PDA

View Full Version : OK so I've decided to...

N2CHX
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
...join the elite group of snobby assholes and take the Extra exam. I mean, I've only been licensed since I was 13. I guess it's time.

The test isn't the problem. That part will be easy. The real problem is, where the eff do they even hold exams anymore? A Google search yielded nothing. Not even the ARRL's website was helpful. Plenty of question pools, practice tests, etc but no exam schedules. Guess it's been way too long since I've had to do this.

KC2UGV
08-20-2013, 07:08 PM
...join the elite group of snobby assholes and take the Extra exam. I mean, I've only been licensed since I was 13. I guess it's time.

The test isn't the problem. That part will be easy. The real problem is, where the eff do they even hold exams anymore? A Google search yielded nothing. Not even the ARRL's website was helpful. Plenty of question pools, practice tests, etc but no exam schedules. Guess it's been way too long since I've had to do this.

None in our area until September 11th, in Niagara Falls. http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

KJ3N
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
...join the elite group of snobby assholes and take the Extra exam.

I resemble that remark. :irked:

W2NAP
08-20-2013, 07:13 PM
if you want to make the LONG trip, they do the tests here every 3rd wed every month. but quite a ride from NY to IN

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 07:13 PM
I can't help you with the location but I'm I'm such an elitist Extra asshole that I don't even TX OTA anymore. Want to work me OTA? Good luck. I am the most elusive call of all. VERY VERY few have worked me and those people are the luckiest people of all of AR.

Having said that, congratulations on your decision to upgrade!

VE7DCW
08-20-2013, 07:27 PM
I did'nt realize there was so much animosity between various classes of Amateur Radio operators in the U.S.

Oh well..... carry on people..... :mrgreen:

KG4NEL
08-20-2013, 07:31 PM
There goes the neighborhood...

:mrgreen:

W4GPL
08-20-2013, 07:37 PM
All this time I've been talking with a mere General? :sick:

;)

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 07:42 PM
I'll die being only an Advanced Class license holder. I look at myself as if I were a two dollar bill. Getting rare and worth-less.

N2CHX
08-20-2013, 07:49 PM
None in our area until September 11th, in Niagara Falls. http://www.arrl.org/find-an-amateur-radio-license-exam-session

Ah, I looked on the ARRL site. Did not see that. Thank you!

Yes you do :snicker:

if you want to make the LONG trip, they do the tests here every 3rd wed every month. but quite a ride from NY to IN

LOL I'd love to, but... Yeah quite a ride!

I can't help you with the location but I'm I'm such an elitist Extra asshole that I don't even TX OTA anymore. Want to work me OTA? Good luck. I am the most elusive call of all. VERY VERY few have worked me and those people are the luckiest people of all of AR.

Having said that, congratulations on your decision to upgrade!

Thank you. You need to get back on the air dude. I wanna Q.S.O. you with my Q.R.P. :spin:

I did'nt realize there was so much animosity between various classes of Amateur Radio operators in the U.S.

Oh well..... carry on people..... :mrgreen:

LOL I've half-joked about Extras being snobby assholes for years now. I purposely have not upgraded because I knew a couple of hams who were elitist assholes about it, really. But I've decided, fuck them... I want the entire band.

There goes the neighborhood...

:mrgreen:

This neighborhood? Went a long time ago :lol:

All this time I've been talking with a mere General? :sick:

;)

LOL yep, ya snobby, elitist asshole!

VE7DCW
08-20-2013, 07:51 PM
I'll die being only an Advanced Class license holder. I look at myself as if I were a two dollar bill. Getting rare and worth-less.

Eddie you might be of value then if you pawn yourself to those Pawn Star guys in Vegas...... bonus..... we might see it on TV :mrgreen:

N2CHX
08-20-2013, 07:53 PM

Awww, well for what it's worth (not much, sorry!) I think you're pretty damn awesome.

suddenseer
08-20-2013, 08:11 PM

Elite,... snobby assholes? I thought you where extra class. I just figured since you are a BE, and at the least the code part was dropped that you were probably an extra class. Wow, I got that one wrong. I did it for the bottom 25 kHz on 4 hf bands. There is some very good dx to be had in cw mode on those bands. I always thought of people with Collins gear as elitist snobby assholes. I always thought of cw as the mode to use for the ham that does not have a lot of $ to spend. That is me. To me, the only reasons to upgrade to extra would be the 25 kHz (aforementioned), being a VE, wanting a 1x2, or 2x1 call sign. I think I have only xmitted in the extra class phone sub bands maybe a dozen times, or less. I know that you are half joking. But hey, I'm an asshole, but not snobby, or elite. :evil:

W5BRM
08-20-2013, 08:11 PM
I'm also working on getting my Extra. Ordered the Gordon West extra book and the audio CD's. I hope they can teach me enough. I got the CD's as I drive 8-11 hrs a day so I have lots of time to listen to stuff vs actually reading.

It's been so long since I've actually practiced any real ham radio tech stuff. I got my Gen in Sept 2001 and maybe a year after that, I went inactive. It's been a chore re-acquainting myself with HR...

NQ6U
08-20-2013, 08:21 PM
Exams are given every Saturday somewhere in San Diego County. You never have to wait long here.

N2CHX
08-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Elite,... snobby assholes? I thought you where extra class. I just figured since you are a BE, and at the least the code part was dropped that you were probably an extra class. Wow, I got that one wrong. I did it for the bottom 25 kHz on 4 hf bands. There is some very good dx to be had in cw mode on those bands. I always thought of people with Collins gear as elitist snobby assholes. I always thought of cw as the mode to use for the ham that does not have a lot of $ to spend. That is me. To me, the only reasons to upgrade to extra would be the 25 kHz (aforementioned), being a VE, wanting a 1x2, or 2x1 call sign. I think I have only xmitted in the extra class phone sub bands maybe a dozen times, or less. I know that you are half joking. But hey, I'm an asshole, but not snobby, or elite. :evil:

Hehe, yeah I know, it's sad isn't it? I just never bothered to do it. I've been licensed since I was 13, upgraded to General some time after that and just never felt the need to go further with it. I am not competitive and I was happy with what I had, and yeah there was a guy I worked with who was an Extra, and he was also a broadcast engineer but probably the worst broadcast engineer I ever met. He used to brag about his CBRE certification and then when I came on board and I was a licensed ham and I had a radio in my vehicle, he decided to get his license and he bragged about being an Extra when he got it. He really was a shit engineer. I mean horrible. I had to go back and redo so much shit that he worked on... The stories I could tell (and probably have told a few). And being a good-ol-boy he caused nothing but problems for me. The first thing he did when I went to work for that company was take me to his van and show me his 9mm handgun and tell me I'd be wise to not cross him. Horrible human being who left a really bad taste in my mouth in regards to license classes. That experience made me go from "meh" about upgrading, to "NO THANK YOU!"

N2CHX
08-20-2013, 08:24 PM
I'm also working on getting my Extra. Ordered the Gordon West extra book and the audio CD's. I hope they can teach me enough. I got the CD's as I drive 8-11 hrs a day so I have lots of time to listen to stuff vs actually reading.

It's been so long since I've actually practiced any real ham radio tech stuff. I got my Gen in Sept 2001 and maybe a year after that, I went inactive. It's been a chore re-acquainting myself with HR...

Cool! I hear you. I've not been very active myself, for years.

KG4NEL
08-20-2013, 08:28 PM

It's down on the list, but the DX potential is one of the reasons I'm learning that infernal beeping. The Extra portions of the phone parts aren't that much better.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 08:31 PM
Sorry to hear that this jagoff gave you a hard time Kel. I'd say "F him" but why offer him any chance at pleasure?

Can't speak for anyone else... but just two observations from 40+ years licensed, and I've held just about them all...

(1) A$$wipe$ are a$$wipe$ regardless of license class. The more insecure they are, the more they brag about it.
(Well, either insecure, or trying to make up for shortcomings in other areas)

(2) I got Extra for two reasons:
(a) Work DX, especially in the bottom 25 kHz of the bands
(b) I knew the FCC exams were going away, to be replaced by the VE system. I just felt that the Extra would mean more to ME if I took the exam from the FCC. It just wouldn't be the same, to ME, taking a VEC exam.

I don't want to sound high & mighty. I don't think I'm a "better" ham that someone who's taken Extra under the VE system. But I do think I'm a better ham that I would have been otherwise, if I hadn't taken the tests when I did.

suddenseer
08-20-2013, 09:03 PM
It's down on the list, but the DX potential is one of the reasons I'm learning that infernal beeping. The Extra portions of the phone parts aren't that much better.The cw is a different world. You will hear some really rare dx stations on the bottom 25 of 10M, BUT THE DAMN N Americanos illegal operators screw it up. If it aint "10-4 good buddy", or some heavy S. American brogue screwing up authorized transmissions. I have worked Antarctica, and S.Korea, and Vietnam just to name a few in the bottom 25 kHz. It is worth the effort to be able to play down there. This was done before the days of dx clusters, and other digital 'helpers'. Other countries have long since dropped their code requirement, way before the USA. You will hear beginners, who just mastered 5wpm next to folks working 40wpm with a keyer. This takes place in the so called extra class cw sub band. Up grade to extra, and get down there, and operate your 5wpm station, and not worry. There are new folks like yourself to work. They went what you went through (maybe) Have fun. The bottom 25, the etxra class call signs, the 75M WAS Geritol net is all worth it. I got my was 75M phone cert in one weekend on that net about 19 years ago after getting my extra class.

ki4itv
08-20-2013, 09:29 PM
I rushed in to take the general and extra exams before they dropped the code test; You know... just in case I needed to look my dad (K5BNZ) straight in the eyes again.:lol:

KJ3N
08-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Yes you do :snicker:

You like me that way, and you know it. :neener:

Bubba
08-21-2013, 03:14 AM
So I’ll be the naysayer since there hasn’t been one yet. While I would never discourage taking the Extra, as I am planning myself, I think people have the misconception that the Extra will earn you DX. Not true. It would be a great personal accomplishment and a knowledge gain, but the bandwidth gain is very minimal at best. I am 100% DX, and all the DX contacts work in the General band scope. I can not speak for the states, and the regional nets, but when DXing, the DX stations want the opportunity to get the most contacts. So they use the General bands. If you were in Bhutan, and wanted to make the most DX QSO’s why would you call on the Extra band portions of the band and limit your possibilities, it doesn’t happen. Maybe regionally, its a way to avoid the crowds, but as a DX , the extra bandwidth is often empty. And as alluded to earlier, the bandwidth gain is really only noticeable for CW. So the idea of getting an Extra before learning CW would not make much sense at all. Sometimes all that is needed to get more DX is to turn the radio on and use it...

PA5COR
08-21-2013, 03:55 AM
We only have 2 license classes here, the PD or N(ovice) class and Full licensed like me.
I took the government provided exams, since 5 years they gave that to the Veron our version of the ARRL here.
Never looked back though, ditched the C.W. and just work phone.
Does that mean i'm a snob? if so i don't care, i always went my own way in life as well hobby's ;)
Good luck doing the exam though, hope to meet you sometimes on one of our bands.

Bubba
08-21-2013, 05:04 AM
We only have 2 license classes here, the PD or N(ovice) class and Full licensed like me.
I took the government provided exams, since 5 years they gave that to the Veron our version of the ARRL here.
Never looked back though, ditched the C.W. and just work phone.
Does that mean i'm a snob? if so i don't care, i always went my own way in life as well hobby's ;)
Good luck doing the exam though, hope to meet you sometimes on one of our bands.

Great example of what I was saying. Most DX is in our General class because most countries don’t match on class bandwidth. So everyone meets in the middle. That’s the General class bandwidth.

WX7P
08-21-2013, 05:38 AM
So I’ll be the naysayer since there hasn’t been one yet. While I would never discourage taking the Extra, as I am planning myself, I think people have the misconception that the Extra will earn you DX. Not true. It would be a great personal accomplishment and a knowledge gain, but the bandwidth gain is very minimal at best. I am 100% DX, and all the DX contacts work in the General band scope. I can not speak for the states, and the regional nets, but when DXing, the DX stations want the opportunity to get the most contacts. So they use the General bands. If you were in Bhutan, and wanted to make the most DX QSO’s why would you call on the Extra band portions of the band and limit your possibilities, it doesn’t happen. Maybe regionally, its a way to avoid the crowds, but as a DX , the extra bandwidth is often empty. And as alluded to earlier, the bandwidth gain is really only noticeable for CW. So the idea of getting an Extra before learning CW would not make much sense at all. Sometimes all that is needed to get more DX is to turn the radio on and use it...

I don't know about that. My experience has been different.

When I first got my extra, I was amazed at how much DX was hiding in the extra portion of the band, especially on 15 meter phone. The lack of a pileup for moderately difficult to routine DX was nice.

I can't say what it's like now, but DX stations used to be in the extra portion because the pileups were more manageable and you had less of that channel cop crap.

W3WN
08-21-2013, 07:05 AM
< snip >
I think people have the misconception that the Extra will earn you DX. Not true. It would be a great personal accomplishment and a knowledge gain, but the bandwidth gain is very minimal at best. I
< snip >Well... you have to keep things in context.

25 years ago, the bands sure seemed more active than they are now. The least crowded areas (relatively speaking) where the Amateur Extra exclusive allocations -- For CW, lower 25 kHz on 80, 40, 20 & 15, and for SSB, small portions of 80 and 20 (with small areas on 40 & 15 shared with Advanced).

Also keep in mind that in some areas of the world, portions of these bands may have been more limited. And some of the DX congregated outside of the General sub-bands, again due to the simple matter of all the activity.

So it's not that getting Extra got you more DX. What it got you was a better OPPORTUNITY to work DX, by giving you a relatively clearer shot at hearing them where they operated from, and with less competition.

... and yes, the HF bands are not as crowded as they once were. Most weeknights, I don't have any problem finding a frequency somewhere to call CQ. Used to be, you had to really work hard to find a clear spot. And I'm NOT talking about a Contest weekend, either... but that's another story for another thread & another time...

kb2vxa
08-21-2013, 04:50 PM
"...I think people have the misconception that the Extra will earn you DX. Not true."
From your point of view maybe but look at where you are, you ARE DX. If you hang around the CW portions of the bands you'll notice where the DX is from the CONUS perspective, if they're not working simplex in the bottom 25KHz they're receiving there so Extras get what eludes the Generals.

W5BRM
08-21-2013, 05:16 PM
Just got my WB6NOA book and the audio CD Extra class material from Amazon today. Been listening to the audio CD's. I dont think i should have a problem getting my Extra in more then a few months depending on where/when i can find a neaby testing site. Closest I can find is like 75 miles from my home QTH.

K7SGJ
08-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Just got my WB6NOA book and the audio CD Extra class material from Amazon today. Been listening to the audio CD's. I dont think i should have a problem getting my Extra in more then a few months depending on where/when i can find a neaby testing site. Closest I can find is like 75 miles from my home QTH.

Since you're on the road a lot, you can pretty much take it anywhere when you're ready.

N2CHX
08-21-2013, 05:33 PM
It came!!

N2CHX
08-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Just realized I posted that in the wrong thread.

K7SGJ
08-21-2013, 05:35 PM
How's it work? You do have it assembled, right? If not, I'm going to sic the NAB on you.

W5BRM
08-21-2013, 05:55 PM
Since you're on the road a lot, you can pretty much take it anywhere when you're ready.

Well I could try but most exam sites don't have parking for large vehicles at or nearby thier location. Taxi prices are OUTRAGEOUS so thats not really an option...lol

K7SGJ
08-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Well I could try but most exam sites don't have parking for large vehicles at or nearby thier location. Taxi prices are OUTRAGEOUS so thats not really an option...lol

True, but by the time they figure out they need a great big tow truck and get it there, you'll be done and on your way; with your ticket in hand. Well, maybe two or three besides the ham one.

KG4NEL
08-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Our exam site is at the county EOC. They even have loading docks if you want :D

NQ6U
08-21-2013, 08:49 PM

Do you ever get to the San Diego area? If so, I've got you covered. Shoot me an e-mail if/when you're ready. My call sign @cox.net.

N8OBM
08-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Thank god! I need more reasonable people to talk to in the quiet ends of the bands.

Archie N8OBM

BTW we have testing coming up at our little Ham fest at the Saratoga Fair grounds on the 7th of September.

KC2UGV
08-21-2013, 09:55 PM
It came!!

After seeing that, so did I :P

I might have to get you to mount my SMT's :rofl:

No seriosuly, I need you to show me how to do the SMT's.... :)

KG4CGC
08-21-2013, 10:04 PM
After seeing that, so did I :P

I might have to get you to mount my SMT's :rofl:

No seriosuly, I need you to show me how to do the SMT's.... :)

If you don't have an air wand soldering station, you could try the oven or hot plate method. You start by tinning all the contacts to be connected, then flux all the surfaces you just tinned, then place on hot plate or in oven. This works with single sided boards or at least boards to be SMT'd on a single side. You'd have to look up the heat levels. I like the hot plate method because you can watch closely as the connections melt, are made.

Left out placing the parts and the flux also acts as a light adhesive

KC2UGV
08-21-2013, 10:13 PM
If you don't have an air wand soldering station, you could try the oven or hot plate method. You start by tinning all the contacts to be connected, then flux all the surfaces you just tinned, then place on hot plate or in oven. This works with single sided boards or at least boards to be SMT'd on a single side. You'd have to look up the heat levels. I like the hot plate method because you can watch closely as the connections melt, are made.

Left out placing the parts and the flux also acts as a light adhesive

Should I do this before, or after the through-hole parts (Assuming before)?

KG4CGC
08-21-2013, 11:02 PM

I would say before. Take care while installing through hole parts. It shouldn't happen but I was desoldering a well installed pot when I started floating off SMT parts. Of course I was using considerably more heat for a longer period.

Check out YouTube for SMT soldering with a hotplate/oven.

N8YX
08-22-2013, 07:23 AM
Charles is correct.

I'll expound further on the subject when at a device that allows me to post at length.

Meanwhile, check Craigslist for a Pace MBT210 or PPS85A with a TJ-65 ThermoJet handpiece. If the setup also includes a TT-65, you're set to do 90+ % of all SMT work found in the typical ham radio kit.

AC8KF WALT
08-24-2013, 12:32 PM

well at least you already have a great hat.:)

WØTKX
08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Oh hell yea. Bring a greasy sackful of burgers for all, and take the exam with the Louise hat on. :agree:

N2CHX
08-24-2013, 11:28 PM

I did all my surface mount parts with just flux and a regular soldering iron with a small tip. Worked fine for me.

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 09:16 AM
I did all my surface mount parts with just flux and a regular soldering iron with a small tip. Worked fine for me.

That works for me, too. Unless I have a bunch to do, or a huge fine pitch IC. Then I either use the Pace with hot air, or the Pace wave solder tip. It works very very well.