PDA

View Full Version : Make Your Own Bomb Detector???

HUGH
08-21-2013, 03:50 PM
Using a small, telescopic antenna as found on portable radios, and some crude plastic mouldings, you could make one of these gadgets which will detect hidden explosives, drugs or any other suspicious substances.

How does it work? Well, it doesn't.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/20/gary-bolton-jailed-seven-years-fake-bomb-detectors

mw0uzo
08-21-2013, 03:56 PM
Unbelievable that people fell for it. Unbelievable that he made so much money from it and very glad he's now locked up hahahaha. Shame the sentence doesn't reflect the lives put at risk from the scam.

n2ize
08-21-2013, 04:04 PM
It's amazing what people will fall for and will spend their money on such as dowsing, free energy machines, etc. Believe it or not dowsers still make money to find underground water.. A while back they did an experiment in which they had a bunch of dowsers with divining rods dowsing for underground water versus spots of land picked at random. You guessed it, the dowsers didn't do any better than the random pickings and in a few trials the random picks scored better. Yet people still get hired to dowse. Unbelievable

K7SGJ
08-21-2013, 05:30 PM
They should send his ass to Afghanistan, put him in front of convoys, and have him use his handy dandy device to locate IEDs. The bastid.

NA4BH
08-21-2013, 06:09 PM
Land mine detectors

http://www.madeinaroostook.org/snowshoes.jpg

kb2vxa
08-21-2013, 06:10 PM
It's even more amazing what the governments of Mexico, Thailand, Pakistan, China, India, the Philippines, Singapore, Egypt, Tunisia and Iraq will spend money on! Apparently in these countries government and military procurement doesn't crawl along under miles of red tape contracts including close inspection and testing to extremely rigid and narrow parameters as it is here. If any old Bolton can waltz right in and sell them a bill of goods without any >real< testing at all I could sell them one of those Rockwell delta nine tetracanabulators and walk away a very rich man.

KG4NEL
08-21-2013, 08:05 PM
If he had marketed it as a sex toy, I bet it'd be legal.