PDA

View Full Version : New FCC Rule?

W5BRM
08-19-2013, 08:17 AM
http://hamhijinks.com/new-dress-code-adopted-for-vintage-hobby/ Oh MY!!

KC2UGV
08-19-2013, 08:27 AM
We can try to get a reg to stop this from happening too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tvvboopmg1M

KG4CGC
08-19-2013, 08:27 AM
Which is it? Parpell or Parnell?

W5BRM
08-19-2013, 08:40 AM
lol I remember doin that sort of stuff when i first got my licence and moving from chicken band....

W3WN
08-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Which is it? Parpell or Parnell?Pournelle.

Look on the bright side... at least he's not a descendant of the family that created that famous French mustard.

Poupon. :snicker:

NQ6U
08-19-2013, 11:27 AM
I'll bet that John IZE always dresses like an FCC agent circa 1945 while he's on the radio.

KC2UGV
08-19-2013, 11:34 AM
I'll bet that John IZE always dresses like an FCC agent circa 1945 while he's on the radio.

I bet John dresses that way all the time :rofl:

NA4BH
08-19-2013, 11:41 AM
Do they even make hats that big?

W7XF
08-19-2013, 12:37 PM
Ya mean my backwards baseball cap, black jeans and black t-shirt won't do anymore??? THE HUMANITY!!!

K7SGJ
08-19-2013, 03:49 PM
Hello

Gaddamnit. I just bought a new sombrero to wear with my serape when I turn on the rig to warm my tacos.

K9CCH
08-19-2013, 06:21 PM
I'm really jealous of that club. It looks like they have a very active and fun group. I have yet to come across one of those in my area. Everything seems to be old guys grumbling about guns, government, and geriatrics.

kb2vxa
08-19-2013, 07:26 PM
That's because Jeff K1NSS aka Dash! isn't a member. Hey, where IS the old dog these days?

n2ize
08-20-2013, 08:53 AM
http://hamhijinks.com/new-dress-code-adopted-for-vintage-hobby/ Oh MY!!

In many ways I wish they would mandate a dress code like that shown in the picture. Back in the old days people used to dress sharp and neat. People dress like slobs these days.

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 09:10 AM
In many ways I wish they would mandate a dress code like that shown in the picture. Back in the old days people used to dress sharp and neat. People dress like slobs these days.

I wonder if dressing "sharper and neater" would make society, much less the hobby, any better than what it is.

W5BRM
08-20-2013, 09:51 AM
I wonder if dressing "sharper and neater" would make society, much less the hobby, any better than what it is.

The clothes dont make the man (or woman). I know a few rich who are complete and total pigs and I know less then fortunate folks who have nothing and are unfailingly polite. Sad that this is the reality.

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 09:55 AM
The clothes dont make the man (or woman). I know a few rich who are complete and total pigs and I know less then fortunate folks who have nothing and are unfailingly polite. Sad that this is the reality.

My point, exactly.

kb2vxa
08-20-2013, 10:06 AM
Well, to throw a bucket of cold water on the whole thing I remind you of an old and well known adage; clothes do not make the man (while environment makes the ham).

W3WN
08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
I wonder if dressing "sharper and neater" would make society, much less the hobby, any better than what it is.No. But only because you've reversed (IMHO) cause & effect.

The way society dresses is a reflection of the courtesy, manners & habits of that society. Not the other way around.

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
No. But only because you've reversed (IMHO) cause & effect.

The way society dresses is a reflection of the courtesy, manners & habits of that society. Not the other way around.

Spoken like a man with some years under his belt. Now GOMFL :stickpoke:

Damn, when I was a kid, if you didn't come to the dinner table with a nice shirt and decent pants on, you didn't get supper. What you did get was a right cross.

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 12:19 PM
Pournelle.

Look on the bright side... at least he's not a descendant of the family that created that famous French mustard.

Poupon. :snicker:

Or worse yet, descendant of a once famous but now economy vodka brand from the family Popov. Or as we used to say, ''poop off.''

kb2vxa
08-20-2013, 05:57 PM
Poupon, Popov. Poupon, Popov. Poupon, Popov. Poupon..........

suddenseer
08-20-2013, 07:30 PM
I bet John dresses that way all the time :rofl:
http://zareenashortfilm.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/mens-fashion.jpg

n2ize
08-22-2013, 04:14 PM

I think it would to a degree. Dressing neat instills a sense of self respect and self pride. And also appearance is what creates first impressions. Plus it would make hamfests a bit more tolerable. A bar of soap, and some neat clean clothes would hamfests a bit more breathable. ;)

n2ize
08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
No. But only because you've reversed (IMHO) cause & effect.

Very true. In days gone by even poor people used to try and dress their best and as neatly as possible on Sunday's and occasions where they would be seen among others i.e. churches, public gatherings, visiting others, etc. . It was seen as a matter of courtesy, respect, habits and reflected a sense of self pride. and politeness.

NQ6U
08-22-2013, 08:28 PM
Remember when you used to get dressed up to fly because it was something special and that's what people did? Now it's about as special as a bus ride downtown.

KG4CGC
08-22-2013, 08:47 PM
Remember when you used to get dressed up to fly because it was something special and that's what people did? Now it's about as special as a bus ride downtown.

People round these here parts used to get dressed up to stand on the sidewalk and watch a parade.
Now everyday is a parade. A parade of douche drippings.

kb2vxa
08-22-2013, 08:56 PM
"The way society dresses is a reflection of the courtesy, manners & habits of that society. Not the other way around."

Sonny, when I was your age...
The only time we dressed anything but neat as a pin was when we went out to play in the dirt. I don't know how girls dressed at those times, I didn't pay attention. Parents didn't play in the dirt so they were always neat, not quite Father Knows Best or Leave It To Beaver but neat. NOW take a look around, Sunday best went out the window, kids go to school looking like freaks and/or punks, they don't play in the dirt, they play on line and parents...

Oh, this is about hams. They dressed like parents, they smelled like parents, they WERE parents.

K7SGJ
08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
"The way society dresses is a reflection of the courtesy, manners & habits of that society. Not the other way around."

Sonny, when I was your age...
The only time we dressed anything but neat as a pin was when we went out to play in the dirt. I don't know how girls dressed at those times, I didn't pay attention. Parents didn't play in the dirt so they were always neat, not quite Father Knows Best or Leave It To Beaver but neat. NOW take a look around, Sunday best went out the window, kids go to school looking like freaks and/or punks, they don't play in the dirt, they play on line and parents...

Oh, this is about hams. They dressed like parents, they smelled like parents, they WERE parents.

When I was growing up, I rarely saw my Grandpa without a tie on, and most often a coat as well. And, whenever he left his house, he always wore a hat, too. Grandma always had some kind of a dress on unless she was working around the house, in which case she wore a "duster" or whatever they called them, over her dress. The only time I saw my dad in crummy clothes was when he was painting or cutting the lawn. Ma always looked nice, too. As for us kids, we had to dress in slacks and a nice shirt, not a tee, for school, and basically the same way for supper. Pretty damned close to LITB, or FKB. Weekends were tee shirts and jeans, or shorts.......woo hoo. And haircuts, don't get me started on them...................

KG4NEL
08-23-2013, 08:10 AM
I'll...umm...yeah.

n2ize
08-23-2013, 08:14 PM
People round these here parts used to get dressed up to stand on the sidewalk and watch a parade.
Now everyday is a parade. A parade of douche drippings.

When my parents were young and first got married they drove down to Florida. This was the 1950's and much of the "old south" still existed. There were many stretches where they had to take rural side roads, old farms, plantations, etc. At one point they were on a dirt road. It had rained the night before and the car got bogged down in some mud. My parents will never forget the Southern gentleman who stopped to help them out. He was on his way to church, it was Sunday. Impeccably dressed in a magnificent suit and hat and with perfect manners and hospitality. He send someone out to get a tow truck from a nearby garage and stayed with them and talked with my folks while they waited. The tow came quickly and pulled them from the mud. A true old fashioned well dressed southern gentleman in every way imaginable. Bet there ain't many round like that these days.

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
When my parents were young and first got married they drove down to Florida. This was the 1950's and much of the "old south" still existed. There were many stretches where they had to take rural side roads, old farms, plantations, etc. At one point they were on a dirt road. It had rained the night before and the car got bogged down in some mud. My parents will never forget the Southern gentleman who stopped to help them out. He was on his way to church, it was Sunday. Impeccably dressed in a magnificent suit and hat and with perfect manners and hospitality. He send someone out to get a tow truck from a nearby garage and stayed with them and talked with my folks while they waited. The tow came quickly and pulled them from the mud. A true old fashioned well dressed southern gentleman in every way imaginable. Bet there ain't many round like that these days.

Sure there are. They'd just rob them first.

KG4NEL
08-23-2013, 08:36 PM

The 1950s in the Old South had a lot of things that I'm glad don't exist in their same state today.

kb2vxa
08-23-2013, 09:35 PM
Yeah, like good race relations meant Jim Crow and the invisible slave chains kept "them" in their place. Now Obama can have a Po Boy in New Orleans but is he really welcome? Along those lines, the First Lady was always fashionable, remember Jack and Jackie?

Well, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
Yes, I see you got your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat
Well, you must tell me, baby
How your head feels under somethin' like that
Under your brand new leopard-skin pill-box hat

She was aped by every American woman BUT REALLY, don't you think Michelle is just a LITTLE over the top?

KG4NEL
08-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Dem arms. :cool2:

KC2UGV
08-24-2013, 10:58 AM
I think Michelle looks perpetually pissed off. Even when she's smiling.

n2ize
08-24-2013, 11:01 AM
The 1950s in the Old South had a lot of things that I'm glad don't exist in their same state today.

Of course there were a lot of things that were not good. I am just referring to one aspect that happened to be a good thing.

K7SGJ
08-24-2013, 12:16 PM
Of course there were a lot of things that were not good. I am just referring to one aspect that happened to be a good thing.

And that's one in a row......................:stirpot:

kb2vxa
08-24-2013, 02:05 PM
"I think Michelle looks perpetually pissed off."
She is. If you were seeing from her perspective you'd be knowing, not just thinking.

"Of course there were a lot of things that were not good."
Ah, NOW you agree with me? It must be my <cough> addicting personality. (;->)

"I am just referring to one aspect that happened to be a good thing."
From a White perspective. That "Southern Gentleman" wouldn't have been so gentlemanly or helpful had they been Black. Notice the word "gentleman" indicating moneyed gentry that always dresses well, exhibits impeccable manners and has his servants do the dirty work so he doesn't have a hair out of place... like your avatar. (;->)

WØTKX
08-24-2013, 02:12 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6701013504/hDBEC9E8D/