PDA

View Full Version : Vista

N8GAV
08-19-2013, 06:59 PM
Anyone have a copy that you can burn if I send a disc to you?

NQ6U
08-19-2013, 07:37 PM
All copies of Vista should be burned.

WX7P
08-19-2013, 07:43 PM
So should Vista.

WØTKX
08-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Ewwww. That's one I skipped.

KJ3N
08-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Ewwww. That's one I skipped.

That was the correct decision. Best to skip to Win 7, if possible.

WØTKX
08-19-2013, 09:18 PM
I like Win 7 Pro, quite a bit.

Windows 8 Server is decent too.

I actually liked NT and Win 2000 as well.

K7SGJ
08-19-2013, 10:14 PM
I liked XP and Win 7, but I'm here to tell ya, Windows 8 sucks. It might be okay on a tablet, I have no idea, but on a regular laptop peeeee yewwwww.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 07:04 AM
Anyone have a copy that you can burn if I send a disc to you?Is your machine a Dell? If it is, I can (*ahem*) arrange a Vista Business OEM disk. I can also (*ahem*) arrange a copy of a Win 7 Business OEM disk; if the machine will run Vista, it will run Win 7 (aka Vista SP1).

KC2UGV
08-20-2013, 07:09 AM
I like Win 7 Pro, quite a bit.

Windows 8 Server is decent too.

I actually liked NT and Win 2000 as well.

I'm with ya, except for NT (Unless it's on an Alpha, NT smoked anything else on an Alpha).

n2ize
08-20-2013, 08:48 AM
That was the correct decision. Best to skip to Win 7, if possible.

I'm primarily a Unix/Linux users not a but I actually like prefer Windows 7 to some of the other versions. The 2 least problematic Window$ systems I used were VP and Windows 7 Pro.

n2ize
08-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I liked XP and Win 7, but I'm here to tell ya, Windows 8 sucks. It might be okay on a tablet, I have no idea, but on a regular laptop peeeee yewwwww.

Can't Windows 8 be put into desktop mode for use on desktop and regular laptop systems ?

W3WN
08-20-2013, 09:09 AM
Can't Windows 8 be put into desktop mode for use on desktop and regular laptop systems ?Windows 8 has a user interface clearly constructed for a touch pad or tablet.

If you have a touch screen, moving or sizing things is easy.

If you have a mouse? Major pain in the tuchus.

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 09:12 AM
Windows 8 has a user interface clearly constructed for a touch pad or tablet.

If you have a touch screen, moving or sizing things is easy.

If you have a mouse? Major pain in the tuchus.

^^^^^^^^ This. However, a shell can program help, some.

N8GAV
08-20-2013, 01:02 PM
Here is the thing, my daughter gave me a tower that had Vista on it. She downloaded shit from music sites like Frostfire, Limewire, and what ever and got a ton of spy ware, malware you name it on it. I put Ubuntu on it and I was happy with it. Well we have an old HP Pavilion 902 that is like 13-14 years old that the wife uses and it is dying, not worth doing anymore to it. Gave her the one with Ubuntu and she don't like it wants Vista back on it.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 01:14 PM
Here is the thing, my daughter gave me a tower that had Vista on it. She downloaded shit from music sites like Frostfire, Limewire, and what ever and got a ton of spy ware, malware you name it on it. I put Ubuntu on it and I was happy with it. Well we have an old HP Pavilion 902 that is like 13-14 years old that the wife uses and it is dying, not worth doing anymore to it. Gave her the one with Ubuntu and she don't like it wants Vista back on it.Well, if the tower was a Dell machine, I have access to Dell OEM disks. But if it's a different brand, the disks I have won't work. The install program checks the BIOS, and if it's not giving the right signature for a Dell, no go.

You can find Vista disks on eBay and other auction sites. But, if they come with a license key, there's no way to truly know if the key has been used before or not. If there's a key on the machine, it might work with a generic Vista install, but it may require the manufacturer OEM CD's to function. No way to tell in advance.

N8GAV
08-20-2013, 01:36 PM
Well, if the tower was a Dell machine, I have access to Dell OEM disks. But if it's a different brand, the disks I have won't work. The install program checks the BIOS, and if it's not giving the right signature for a Dell, no go.

You can find Vista disks on eBay and other auction sites. But, if they come with a license key, there's no way to truly know if the key has been used before or not. If there's a key on the machine, it might work with a generic Vista install, but it may require the manufacturer OEM CD's to function. No way to tell in advance.

No it is a Acer Ron, and Dee clams Abbie lost the discs for it ( Yeah sure blame the 4 year old). Jim gave me a site to download it I may try it this afternoon. Thanks anyway my friend.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 01:40 PM
No it is a Acer Ron, and Dee clams Abbie lost the discs for it ( Yeah sure blame the 4 year old). Jim gave me a site to download it I may try it this afternoon. Thanks anyway my friend.Yeah, I was afraid of something like that. A lot of people misplace their CD's or DVD's. Very often, they were left in the box or packaging the system came in, and went out in the trash with that box.

ACER may be willing to send you a replacement set. Hopefully it won't be for too much. Some vendors charge a pittance for the OEM disks, others (HP used to be infamous for that) through the nose.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 01:42 PM
Check this link out as well: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=windows+vista+operating+system&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xwindows+vist a+operating+system+acer&_nkw=windows+vista+operating+system+acer&_sacat=0

No gurantees or promises, but you may find some good news there.

ad4mg
08-20-2013, 07:01 PM
No it is a Acer Ron, and Dee clams Abbie lost the discs for it ( Yeah sure blame the 4 year old). Jim gave me a site to download it I may try it this afternoon. Thanks anyway my friend.

Many Acer computers have a restore partition hidden at the beginning of the HDD. If it's still there, the boot time keypress combination is Alt-F10, and I believe you must use the Alt key on the left of the keyboard. Try that when the Acer logo appears, if you're lucky, you'll be offered options to revert back to the original factory install of the OS and drivers.

BTW, if you look at the hard drive with a linux OS, the partition is frequently named "pqservice".

ETA: If you do get Vista back on it, Hank, do disable the 'file indexing service'. The only two things it's good for is it speeds up file searches, and sells a lot of hard drives!

N8GAV
08-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Many Acer computers have a restore partition hidden at the beginning of the HDD. If it's still there, the boot time keypress combination is Alt-F10, and I believe you must use the Alt key on the left of the keyboard. Try that when the Acer logo appears, if you're lucky, you'll be offered options to revert back to the original factory install of the OS and drivers.

BTW, if you look at the hard drive with a linux OS, the partition is frequently named "pqservice".

ETA: If you do get Vista back on it, Hank, do disable the 'file indexing service'. The only two things it's good for is it speeds up file searches, and sells a lot of hard drives!

I never knew that Luke, something to look for. Thanks for the info. This is something that will be done after I see what they are going to do with my foot.

KB3LAZ
08-21-2013, 09:43 AM

A little luck may be needed. Most of my Acers had a restore partition as well. However they have only ever worked for me about 25% of the time. Also most Acers prompt you to make a restore DvD from the first boot. I have found these to be good instructions to follow. Not so much for me, as I dont often have pc problems, but for my mother it is needed.

N8GAV
08-23-2013, 11:17 AM
I want to thank everyone for their help and offers to help,Jim, KJ3N gave me a site address that I was able to download a copy, and I got her computer up and running, downloading like 150 updates at this time. This should make her happy( IF it is posable to make a woman happy) Thanks again to all.