PDA

View Full Version : Study: Facebook Makes Users Unhappy.

N2NH
08-18-2013, 07:22 AM
I got rid of my account around the beginning of the Year. At the time Facebook seemed to be less of a social interaction site and more of a place to give away your privacy...

"On the surface, Facebook provides an invaluable resource for fulfilling the basic human need for social connection," said University of Michigan social psychologist Ethan Kross, lead author of the study.

"But rather than enhance well-being, we found that Facebook use predicts the opposite result -- it undermines it."

The researchers recruited 82 young adults who had smartphones and Facebook accounts and assessed their subjective well-being by texting them at random times five times a day for two weeks.

The researchers said the study, published in the scientific journal PLOS, was believed to be the first measuring Facebook's impact on happiness and life satisfaction.

"This is a result of critical importance because it goes to the very heart of the influence that social networks may have on people's lives," said University of Michigan cognitive neuroscientist John Jonides, another author of the paper.

The researchers monitored the study group by asking them how they felt, whether they were worried or lonely, how much they used Facebook and how much they interacted "directly" with people.

"The more people used Facebook at one time point, the worse they felt the next time we text-messaged them," the researchers wrote. "The more they used Facebook over two weeks, the more their life satisfaction levels declined over time."

In contrast, personal interactions led people to feel better over time, they noted.

Facebook is also highly addictive if the guys I hung around with are any indication.

Facebook boosts connections, not happiness (http://www.newsdaily.com/article/794f2d35162bee6dcd208b2238133c47/facebook-boosts-connections-not-happiness-study)

PA5COR
08-18-2013, 08:06 AM
Dumped all social media long time ago.
Don't miss it either ;)

W5BRM
08-18-2013, 09:16 AM
I had FB for a few months. Had a bunch of RL friends on it and they did nothing but post the same mind numbing political/LGBT/Prodrug/Civil Unrest crap. Over and over and OVER again ad infinitum ad nauseum. Finally just dumped it all together. I do have several twitter accts but hardly use them anymore. One for my gaming interest, one for ham radio and one for my employment lifestyle.

I like the idea of FB but it's how the current crop of whackjobs (normal humans?) have altered its purpose to show how trashy humans can really be. I just as soon have nothing to do with it anymore.

KJ3N
08-18-2013, 09:58 AM
Coming up on my 5th year on FB. Can't say I pay that much attention to it and I certainly don't post much of anything.

As to the "political/LGBT/Pro-drug/Civil Unrest crap", doesn't bother me in the slightest. Then again, I'm a recreational pot-smoking, drinking, god-less, Commie, Liberal Atheist. :neener:

W5BRM
08-18-2013, 10:09 AM
I dont have a problem with it either. My issue is primarily that its the same thing over and over and over again. the same messages, same pictures, same memes etc. Theres only so many ways you can send a message or belief to try to make a difference. Once you send the same message or belief more then a few times, it becomes monotonous and begins to be an annoyance to whoever your followers might be..

Simpler way to put it, If I'm a friend with someone or several someones, they only need post thier preferences or ideals a few times for me to get the message. not the same crap day after day for months on end...lol. If they overdo it, then they take on the aspects of a soapbox preacher on the street corner and the message gets lost after more then a few preachings. THATS what I see all over FB. THATS why I dropped it..

K7SGJ
08-18-2013, 10:25 AM
I never did get into the social networking scene. When I feel the need to "fulfill my basic human need for a social connection", I call a friend or adopt another dog.

KG4CGC
08-18-2013, 10:28 AM
I never did get into the social networking scene. When I feel the need to "fulfill my basic human need for a social connection", I call a friend or adopt another dog.

LOL! You could have also said, When I feel the need to "fulfill my basic human need for a social connection", I make friends with my hand.

That would have also been an acceptable answer.

K7SGJ
08-18-2013, 10:34 AM
LOL! You could have also said, When I feel the need to "fulfill my basic human need for a social connection", I make friends with my hand.

That would have also been an acceptable answer.

A dog lasts longer.

WØTKX
08-18-2013, 11:04 AM
Facebook is mostly for family, and a few old school chums.

There are a few from Hamis on there as well.

n2ize
08-18-2013, 11:14 AM
I have no problem with FB. I use it to keep in touch with a few people and I use it to keep posted on my orchestra, they post new member pics, concert pics, some announcements, and a few other things there. Also use it to keep in touch with a few general interest groups like school alumni, news about old neighborhoods, etc. I agree, a lot of it is repetition, like one friend that posts nothing but conspiracy theories. So I more or less ignore the redundant stuff like that. For me its just a took to keep posted on a few areas on interest, groups, and a handful of individuals. Does it depress me ? No. Do I feel I need to run away from it ? No. Do I feel the need to use it everyday ? No. Just another part of the Internet.

N2CHX
08-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Coming up on my 5th year on FB. Can't say I pay that much attention to it and I certainly don't post much of anything.

As to the "political/LGBT/Pro-drug/Civil Unrest crap", doesn't bother me in the slightest. Then again, I'm a recreational pot-smoking, drinking, god-less, Commie, Liberal Atheist. :neener:

Heh, I was gonna write pretty much the same thing but then I decided it was just easier to quote you. Gotta say though, if I didn't have to have it to promote my business, I think I would dump FB. I am on it less and less these days and yeah, I post political rants on it (as you well know LOL)

suddenseer
08-18-2013, 11:46 AM
FB is the only way my daughter communicates with me. First, it was My Space. I don't post, or read it much.

KG4NEL
08-19-2013, 10:49 AM
I dont have a problem with it either. My issue is primarily that its the same thing over and over and over again. the same messages, same pictures, same memes etc. Theres only so many ways you can send a message or belief to try to make a difference. Once you send the same message or belief more then a few times, it becomes monotonous and begins to be an annoyance to whoever your followers might be..

I did drop a few people that were incapable of making their own content - if I wanted to see regurgitations and memes all the time, I'd go to Tumblr...

I've been a member since it started and was college-only, and I still find it useful.

K9CCH
08-19-2013, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking about deleting my FB account for some time now. I don't tweet much anymore, although I do have an account.

NY4Q
08-19-2013, 08:02 PM
I used it back when it was colleges-only. It was very handy in keeping up with the guys that were in college riding bikes with us.

THEN, they opened it up to everyone and it went from a gated community to a trailer park.

Bye bye Spacebook (fiveish years ago)

wa6mhz
08-20-2013, 08:46 AM
I get Demoralized looking at Facebook. All these folks post pix of what THEY are having for dinner. Steaks, Chops, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Ribs, Cheeseburgers, luxurious FINE DINING, lobster, etc.

Meanwhile, I am eating Queasy Dillas which are not tasty at all.

It is sort of a "LOOK WHAT I GET TO EAT AND YOU DON'T!!!!" deal

KG4CGC
08-20-2013, 03:24 PM
I get Demoralized looking at Facebook. All these folks post pix of what THEY are having for dinner. Steaks, Chops, Prime Rib, Filet Mignon, Ribs, Cheeseburgers, luxurious FINE DINING, lobster, etc.

Meanwhile, I am eating Queasy Dillas which are not tasty at all.

It is sort of a "LOOK WHAT I GET TO EAT AND YOU DON'T!!!!" deal
Too bad you can't eat a radio, eh?
(come on. you knew that was coming)