PDA

View Full Version : Are You a "Two" Sleeper?

KG4CGC
08-24-2013, 01:31 PM
History and Science indicate that before modern lighting, people used to sleep a few hours, wake up for a few and then go back to sleep and later wake up to start their day. Often when people wake up in the middle of the night these days they stress over getting back to sleep when this may indeed be a normal cycle of humans.

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

An English doctor wrote, for example (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/23/opinion/sunday/rethinking-sleep.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0&ref=general=all&src=me), that the ideal time for study and contemplation was between “first sleep” and “second sleep.” Chaucer tells of a character in the Canterbury Tales that goes to bed following her “firste sleep.” And, explaining the reason why working class conceived more children, a doctor from the 1500s reported that they typically had sex after their first sleep.

K9CCH
08-24-2013, 06:06 PM
I sleep best in four hour increments.

Bubba
08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I sleep best when nobody wakes me up. I read this before, and it makes sense. Unfortunately, our society doesn’t match. Since you go to work at 7 am, work till 5pm or later. Then have a few hours at home, then sleep, you don’t have the luxury of sleeping during the day. Some countries allow for that. Mexico, south america.

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 06:11 PM
I have to get up every few hours or I'll be sleeping in a water bed.

Bubba
08-24-2013, 06:12 PM
WTF Rat

suddenseer
08-24-2013, 07:06 PM
I sleep best when nobody wakes me up. I read this before, and it makes sense. Unfortunately, our society doesn’t match. Since you go to work at 7 am, work till 5pm or later. Then have a few hours at home, then sleep, you don’t have the luxury of sleeping during the day. Some countries allow for that. Mexico, south america.I have been to Mexico many times for work. I did not observe the custom of siesta in practice. I was in industrial zones though. I would like to bring it here. it sounds like harmony with human factors engineering.

suddenseer
08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
WTF Rat
Word to the wize: don't f with the ratatatat.

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 08:33 AM
I only get CAT NAPS for sleep. I will wake up at 10, 12, 2, 4 and then get up around 5:30. Everytime I get up, I hafta go WEE WEE, so it is probably a Prostrate issue. Once back to bed, it is hard to fall asleep again, but eventually I pass out; till it is time to wake up again. During the day I am quite exhausted and often konk out at the work desk, which they aren't happy about at all. Wish they would let me have an Afternoon Nap after lunch!

n2ize
08-26-2013, 10:33 AM
History and Science indicate that before modern lighting, people used to sleep a few hours, wake up for a few and then go back to sleep and later wake up to start their day. Often when people wake up in the middle of the night these days they stress over getting back to sleep when this may indeed be a normal cycle of humans.

http://slumberwise.com/science/your-ancestors-didnt-sleep-like-you/

Yes, that is exactly how I sleep these days.. Exactly the way they describe. No need for me to go into detail because they describe my sleep to the tee. I'd just be repeating what they wrote. So I even sleep as they did in the old days. Guess I was born too late.

Only difference is I don;t get a total of 12 hours. More like 6 - 10 hours depending onthe day and what time I have to be up.

W7XF
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
I only get CAT NAPS for sleep. I will wake up at 10, 12, 2, 4 and then get up around 5:30. Everytime I get up, I hafta go WEE WEE, so it is probably a Prostrate issue. Once back to bed, it is hard to fall asleep again, but eventually I pass out; till it is time to wake up again. During the day I am quite exhausted and often konk out at the work desk, which they aren't happy about at all. Wish they would let me have an Afternoon Nap after lunch!

Pat.... this isn't 75 metres.... :stickpoke:

W2NAP
08-26-2013, 02:00 PM
im a night person. i sleep best in daylight hours

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 02:22 PM
im a night person. i sleep best in daylight hours

I would have expected that post from Travalicious.

n2ize
08-26-2013, 07:03 PM
I knew an individual who didn't sleep for a week or more. He was afraid to sleep because "a voice" told him he would die. So he started to stay awake "forever", with massive doses of strong coffee, followed bu No-Doz, followed by cocaine and then amphetamines. Eventually he passed out and hsi employer called his doctor. His doctor gawqve him sedatives which resulted in a nice long rest in the hospital. Last I heard he was functional... taking regular doses of anti-psychotics and living as normal a life as he can

NQ6U
08-26-2013, 07:16 PM
I knew an individual who didn't sleep for a week or more. He was afraid to sleep because "a voice" told him he would die.

Hah, what an idiot. He should do like me and ignore those voices. I listen to the neighbor's dog instead.

KG4NEL
08-26-2013, 07:18 PM

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Hah, what an idiot. He should do like me and ignore those voices. I listen to the neighbor's dog instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JpO2McWFz0

n2ize
08-26-2013, 09:22 PM
Anyone here ever get full blown sleep paralysis ??

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 09:26 PM

I never got the sleep paralysis part of it, but the rest....................well that was a hell of a long time ago. :snicker:

KG4CGC
08-26-2013, 09:41 PM

There was some guy years ago that used to listen to the voices out of a dog's ass. Anyone remember the incident?

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
There was some guy years ago that used to listen to the voices out of a dog's ass. Anyone remember the incident?

They said his fark was worse than his bite.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 02:04 AM

SOS ??

n2ize
08-27-2013, 04:22 AM
I never got the sleep paralysis part of it, but the rest....................well that was a hell of a long time ago. :snicker:

I still get it from time to time, particularly if I am sleeping in a cold room. And it still scares the living crap out of me everytime it happens. Then again, when you work for the Devil you got to expect scary shit every now and then. He enjoys scaring the heck out of his employees.

VK3ZL
08-27-2013, 07:09 AM
I have always taken an hour or so after the midday meal..I always wake up feeling groggy but after a coffee I am usually refreshed and get some of my best work done before the evening...I am always in the shack after sunset and generally head for the cot by 11pm..Get up really early, 5:30 and have breakfast and watch the TV news before starting the day outside...I am a real grumpy bastard though so people generally don't bother me..I hate my fire brigade pager..It usually goes off at the most convenient times...One day I will chuck it into my farm dam out of frustration...Other than all that I am a nice bloke..

Bob..VK3ZL..

KG4NEL
08-27-2013, 08:12 AM

Yeah. She was large and rolled over...

n2ize
08-27-2013, 09:09 AM
Yeah. She was large and rolled over...

^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^ :lol:

w6tmi
08-27-2013, 11:17 AM

I listen to the neighbor's dog too..

It even told me where to bury the bodies.. ;)

WØTKX
08-27-2013, 11:22 AM

http://youtu.be/Qo_FRJ0ye4o

http://youtu.be/Qo_FRJ0ye4o