PDA

View Full Version : Well Bubba did it, why not the rest of us?

NA4BH
08-18-2013, 11:40 PM
Bubba open up and told us about where he lives (still lots of questions for him since none of us know a thing about Guam), why not let the world know about where you live.

I live in Jacksonville Alabama. A small college town that is located about half way between Atlanta and Birmingham. The population is around 12,000 people of permanent residence and doubles when school is in session. This is the time when it sucks because all the restaurants are packed. We are close to the highest point in Alabama, Cheaha Mountain 2407 feet high. We used to have a Military base locally (FT. McClellan) that was closed about 25 years ago, this put a big hurt on the economy. But it is slowly, very slowly, coming back. We have some of the best ribs and wings that you will ever find within 5 minutes of my house. This area is finally entering into the 20th century (LOL), with a few towns voting in Sunday sales of that demon alcohol.

People still hold doors for others and are quite eager to help their neighbor. We love the stereotypes that are given to the South, it keeps the riff-raff out. Plus it's always nice to see how college kids can trash a rented house in 3 months. Football is big around the State, but at the local University the band draws more people than the game, just look at the stands after halftime.

KG4CGC
08-19-2013, 01:31 AM
I'll play but let me cook my thoughts a bit longer.

N2NH
08-19-2013, 03:40 AM
I'm presently living in a rural area in the Catskill region that is also part of the Hudson Valley. If you've ever seen North-by-Northwest, the scene on the 20th Century Limited going up the river is pretty much what it looks like in the valley. Hasn't changed much with the Palisades across the river turning into the Hudson Highlands then as you get near here, the Catskill Mountains. As you go into the mountains, there are a lot of vineyards, some farms, a few resorts - some with horses. We have a number of colleges in the area. New Paltz is home to SUNY and it is like being in an episode of Big Bang Theory everytime I go there. The area is fairly depressed in terms of work and income. People do what they always do when times get hard like this and scrape by. The few who were flying Teabagger flags on the lawn seem to have removed them. I don't see any of them anywhere anymore. Everything is somewhere you have to drive to - a minimum of 20 minutes. There is nothing at all within walking distance and very little within bike riding distance either - especially if you have diabetic neuropathy. The local 'mass transit' is nowhere near this area and an appointment has to be made well in advance if you need to go somewhere. Up before dawn, you get picked up and pay from $4 to $6 just to go to the scheduled bus where you get to pay more to go near where you want to. You might have to go 30 miles out of your way and take yet another bus at another fare to get to your destination. Coming back? God only knows when or even if they'll come. Routes on a map are suggestions. Arrows point the way but nothing like a line on a road and schedule times are arbitrary.

Summers are hot to mild, Winters are cold and snowy. Last winter the snow was up to the top of the steps (4 feet high) three times when we had blizzards.

Floods. There are times when the valley floods. A 12 mile trip will turn into a 30-35 mile trip as you detour through the higher mountains to get to where you want to go.

Still, it is some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen and much healthier than living in the smudge that passes for air in NYC. I get to open the door every morning to birds singing, golden sunlight and a forest right outside the door. In Winter when the leaves drop, you can see mountains for miles around. It is so quiet as to drive the average person nuts. It's deafening. You can actually hear the quiet.

Operating. I don't know how HF works here. The area is high in iron, so the ground should be nearly as good as by the seashore. On VHF/UHF, despite the mountains, if you find the right spot (not too hard to do), you can hit repeaters up to 35 miles away. Recently I got an APRS packet to NYC at 5 Watts. Direct (believe me, I checked it out). So a decent HT will have quite a range.

http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/318046/North-By-Northwest-Movie-Clip-Cocktail-Before-Dinner-.html

Bubba
08-19-2013, 04:24 AM
.. I think its easier for everyone to have their own thread. That way the questions are not confusing.. What do you think..

Bubba
08-19-2013, 04:25 AM
How is the BBQ ?

KG4CGC
08-19-2013, 04:26 AM
We did an "On The Couch" thread a few years ago. Everyone got their own thread. It was more like a "Profiles In Psychology" type of thing.

Bubba
08-19-2013, 04:28 AM
We did an "On The Couch" thread a few years ago. Everyone got their own thread. It was more like a "Profiles In Psychology" type of thing.

Good, so Barkeep, tell us about yourself and why you are here today...

KG4CGC
08-19-2013, 04:38 AM
Good, so Barkeep, tell us about yourself and why you are here today...

Still cooking my thoughts. Right now I'm also cooking other things. I'll participate after I've had some rest.

N2NH
08-19-2013, 04:54 AM
How is the BBQ ?

If that's for me, most people here have a BBQ (I do not, I grill). There are a few restaurants that are into that. I doubt if they come close to southern BBQ and I'm pretty sure that the XYL's BBQ beats anything up here.

I think if you'll preface a question with the last 2 or 3 letters of the persons call, there won't be any confusion. ;)

NA4BH
08-19-2013, 08:32 AM
As far as BBQ here, we have a place called Cooter Browns http://cootersribs.com/ They have the best ribs in the South, in my opinion.

wa6mhz
08-19-2013, 09:04 AM
I live in CREST (DESPITE all the Black Widders) cuz it is the very BEST RF Location money can buy! It is at 1650ft above the El Cajon Valley (300ft), and is not right next to higher mountains, but is a mountain in itself. So I have a more or less clear shot 360 degrees. This makes for the very best VHF/UHF Contesting location you can find in SoCal.

Since we are located at the top of a mountain, housing is considerably CHEAPER than in the valley, as you have to drive up a long windy mountain road to get to the top. But this is also a plus for CRIME, as the Methheads and LOWLIFE seem content to RAPE and PILLAGE the valley instead and leave the mountain alone.

We DO have running water and AC Power on the hilltop, but I don't have GAS to our property. We do have to use a Septic System.

But something about the LOCATION means a higher percentage of Black Widder Spiders than any other location in SoCal. Don't know what it is, but I have known people to MOVE up here, and quickly SELL and move to the lowlands where it is SAFE to get away from the WIDDERS!

Another problem is FIRESTORMS. WE have had the town burn to the ground twice in the past 40 years, and it could happen again any day now. My house went up in flames in 1970, but squeaked through in 2003.

We are very ISOLATED up here. There are only 2 roads in and out. One UP the hill from the West and another going DOWN the hill to the East. So if there are any problems like Earthquakes, we are ON OUR OWN up here and may not be able to reach civilization til the roads are fixed.

But this is a HAM RADIO DREAM Location. NO CC&Rs, NO Rat Bastard HOAs, NO ANTENNA ORDINANCES!!! If U want to put up a hundred 200ft towers, KNOCK YOURSELF OUT! No one cares, no crabby neighbors, no city council to complain to. Everyone is HAPPY with Ham Radio up here, as they KNOW Hams are the LIFELINE to civilization in a disaster!

I am happy with Crest, 'cept for all these WIDDERS!!!

N2NH
08-19-2013, 09:31 AM
I live in CREST (DESPITE all the Black Widders) cuz it is the very BEST RF Location money can buy! It is at 1650ft above the El Cajon Valley (300ft), and is not right next to higher mountains, but is a mountain in itself. So I have a more or less clear shot 360 degrees. This makes for the very best VHF/UHF Contesting location you can find in SoCal.

[...]

Sounds like a DX'ers dream. How are the winters? Is there much snow at that elevation?

WX7P
08-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Stanford, Ill.
Population 800 about 18 miles sw of BloNo (Bloomington-Normal, Il.

Typical midwestern farm town with a big grain elevator and 4 churches, only one still open.

Except for the grain elevator and the fertilizer business next to it, there is only one open business here. It's a small bar/restaurant where it's obvious that drug dealing is going on. All the patrons are from out of town. Oh, the place is called "Tweakers" with big sign out front that says "EAT".

Like a lot of small midwestern towns, the population here is older. The young people don't stay after they get out of high school. I've done a far amount of research on this place and found that Stanford was once a vibrant community, with a store, car dealership, lumber yard and gas station. The guy that built our house in 1906 was the founder and president of the local bank which just closed for good earlier this year. The Railroad shut down in the early 80's, which was a huge blow to the town. That coupled with the Walmartization of America is why this place is slowly dying.

It's too bad the rural townships are decaying slowly. The people here are some of the nicest, friendly people I've ever met. No one has given us any shit about being from California, my antennas or anything else. Heh, the only jerk I've met here was the local ham radio operator. He was a real jerk. Go figure.

This place is quite the contrast to Tulelake (Modoc County, CA) where we lived for a few years. The demographics and dynamics of both places are the same. Once thriving insular communities torn apart by changing demographics and social changes. The difference is the people in Tulelake were bitter and angry and did virtually nothing to better their situation. Here, the locals make the best of their situation and try to make it work as best as possible. The sense of community is very strong.

wa6mhz
08-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Sounds like a DX'ers dream. How are the winters? Is there much snow at that elevation?

We have no comprehension of "SNOW" here except in SNOW CONES and MARGARITAS!

Winter means it might dip down into the 50s on a cold night.

50 is ARTIC CONDITIONS for San Diegans!

KG4NEL
08-19-2013, 10:45 AM
I move too often to have one thread, lulz

W2NAP
08-19-2013, 01:01 PM
I live in Anderson,IN part of the northeast empire (Anderson/Muncie) Indianapolis Metro (the valley) stops at the SW at the Madison/Hamilton county line. (just west of the mm214 I-69) And honestly it pisses us off to be considered "part of Indianapolis" cause we dont really have anything in common nor want to be part of Indy.

Weather - in winter its usually cold with N.W. wind cranking 20+mph every day down right miserable. but a good south wind for a time can bring up the "south" winter where we could be in the 40s/50s. spring/fall can be hot,mild,cold and summer normally is ether Hot humid or Hot Dry depending on the winds. (south/southwest wind brings in the gulf moisture, WSW wind brings in the usually desert dry air from the U.S. southwest.) coldest ive ever seen was -36F (yes thats MINUS 36) warmest ive seen is 105+. we get snow,blizzards,ice storms,tornadoes. actually we avg 20 tornadoes a year and really along with Illinois were part of tornado alley but we can get tornadoes any time of the year Jan-Dec but usually its Mar-Nov but everything goes in cycles honestly. some winters are very cold (Hey Janet I hope you like cold cause minus 20 minus 30 is not uncommon around these parts of the midwest :stickpoke:) and some summers are miserable hot others pretty mild.

Gas has been floating between the 3.50 - 4 dollar mark for last few years some of the highest prices outside of the chicago area can be found here

We have been wrecked economically due to the loss of GM in 1999, we survived for awhile do to the underground economy via "illegal" gaming at the bars and such till the horse track called hoosier park decided they wanted to be pretend vegas and sent in the state goons to raid all the bars in 07/08 that IMO was the nail in the coffin cause things aint been right since. people have no idea how much those "illegal" machines kept things going here. 90% of the bars never reopened.

Since the gaming raids crime has ridden rapidly course REAL unemployment (not the bullshit numbers the government puts out to make them look good) is really at the 20-40% mark. Madison county/Anderson has become #1 in meth production in Indiana in a way I dont blame them for doing it ether its about the only way to make real money around here. if you stick to the legal way you are pretty much stuck with min wage a day or two a week and maybe having to burn a shitload of fuel to get to the min wage job down in Indy. we have lost about 40,000 jobs since 1980 and only gained maybe a thousand or two so were at a big net loss. those that had the money to get out got out some years ago everyone else is stuck here.

We used to have a "Midnight Parade" which started at midnight July 4th, but it was done away with, city money was a problem but they wouldnt want to admit it was the thugs that caused the dropping of the parade. last year we had it. we had a lot of fights,shit stolen out of cars, and people robbed.

Our school system is shit the downfall started when they started busing kids cross the city closing the local schools course in the name of diversity. All it did was take a couple bad schools and spread them all over the city, thus causing people who could leave to leave, thus enrollment went down fast and the costs for ACS went up. (not cheap to run 500+ school buses when fuel floats 3.50+ and diesel is 4.19 plus insurance on the buses paying the drivers) so ACS is the school system people wish to avoid. in such we went from having 3 high schools to 1. 3 jr highs to 1 and many elementary schools to just a few. its actually bad enough that my area "north anderson/richland twp" has tried to break away from ACS.

Muncie our neighboring empire city to the east has many of the same problems but survive better due to ball state uni.

Anderson I forsee to become just another Gary. Last year we lost 2 police dogs. 3 weeks apart. something I hear is unheard of even in places like LA and NYC.

radio! Anderson Police have there own system on 450Mhz which works well. all other cities and towns are dispatched via Madison County Sheriff's Dept system on 800Mhz. all are dispatched out of the communication center on west 8th st. Ham we have 7 repeaters most are dead all the time. 145.39,146.82,147.090,147.435* mine, 443.35,444.675 and one on 900. broadcast radio we have 89.5, 91.7, 96.7, 97.9, 98.7, 101.7, 1240, and 1470. 97.9 98.7 101.7 and 1470 are all bible banger 89.5 is ball state, 91.7 is owned by south madison community schools 96.7 is classic rock and 1240 is news/talk. we have no TV in Anderson, Muncie has PBS 49 which actually transmits on channel 23

KB3LAZ
08-19-2013, 06:32 PM
Often times I live in the confines of my prison like mind because that is where I feel safest. Particularly due to the fact that I am a small town country boy living in a large city. Born and raised in West Salem Twp outside of Greenville PA. Greenville in its entirety has a population of about 6,000. However I live outside of town. There is a large amount of land and thus it feels like the population is very little. Venturing into town leads to seeing more than a few old family owned stores and many familiar faces.

I do find that there are a fair share of closed minded people in my hometown and surrounding areas but interestingly it is the younger generation rather than the elder. I find it to be the opposite in the city. Nonetheless I have always felt at home because there is very little traffic, drama, etc. There is a lot of wide open space where one can lose themselves without a seconds thought. I had ventured out of my little area long enough to go to university but did not hold much interest in that. That is, until I met my wife and then my tiny little world imploded. Little did I know there was a whole world out there just waiting to be discovered. Discover I have, that is for sure.

I currently live in Alicante city in the Province of Alicante Spain. Or rather just outside of it. The population is estimated at around 335,000. During the tourist season that jumps significantly. Since the area is a popular for tourism as well as a hotbed for Euro retirees the level of diversity is quite high. It sure is an interesting place to live and will remain that way for awhile. However it is not a place that I would choose to live out my days.

I would explain the Spanish culture itself but that is a task that is not easy as it differs widely from region to region. Particularly from province to province. This is really something one has to witness for themselves. It is easily seen in Toledo where three cultures have coexisted for many years. That aside, as a general rule, Spain is one part Medieval and one part modern which in its own is a sight. The days start late, have an intermission, and end in the wee morning hours.

The only thing I can sum up in a short period of time and it is certain is that I feel much like a mouse straight out of a corn field in Iowa that has wondered into NYC.

NQ6U
08-19-2013, 07:34 PM
I live in Lemon Grove, California, a dull, working-class suburb that abuts the unfashionable eastern city limit of San Diego. Not much happens here and what does happen generally is not good.

It is, however, rather ham radio-friendly. Eighty-foot tower? No problem. Here's your permit (for a nominal fee, of course).

K7SGJ
08-19-2013, 07:41 PM
I live in Lemon Grove, California, a dull, working-class suburb that abuts the unfashionable eastern city limit of San Diego. Not much happens here and what does happen generally is not good.

It is, however, rather ham radio-friendly. Eighty-foot tower? No problem. Here's your permit (for a nominal fee, of course).

Is it true that all the houses there are going to be torn down so they can build a slum?

n2ize
08-19-2013, 07:49 PM
Operating. I don't know how HF works here. The area is high in iron, so the ground should be nearly as good as by the seashore.

One sure way to find out :) Rig up an 80 or 160 meter doublet, feed it with open wire into a tuner, connect it to the rig, tune up and fire away. Such an antenna should work pretty darned good on 160, 80, 40, 20 and 10. On 75 meters you should hear me no problem. I used to bomb in to that area and right on up through the Adirondacks.. Even during the day time. It would be like talking right next door.

On VHF/UHF, despite the mountains, if you find the right spot (not too hard to do), you can hit repeaters up to 35 miles away. Recently I got an APRS packet to NYC at 5 Watts. Direct (believe me, I checked it out). So a decent HT will have quite a range.

When I used to go up to the Adirondacks I used to hit the Mt. Equinox repeater which was almost 100 miles away. It was crazy. You'd think you were talking to someone a quarter mile away and yet the repeater was pretty darned far. The you walk down a hill an little ways and you lose it completely.

As far as a rundown of this area I'll write it up when I have more time. What will be even more interesting is in 10 years or less when I am on here describing my station way up in the northlands.

KK4AMI
08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
I live in Charlottesville, Virginia.

I'm retired from the US Army and my XYL is an ER Nurse. We are the classic civil service couple. We are nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains which is also a college town for the University of Virginia. I'm actually south of C-ville on a hilltop in the woods. My XYL named the place "Beagles Nest". Obviously because of our dogs and to make fun of my German heritage. It's a basic 1960s brick ranch. Our neighbors are few and far between and they don't laugh when I stand near naked in my boxers on the back porch. I bought this place because of the great hunting and all the farms surrounding us. I only took up Amateur Radio a couple of years ago, but the property worked out. I'm up plenty high enough for two long wire antennas, but I do have a tall tree issue.10452

N8GAV
08-19-2013, 08:41 PM
Wintersville, Ohio is a small village of 3,000 just west of Steubenville, the county seat of Jefferson. Steubenville and Wintersville share the same zip code. We are on the Ohio River, and are 39 miles west of downtown Pittsburgh Pa., 2hrs. east of Columbus, just over 2hrs from Cleavland to the northeast. We did have Steel Mills until the past 2 years when they were closed, only one left in this area running acrossed the river in Weirton, Wv., and a Coke Plant acrossed the river in Follansbee, Wv. Unempolyment rate was at 18%, but is now around 9% .Steubenville is located near two large shale formations - the Marcellus and Utica formations. Exploiting the trapped shale oil is projected to bring 15,000 jobs to the area, though many have protested the practice of companies like Chesapeake Energy hiring non-local workers. They are building a pipe line under the Ohio River running east to a town named Huston in Pa. and going west to Cadiz, Ohio
where they have builted a plant to refind the gas and oil. But the biggest surprise of all is they found a pool of tar under the the shale formations they are calling "The Peadmount Pool". This pool is so deep and so wide and long no one knew it was there. I see pipe lines being run all over town and drill rigs going up things are picking up here a bit. Talk is a plastic plant is looking to move to this area that will bring in 1,000 jobs over two years time, but the question is will it come to Ohio or West Virginia. So that's what is going on in my neck of the woods.

n2ize
08-19-2013, 09:04 PM
I live in CREST (DESPITE all the Black Widders)

What the heck are "widders" and what is this thing with them ?

K7SGJ
08-19-2013, 10:23 PM

I'm retired from the US Army and my XYL is an ER Nurse. We are the classic civil service couple. We are nestled in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains which is also a college town for the University of Virginia. I'm actually south of C-ville on a hilltop in the woods. My XYL named the place "Beagles Nest". Obviously because of our dogs and to make fun of my German heritage. It's a basic 1960s brick ranch. Our neighbors are few and far between and they don't laugh when I stand near naked in my boxers on the back porch. I bought this place because of the great hunting and all the farms surrounding us. I only took up Amateur Radio a couple of years ago, but the property worked out. I'm up plenty high enough for two long wire antennas, but I do have a tall tree issue.10452

Nice diggs.

W2NAP
08-20-2013, 12:21 AM

http://www.sonichu.com/cwcki/Main_Page
http://www.sonichu.com/cwcki/Chris

why would you people in virginia let this happen?

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 12:48 AM
Until they're done, here are a few local pictures and links.

http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/Dog%20Walk?sort=3&page=1
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Houses/La_Moo_Terra.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/Poinsette%20Bridge%20Greenville%20Asheville%20High way?sort=3&page=1
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/Relics?sort=3&page=1
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/Trees%20After%20Dark?sort=3&page=1
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Train_Easley/Tressel_Saluda_01copy_zpscba448a0.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Train_Easley/122a1cfa.jpg
http://s25.photobucket.com/user/bebop5/library/Train_Easley?sort=3&page=1

KK4AMI
08-20-2013, 06:15 AM
Beautiful pictures. They almost look antique except for the "Get her done" graffiti on the bridge. Is that around Ashville, NC?

KK4AMI
08-20-2013, 06:24 AM

I read that and I still can't figure out what happened?

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 10:30 AM
Greenville SC. Asheville looks even older. They preserve their old buildings.

NQ6U
08-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Is it true that all the houses there are going to be torn down so they can build a slum?

No, it's not. A slum would cost too much. But I should point out that we do have something here of which you will all be envious—a giant, stucco lemon.

http://i815.photobucket.com/albums/zz79/gyrogeerloose/giantlemon.jpg

Eat your hearts out.

PA5COR
08-20-2013, 11:54 AM
Living in the small provincial city SNEEK about 35.000 people live here, centralised in the province ( state) Friesland, and so lots of people around Sneek come here shopping, old innercity, buildings dating back to 1000 A.D., the city itsself was founded 100 B.C. when the first people decided to start living here, the Sea still had unbridled access to the country then.
Houses were build on mounds, and slowly levee's were build, the Romans were drowned by the Frisians and never suceeded to conquer the province.

I live on the edge of the town, when i came here in this house 20 yards away the city stopped and the cows were grazing in the meadows, but since then a new part of town was build there.

Still relatively low noiselevel, even for 160, my main band of interest.
My father was a policeman, i was therefore born in the Hague where he was stationed then, on the ripe age of 10 i came to live here where he got his next assignment till his pension.
I went to business school, and the follow up higher business school, then was adopted by Her Majesties Customs to work on Schiphol Airport
Since i was 12 ( now 49 years back) i was interested in receivers building stuff ( tubes) like amps for the schoolband illegal FM transmitters etc.
On my duty at Schiphol airport i met PA0GE ( s.k) and he interested me in ham radio, so i started to learn and got my license in 1977.
Never recovered from that bug....
Most my activeties were building my own stuff then, simply because factory stuff was horrendously expensive, and because i could and had fun in it.

Soon went over to transistors, Fet's GaAs fets etc.
Mostly active on 2/70 just listening on H.F. and my interests were low signal 2/70 work, aurora, sporadic E, airplane bouncing etc, been there, done it. got the QSL cards from that, worked all Europe and USSR then, made my own transverters for 2/70/23.
Mast pre amps with the Mitsubishi GaAs fets, P.A. with 2 x MRF 247 traansistors in push/pull.
Tube amp QQE 06-40 and 70 cm with tube for 100 watts out after the 5 watt transverter.

Homebrewed antenna's as well, stacked 2 x 12 elements for 2 meters 2 x 23 elements for 70 and a 19 dBd directional one for 23.
I could come out on H.F. but wasn't interested the first 17 years, just listened in and tried to build noiseblankers to fight the qrm from the woodpecker the oldies will remember.....;)

Since 10 years i went the different way, ditched 2/70/23 and went the H.F. way, looked for a challenge and found it in 160 meters and the problems to build a decent antenna in a small city plot ( 100 x 25 feet), and did that, see my posts in the antenna section.

Gear used at the time Yaesu FT 2000 - D with Heathkit SB-1000 which totally rebuild with new 3-500ZG tube etc, Antenna tuners MFJ 998, MFJ 993-b, EQplus, MD-1 microphone. Other transceivers FT 100 the mobile set and the FT 847 with Collins filters.
And a bunch of other stuff see QRZ .
The legal limit MFJ 998 tunes the inverted L at the feedpoint for 160-10.

Since last year living alone with my son here, wife devorced and left after being together for 33 years and 25 married.
At least no more nagging about "another antenna???" lol.
Not working anymore, partialy disabled, and doing the odd job on the side with organising fairs, etc.
Full time hobbyist, sportshooting big bore handguns/rifles, reloading, reading books if anyone still knows what they are, 95% in English.
Satellite hobby, build my first dish 7 feet diameter and mount and motor and first receiver 20 odd years back only professional stuff was for sale what was extremely expensive....
Just replaced the old setup for HD reciever linux VU+ solo, actuator driven 1.1 meter dish 23 statellites with 16.000 channels or so.
I worked after being a Customs Officer as articulated lorry driver through Europe for 6 years, cable welder for the Dutch PTT telecom for home phone connections, and 15 years as pipefitter, 1st mechanic and certified T.I.G. welder in beer and milk factories and Stainless steel stuff.
That last job was mostly outside the Netherlands, Germany, former East Germany, Belgium etc.
Had a few contacts with members here on 10/12/15 not as much as i wanted, but there is a time difference here ;)
When you are waky waky i'm sleeping...:angel:

N2NH
08-20-2013, 12:00 PM
No, it's not. A slum would cost too much. But I should point out that we do have something here of which you will all be envious—a giant, stucco lemon.

Eat your hearts out.

Reminds me of my first car...

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 12:11 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_League_World_Series

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 12:15 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Houses/Piedmont_House_Sign.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Houses/Pickens_House_01.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Houses/Oolenoy_House_01_sign.jpg

KK4AMI
08-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Living in the small provincial city SNEEK about 35.000 people live here, :angel:

That is an unusual name for a town. Does SNEEK have a local meaning? I'm already wondering if the local residents are referred to as Sneeks or Sneekers. :lol:

W2NAP
08-20-2013, 01:33 PM
I read that and I still can't figure out what happened?

its messed up. really messed up.

PA5COR
08-20-2013, 01:42 PM
We're called Snekers...
The name comes from Ter Snake a outrunner of the sea that brought seawater inland a sort of naturral canal, used for early shipping and so the name came up as Ter Snake, later changed to Sneek ( pronounce like snake).
Because of the natural way these waterways formed they looked like a snake.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneek

Though traces of buildings and permanent living from B.C. are found the City really grew from the end of the 9th century.
Sneek was founded in the 10th century on a sandy peninsula at the crossing site of dike (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Levee) with an important waterway (called the Magna Fossa in old documents). This waterway was dug when the former Middelzee (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Middelzee) silted up. The dike can still be traced in the current street pattern and street names like "Hemdijk", "Oude Dijk" and "Oosterdijk".
Sneek received several city rights (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/City_rights) in the 13th century, which became official in 1456. Sneek was now one of the eleven Frisian cities. This was also the beginning of a period of blooming trade for the city that would last until about 1550. In 1492 construction of a moat and wall around the city began. In those days Sneek was the only walled city in Friesland. The waterpoort (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Waterpoort) and the bolwerk (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Bolwerk) remain today.

Called the Venetia of the north through the many canals in the city.

Sneek is well known as the center of watersports with over 130 watersport companies and 13 Marinas (https://forums.hamisland.net/wiki/Marina). Also it has a monumental inner-city with the old and famous gentlemen's houses.

KG4NEL
08-20-2013, 01:45 PM

I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at.

kb2vxa
08-20-2013, 01:53 PM
It happens every time I look in the mirror.

WX7P
08-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Eat your hearts out.

That leaves a sour taste in my mouth

WX7P
08-20-2013, 01:57 PM
Living in the small provincial city SNEEK ...

Does that mean if you post photos you're giving us a "Sneek Preview"?

KK4AMI
08-20-2013, 03:27 PM

Ya know, you can be shipped out to that home for ol' punsters. I think it's in Arizona.

NQ6U
08-20-2013, 03:30 PM

That was a Sneek attack, Janet.

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Ya know, you can be shipped out to that home for ol' punsters. I think it's in Arizona.

No, please don't ship her here, Sherriff Joe will toss her out on her ass unless she has a green card. How about 3 land or 4 land?

K7SGJ
08-20-2013, 04:00 PM
That was a Sneek attack, Janet.

And as for you, how about Greenland?

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Downtown Greenville, oft referred to as G'vegas.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/f987cc2e.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/7b5c66a0.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/DSC_0033resize.jpg

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 04:06 PM
Another DT view.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/11edb924.jpg

N2NH
08-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Another DT view.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/001/11edb924.jpg

Beautiful. Looks like a very nice small city. They build tall buildings like that so people can put repeaters on them.

WX7P
08-20-2013, 06:17 PM
You could say that Greenville is "puttin on the ritz" (cracker)

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 07:06 PM
You could say that Greenville is "puttin on the ritz" (cracker)

Not intended to be political.
Do Tea Partiers eat Ritz crackers? This is a TP town.

W2NAP
08-20-2013, 07:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5e/Anderson-indiana-from-above.jpg
Anderson looking west you can see some of the leveled out places that used to be factories

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicc/cfiles9339.jpg
Pic taken from the tower apartments (now closed) looking north

http://victoria-weather.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/andersonIN.jpg
12th and Meridian looking north

http://ultimategto.com/whbu1240.htm
Destruction of the WHBU 1240AM tower

WX7P
08-20-2013, 07:35 PM
cool pics, Tony, Thanks.

Where's the decay?

KK4AMI
08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
I hate to say it but that looks like one perfect and classic midwestern town to me. I guess if you were all wax figures posed on the street it would be perfect, but since you are "real" people you do need jobs.

W2NAP
08-20-2013, 08:52 PM
cool pics, Tony, Thanks.

Where's the decay?

its there, most residential areas are not very well. high crime.

WØTKX
08-23-2013, 01:37 PM
As usual, I'll say it with pictures, 'cause gosh darn it, I'm so "visual".

But, for what it's worth, here's a linky with demographics and stuff, and stuff...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Evergreen-Colorado.html (http://www.city-data.com/city/Evergreen-Colorado.html)

"Downtown" Evergreen, Colorado. The infamous "Little Bear", burgers, beer, and live music.

http://www.evergreeninsidescoop.com/Evergreen_Inside_Scoop.jpg

Typical cause of a traffic jam...

http://pics4.city-data.com/cpicv/vfiles10219.jpg

Aerial of the lake... I drive past it every day. That's Mt. Evans in the background, a 14k' peak with a paved road to the top.

http://www.forestheightslodge.org/uploads/3/0/4/6/3046697/6831585_orig.jpg

Main intersection in town. It looks like this a lot, plenty of snow...

http://www.coloradomountainhomesite.com/briefcase/92436_712201175123AM51459.jpg

Here's another pic of the lake, in the fall. I really like living around here. It's a relief to commute home and see this...

http://www.tuppersteam.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/IMG_0102.jpg

Here's a Google Maps view (and link (https://www.google.com/maps/preview#!q=6863+S+Snowshoe+Trail%2C+Evergreen%2C+C O&data=!1m7!1m3!1d3280!2d-105.421399!3d39.602819!2m2!1f90!2f77.32!2m1!1e3!4m 10!1m9!4m8!1m3!1d212258!2d-105.4659279!3d39.6387184!3m2!1i1548!2i829!4f13.1&fid=7)) of my 'lil spot on the planet. I am so damn lucky to be here. :agree:

Oh, wait. There IS a cartoon. :lol:

http://www.speedydoodle.com/wp-content/gallery/illustrations/colorado.jpg

KG4CGC
08-23-2013, 02:00 PM
Hey cool pics, Dave. Where are the Brickleberry people?

WØTKX
08-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Playing hide and seek in the pussy willows?

http://4.images.comedycentral.com/images/shows/brickleberry/site/brickleberry_01_110_05_480x270.jpg?width=480&height=270&crop=true

Fooling around (NSFW) down by the falls??

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7mwj4ZbPZ1qz8x31o1_r1_400.gif

KG4CGC
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
Hope they make new episodes!

Thinking of a SC reference. The only one that comes to mind is South Park during the Civil War reenactment episode where Cartman thought the South was supposed to win and the whole stae of SC showed up to fight.

w2amr
08-24-2013, 04:52 AM
National Park, NJ
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Park,_New_Jersey
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Mercer

NY4Q
08-24-2013, 06:38 AM

This had set up shop in one of my mountain bike shoes earlier this year. I've heard you TALK a lot about Black Widows, but I can't recall seeing any proof...
---

Anyway, I reside in Dahlonega, GA. The site of the first US Gold Rush in 1829. Its a small town with a Military College & an Army Ranger Training Camp (mountain training).

We have great fishing, hiking, & biking.

NY4Q
08-24-2013, 06:40 AM
As usual, I'll say it with pictures, 'cause gosh darn it, I'm so "visual".

But, for what it's worth, here's a linky with demographics and stuff, and stuff...

http://www.city-data.com/city/Evergreen-Colorado.html (http://www.city-data.com/city/Evergreen-Colorado.html)

"Downtown" Evergreen, Colorado. The infamous "Little Bear", burgers, beer, and live music.

Beautiful place!

N7YA
08-25-2013, 07:20 AM
You guys really want me to express my disdain for Las Vegas again?

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 08:47 AM

It depends on your Maine motivation.

PA5COR
08-25-2013, 08:47 AM
We can't get enough of your very livid description of Vegas ;)

N7YA
08-25-2013, 03:13 PM
I figure i could write a book about this big septic christmas tree. But once we move back home, i will be spending more time not thinking about the 30 years wasted...better late than never. :)

WØTKX
08-25-2013, 04:25 PM
Your pictures outside of Vegas are pretty nice tho...

W2NAP
08-25-2013, 06:18 PM
Anyway, I reside in Dahlonega, GA. The site of the first US Gold Rush in 1829. Its a small town with a Military College & an Army Ranger Training Camp (mountain training).

but any gold?

kb2vxa
08-25-2013, 06:35 PM
No, BA gots all da bling... FOO!

NY4Q
08-25-2013, 07:20 PM
but any gold?

Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gold_Rush

And after looking at that Wiki, I see Dahlonega had the second US Gold Rush, not the first.

W2NAP
08-25-2013, 07:49 PM
Yes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_Gold_Rush

And after looking at that Wiki, I see Dahlonega had the second US Gold Rush, not the first.

any left?

if so you could be rich right now

WX7P
08-25-2013, 08:15 PM

C'mon, Adam. A city that did this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3K3kEDEAN4

can't be all bad.

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 09:17 PM

can't be all bad.

I think he'd be more inclined to agree if they did that to the whole place.

KG4CGC
08-26-2013, 02:31 AM

can't be all bad.

HOLY VELVEETA AND CHEEZUZ!

K9CCH
08-26-2013, 03:41 AM
I live in Houston.

Do we really need pics? I mean - its Houston.

wa6mhz
08-26-2013, 08:48 AM
This had set up shop in one of my mountain bike shoes earlier this year. I've heard you TALK a lot about Black Widows, but I can't recall seeing any proof...
---

YIKES!!!! That is a BAD ASS ONE!!!!

So far, this year has been pretty good for Widders. Of course, the Garage is chock full of them, but I just leveled the Shed and Horse corral, so all the widders there are out of a home. Hopefully they aren't headed towards the house. Maybe the Lizards were able to intercept them as they headed Southeast! The only time U normally see the Widders is after dark, as they hide during the day.

KG4CGC
08-30-2013, 11:30 PM
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/bebop5/Dog%20Walk/13499293.jpg