PDA

View Full Version : Holy sh*t, helicopters and cables don't mix

mw0uzo
08-23-2013, 10:05 AM
These people are very lucky no one was hurt, one of them pulled the cable into the rotors. Wow, first time i've seen that, I almost fell off my chair when the cable snagged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5aMT9MBfZI

KC2UGV
08-23-2013, 10:38 AM
Wow... Saw footage of a similar thing when a rotor struck the ground... Nasty and scary as fuck.

n2ize
08-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Looks like they thew a blade. Why was he coming in so close to the cable ? Or, did they not see it ? in which case it should have been properly spotted. I saw a video of a medevac helicopter taking off from a road. On one side of the road there was an open field on the other side a row of power poles. So they do a straight vertical takeoff and in the process shift too far to the powerline side clip a powerline which damages the rotor and puts the whole ship into a wobble. Luckily they managed to set it down right away in the field right next to the road with little damage and no injury.

KG4NEL
08-23-2013, 03:37 PM
Reminds me of the Chernobyl footage - they were much higher up at the time, unfortunately didn't have similar results...

W3WN
08-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Dayum.

...didn't those guys ever see the end of Die Hard With A Vengance?...

K9CCH
08-23-2013, 05:54 PM
That's called a hostile work environment!!

Wonder how the guy who jumped up and grabbed the cable feels....

Bubba
08-23-2013, 07:45 PM
I watched it about 5 times to see the details. It looks like the guy from inside the helicopter pulled the cable tighter, towards the chopper and that put the cable it the rotors. The cable moved fast before it was out of the way then all of a sudden it was in the way. Does anyone agree.

**** I’m WRONG, bastid. Maybe if I waited till the end of the video to make a comment.....:hittingself:

Bubba
08-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Sorry, it took 10 times i guess for me to see that someone on the ground jumped up and grabbed the cable. That makes more sense anyway. That dude cost a lot of money for a dumb mistake.

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 08:03 PM
I watched it about 5 times to see the details. It looks like the guy from inside the helicopter pulled the cable tighter, towards the chopper and that put the cable it the rotors. The cable moved fast before it was out of the way then all of a sudden it was in the way. Does anyone agree.

**** I’m WRONG, bastid. Maybe if I waited till the end of the video to make a comment.....:hittingself:

Yeah, it looked like the guy on the ground gave it a yank at the wrong time. I have to wonder why the pilot didn't just pull the release and drop the cable prior to landing, if that's what he was trying to do. If not, I'm not sure what the hell they were trying to do at that point. In any case, the pilot was one lucky SOB, and the chopper, well that 'aint going to buff out.

n2ize
08-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Sorry, it took 10 times i guess for me to see that someone on the ground jumped up and grabbed the cable. That makes more sense anyway. That dude cost a lot of money for a dumb mistake.

And nearly got a few people killed. What I still don;t get is, what exactly they were trying to do.

n2ize
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Back in the 1970's there was a helicopter crash right near my neighborhood. The chopper went down on a local highway at rush hour. Luckily no cars were hit. It was a Bell model 47 (no APU) and it was operated by the railroad police to patrol the tracks that run through here. For many years they would pass by here at least 4 times everyday very often just above treetop level over the tracks. On the fateful day they had just passed by when the engine backfired 3 or 4 times and flamed out. The pilot immediately pulled an autorotation and tried to do an emergency landing on the highway. Chances are he would have made it safely. But when the copter was only 20-30 or so feet off the ground the cop on board decided to jump out. That messed up the autorotation and the helicopter tilted and the tail rotor hit an overpass which threw it out of control and into the ground nose end first. The bubble canopy shattered, one of the gas tanks ruptured and the gasspilled over the hot engine and whoosh !! the the aircraft was on fire.. The pilot who was strapped inside could not get out and literally burned to death. The cop who jumped suffered some broken bones but otherwise was okay. Amazingly no cars were struck and nobody else was injured.

Bubba
08-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Nobody gets that. As El Raton said, maybe land, but if that was the case, why have the cable attached ? Maybe, they were not thinking ?

Bubba
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
I do want to make this observation. I am surprised the blades didn’t crack off , seams like it would have been safer. I’m not a helo designer obviously, lol, just seams to me to make more sense. .. Then the chopper would have just come straight down. Instead, it looks like the whole rotor complex just pulled from the fuselage.. That is impressive.

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 09:31 PM
I do want to make this observation. I am surprised the blades didn’t crack off , seams like it would have been safer. I’m not a helo designer obviously, lol, just seams to me to make more sense. .. Then the chopper would have just come straight down. Instead, it looks like the whole rotor complex just pulled from the fuselage.. That is impressive.

I would imagine the designers plan to keep them in the air, and not too worried about them hitting something with the rotor blades. I believe that most modern blades are carbon fiber, light weight but quite strong, and not as brittle as previous materials. I still can't figure what the hell they were doing. The pilot has a release to pull, that allows him to drop the cable, sling, or whatever the payload might be underneath, and perhaps that malfunctioned and they ground crew was trying to get it to release, or trying just to keep it out of the way while he landed. That kind of makes sense to me, because if the cable was stuck, the pilot had no option but to try to land right there and try to fix the problem. Being tethered to it, he sure couldn't go far, and even there risked fouling the line in either the tail rotor or main rotor. I'd be real curious to hear what the final cause of the accident was ruled to be.

In any event, that aluminum fuselage was no match for the cable.

Bubba
08-23-2013, 09:44 PM
I would imagine the designers plan to keep them in the air, and not too worried about them hitting something with the rotor blades. I believe that most modern blades are carbon fiber, light weight but quite strong, and not as brittle as previous materials. I still can't figure what the hell they were doing. The pilot has a release to pull, that allows him to drop the cable, sling, or whatever the payload might be underneath, and perhaps that malfunctioned and they ground crew was trying to get it to release, or trying just to keep it out of the way while he landed. That kind of makes sense to me, because if the cable was stuck, the pilot had no option but to try to land right there and try to fix the problem. Being tethered to it, he sure couldn't go far, and even there risked fouling the line in either the tail rotor or main rotor. I'd be real curious to hear what the final cause of the accident was ruled to be.

I think that makes sense. Maybe in hindsight, he would have been better off to climb and try to pull it out by climbing above the tower, but that would be a hindsight 20/20 call.

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 09:47 PM
I think that makes sense. Maybe in hindsight, he would have been better off to climb and try to pull it out by climbing above the tower, but that would be a hindsight 20/20 call.

Maybe, but if the cable stretched any as he was climbing, and reached a certain end point, it would have likely yanked him into the tower, I don't know.

NA4BH
08-23-2013, 09:49 PM
Maybe, but if the cable stretched any as he was climbing, and reached a certain end point, it would have likely yanked him into the tower, I don't know.

You said YANKED HIM :rofl:

Bubba
08-23-2013, 09:50 PM
Bob, dont get too excited..

K9CCH
08-23-2013, 09:53 PM
You said YANKED HIM :rofl:

Can I watch?

NA4BH
08-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Do you have a corn belt?

K9CCH
08-23-2013, 10:02 PM
Do you have a corn belt?

Why would I need a strap on?

NA4BH
08-23-2013, 10:06 PM
http://www.dimensionsinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Dipstick.jpg

K9CCH
08-23-2013, 10:09 PM
That's a dipstick.

Bubba
08-23-2013, 10:10 PM
omfg here we go

NA4BH
08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
omfg here we go

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and :rofl:

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 10:15 PM
That's a dipstick.

There seems to be more than a few around here lately.

kb2vxa
08-23-2013, 11:54 PM

n2ize
08-24-2013, 04:21 AM
I would imagine the designers plan to keep them in the air, and not too worried about them hitting something with the rotor blades. I believe that most modern blades are carbon fiber, light weight but quite strong, and not as brittle as previous materials.

Rotor blades are still extremely delicate when they are spinning and full tilt (i.e. fast enough to provide adequate lift and motion). Contact with any object while in flight can easily break or snap off a blade immediately regardless of the material from which it is made throwing the whole aircraft into severe instability. The swashplate and rotor mechanism is also quite delicate itself can easily be damaged if it is struck by a solid object or becomes tangled in cable, rope wire, etc. resulting in partial or total loss of collective and/or cyclic control, etc. In this incident it looks to me like the cable strike snapped off 1 of the 4 blades and they suffered a main rotor failure. In this case it looks like the blade holder snapped off right at the hub.

I still can't figure what the hell they were doing. .

So far that seems unanimous. :)

n2ize
08-24-2013, 04:22 AM
omfg here we go

That's the island for ya.

K9CCH
08-24-2013, 04:27 AM
Rotor blades are still extremely delicate when they are spinning and full tilt (i.e. fast enough to provide adequate lift and motion).

Rotor blades are extremely delicate anytime really.

I worked for Air Logistics, now known as Bristow I think, in 2007 as ground support. One of our daily tasks was to clean the aircraft top to bottom. We had to brush the rotor blades with long scrub brushes and soapy water. I was quite surprised to find that they weren't hardened material like I thought they would be.

n2ize
08-24-2013, 04:56 AM

I worked for Air Logistics, now known as Bristow I think, in 2007 as ground support. One of our daily tasks was to clean the aircraft top to bottom. We had to brush the rotor blades with long scrub brushes and soapy water. I was quite surprised to find that they weren't hardened material like I thought they would be.

No they flex to a degree which is actually a good thing. However when spinning at high speed there is a lot of momentum and abrupt contact with an object can (and often will) cause shattering. This was true of wood or metal blades and a true with the new composite materials which they use today. All though the new composite materials offer a lot of advantages, i.e. lighter weight, flexibility yet adequate rigidity, greater strength, quieter and smoother operation, etc. New rotor designs are also a vast improvement these days. One advantage to everyone, particularly people on the ground is much quieter operation i.e. less rotor noise.

mw0uzo
08-24-2013, 05:30 AM
There seems to be more than a few around here lately.

<raises hand slowly>

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 09:12 AM
<raises hand slowly>

At least honesty is alive and well. Don't feel alone, my hand is up, too.

mw0uzo
08-24-2013, 10:20 AM
At least honesty is alive and well. Don't feel alone, my hand is up, too.

That's not your hand..

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 10:57 AM
That's not your hand..

What a dipstick.

KC2UGV
08-24-2013, 11:13 AM

I'm surprised the rotors didn't disintegrate. They're just a honeycomb composite.

It's likely though, because the cable wound itself onto the rotor hear, and pulled the transmission off. The engine was broken from it's mounts, I can see. The tailboom did just what it was supposed to do (Broke away).

KC2UGV
08-24-2013, 11:14 AM

Yeah they are. I dropped one once. It never could pass inspection even after truing and reweighting.

n2ize
08-24-2013, 12:36 PM
I'm surprised the rotors didn't disintegrate. They're just a honeycomb composite.

It's likely though, because the cable wound itself onto the rotor hear, and pulled the transmission off. The engine was broken from it's mounts, I can see. The tailboom did just what it was supposed to do (Broke away).

Yes you can hear it when it happens in the video. Right after impact with the cable there is no longer any rotor noise. Just the sound of the free jet winding down with no load.

Also one of the blades apparently did break. It's supposed to be a 4 blade rotor design but when it's on the ground I count only 3 blades. You can clearly see where one of the blade holders severed off right at the rotor hub. The new composite blades are rigid enough such the will disintegrate on severe impact which is a good thing. Yet they are designed with enough flex and elasticity to withstand the routine stresses of flight

Bubba
08-24-2013, 05:29 PM
All I’m thinking, is those must be some great guy wires. I need some of those.

K9CCH
08-24-2013, 06:00 PM
Yeah they are. I dropped one once. It never could pass inspection even after truing and reweighting.

I had to transport 4 new ones in a box on a trailer from the air base in Intercoastal City, to Cameron in South Louisiana. They gave me an hour lecture on how much they cost, and how careful I had to drive.

It was the longest 2 hour drive of my life.

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 06:37 PM
I had to transport 4 new ones in a box on a trailer from the air base in Intercoastal City, to Cameron in South Louisiana. They gave me an hour lecture on how much they cost, and how careful I had to drive.

It was the longest 2 hour drive of my life.

And normal travel time is 4 hours.

ki4itv
08-24-2013, 07:30 PM
I couldn't help but notice the guy who snatched the wire was the only person on site without a safety vest; dressed in all black. (?)
That dumbass barely escaped with his life. :wtf:

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 07:49 PM
^^^^^^^ Heh heh heh he said snatched. :bbh:

n2ize
08-24-2013, 09:53 PM
^^^^^^^ Heh heh heh he said snatched. :bbh:

As in snatch... :bbh:

Bubba
08-25-2013, 05:47 AM
How old are you guys ?

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 08:59 AM
How old are you guys ?

You have to have been around awhile to fully appreciate all the nuances and jocularity.

KG4NEL
08-25-2013, 10:49 AM
As in snatch... :bbh:

I prefer cleaning and jerking myself, my snatch grip isn't very good yet and I don't want to risk injury.

NQ6U
08-25-2013, 10:53 AM
Hello.

If I had been flying my APU-equipped Bell 47, this wouldn't have happened.
And I still want a TACO!

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 11:30 AM
But, as we've seen, rarely does a bedouin.

W3WN
08-25-2013, 03:06 PM
I prefer cleaning and jerking myself, my snatch grip isn't very good yet and I don't want to risk injury.
Then you need to buy one of these T-Shirts:
I said the T-Shirt. I don't know what she goes... oh, never mind...

W3WN
08-25-2013, 03:07 PM
How old are you guys ?I think my signature explains it all.

N2CHX
08-25-2013, 04:02 PM

I watched a documentary within the last year that showed pilots in Vietnam creating their own LZ by mowing down bamboo with the rotor blades. I had no idea that was even possible until I saw it.

KG4NEL
08-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Then you need to buy one of these T-Shirts:
I said the T-Shirt. I don't know what she goes... oh, never mind...

I would let her curl in the squat rack.

K9CCH
08-25-2013, 06:04 PM
Hello.

If I had been flying my APU-equipped Bell 47, this wouldn't have happened.
And I still want a TACO!

I prefer the Bell 212. There ain't NO mistaking that "Whop! Whop! Whop!" of the rotors coming your way....

kb2vxa
08-25-2013, 06:49 PM
Reminds me of a now obsolete Italian helicopter joke. The H-65 Dolphin based in Atlantic City comes up this way on the occasional mission and there's no mistaking the sound it makes too. The main rotor isn't TOO loud and doesn't mask the whine of the twin turbines, that's what makes it special.

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 09:23 PM
If it 'aint pink, if it 'aint got an APU, if there 'aint no tacos on board, or if it 'aint got the number 47 in it's nomenclature, then it 'aint shit.

mw0uzo
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
If it 'aint pink, if it 'aint got an APU, if there 'aint no tacos on board, or if it 'aint got the number 47 in it's nomenclature, then it 'aint shit.

You'd love this then
http://www.modelinia.com/__wordpress__/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/victorias-secret-puerto-rico-store-opening-helicopter.jpg

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 03:00 PM
I'll be damned, you did it. It's pink, it's got a 4 and a 7 in the nomenclature (427), it's a Bell, probably has an an APU to start it, and as for the tacos inside...............well........I have no definitive proof, however......................... it does seem likely. Well done. :clap:

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 06:05 PM
I'll be damned, you did it. It's pink, it's got a 4 and a 7 in the nomenclature (427), it's a Bell, probably has an an APU to start it, and as for the tacos inside...............well........I have no definitive proof, however......................... it does seem likely. Well done. :clap:

It's VS. It's got fish tacos.

n2ize
08-26-2013, 06:48 PM
I prefer the Bell 212. There ain't NO mistaking that "Whop! Whop! Whop!" of the rotors coming your way....

Yey, it's basically a 2 jet design of the old UH1 Iroquois used in Vietnam and by the NYANG. You cpould here if coming,... Bup Bup Bup Bup Bup Bup Bup... gradually getting louder until it passed overhead when it was loud enough to bust your ears. I like that as a classic. Functionally I like the Bell 407. Fast, quiet, great for police work. By the time you hear it it's overhead and too late to run. Esp with infrared on board. It's a single jet which limits some ops. But it's a great ship. The county cops operate them round these parts.

n2ize
08-26-2013, 06:55 PM
I watched a documentary within the last year that showed pilots in Vietnam creating their own LZ by mowing down bamboo with the rotor blades. I had no idea that was even possible until I saw it.

It's suicidal. Are you sure that is what they were doing ?? Any sudden impact, even with a light object can break a blade or mess up the collective or cyclic mechanism and bring you down...hard !! Then again, those Vietnam guys did some wild shit.

K7SGJ
08-26-2013, 07:04 PM
It's VS. It's got fish tacos.

Oh hell no, you won't catch me going there.

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 07:22 PM
It's suicidal. Are you sure that is what they were doing ?? Any sudden impact, even with a light object can break a blade or mess up the collective or cyclic mechanism and bring you down...hard !! Then again, those Vietnam guys did some wild shit.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I wish I could remember the documentary, because I'd watch it again. My Dad had friends who were in Vietnam, a couple of whom had a lot of influence on me as a kid so it always fascinated me.

FOUND IT: http://blogs.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/2011/05/helicopter-missions-vietnam-firefight/

"It was May 14, 1967, and Baca had just 12 days to go in-country when he and Liss get the call about a group of soldiers that needed rescuing. “We were the only helicopter there,” says Baca, “and they needed our help. We were not going to say no.” When they got to the coordinates, they realized there was no landing zone; tall bamboo covered the area where they were meant to set down. Baca and Liss decided that the lack of a landing zone wouldn’t slow them down: they decided to use the Huey’s rotor blades to slice through the bamboo canopy. “We were a lawnmower, basically,” recalls Baca. Fully aware that damage to the underside of the rotor blade could cripple their helicopter, the two carved out a landing zone and set down. They picked up six casualties and headed back to camp. On the 15-minute ride, they got another desperate message: The remaining men were pinned down by a battalion of 600 men, and the entire company needed rescuing. It took Baca and Liss, along with a second helicopter piloted by Swickard and engineer Al Croteau, 11 hours to evacuate the men. On their final run, the defense perimeter was under the rotor blades."

n2ize
08-26-2013, 09:04 PM
Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I wish I could remember the documentary, because I'd watch it again. My Dad had friends who were in Vietnam, a couple of whom had a lot of influence on me as a kid so it always fascinated me.

FOUND IT: http://blogs.airspacemag.com/daily-planet/2011/05/helicopter-missions-vietnam-firefight/

"It was May 14, 1967, and Baca had just 12 days to go in-country when he and Liss get the call about a group of soldiers that needed rescuing. “We were the only helicopter there,” says Baca, “and they needed our help. We were not going to say no.” When they got to the coordinates, they realized there was no landing zone; tall bamboo covered the area where they were meant to set down. Baca and Liss decided that the lack of a landing zone wouldn’t slow them down: they decided to use the Huey’s rotor blades to slice through the bamboo canopy. “We were a lawnmower, basically,” recalls Baca. Fully aware that damage to the underside of the rotor blade could cripple their helicopter, the two carved out a landing zone and set down. They picked up six casualties and headed back to camp. On the 15-minute ride, they got another desperate message: The remaining men were pinned down by a battalion of 600 men, and the entire company needed rescuing. It took Baca and Liss, along with a second helicopter piloted by Swickard and engineer Al Croteau, 11 hours to evacuate the men. On their final run, the defense perimeter was under the rotor blades."

Well, all I can say is they were very lucky they were able to lop it without hitting the floor. Those guys were damned good, fortunate, and a bit crazy...but who wouldn't be in that war. Fortunately the Viet Cong didn;t rig the bamboo with barbed wire and debris. Probably never imagined anyone would attempt a landing in a bamboo thicket.

Still sounds questionable to me. There are a few things that just don't fit. Then again, it was a crazy war and crazy times and the UH-1 was a crazy bird that could do the impossible.

NA4BH
08-26-2013, 09:12 PM
Generally they would use a Daisy Cutter

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aIpdRrrOdDk/T-qA3tIyixI/AAAAAAAAKFw/MLGeZdM_ERU/s1600/Blu-82_Daisy_Cutter_en_Vietnam.jpg

n2ize
08-26-2013, 09:19 PM

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aIpdRrrOdDk/T-qA3tIyixI/AAAAAAAAKFw/MLGeZdM_ERU/s1600/Blu-82_Daisy_Cutter_en_Vietnam.jpg

yeah, but that would kill the personnel they were trying to rescue ?? Well, yeah, maybe now day's they would. It's all collateral damage.

KC2UGV
08-26-2013, 09:27 PM
Well, all I can say is they were very lucky they were able to lop it without hitting the floor. Those guys were damned good, fortunate, and a bit crazy...but who wouldn't be in that war. Fortunately the Viet Cong didn;t rig the bamboo with barbed wire and debris. Probably never imagined anyone would attempt a landing in a bamboo thicket.

Still sounds questionable to me. There are a few things that just don't fit. Then again, it was a crazy war and crazy times and the UH-1 was a crazy bird that could do the impossible.

The UH1 had aluminum leading edges, contrasted with today's leading edges which are little more than expensive 3M tape painted black.

N2CHX
08-26-2013, 09:41 PM

The story I quoted was also part of a documentary. I remember that several people recalled and confirmed it.

KC2UGV
08-26-2013, 09:58 PM
The story I quoted was also part of a documentary. I remember that several people recalled and confirmed it.

It's not at all unlikely. The UH1 didn't use composite for their blades then, they use actual wood. And, with a leading edge made of aluminum.

Nowadays, the rotorhead would have splintered on first contact (I've seen it with trees), but back then, they didn't have the lightweight (And fragile) materials we use today.

n2ize
08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
It's not at all unlikely. The UH1 didn't use composite for their blades then, they use actual wood. And, with a leading edge made of aluminum.

Nowadays, the rotorhead would have splintered on first contact (I've seen it with trees), but back then, they didn't have the lightweight (And fragile) materials we use today.

Doesn't matter. All you need is to bend or chip a blade and throw the rotor way off balance. Aluminum is soft and easily bends and wood will snap. Not to mention screwing up the swashplate and messing up the cyclic and collective. I am not saying they didn;t do it., I am saying, if true then the sure as hell lucked out.

KC2UGV
08-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Doesn't matter. All you need is to bend or chip a blade and throw the rotor way off balance. Aluminum is soft and easily bends and wood will snap. Not to mention screwing up the swashplate and messing up the cyclic and collective. I am not saying they didn;t do it., I am saying, if true then the sure as hell lucked out.

The UH1 was very forgiving of swashplate maladjustment, as well as out of balance blades (Had to be, because you can't plane wood perfectly).

Yes, aluminum is soft, and easily bends, but it was a layer on top of wood, so it is just there to add some strength to the wood core.

Cyclic and collective are all dependent on the swashplate's friction adjustments, which the UH1 had a wide variance for tension (+/- 26 in/lbs of torque).

I worked on 'em John. And, I worked on the OH-58 :) It's not really as bad as it seems for the UH1 to act like a lawn mower. The OH-85, on the other hand... They would have had a bad time.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 02:02 AM
The UH1 was very forgiving of swashplate maladjustment, as well as out of balance blades (Had to be, because you can't plane wood perfectly).

Yes, aluminum is soft, and easily bends, but it was a layer on top of wood, so it is just there to add some strength to the wood core.

Cyclic and collective are all dependent on the swashplate's friction adjustments, which the UH1 had a wide variance for tension (+/- 26 in/lbs of torque).

I worked on 'em John. And, I worked on the OH-58 :) It's not really as bad as it seems for the UH1 to act like a lawn mower. The OH-85, on the other hand... They would have had a bad time.

And bamboo it pretty light, soft, and somewhat like a reed so under the circumstance I guess they could chop it. But let's face it, all it takes is for something other than bamboo to be in the in the midst of it and even the bamboo itself is going to be doing some damage and taking it's toll. And there is still a limit to how far out of spec things can go before they start to self-destruct. So it still took a lot of guts and a lot of luck. Not a type of thing you'd want to do as everyday routine.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 04:12 AM
BTW the UH-1's were old favorites of mine. Used to see a lot of them in the skies round here back in the 60's and early 70's. And a UH-1 was the first helicopter I ever got to see up close, I mean like walk around it, look inside and talk to the pilot and then watch him take off from up real close. Bell 47's were also a favorite. I liked that bubble canopy. They were frequently flown by traffic and news reporters around here and, most commonly by the railroad police who used to patrol the RR tracks round these parts during the 1970's. Also got a close up look at the 47 flown by the RR cops when they set down nearby a few times. No it wasn't pink, didn't have an APU and wasn't operated by a Mexican-Bedouin...LOL They also had a serious accident once where one crashed nearby while on routine patrol. They resumed patrolling with a Jet Ranger and another Bell-47 for a few years but discontinued the aerial patrols some time in the 80's when incidents of crime and vandalism along the tracks diminished significantly. They also had a pretty good eye in the sky for other stuff than railroad activity. Once me and a friend were firing pellet guns at cans in my driveway and they flew over my yard quite low, circled overhead watching us the whole time then flew back to the tracks and resumed their patrol. Guess the saw the guns and decided to check it out and decided it was just a couple of harmless kids with BB guns.. After all, they were cops and they had statewide jurisdiction. They also had a PA on board for addressing persons on the ground but they didn't use it in the incident over my yard. They did use it once to tell a friend of mine to get off the highway when he was crossing it to retrieve a baseball.

These days the county cops patrol around in a modern Bell 407. Fast and very quiet. Fitted with all the crime fighting gadgets too, i.e. spotlight, infrared, cameras, night vision, etc.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 04:18 AM

Yeah, but it's only good for cutting daisies. It can't cut bambooo for shit.

KC2UGV
08-27-2013, 08:36 AM
BTW the UH-1's were old favorites of mine. Used to see a lot of them in the skies round here back in the 60's and early 70's. And a UH-1 was the first helicopter I ever got to see up close, I mean like walk around it, look inside and talk to the pilot and then watch him take off from up real close. Bell 47's were also a favorite. I liked that bubble canopy. They were frequently flown by traffic and news reporters around here and, most commonly by the railroad police who used to patrol the RR tracks round these parts during the 1970's. Also got a close up look at the 47 flown by the RR cops when they set down nearby a few times. No it wasn't pink, didn't have an APU and wasn't operated by a Mexican-Bedouin...LOL They also had a serious accident once where one crashed nearby while on routine patrol. They resumed patrolling with a Jet Ranger and another Bell-47 for a few years but discontinued the aerial patrols some time in the 80's when incidents of crime and vandalism along the tracks diminished significantly. They also had a pretty good eye in the sky for other stuff than railroad activity. Once me and a friend were firing pellet guns at cans in my driveway and they flew over my yard quite low, circled overhead watching us the whole time then flew back to the tracks and resumed their patrol. Guess the saw the guns and decided to check it out and decided it was just a couple of harmless kids with BB guns.. After all, they were cops and they had statewide jurisdiction. They also had a PA on board for addressing persons on the ground but they didn't use it in the incident over my yard. They did use it once to tell a friend of mine to get off the highway when he was crossing it to retrieve a baseball.

These days the county cops patrol around in a modern Bell 407. Fast and very quiet. Fitted with all the crime fighting gadgets too, i.e. spotlight, infrared, cameras, night vision, etc.

I'm partial to the 206A, but only because it was MY aircraft. No real technical reasons, I just like them better since I lived and breathed them for 6 years.

n2ize
08-27-2013, 09:03 AM
I'm partial to the 206A, but only because it was MY aircraft. No real technical reasons, I just like them better since I lived and breathed them for 6 years.

Isn't the 206A basically the JetRanger series. Military version is the model OH-58 ? Am I right on that. I always thought that model was pretty interesting. Also quite common for civilian and police work as well.