PDA

View Full Version : WA6MHZ: Hear about this?

W3WN
08-21-2013, 07:19 AM
Pat, as soon as I saw the headline, I thought of you.

From the Food Column of today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:
What's For Dinner: Chicken Ramen Burgers (http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/life/whats-for-dinner/whats-for-dinner-chicken-ramen-burgers-700097/)
http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/232/447/turkey-ramen-burger_420.jpg (http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/232/447/turkey-ramen-burger_original.jpg)

wa6mhz
08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Man, that really DOES look good!!!! But bet it is Pricey! Probably towards $10!

By the way, Congrats to ur Pirates for beating the @#@#@ out of the Padrettes last night. What was it? 8 to 1? Tonight they go for the SWEEP! Padrettes are making sure U get to the World Series!

KB3LAZ
08-21-2013, 09:20 AM

By the way, Congrats to ur Pirates for beating the @#@#@ out of the Padrettes last night. What was it? 8 to 1? Tonight they go for the SWEEP! Padrettes are making sure U get to the World Series!

It shouldnt be that much if you make it at home. On average a home cooked meal cost me about 3-5€ per person.

KG4NEL
08-21-2013, 09:21 AM
It shouldnt be that much if you make it at home. On average a home cooked meal cost me about 3-5€ per person.

That's his budget for a week...

:D

KC2UGV
08-21-2013, 09:30 AM

... after radios.

KB3LAZ
08-21-2013, 09:33 AM

Come to think of it I dont even spend that much for an average dinner. Lets say I make porkchops, potatoes, and a veggie. six porkchops run about 5 USD (here anyway), a portion of potatoes and veggies for each would be a combine 1 USD per side. You are talking 7 USD for three people to eat a heavy meal.

Homemade pizza is cheap to make too. Homeade crust cost nearly nothing to make. And when buying what you need much of what you will buy will last for weeks if not months. I can make two hefty pizzas for about 6 USD. That should feed at least three people.

I spend about 136 USD per week on food for three people and we eat well. We buy more than a few things that we do not need.

wa6mhz
08-21-2013, 09:48 AM
I have been spending alot more on food, due to Radio club meetings. A couple of clubs meet at the RANCH HOUSE for a dinner meeting, so that is usually around $12-$15. Sizzler is around $13 and that is 2 more clubs. And then there is DEL TACO, which gets my business on ARC of El Cajon board and regular club meetings. Before SANDARC, I stop at the McDonalds and drop around $6 for a McChicken, Fries and drink. If I go to Palomar ARC, I stop at COSTCO and score a HOT DOG and ice Cream for around $4. SO with Radio Club meetings several times a week, my $30/month food budget gets tossed out the window!

KB3LAZ
08-21-2013, 09:56 AM
I have been spending alot more on food, due to Radio club meetings. A couple of clubs meet at the RANCH HOUSE for a dinner meeting, so that is usually around $12-$15. Sizzler is around $13 and that is 2 more clubs. And then there is DEL TACO, which gets my business on ARC of El Cajon board and regular club meetings. Before SANDARC, I stop at the McDonalds and drop around $6 for a McChicken, Fries and drink. If I go to Palomar ARC, I stop at COSTCO and score a HOT DOG and ice Cream for around $4. SO with Radio Club meetings several times a week, my $30/month food budget gets tossed out the window!

The problem with eating fast food is not only that it is bad for you but it is bad for your wallet. Even when you stick to the cheap side. I find that on a typical trip for fast food the cost of a meal for one person will often pay for a meal for three at home.

W3WN
08-21-2013, 10:00 AM

By the way, Congrats to ur Pirates for beating the @#@#@ out of the Padrettes last night. What was it? 8 to 1? Tonight they go for the SWEEP! Padrettes are making sure U get to the World Series!And we'll be watching.

Did they really think a veteran player like AJ Burnett would fall for the Hidden Ball trick?

http://wapc.mlb.com/pit/play/?content_id=29898231&topic_id=8879096&c_id=pit

wa6mhz
08-21-2013, 10:08 AM
That was pretty sneaky! Surprized they thought they could get away with it!

W3WN
08-21-2013, 10:10 AM
That was pretty sneaky! Surprized they thought they could get away with it!Desperation?

wa6mhz
08-21-2013, 10:15 AM
Savor these wins!!! The other teams won't be as EASY as the Padres!!

n2ize
08-21-2013, 03:13 PM
The problem with eating fast food is not only that it is bad for you but it is bad for your wallet. Even when you stick to the cheap side. I find that on a typical trip for fast food the cost of a meal for one person will often pay for a meal for three at home.

The way I see it is like this. You only go around once in life so why not go for the best you can afford. Go to good restaurants. Get good food. It may cost more but often it's better for you and tastes a whole lot better. I am the type of person who is not frugal. I like to go for quality, even if it means it will be harder on my wallet.

And you are right. Fast food it no bargain. I always skip the fast food joints and the el-cheapo "on a budget" meals and head to a good restaurant. And why not ? Very often it does not cost that much more anyway. And if I don't do it now when will I do it ? When I am dead and my remains are being used for teaching anatomy ? I am also that way with friends. When I invite friends to join me for dinner I always go to a good restaurant and I foot the bill. At least when I am gone and my remains are being used for research or anatomy they can say, while this guy lived he lived good. I am the same way with hobbies, radio's, clothes, etc. My motto is, spend some more and get something good. Enjoy the finer things in life as much as you can.

P.S. On the very rare occasional that I get fast food the only fast food I will ever eat are White Castle burgers. Something about those sliders that I can't resist. ;)

KB3LAZ
08-21-2013, 04:14 PM
The way I see it is like this. You only go around once in life so why not go for the best you can afford. Go to good restaurants. Get good food. It may cost more but often it's better for you and tastes a whole lot better. I am the type of person who is not frugal. I like to go for quality, even if it means it will be harder on my wallet.

And you are right. Fast food it no bargain. I always skip the fast food joints and the el-cheapo "on a budget" meals and head to a good restaurant. And why not ? Very often it does not cost that much more anyway. And if I don't do it now when will I do it ? When I am dead and my remains are being used for teaching anatomy ? I am also that way with friends. When I invite friends to join me for dinner I always go to a good restaurant and I foot the bill. At least when I am gone and my remains are being used for research or anatomy they can say, while this guy lived he lived good. I am the same way with hobbies, radio's, clothes, etc. My motto is, spend some more and get something good. Enjoy the finer things in life as much as you can.

P.S. On the very rare occasional that I get fast food the only fast food I will ever eat are White Castle burgers. Something about those sliders that I can't resist. ;)

Oh, I have no problem spending money but my point was for those who complain that it is simply too expensive to eat. Or rather too expensive to eat well and its just not true. I mean, sure it is true for those who are actually poor but for the average person they can eat well if they spend wisely. It is cheaper to do so at home than it is to pick up bits off the dollar menu. Junk food costs more than real food. For the cost of a box of little cakes one can have enough rice for the week, etc.

I waste money a lot but I don't complain that I can't afford to eat afterward. Yet I see many people that do just that.

w2amr
08-23-2013, 03:34 AM

When I want fast food, I tell my wife to hurry up. Then she tells me to shut up, and I comply.

wa6mhz
08-23-2013, 08:56 AM
I just wasted $1100 to have a shed and tree removed here. Think about all the PRIME RIB I could have had for that!!! But it is a "HOME IMPROVEMENT" that increases the property value.

W3WN
08-23-2013, 10:41 AM
I just wasted $1100 to have a shed and tree removed here. Think about all the PRIME RIB I could have had for that!!! But it is a "HOME IMPROVEMENT" that increases the property value.Yeah, I've been following your latest exploits Over Yonder...

It's not a waste. It's a neccesary infrastructure expenditure, as part of the site preparation for the new, larger, utility shed that will be your new home for the vast majority of your radio collection, aka The Crest Radio Museum.

Remember, a year or so from now, assuming all goes well, you'll be able to conduct actual tours. Charge admission even. OK, request for donations. Then you'll have all the prime rib you want...

KC2UGV
08-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Yeah, I've been following your latest exploits Over Yonder...

It's not a waste. It's a neccesary infrastructure expenditure, as part of the site preparation for the new, larger, utility shed that will be your new home for the vast majority of your radio collection, aka The Crest Radio Museum.

Remember, a year or so from now, assuming all goes well, you'll be able to conduct actual tours. Charge admission even. OK, request for donations. Then you'll have all the prime rib you want...

That would require actually doing something about one's station in life. Then, there would be nothing to kvetch about.

wa6mhz
08-23-2013, 10:55 AM
What I worried about last night, was that I got it all built, and another FIRESTORM came through and TOASTED it to the ground. A VERY REAL and HIGHLY LIKELY prospect here in SoCal. We have had 2 fires this week within a mile or 2 of Crest, and luckily it wasn't a Santa Ana (Winds) or the town would have been TOAST!

I found a Hose outlet right next to the proposed shed location, so I should set up some kind of Sprinkler protection system in there. Wet radios are better than BURNT radios!