

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 02:21 AM
He said the island is 32 miles long, and miles wide, and has a population of 175,000 - thats like 683 people per square mile.

Bubba
08-26-2013, 04:48 AM
I’m not going to comment. But I would appreciate if you removed this posting as inappropriate..

W3WN
08-26-2013, 07:16 AM
I've seen the "Ham Radio Now" guys do interviews like this at Hamvention, on & off for years. Never struck me as Walter Conkrite, or even Dan Rathers. (More like Dan Ingram)

At least it appears that KH2JU actually lives on Guam. Unlike so many who hold KH2 & KH0 calls but don't actually live there...

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 08:25 AM
Not sure why this was objectionable. The guy seemed honest and personable, and didn't hear anything that would be even slightly controversial. Nice Ham.

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 01:11 PM
I’m not going to comment. But I would appreciate if you removed this posting as inappropriate..

Why is it inappropriate?

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 01:12 PM
I've seen the "Ham Radio Now" guys do interviews like this at Hamvention, on & off for years. Never struck me as Walter Conkrite, or even Dan Rathers. (More like Dan Ingram)

Yeah, this was a "suggested" video from YouTube based on previous watched videos. Needless to say their show is less than entertaining for me.

W4GPL
08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
What's wrong with it?

NQ6U
08-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Inappropriate? Worst thing I can say about it is that it's a little on the boring side.

koØm
08-26-2013, 02:12 PM

What, the 30:45 minute point or the 39:04 through 39:20 point ?

ETA: Went to Google Earth, the highest point above sea level is 913 feet, I see some place on a terrace 15 ft above sea level jutting into the ocean. Does the river that feeds that reservoir start in the mountains feed by rain or, are the any sources like natural springs or wells that feed the water table ?

Looks like a nice vacation spot but, one person sneezes on the east side of the island and somebody on the west side would catch a cold (if not for Mount Tenjo).

Bubba
08-26-2013, 03:26 PM
What's wrong with it?

Look up WH2DX. This guy doesn’t live on Guam he runs a ham DX business out of a Guam property. Not saying any more than that. Prices are listed on the website, but I’’ll cut you guys a deal and will rent my place for half his prices... lol....

NQ6U
08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
The ULS shows WH2DX as a club call for the Palm Tree DX Club, Barrigada, Guam.

W3WN
08-26-2013, 04:46 PM
Look up WH2DX. This guy doesn’t live on Guam he runs a ham DX business out of a Guam property. Not saying any more than that. Prices are listed on the website, but I’’ll cut you guys a deal and will rent my place for half his prices... lol....OK, I'll admit that I bailed out of this twice; first cut to the interview with KH2JU, then gave up on it after a couple of minutes. In a word: boring.

That said, there is a GU address shown with that call. Now, if it's the rental property you mention... that explains a lot. And I think I understand your unhappiness Dave.

For everyone else's benefit: I've referred before to Jim KH2D (Now KH2D/W4) who used to run one of the DX email reflectors. He would complain, long, loud, and bitterly, about non-US hams (mainly JA but not exclusively) who had absconded with the bulk of the 2x1 and many prize 2x2 calls for Guam (KH2) and the Marianas (KH0). Jim made many allegations that once a few of these guys became VE's, they were testing their friends, all overseas without ever stepping foot in either territory. This was compounded by their using PO boxes or bogus addresses, yet the FCC never (appeared, allegedly) to take action to revoke any of the calls and return them to the general pool for the benefit of those who are living there.

Allegedly, many hams used KG6DX's address without his prior knowledge or permission. Amongst others.

This was compounded by many DX/Contest clubs that also hold KH2 & KH0 calls. Allegedly (I say that because I have no first-hand knowledge, and I'm also relying on memory for what Jim had said), these guys would fly in for a weekend, work a major contest, and leave. And not bother with little things, like leaving a forwarding address with the KH2/KH0 incoming QSL bureaus, leaving the locals to deal with the repercussions.

There were also a few stories of local hams trying to socialize with these characters, and being rebuffed (nicely or rudely). Or locals asking if they could join these clubs & operate during the contests, also to be rebuffed.

In short, Jim indicated that there were a lot of hard feelings.

And Dave? If I had the shekels to spare, I'd take you up on that offer. Maybe one day.

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 04:53 PM
Sooooo everyone is bitter because some dude rents out his address, and some calls were utilized, and someone was talked to in a rude manner?

Sounds a lot like the playground argument of "we'll if I can't play ill take my toys and go home."

i choose to view this for what it is. A boring yet internal look at hamming on Guam. I learned a bit about the times that he can work particular portions of the earth, and a few other things. I don't care what he does with his personal address, that's not for me to judge.

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 05:39 PM
I'd still be worried about the brown Tree Snakes there.

And don't piss off a Coconut Crab! He can chop U in two!

(probably not as badass as the Pit Bulls!)

W3WN
08-26-2013, 07:26 PM
Sooooo everyone is bitter because some dude rents out his address, and some calls were utilized, and someone was talked to in a rude manner?
< snip >That's a vast oversimplification of what I said.

WX7P
08-26-2013, 08:00 PM
OK, I'll admit that I bailed out of this twice; first cut to the interview with KH2JU, then gave up on it after a couple of minutes. In a word: boring.

That said, there is a GU address shown with that call. Now, if it's the rental property you mention... that explains a lot. And I think I understand your unhappiness Dave.

For everyone else's benefit: I've referred before to Jim KH2D (Now KH2D/W4) who used to run one of the DX email reflectors. He would complain, long, loud, and bitterly, about non-US hams (mainly JA but not exclusively) who had absconded with the bulk of the 2x1 and many prize 2x2 calls for Guam (KH2) and the Marianas (KH0). Jim made many allegations that once a few of these guys became VE's, they were testing their friends, all overseas without ever stepping foot in either territory. This was compounded by their using PO boxes or bogus addresses, yet the FCC never (appeared, allegedly) to take action to revoke any of the calls and return them to the general pool for the benefit of those who are living there.

Allegedly, many hams used KG6DX's address without his prior knowledge or permission. Amongst others.

This was compounded by many DX/Contest clubs that also hold KH2 & KH0 calls. Allegedly (I say that because I have no first-hand knowledge, and I'm also relying on memory for what Jim had said), these guys would fly in for a weekend, work a major contest, and leave. And not bother with little things, like leaving a forwarding address with the KH2/KH0 incoming QSL bureaus, leaving the locals to deal with the repercussions.

There were also a few stories of local hams trying to socialize with these characters, and being rebuffed (nicely or rudely). Or locals asking if they could join these clubs & operate during the contests, also to be rebuffed.

In short, Jim indicated that there were a lot of hard feelings.

And Dave? If I had the shekels to spare, I'd take you up on that offer. Maybe one day.

The callsign poaching thing has been a constant complaint from day one of the vanity callsign program.

There were a lot of JA's who poached 2x1 6 calls in the early days, along with the bozos who set up multiple "clubs" to corral 1x2 W6 calls. I really wasn't paying any attention to KH2, but I'm not surprised that happened there as well. There were many in your call district that were pissed that the 4's grabbed available 1x2 3 calls.

I think the big sin here is the contest people not allowing the locals to participate, especially if the contesters weren't around much except for contests. That's kind of weak. I'm getting vetted here for the K9CT contest station and I won't see an operating position until I "prove" myself, at least I have a chance to use the station at some point for some of the minor contests like the JA intl dx contest. The only reason I got a foot in the door was working the club station in Bloomington and picking up 65% of the points for the local club. It doesn't help to not be an ace CW op, but that's life. They could have told me to completely fuck off, which they haven't done, so I can ignore some of the ego issues.

Chris: I think it's more complicated than "I'll take my toys and go home". The contest types are serious, I know, I've worked a few phone contests with some of the serious types. I probably still have the bruises on my head from W6REC smacking my head every time I said "ok" in a contest exchange. Time wasting, you know. Duane was actually correct, even though he was a bit unpolished in his delivery. I learned a lot about operating from those guys and learned to ignore the ego silliness.

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Chris: I think it's more complicated than "I'll take my toys and go home". The contest types are serious, I know, I've worked a few phone contests with some of the serious types. I probably still have the bruises on my head from W6REC smacking my head every time I said "ok" in a contest exchange. Time wasting, you know. Duane was actually correct, even though he was a bit unpolished in his delivery. I learned a lot about operating from those guys and learned to ignore the ego silliness.

Why do people take things like contests and calls so seriously? It's not life or death surgery or anything.

Whats REALLY going to happen if you say "ok" in a contest? Will you be shunned forever and forced to live under a bridge?

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 08:35 PM
Why do people take things like contests and calls so seriously? It's not life or death surgery or anything.

Whats REALLY going to happen if you say "ok" in a contest? Will you be shunned forever and forced to live under a bridge?

I hope you're lucky enough to have an Elmer like some of us had. A no bullshit approach, it teaches you a lot.

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 08:39 PM

It's like many other things in life. Some players must win at all costs; and, fuck you and the horse you rode in on if you don't like it. I don't see how these types can really enjoy the hobby, and most likely they don't. Lots of power, lots of antennas, lots of money. Like shooting fish in a barrel. These are usually the ones that don't play by the rules, anyway. Of course, there are a majority that do enjoy the competition, but who do it for fun. It's also a chance to get together with your buds, tip a few, and have fun. Many look at it like golfers who try to better their last scores, and doing so is only important to themselves.

That's why contests have not been all that important to me, other than to have a lot of people in a lot of places verify my radios and antennas are working, and that my signal is a 5x9 anywhere on the planet. Then again, I could be full of shit, too.

WX7P
08-26-2013, 08:39 PM

It's the human condition. It's competition. It's about taking a skill and perfecting it. I don't see a real problem with that.

I really enjoy contesting. It tests my skill as an operator, and tells me how well my antennas are resonating. Since most rag chew hams have nothing to say really, I'll take the contacts I get contesting. Ham radio on the air is way different than the intertubes. It's amazing how hams clam up on the air, but go nutz on the intertubes.

The callsign thing is more important to some older hams. I had W6PV for awhile because I had been in the hobby for 13 years and thought I really needed a 1x2 callsign. If I had it over again, I would have kept my original 2x1, WX7P that was issued in 1989. Granted, the callsign thing is a bigger deal than it should be, but it's still a big deal.

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
I could be full of shit, too.

Please, don't cut yourself short on this one.

KG4NEL
08-26-2013, 08:49 PM
It's like many other things in life. Some players must win at all costs; and, fuck you and the horse you rode in on if you don't like it. I don't see how these types can really enjoy the hobby, and most likely they don't. Lots of power, lots of antennas, lots of money. Like shooting fish in a barrel. These are usually the ones that don't play by the rules, anyway. Of course, there are a majority that do enjoy the competition, but who do it for fun. It's also a chance to get together with your buds, tip a few, and have fun. Many look at it like golfers who try to better their last scores, and doing so is only important to themselves.

That's why contests have not been all that important to me, other than to have a lot of people in a lot of places verify my radios and antennas are working, and that my signal is a 5x9 anywhere on the planet. Then again, I could be full of shit, too.

I tend to have a competitive streak across many disciplines, but I realize I'm not going to be world-class in any of them. If I took things that seriously, I wouldn't enjoy the whole spectrum as much as I do.

As for callsigns, I don't know - I think people my age and younger aren't going to think the same thing because we're coming along after most of the 2x1s and 1x2s have already been assigned. Personally, I would think it's weird to have the call of an SK if I didn't know them very well or they were a family member. I figure if there are all those DX stations that do really well in 'tests with 2x3s...

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 08:54 PM
A few years ago I saw that my neighbours (for you Eddie) "SK" callsign was snatched up by someone in Tampa, I emailed him to let him know who's callsign he got, he was appreciative to have a little history of his call.

Bubba
08-26-2013, 11:42 PM

Sounds a lot like the playground argument of "we'll if I can't play ill take my toys and go home."

i choose to view this for what it is. A boring yet internal look at hamming on Guam. I learned a bit about the times that he can work particular portions of the earth, and a few other things. I don't care what he does with his personal address, that's not for me to judge.

Chris, you’re a great guy, buy grossly uneducated when it comes to ham contesting and politics on HF Contest. I recommend that you get a HF rig before diving too deep in contesting politics. And Ron pretty much summed it up except for some details. But lets just say this operation is far from amateur.

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Chris, you’re a great guy, buy grossly uneducated when it comes to ham contesting and politics on HF Contest. I recommend that you get a HF rig before diving too deep in contesting politics. And Ron pretty much summed it up except for some details. But lets just say this operation is far from amateur.

BINGO

K9CCH
08-27-2013, 12:46 AM

What kind of education do I need, to know that politics aren't fun in ANY hobby? It seems stupid to enter something for the FUN of it, and then stress yourself out over something as stupid as politics. Doesn't that nullify the whole point of a hobby to begin with?

Being competitive and trying to better your skill is one thing. But allowing it to completely ruin your happiness is totally another... And that goes for amateur radio, photography, or raising chickens!

Bubba
08-27-2013, 03:46 AM
What kind of education do I need, to know that politics aren't fun in ANY hobby? It seems stupid to enter something for the FUN of it, and then stress yourself out over something as stupid as politics. Doesn't that nullify the whole point of a hobby to begin with?

Being competitive and trying to better your skill is one thing. But allowing it to completely ruin your happiness is totally another... And that goes for amateur radio, photography, or raising chickens!

I agree with you. Everything except the chickens. Thats serious competition.. :-D

W3WN
08-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Whats REALLY going to happen if you say "ok" in a contest? Will you be shunned forever and forced to live under a bridge?To some of the so-called self-appointed elite, top echelon contesters... yes, it is the equivalent of life or death to them.

I like the competitive nature of contests. But not the antics of a relatively small handful of contesters, who have let their egos push the boundaries (IMHO) to extreme measures.

But that's another topic for another thread.

W3WN
08-27-2013, 06:52 AM

Being competitive and trying to better your skill is one thing. But allowing it to completely ruin your happiness is totally another... And that goes for amateur radio, photography, or raising chickens!Some human beings simply can't help themselves. They get so caught up in the competition, and trying to "beat" the other guy, that they lose perspective.

This is the same mentality that, for example, causes prices on some otherwise mundane pieces of radio equipment to be bid up sky-high on certain auction sites. Some (Pat's legendary RB's) simply HAVE to "win" regardless of the cost.

KJ3N
08-27-2013, 07:03 AM
Then again, I could be full of shit, too.

Obvious statement is obvious. :neener: ;)

wa6mhz
08-27-2013, 08:25 AM

They have some really nice PLAQUES you can win if you conquer the contest! They look great on the wall. Some folks go for plaques at ALL COSTS!

I don't cuz I don't have any WALL SPACE!

WØTKX
08-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Competition is fine, up to a point. It quickly becomes all about smacking down "the other" more than just achieving excellence. I've seen the suffering caused by carrying it too far in my two main hobbies; skiing and ham radio. Certainly in the workplace. Certainly in forums.

I prefer the joy of doing something cool, and creativity. Too much measurement and mimetic rivalry spoils the joy.

suddenseer
08-27-2013, 07:57 PM
I will start doing contests when there is money involved. A certificate, I can wipe my umm you know what I can wipe with it. I want $. That's what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W25_jgiY51I

NA4BH
08-27-2013, 08:12 PM

And now you know the history of QRMing.

K7SGJ
08-27-2013, 08:23 PM
I agree with you. Everything except the chickens. Thats serious competition.. :-D

Eggsactly.

Bubba
08-28-2013, 12:48 AM
http://www.wh2dx.com/

Book your tickets now for a discounted price !! lol... Package deals available .

W3WN
08-28-2013, 08:04 AM
http://www.wh2dx.com/

Book your tickets now for a discounted price !! lol... Package deals available .Note that all the major contest dates, and certain significant other contest dates, are blacked out.

Nah. I think I'll pass.

wa6mhz
08-28-2013, 08:27 AM
They just UPPED the price for the major contests, seriously!

But $150/day (or $175 for contest days) isn't really that pricey compared to major Hotels. The Bed looks like a couch though. (but then U will be operating most of the time, LOL!)

I am paying $120/night at the Marriott (plus room tax) and that DOESN'T have radios or antennas!

The major cost would be AIR FARE to Guam and back. Also, don't know how many SPIDERS are in the house, or centipedes. Don't know till U get there.

But I am not a serious contester so I won't be going. But it is a great deal compared to what similar contest QTHs are renting out for down in the Carribean!

W3WN
08-28-2013, 09:37 AM
Ok, yes, I did see that Pat. My fault, I guess I didn't make my point clear.

If you're looking to travel to Guam (or anywhere else) for a vacation, including radio operating... that's one thing. The costs (excluding airfare) are, or at least appear to be, within reason.

That the costs are higher during selected major or regional contests is understandable. If this a true "vacation rent-a-shack", you would think that there is higher demand on those weekends, therefore the costs are higher. I'm fine with that, in principle.

But... this appears to be a contest club that rents out the shack & related building during non-contest weekends. That there is a "price" shown on contest weekends is probably not truly relevant, because I'm sure the owners (ie contest club members) already have the dates reserved, either for the group or for themselves individually... so if one is thinking of taking a trip to Guam to rack up some contest Q's, fuhgeddaboutit, at least from this shack.

KJ3N
08-28-2013, 12:08 PM
If I'm vacationing on Guam, the last thing I'm thinking about is ham radio. :roll:

Bubba
08-28-2013, 03:30 PM
Ok, yes, I did see that Pat. My fault, I guess I didn't make my point clear.

If you're looking to travel to Guam (or anywhere else) for a vacation, including radio operating... that's one thing. The costs (excluding airfare) are, or at least appear to be, within reason.

That the costs are higher during selected major or regional contests is understandable. If this a true "vacation rent-a-shack", you would think that there is higher demand on those weekends, therefore the costs are higher. I'm fine with that, in principle.

But... this appears to be a contest club that rents out the shack & related building during non-contest weekends. That there is a "price" shown on contest weekends is probably not truly relevant, because I'm sure the owners (ie contest club members) already have the dates reserved, either for the group or for themselves individually... so if one is thinking of taking a trip to Guam to rack up some contest Q's, fuhgeddaboutit, at least from this shack.

That contest club is you !! IE, whoever rents the place is “ the club member”. There is no such amateur club on Guam. There is only one, and thats not it. He lives in Vegas or Florida, I forget. Its a for profit business. I find the whole thing to be ridiculous and possibly illegal. Is it legal to run a for profit business in amateur radio ? That should have been the title of this thread. Can we all turn our stations into for profit businesses ? I thought not, but I don’t know. Not the expert here...

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 03:43 PM
That contest club is you !! IE, whoever rents the place is “ the club member”. There is no such amateur club on Guam. There is only one, and thats not it. He lives in Vegas or Florida, I forget. Its a for profit business. I find the whole thing to be ridiculous and possibly illegal. Is it legal to run a for profit business in amateur radio ? That should have been the title of this thread. Can we all turn our stations into for profit businesses ? I thought not, but I don’t know. Not the expert here...

If he is making money renting out his place and radios to a licensed amateur, no, that is not illegal. There are a lot of people that rent out completely "furnished" palaces for hams. Remember, it's not the radio that is licensed, it is the operator. It certainly isn't something I'd spend my $$ on, but I guess some people just have too much money, including hams.

wa6mhz
08-28-2013, 03:46 PM
Here is a similar outfit in Curacao. Much higher level though.
http://www.pj2t.org/ccc/default.htm

It goes for $1300 a week!
\(plus plenty of other charges)

Bubba
08-28-2013, 04:09 PM
If he is making money renting out his place and radios to a licensed amateur, no, that is not illegal. There are a lot of people that rent out completely "furnished" palaces for hams. Remember, it's not the radio that is licensed, it is the operator. It certainly isn't something I'd spend my $$ on, but I guess some people just have too much money, including hams.

Rat,

You can come to my place anytime, I even have a pool and live in a much less dangerous neighborhood !! And,, You can see Russia from my house . Lol.

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Rat,

You can come to my place anytime, I even have a pool and live in a much less dangerous neighborhood !! And,, You can see Russia from my house . Lol.

Thanks for the offer. If I ever get near the rock, I will definitely stop by, however I can guarantee you, I'd be way too busy with seeing the sights and clicking the camera to worry about radio.

Aloha Nui Loa

W3WN
08-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Rat,

You can come to my place anytime, I even have a pool and live in a much less dangerous neighborhood !! And,, You can see Russia from my house . Lol.One of these days, I am going to figure out a way to take you up on that offer.

K9CCH
08-28-2013, 09:15 PM
One of these days, I am going to figure out a way to take you up on that offer.

I wonder if we can get a group rate on air fare?

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 09:24 PM
I wonder if we can get a group rate on air fare?

Probably on a Cessna 152.

K9CCH
08-28-2013, 09:33 PM
What the range on that thing?

NQ6U
08-28-2013, 09:38 PM

Significantly less than the shortest over-water jump on the way to Guam.

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 09:39 PM

500 + miles in good sky.

NQ6U
08-28-2013, 09:40 PM
500 + miles in good sky.

Can't remember if I ever got the one I used to fly to go that far. If I did, there probably wasn't a lot of fuel in the tank by the time the fuel truck showed up.

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
But you can get them with pontoons and an oar, but don't expect her to row much.

NA4BH
08-28-2013, 10:12 PM
But you can get them with pontoons and an oar, but don't expect her to row much.

Not a bloody oar. No way.

Bubba
08-28-2013, 11:21 PM
All you have to do is be like Amelia Earhart and just get close. We’ll find you...

NA4BH
08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
All you have to do is be like Amelia Earhart and just get close. We’ll find you...

That's as in trust me, right? :rofl: :rofl:

kb2vxa
08-29-2013, 08:07 AM
But first you've got to get the pontaloons off the oar before you can use her. I know what Amelworm looks like but what's an Earheart? No wonder they couldn't find her.

WØTKX
08-29-2013, 09:27 AM
There was this one time, on Guam Island, a ham radio operator got two call signs.

Then started a net to pass traffic between these two call signs.

:shifty:

K7SGJ
08-29-2013, 09:32 AM
There was this one time, on Guam Island, a ham radio operator got two call signs.
And started a net to pass traffic between these two call signs.

:shifty:

Schizonet?

WØTKX
08-29-2013, 09:39 AM
Fappish Hambot.

W7XF
08-29-2013, 10:59 PM

Hello.

I can probably get a group rate for you on my pink, APU-equipped Bell 47.

However, it will probably not get off the ground with all the tacos i need to make the gas required to get to Guam.

And I still want a taco!

:rofl: :rofl: :werd:

W3WN
08-30-2013, 10:24 AM

Then started a net to pass traffic between these two call signs.

:shifty:You're channeling American Pie again. Specifically the Band Camp girl.

You know that you can get help for that, right?

K9CCH
09-02-2013, 06:16 AM
You're channeling American Pie again. Specifically the Band Camp girl.

You know that you can get help for that, right?

If I remember correctly, that scene in American Pie ended with a flute in the heiny.

I wouldn't suggest you borrow his mic.

W3WN
09-02-2013, 02:05 PM
If I remember correctly... flute, yes... heiny, ah, no; close, but not quite. And no way am I borrowing his mic!