PDA

View Full Version : More HOA ridiculousness....

K9CCH
08-25-2013, 05:25 AM
I made sure to tell my realtor NO HOA'S in big bright bold letters when I gave her my list of things I wanted in a house. This would be an example of why.

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Sidewalk-chalk-leads-to-HOA-dispute-in-small-Texas-town-220906751.html (http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/Sidewalk-chalk-leads-to-HOA-dispute-in-small-Texas-town-220906751.html)

suddenseer
08-25-2013, 09:09 AM
HOA's hate amateur radio antennas. I do not understand this.

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 09:18 AM
I use to live at a good one. I put an antenna up in the vacant lot next door, and they made me build a house. :stirpot:

WX7P
08-25-2013, 10:03 AM
It really depends on the development.

It's the CCR (Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions) you have to fear, not so much the HOA, unless they are active.

The age of the development makes a huge difference. My old abode in Sacramento had really restrictive CCR's regarding antennas, color of houses etc. But the area was developed in 1989. There hasn't been an active homeowner's association there since the late 90's. My house looked like the Russian Embassy in SF with all the antennas, but no one said diddly. Dude across the street let his lawn die, which was a violation, but since there was no enforcement authority, nothing happened.

Newer houses are a different story. They usually have active HOA boards and there's usually some biddy on the board with nothing better to do than troll the neighborhood looking for violations.

suddenseer
08-25-2013, 10:20 AM
My departed in laws lived in an HOA house with all of the restrictions. They had an old hag on an electric scooter who daily looked for violations.

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 10:43 AM
My departed in laws lived in an HOA house with all of the restrictions. They had an old hag on an electric scooter who daily looked for violations.

Sounds like a job for a set stopsticks.

KG4NEL
08-25-2013, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a job for a set stopsticks.

Non-pneumatic rubber tires can be a problem :mrgreen:

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 10:49 AM
Sounds like a job for claymores.

KC2UGV
08-25-2013, 02:06 PM
I'm glad I had a realtor who is a ham help find me a place. But, then again, living in the city proper, I don't think we have any HOA's. The closest is the Elmwood Village Association, and they have no enforcement power, but they make sure lots of voices show up at the pertinent permitting hearings.

WØTKX
08-25-2013, 02:18 PM
http://www.intracoastalrealty.com/Portals/0/images/Blog/2010%2F10%2Fcartoon-HOA-low.jpg

http://bizarrocomics.com/files/uploads/2012/10/bz-panel-09-28-12.jpg

kb2vxa
08-25-2013, 07:18 PM
"Neighbors were planning to have the kids decorate all the sidewalks and driveways this weekend."

Sounds like a plan! Then there are THESE guys: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/3d-sidwalk-art-that-will_n_478649.html#s71257title=Rocky_Road

K9CCH
08-25-2013, 07:23 PM
It really depends on the development.

It's the CCR (Conditions, Covenants and Restrictions) you have to fear, not so much the HOA, unless they are active.

The age of the development makes a huge difference. My old abode in Sacramento had really restrictive CCR's regarding antennas, color of houses etc. But the area was developed in 1989. There hasn't been an active homeowner's association there since the late 90's. My house looked like the Russian Embassy in SF with all the antennas, but no one said diddly. Dude across the street let his lawn die, which was a violation, but since there was no enforcement authority, nothing happened.

Newer houses are a different story. They usually have active HOA boards and there's usually some biddy on the board with nothing better to do than troll the neighborhood looking for violations.

They day someone pays my mortgage, is the day they can tell me what I can/cannot do with it. Until then, they can sit on it and rotate.

KC2UGV
08-25-2013, 07:48 PM
They day someone pays my mortgage, is the day they can tell me what I can/cannot do with it. Until then, they can sit on it and rotate.

More or less, same here.

Some realtors get pissed when you say,"So, basically, you want me to pay a mortgage, for the privilege of renting an apartment?" Then, they enter into a diatribe about how an HOA fee isn't a rental payment.

Then, I ask,"What happens if I don't pay my HOA fee, even if I paid cash for the property? Don't I get evicted?"

"Well, yeah, duh."

"So, how is this different from rent again?"

W3WN
08-26-2013, 07:38 AM
"Neighbors were planning to have the kids decorate all the sidewalks and driveways this weekend."

Sounds like a plan! Then there are THESE guys: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/01/3d-sidwalk-art-that-will_n_478649.html#s71257title=Rocky_Road
Nice! Very nice!

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 09:46 AM
"if we don't make CC&Rs and HOAs, ALL HOUSES will look like THIS!!!!!"

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8121/8671256385_b8a2385fcf_c.jpg

W3WN
08-26-2013, 09:49 AM

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8121/8671256385_b8a2385fcf_c.jpgAnd your point is?

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 09:51 AM
I see some WASTED SPACE on the West Tower!

KG4NEL
08-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I like antennas, don't get me wrong - but even that would be too much for me to come home to.

KG4CGC
08-26-2013, 11:26 AM
More or less, same here.

Some realtors get pissed when you say,"So, basically, you want me to pay a mortgage, for the privilege of renting an apartment?" Then, they enter into a diatribe about how an HOA fee isn't a rental payment.

Then, I ask,"What happens if I don't pay my HOA fee, even if I paid cash for the property? Don't I get evicted?"

"Well, yeah, duh."

"So, how is this different from rent again?"

I stole this. Sorry.

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
I like antennas, don't get me wrong - but even that would be too much for me to come home to.

Probably not so bad if it's dark out.

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 01:14 PM

So long as I'm paying the mortgage on that roof space, if I want to put an oversize model of Glenda the good fucking witch, I will!!

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 02:21 PM
So long as I'm paying the mortgage on that roof space, if I want to put an oversize model of Glenda the good fucking witch, I will!!

Some asshole would try to steal her, unless you use a warlock, of course. Perhaps this thread should rest a spell while I figure out how to post it in.........hex.

KG4NEL
08-26-2013, 07:10 PM
And your little dog too...:evil:

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 07:39 PM
Hahahahahahahaha! Reminds me of my next door neighbor. Well, he is sort of my next door neighbor. He owns the house but no one lives in it. He lives with his Mom across the street... Anyway, one day a couple of years ago my girls chalked the sidewalk... I mean the WHOLE sidewalk, up and down the street. Mr. Uptighty didn't like it, so he washed it off with his garden hose and in the process, made sure to soak my daughter's brand new white sneakers which she stupidly had left on the sidewalk in front of our house a few feet from the property line. He got mud all over them. By the time I noticed this, he had retreated to an undisclosed location. I went looking for him to give him a piece of my mind. Didn't answer the door next door. Didn't answer the door at Mom's house. So since he wouldn't allow me confront him directly, I decided to deliver my message another way...

In the middle of the night I dressed all in black, went out with a piece of sidewalk chalk and drew a humongous penis complete with a set of hairy balls, pointed straight up the walk to his front door, with the caption in 18 inch letters, "DON'T BE A DICK".

Yes, I really did this, and the reaction was epic. His mother was at my door the next morning. I of course, just acted innocent. They had their chance for civil discussion about the matter. She went to every house in the neighborhood to try and find out what awful person "drew that horrid thing on my son's walk." The entire neighborhood knew, but no one was telling, because they've treated everyone in the neighborhood like shit at one time or another.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 09:21 AM
Hahahahahahahaha! Reminds me of my next door neighbor. Well, he is sort of my next door neighbor. He owns the house but no one lives in it. He lives with his Mom across the street... Anyway, one day a couple of years ago my girls chalked the sidewalk... I mean the WHOLE sidewalk, up and down the street. Mr. Uptighty didn't like it, so he washed it off with his garden hose and in the process, made sure to soak my daughter's brand new white sneakers which she stupidly had left on the sidewalk in front of our house a few feet from the property line. He got mud all over them. By the time I noticed this, he had retreated to an undisclosed location. I went looking for him to give him a piece of my mind. Didn't answer the door next door. Didn't answer the door at Mom's house. So since he wouldn't allow me confront him directly, I decided to deliver my message another way...

In the middle of the night I dressed all in black, went out with a piece of sidewalk chalk and drew a humongous penis complete with a set of hairy balls, pointed straight up the walk to his front door, with the caption in 18 inch letters, "DON'T BE A DICK".

Yes, I really did this, and the reaction was epic. His mother was at my door the next morning. I of course, just acted innocent. They had their chance for civil discussion about the matter. She went to every house in the neighborhood to try and find out what awful person "drew that horrid thing on my son's walk." The entire neighborhood knew, but no one was telling, because they've treated everyone in the neighborhood like shit at one time or another.

We had a few dicks around here like that. This one guy would throw a hissy fit if a kid so much as accidentally stepped one inch on his lawn. He would put out poison to kill neighbors dogs and cats that ventured on his property. Once time I accidentally stepped on his precious lawn and he threatened to call the cops, have me arrested and press trespassing charges if I ever stepped on his lawn again. He also told me that he will poison and dog or cat that comes on his lawn or any part of his property. My Mom thinks that one of her cats was poisoned by him as the cat came from that general direction of his property, went into convulsions and died right there on the sidewalk. We should have had the body tested for toxins. A few months later the woman who lived next door to the bastard pretty much told us that he puts poison out to kill animals that enter his precious space. One night I made up a strong sodium hydroxide solution and I sprayed it on various parts of the lawn. The result ? a lawn with dead spots all over it. Figures if he can poison cats and dogs so I can poison lawns.

WØTKX
08-27-2013, 10:13 AM
House I grew up in was on top of a big hill, that went down through a bunch of backyards. We were verboten to set foot on the lawn of this infamous Mr. B's house, but this stopped us from a huge long sled ride in the winter. We figured it was OK to sled across it, because the snow covered the lawn.

Nope, he called the cops. So we built a big jump to clear the corner of his lawn. He repeatedly tried to build a fence to stop us, but had to get permission from the neighbors to get a permit. They all said no. He tried to sue, and lost. After that, the city cited him for nuisance complaints.

It was great fun catching air over that corner and waving at him, as he'd glare out the window at us. We'd always say "hi Mr. B..." very pleasantly when we saw him outside. He'd swear at us, and parents witnessed it. Got cited again.

Sold his house, and moved away. Nice family moved in, heard about the horrors, and invited everybody over for burgers and dogs.

kb2vxa
08-27-2013, 08:49 PM
"Some asshole would try to steal her, unless you use a warlock, of course."

By all means use a Warlock, NOBODY would so much as look at you sideways. Oh and Kel, you are such a TRIP! (;->)