PDA

View Full Version : Magic Numbers

W3WN
08-17-2013, 01:15 PM
The magic number is, as of this afternoon, 10.

As of the conclusion of last night's game against the Diamondbacks, the Pirates have 72 wins, with about 6 weeks of the season left to go. 10 more wins guarantees them their first winning season in 20 years. :pray:

You know, it's hard to send CW when you're keeping your fingers crossed...

W2NAP
08-17-2013, 05:40 PM
10 wins in 6 weeks? that should be totally doable.

W3WN
08-18-2013, 01:03 AM
Yeah. Well, they can't lose them all. Not unless they play like they did this afternoon. Yuch.

W3WN
08-18-2013, 05:29 PM
I shouldn't have said anything.

W2NAP
08-18-2013, 11:15 PM
plenty of time to get 10 wins..

W3WN
08-20-2013, 07:05 AM
Nine.

Sorry Pat.

wa6mhz
08-20-2013, 08:40 AM
Have them play the PADRES! They will get the rest of the wins they need!

W3WN
08-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Have them play the PADRES! They will get the rest of the wins they need!Ah, well, guess where who they played last night? And will play tonight and tomorrow?

suddenseer
08-20-2013, 05:44 PM
Magic number in August? Wow, just 10? It is almost in the bag. Remember the kick ass all season Red's these last few years. They win their division, and get killed in the first post season round. I am thinking about the no hitter served up by the Phillie's ace Roy Halladay. The second no hitter in post season history (we should all the the first). Hang in there Ron.

WX7P
08-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Unless the Pirates collapse like the 1963 Phillies, I think .500 is in the bag. You should set your sights higher, Ron.

As usual, ESPN is all Yankees, Dodgers, Rangers and BoSox. It's like the A's and Pirates don't exist.

ESPN is having a collective orgasm over the Rangers and their recent streak, which coincidentally was against teams with the worst ERAs in the league. Wow, THAT'S impressive. ESPN didn't say diddly when the A's mowed through the NL East and Central.

If I see the name "Yasiel Puig" one more time, I think I'm going to puke.

W3WN
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
You don't really want to know what I think of the yutzes at ESPN, do you?

It's not a question of setting my sights high. But after the August collapse two years ago, and then last years... first things first.

They have GOT to break the damn losing streak. Then they have GOT to make the damn playoffs.

I wanted LMFD to see a winning season. And a pennant race. So far, so good.

I just wish someone in the NL East would knock off the damn Braves. I do NOT want to see them in the playoffs this year. The ghost of Sid Bream still looms over this city, and it has to be exorcised. Making the playoffs should do that... but playing the Braves would reinforce it. That's bad juju we don't need.

WX7P
08-20-2013, 09:05 PM
You don't really want to know what I think of the yutzes at ESPN, do you?

It's not a question of setting my sights high. But after the August collapse two years ago, and then last years... first things first.

They have GOT to break the damn losing streak. Then they have GOT to make the damn playoffs.

I wanted LMFD to see a winning season. And a pennant race. So far, so good.

I just wish someone in the NL East would knock off the damn Braves. I do NOT want to see them in the playoffs this year. The ghost of Sid Bream still looms over this city, and it has to be exorcised. Making the playoffs should do that... but playing the Braves would reinforce it. That's bad juju we don't need.

Heh, Sid Bream. Check on that.

I actually hate the Cardinals more. LaRussa went completely out there, McGuire, that whole bit. Screw them, I want someone new.

I wish they would have re-signed Pujols, but the Angels signing him was the consolation prize. Pujols is pretty much done and the Angels owe him $100 million. Nice going, Arte.

W3WN
08-21-2013, 07:09 AM
Heh, Sid Bream. Check on that.

I actually hate the Cardinals more. LaRussa went completely out there, McGuire, that whole bit. Screw them, I want someone new.

I wish they would have re-signed Pujols, but the Angels signing him was the consolation prize. Pujols is pretty much done and the Angels owe him $100 million. Nice going, Arte.You're more than welcome on the band wagon. (Although as she will tell you -- right, Hank? -- LMFD is driving it!). Plenty of room onboard for another.

You just have to start wearing black and gold, and learn how to pronounce "Iron" (as in Iron City Beer) -- "Ahrn" is what it sounds like. And I can get you a Terrible Towel, anytime you need one.

Eight.

WX7P
08-21-2013, 07:41 AM
A's/Pirates World Series.

THAT'S the ticket.

The networks would HATE it.

wa6mhz
08-21-2013, 08:49 AM
Congrats to the Pirates for kicking the living shit out of the Padres last night! One more game for a SWEEP!

W3WN
08-21-2013, 10:23 AM
A's/Pirates World Series.

THAT'S the ticket.

The networks would HATE it.You betcha.

Here's a good one for you: The Pirates have yet to appear on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball this season.

Local rumor has it they were informed a few weeks ago that the last SNB telecast on Sept 22nd would, finally be their turn. Yea! Oh, except for one small, little detail...

You see, that's currently scheduled to be a Home game in the Afternoon. It can't be moved to the evening. Because the Steelers are playing a home game for NBC Sunday Night Football that night.

ESPN's response, allegedly? Tell the Steelers to move their game.

Please take a few minutes to ROTFL. I'm sure the Pirates brass did.

Now, when you further consider that the Steelers schedule was released months ago, and that ESPN HAD to know what it was... in short, can you say, "Set Up"? I knew you could!

WX7P
08-21-2013, 10:43 AM
You betcha.

Here's a good one for you: The Pirates have yet to appear on ESPN Sunday Night Baseball this season.

Local rumor has it they were informed a few weeks ago that the last SNB telecast on Sept 22nd would, finally be their turn. Yea! Oh, except for one small, little detail...

You see, that's currently scheduled to be a Home game in the Afternoon. It can't be moved to the evening. Because the Steelers are playing a home game for NBC Sunday Night Football that night.

ESPN's response, allegedly? Tell the Steelers to move their game.

Please take a few minutes to ROTFL. I'm sure the Pirates brass did.

Now, when you further consider that the Steelers schedule was released months ago, and that ESPN HAD to know what it was... in short, can you say, "Set Up"? I knew you could!

Great story.

That's SO typical of the Bristol Boys. Their coverage is always the same old teams, NY (both) LA, STL, Cubs, BoSox and maybe Texas and the Braves. Everyone doesn't seem to exist to them. ESPN does their main reports on them even if the teams stink.

The A's can't get ink from those guys even if they flew to Bristol and dumped a few bottles on Buster Olney's head.

I'm still an insider over there even though I think their reporting stinks at times (HMMMMM, sounds like a zed analogy for some people!). I've always been a bit of a stat head and always kept track of the transaction pages in the Sporting News and the regular newspapers. I even read the BACK of the baseball cards back in the day. Jim Bouton ruined my life.

ESPN is good for the trivia jones. I also like their rumors pages for each sport.

W3WN
08-21-2013, 01:21 PM
Hah! I KNEW there was a reason I liked you. Well, as much as I like anyone around here... :twisted:

I actually met Jim Bouton once. Before he was an infamous author.

1965. My younger brother & I are sent to "help" our father pack up his paintings etc. from an art gallery/art show he'd been exhibiting in. (Translation: Mom wanted us out of her hair, she was busy yelling at my older sister over some indiscretion & didn't want us in on it). So, we're standing around watching and doing what little we can.
Then Dad comes up to me. "You are still a Yankee fan, aren't you?"
"Uh-huh".
"Well, you see that guy standing over there" and he points to another guy packing up stuff a short distance away. "He's a pitcher for the Yankess. Go say hello to him"

Holy schneikes! A Yankee? In New Jersey?

What follows is lost in a hazy memory. He was very kind, didn't mind us at all talking to him, even a little surprised that we knew who he was (I know now that his career was on the down slope & would soon be in AAA, but I didn't know that then). He even signed an autograph for me, which was last seen buried in Dad's desk along with similar tsotchkes he "saved" for us.

Fast forward 5 years, and there's the big, big controversy over Ball Four. And there's Bouton on the Sports part of the news.
"Hey, Dad?"
"What?" (Dad was a bit brusque at times)
"That guy that they're talking about, the pitcher who wrote that book..."
"What about him?"
"Isn't that the guy we saw at that art show a few years ago, the Yankee pitcher I got the autograph from?"
Dad looks. "That's him. He needs a haircut."

Well, that was Dad.

WX7P
08-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Hah! I KNEW there was a reason I liked you. Well, as much as I like anyone around here... :twisted:

I actually met Jim Bouton once. Before he was an infamous author.

1965. My younger brother & I are sent to "help" our father pack up his paintings etc. from an art gallery/art show he'd been exhibiting in. (Translation: Mom wanted us out of her hair, she was busy yelling at my older sister over some indiscretion & didn't want us in on it). So, we're standing around watching and doing what little we can.
Then Dad comes up to me. "You are still a Yankee fan, aren't you?"
"Uh-huh".
"Well, you see that guy standing over there" and he points to another guy packing up stuff a short distance away. "He's a pitcher for the Yankess. Go say hello to him"

Holy schneikes! A Yankee? In New Jersey?

What follows is lost in a hazy memory. He was very kind, didn't mind us at all talking to him, even a little surprised that we knew who he was (I know now that his career was on the down slope & would soon be in AAA, but I didn't know that then). He even signed an autograph for me, which was last seen buried in Dad's desk along with similar tsotchkes he "saved" for us.

Fast forward 5 years, and there's the big, big controversy over Ball Four. And there's Bouton on the Sports part of the news.
"Hey, Dad?"
"What?" (Dad was a bit brusque at times)
"That guy that they're talking about, the pitcher who wrote that book..."
"What about him?"
"Isn't that the guy we saw at that art show a few years ago, the Yankee pitcher I got the autograph from?"
Dad looks. "That's him. He needs a haircut."

Well, that was Dad.

Very cool story. Jim Bouton, Iconoclast and social leper. "Hey fucking Shakespeare! What comes after ball three?"

I absolutely loved that book as a kid. The book gave me a completely different view of baseball. The book made players more human and less mythical.

I became a real stat junkie after that. I'd see a pitching line for someone on the A's that wasn't doing well overall, and I'd think "It's Des Moines (their farm team at the time) for that guy". Smoke 'em inside.

I'm not a big fan of sports memorabilia, but I do have an original signed pic of Jim Bouton in his Seattle Pilots uniform, and a signed copy of his last update.

He's someone I've always wanted to meet. Too bad about his daughter.

W3WN
08-21-2013, 02:46 PM
There was a documentary done on the Seattle Pilots, about the time of their 40th anniversary. I have a copy at home. LMFD was amazed when she saw it, as she'd never really heard of the team before.

The Brewers do not acknowledge that they started in '69 as the Pilots.

Bouton's web site offers, for a small fee, signed pictures of him as a Yankee and as a Pilot. And I think as an Astron and even a Brave, during his comeback year. I really ought to get one of those.

I'm also glad that the Yankees finally started inviting the Bulldog to Old Timer's Games again. I wish it hadn't taken the death of his daughter to accomplish that, though.

And... I have a copy of Ball Four. And I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally. In addition to (thanks to eBay) the last revision to Ball Four with the updates.

K7SGJ
08-21-2013, 06:15 PM
Very cool story. Jim Bouton, Iconoclast and social leper. "Hey fucking Shakespeare! What comes after ball three?"

I absolutely loved that book as a kid. The book gave me a completely different view of baseball. The book made players more human and less mythical.

I became a real stat junkie after that. I'd see a pitching line for someone on the A's that wasn't doing well overall, and I'd think "It's Des Moines (their farm team at the time) for that guy". Smoke 'em inside.

I'm not a big fan of sports memorabilia, but I do have an original signed pic of Jim Bouton in his Seattle Pilots uniform, and a signed copy of his last update.

He's someone I've always wanted to meet. Too bad about his daughter.

I'm a stats junkie, too. However it's not baseball so much as it is the ponies I like.

WX7P
08-21-2013, 06:44 PM
There was a documentary done on the Seattle Pilots, about the time of their 40th anniversary. I have a copy at home. LMFD was amazed when she saw it, as she'd never really heard of the team before.

The Brewers do not acknowledge that they started in '69 as the Pilots.

Bouton's web site offers, for a small fee, signed pictures of him as a Yankee and as a Pilot. And I think as an Astron and even a Brave, during his comeback year. I really ought to get one of those.

I'm also glad that the Yankees finally started inviting the Bulldog to Old Timer's Games again. I wish it hadn't taken the death of his daughter to accomplish that, though.

And... I have a copy of Ball Four. And I'm Glad You Didn't Take It Personally. In addition to (thanks to eBay) the last revision to Ball Four with the updates.

I have all those books, the last one autographed. Sarah gave it to me for Christmas one year.

I thought I'm Glad You Didn't Take it Personally was really funny.

You're right, it's too bad the death of his daughter caused the rift to be healed with the Yankees. His son, Mike, really played a big role in getting that together. It would have been far cooler without the death dynamic. I thought the rapprochement with Mickey Mantle was also very cool, before Mantle died.

Speaking of baseball books, Did you ever read "A False Spring" by Pat Jordan? If you haven't you should. It's a tremendous book.

WX7P
08-21-2013, 06:48 PM
I'm a stats junkie, too. However it's not baseball so much as it is the ponies I like.

Serous question, Rata. What's the science to handicapping?

I worked with a guy once who spent all his spare time with the racing forum and marking it up. I could never figure out what he was doing.

On the other hand, how is a horse different than any other athlete? They have track records (Hmm, I guess that's where the term came from) and have up and down days.

I went to the harness races at Cal Expo a few times. Actually won some money using the dartboard method (!).

W3WN
08-23-2013, 07:00 AM
Seven

We got an email from the Pirates last night, warning us to watch our mail for our official invitation to buy playoff tickets.

:pray:

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Serous question, Rata. What's the science to handicapping?

I worked with a guy once who spent all his spare time with the racing forum and marking it up. I could never figure out what he was doing.

On the other hand, how is a horse different than any other athlete? They have track records (Hmm, I guess that's where the term came from) and have up and down days.

I went to the harness races at Cal Expo a few times. Actually won some money using the dartboard method (!).

I used to follow the ponies very closely, but lately it's just hit and miss. I usually look at the past performance for the horse on the type of track it will be running on, and who the jockey was for a win, place or show. If a good horse has an unknown jockey, I take that into account and deduct a few points. Also, looking at the rest of the field is important too. If a winning horse has a winning jockey, at a track they both are familiar with, that's a plus. Putting combinations together is the hard part. Figuring exactas and quinellas can pay off quite well. Once I have looked at all the data, the stats, and the odds, I try to pick the prettiest horse in the field.

WX7P
08-23-2013, 05:42 PM
I used to follow the ponies very closely, but lately it's just hit and miss. I usually look at the past performance for the horse on the type of track it will be running on, and who the jockey was for a win, place or show. If a good horse has an unknown jockey, I take that into account and deduct a few points. Also, looking at the rest of the field is important too. If a winning horse has a winning jockey, at a track they both are familiar with, that's a plus. Putting combinations together is the hard part. Figuring exactas and quinellas can pay off quite well. Once I have looked at all the data, the stats, and the odds, I try to pick the prettiest horse in the field.

Interesting.

So, is all that information in the racing form or online or both?

The quinella thing is where I made the money at Cal Expo. It was very scientific. I liked the names of the horses.

When I did Hurricane Elena in 1985 in Alabama I went to the dog track. What a trippy experience that was. I'd never seen anything like it. Damn dogs chasing the mechanical rabbit and all the ole boys a whoopin' and a hollerin'. Everyone was having a good time. I won $200 that night also, which at the time was a big score for me.

I guess we'd bet on snails if they had a racing forum for them.

K7SGJ
08-23-2013, 07:35 PM
Interesting.

So, is all that information in the racing form or online or both?

The quinella thing is where I made the money at Cal Expo. It was very scientific. I liked the names of the horses.

When I did Hurricane Elena in 1985 in Alabama I went to the dog track. What a trippy experience that was. I'd never seen anything like it. Damn dogs chasing the mechanical rabbit and all the ole boys a whoopin' and a hollerin'. Everyone was having a good time. I won $200 that night also, which at the time was a big score for me.

I guess we'd bet on snails if they had a racing forum for them.

No doubt. I never got into the dogs for some reason. Don't know if it's because it's too fast, or the fact that with the horses you have to consider the horse and the jockey. All the info is in the form, but I used to pretty much know who was who with the locals, and just used the track program, and local paper, and the form for the day that I was at the track. Subscribing to it is quite expensive, and since the horses don't race here in the heat of the summer, it would be a waste for me, plus I don't follow it like I used to. I also used to do the OTB scene in Rock Springs (about 15-20 miles North of here) in the off season, but they closed that site down a few years back, and I don't frequent bars any more since I quite drinking, anyway. We still run up to Prescott Downs from time to time, and try to hit Del Mar a few times when we are in the San Diego area.

I didn't do too badly when I was really into it. I pretty much bet every race and usually used wheel bets. Those are when you think a certain horse will win and hedge your bet by doing a combination of that horse with 1,2,3 or more others for the win-place-show. It didn't pay as well as an exacta, but it was better than losing it all. When I was CE at the radio station I used to work for, I met a bookie that took care of my bets when I couldn't get to the track or an OTB site. The secret was to never over-extend yourself or bet money you couldn't cover. I was never a heavy better anyway; it was more of a paying hobby. Unlike most gaming in Vegas, at the track, you had a certain amount of control over your destiny. Kind of like Black Jack where a certain amount of skill and knowledge is most helpful for keeping your odds a little better.

W3WN
08-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Six.

The light at the end of the tunnel is visible.

Of course, we said that last year & the year before, and then the train hit us.

suddenseer
08-24-2013, 11:48 PM
Six.

The light at the end of the tunnel is visible.

Of course, we said that last year & the year before, and then the train hit us.Sorry Ron. I am old school. We old schoolers don't mention the magic number in August. Too much can happen. I hope for your YL's sake, you can exercise your option to purchase post season tix.

W3WN
08-25-2013, 11:24 AM
Sorry Ron. I am old school. We old schoolers don't mention the magic number in August. Too much can happen. I hope for your YL's sake, you can exercise your option to purchase post season tix.Understood. But you're thinking of the OTHER magic number. That's the one to clinch the division. Or at least the playoffs.

THIS magic number is to clinch a winning season. Totally different number. They get this one out of the way, then we worry about the other one.

WX7P
08-25-2013, 11:26 AM
still six.

Timmy over Francisco.

W3WN
08-25-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, Francisco had a bad night. The umps calling a foul ball "fair" in the first inning didn't help any. Nutz. Well, that's baseball.

WØTKX
08-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Well, keep wearing the same socks since the last win, and don't wash 'em. :lol:

K7SGJ
08-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, keep wearing the same socks since the last win, and don't wash 'em. :lol:

It isn't a ham fest.

suddenseer
08-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Understood. But you're thinking of the OTHER magic number. That's the one to clinch the division. Or at least the playoffs.

THIS magic number is to clinch a winning season. Totally different number. They get this one out of the way, then we worry about the other one.I'm a Red's fan, and have not really followed in some time. I have only heard of the magic number referred to the number of wins left to clinch the division. The last time I really followed it was in 1990 when the Red's won over 90 games (91). They are the only modern team to go wire to wire in first place. I remember the NL slug fest was against the Pirates. That was the team of the killer B's. Bonds, Bonilla, Bell. The 1990 Pirates beat the Reds in games won. They spanked the Reds in the regular season. Too bad about the playoffs.

W3WN
08-26-2013, 07:21 AM
I'm a Red's fan, and have not really followed in some time. I have only heard of the magic number referred to the number of wins left to clinch the division. The last time I really followed it was in 1990 when the Red's won over 90 games (91). They are the only modern team to go wire to wire in first place. I remember the NL slug fest was against the Pirates. That was the team of the killer B's. Bonds, Bonilla, Bell. The 1990 Pirates beat the Reds in games won. They spanked the Reds in the regular season. Too bad about the playoffs.Back in the days when there were only 2 divisions, the Reds were in the NL West (as were the Braves, go figure...) the Pirates in the NL East.

1990 was a disappointment, but they figured "we'll get 'em next year" "Next year" was the Braves. As was 92, but we knew in 92 that the team was about to be dismantled, and there were going to be a few lean years ahead. Nobody expected the lean years to last 20.

suddenseer
08-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Back in the days when there were only 2 divisions, the Reds were in the NL West (as were the Braves, go figure...) the Pirates in the NL East.

1990 was a disappointment, but they figured "we'll get 'em next year" "Next year" was the Braves. As was 92, but we knew in 92 that the team was about to be dismantled, and there were going to be a few lean years ahead. Nobody expected the lean years to last 20.Yes, I think St. Louis was in the NL East, being west of Cincy, and Atlanta. I remember John Smiley was a almost perfect when facing the Red's. I think he was traded to the Twins. He later ended his career in Cincy. By then, he was washed up as a pitcher. It seems when the Red's bring in the big gun free agents, they fall apart right after putting on the Red's uniform. I must say that the Red's have managed to take their division, and make it to the playoffs. To bad, that's when their steam is gone. That Philly no-hitter a few years back still stings. :oops:

W3WN
08-28-2013, 09:19 PM
FIVE.

With about 30 games to go in the season. In the immortal words of Phil Rizzuto, "Holy Cow! I think he's going to make it!"

Our envelope came from the Pirates. We have until a week from Friday... combo of Wild Card/NLDS/NLCS tickets and, dare I say it ("dare! dare!") WS tickets. The WS tickets are about triple the current (non Season Ticket Holder) price for our regular seats, the rest about double.

The boss & I talked about it tonight, but I pretty much knew what she was going to say. We're all in.

I figure if we can't make a game night for some reason, we can always scalp resell the tickets. The demand will be there. (And any unused tickets, for games not played... we get credit towards next year's season tickets, so one way or another, the money is spent)

W3WN
08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
Oh, I should add that Little Miss Field Day is mad at me right now. (she'll get over it)

First, one of her favorite players, Josh Harrison #5, had a few hits during a rare start -- made the most of it, scored a few runs and kept some rally's going. He's a touch over my height, and even though he's one of the shortest players on the team, he towers over her. So, of COURSE, I had to make a few jokes... like him hitting a run scoring SHORT single... playing SMALL ball...

Second, new ex-Met Marlon Byrd #2 made a huge impact tonight. The obvious avian jokes commenced. Now, you have to realize that her role a couple of years ago in the school play, Seussical, was as: Bird Girl #1. So, the puns were on, starting with Marlon not just leaving the Mets, but flying the coop... right through the last out (which he caught), a FLY ball...

But the killer? Well, we just watched yesterday Monty Python & the Holy Grail, so, of COURSE, I had to tell her that Marlon Byrd had joined The Knights Who Say "Nee!", when he hit a 3 run homer into... the Shrubbery....

K7SGJ
08-28-2013, 09:26 PM
FIVE.

With about 30 games to go in the season. In the immortal words of Phil Rizzuto, "Holy Cow! I think he's going to make it!"

Our envelope came from the Pirates. We have until a week from Friday... combo of Wild Card/NLDS/NLCS tickets and, dare I say it ("dare! dare!") WS tickets. The WS tickets are about triple the current (non Season Ticket Holder) price for our regular seats, the rest about double.

The boss & I talked about it tonight, but I pretty much knew what she was going to say. We're all in.

I figure if we can't make a game night for some reason, we can always scalp resell the tickets. The demand will be there. (And any unused tickets, for games not played... we get credit towards next year's season tickets, so one way or another, the money is spent)

You'll be know as "The Barber of PA".

NA4BH
08-28-2013, 10:22 PM
It isn't a ham fest.

But they still serve pork and beans.

W3WN
08-28-2013, 10:55 PM
But they still serve pork and beans.The hell we do.

Try Italian Roast Beef sandwiches and Haluski.

NA4BH
08-28-2013, 10:57 PM
The hell we do.

Try Italian Roast Beef sandwiches and Haluski.

You could fuel half the Air Force with that.

ETA: I farted just thinking about that

W3WN
08-29-2013, 08:19 AM

ETA: I farted just thinking about thatAnd now you know why that's served for lunch. By the time nature takes it's course, most everyone is on their way home.

(We have a caterer run the kitchen at WASHFest. He used to run a sandwich shop, over the years he built up the catering side and sold the storefront... still comes to our event though. He makes money, we have good food, everyone's happy)

K7SGJ
08-29-2013, 09:37 AM

ETA: I farted just thinking about that

So..................that was you huh? I still can't my dog to come out from under the couch. Ya pharty bastid

W3WN
08-30-2013, 10:20 PM
FOUR

suddenseer
08-31-2013, 09:24 PM
The excitement mounts.

W3WN
09-01-2013, 12:22 AM
THREE.

And this city is beginning to believe
-------------
PNC was packed tonight. Attendance was over 39,500 -- and a lot of those tickets were SRO. For once, I don't think most of those people were there to hear the band after the game -- which would have been the case as late as 3 years ago.

The brooms will be out Sunday.
-------------
LMFD was not in a good mood before the game. The Pirates made a trade with the Twins for their 1st Baseman, Justin Morneau, which is a big uprade for the Bucs. But they gave up one of their up-and-down outfielders, Alex "Elvis" Presley. He was one of her favorite players. When I broke the news to her, she broke into tears on the spot and then spent about 45 minutes in her room crying. Thing is, this is good for Alex; he's not a bad outfielder, but there's no space for him on the team anymore. Now he's back in the Major Leagues and should be playing daily. I hope he does well; he will be missed.
-------------
Speaking of which... some of you guys may remember a picture I posted of her last year, while we were on vacation in OCMD. We turned it into a T-Shirt for her:
She got a lot of positive comments on it, including from some of the guys in the bullpen. She's planning on wearing it to school. For years, she's been razzed (and not always nicely) from some of the kids for being a Pirates fan. "Why can't you be a Steelers fan like everyone else?" Of course, NOW they're all Big Time Baseball Fans. Yeah, right. Well, this is her answer to them...

W3WN
09-02-2013, 04:13 PM
TWO

K7SGJ
09-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Hurry hurry, the fuse is burning

suddenseer
09-02-2013, 06:59 PM
It looks like a 3 team fight for the division title, and then a closer fight for the wild card. I would not rule out the Red's just yet. They have serious issues facing St. Louis. They have been known to be farther behind this time of the month, and still clinch the division. Of course, they cannot make it past the first round. It looks like a definite shoe in for 2 of the 3 teams for post season play.

On edit: It appears the Red's won today at home against St. Louis. Three games behind means they are still in the race.

WX7P
09-02-2013, 07:46 PM
A's beat Tejas today. Tied for first place.

I'll have to gloat when I talk to my daughter's boyfriend tonight as he's a big Rangers fan.

Heh, heh, heh.

W3WN
09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
It looks like a 3 team fight for the division title, and then a closer fight for the wild card. I would not rule out the Red's just yet. They have serious issues facing St. Louis. They have been known to be farther behind this time of the month, and still clinch the division. Of course, they cannot make it past the first round. It looks like a definite shoe in for 2 of the 3 teams for post season play.

On edit: It appears the Red's won today at home against St. Louis. Three games behind means they are still in the race.It is not out of the realm of possibility that all 3 of the top teams in the NL Central will make the playoffs. The order of finish will be interesting, to say the least... assuming that none of the 3 fade in this last month.

My son is hoping that the Nationals, newly resurgent, will catch the Reds for the 2nd NL Wild Card. It would take a tremendous collapse for them to catch the Braves. His big fear is that the Wild Card game would be the Nats vs the Pirates.

It's fun though. The last time a Pirates team had at least 80 wins in the season? 1992.

Heck... the Sunday papers tell you something. Last Saturday was the kick-off for college football. The front page of the Sports section? Pirates, Pirates and all Pirates... the college teams weren't even mentioned until somewhere around Page 10. When did that last happen? Damned if I know, but even in the years of the NL East Division Championship, the Pirates might have been the lead story -- but the whole front page?

W3WN
09-03-2013, 10:16 PM
ONE

And the 20 year losing streak is OVER. The WORST the Pirates can do now is finish at exactly .500.

Not going to happen.

suddenseer
09-04-2013, 04:31 AM
ONE

And the 20 year losing streak is OVER. The WORST the Pirates can do now is finish at exactly .500.

Not going to happen.If it keeps going the way it snow, the REAL magic number will mean something probably the last week of the season. This seems to be an exciting season for the NL Central. Congrats on being a Bucs fan when last place was common. Funny thing is, I remember a guy initiating a thread like this:

https://forums.hamisland.net/showthread.php/26097-Doomed

W3WN
09-04-2013, 07:00 AM
Oh, the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx hit, all right. I simply misjudged the target & the impact.

It didn't hit the team, at least not directly. It hit the guy on the cover; right after SI printed that, Jason Grilli got hurt and was out for 7 weeks. He's healed and back with the team, activated as of yesterday, but not yet reinstated as the closer... they're transitioning him back into the bullpen.

W3WN
09-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Guess what?

And I thought the Boys In Bristol didn't like the Pirates. Now this:
Oh dear. And we just got Grilli back, too.

Now I'm worried.

suddenseer
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Good thing SI did not use terms like , "unstoppable". We all know what that does to a first place team.

W3WN
09-04-2013, 02:22 PM
According to a blog on MLB.COM, here are the real Magic Numbers, as of this afternoon:
The Pirates' magic number at making the playoffs is 15. Any combination of Pirates wins and Washington Nationals or Arizona Diamondbacks losses equaling 15 will give the Pirates their first playoff appearance since 1992.

The Pirates' magic number for winning the National League Central and thus clinching a first-round "bye" in the playoffs is 23. Any combination of Pirates wins and Cardinals losses equaling 23 -- as well as any combination of Pirates wins and Reds losses equaling 21 or, for that matter, any combination of Pirates wins and Cubs losses equaling 2 -- will clinch the Pirates' first-ever National League Central title.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 05:30 PM
According to a blog on MLB.COM, here are the real Magic Numbers, as of this afternoon:
The Pirates' magic number at making the playoffs is 15. Any combination of Pirates wins and Washington Nationals or Arizona Diamondbacks losses equaling 15 will give the Pirates their first playoff appearance since 1992.

The Pirates' magic number for winning the National League Central and thus clinching a first-round "bye" in the playoffs is 23. Any combination of Pirates wins and Cardinals losses equaling 23 -- as well as any combination of Pirates wins and Reds losses equaling 21 or, for that matter, any combination of Pirates wins and Cubs losses equaling 2 -- will clinch the Pirates' first-ever National League Central title.

Man, this is complex enough to become a table game in Vegas.

W3WN
09-04-2013, 07:17 PM
Man, this is complex enough to become a table game in Vegas.According to the pre-game show tonight, the Vegas bookmaker odds of the Pirates winning the World Series this year are 11:1. (The Cardinals have the same odds)

Place your bets!

suddenseer
09-04-2013, 07:47 PM
I remember when the Red's took it all in 1990, the same oddsmakers gave 400:1 odds on opening day. By Sept 1 it was down to 40:1. I believe the Bucs, and Oakland A's were playing .600 ball, and the Red's like .580. They were leading the "weak" western div. of the National League.

K7SGJ
09-04-2013, 09:01 PM
According to the pre-game show tonight, the Vegas bookmaker odds of the Pirates winning the World Series this year are 11:1. (The Cardinals have the same odds)

Place your bets!

Damn, that'd be worth throwing a ten spot down on each of them.

suddenseer
09-05-2013, 04:15 AM
Another baseball betting odds making source:

http://www.vegasinsider.com/mlb/odds/futures/

suddenseer
09-08-2013, 12:49 PM
Last night before I went to bed, the Buc's Dodger's, and Reds were all at 81 wins. This morning, the Buc's just cannot seem to get that elusive win. Maybe tonight. Cheer up Ron, so far this year the Red's totally suck playing at Pittsburg. However, the season ends with the Buc's playing at Cincinnati. This year, they are 4/3 against the Buc's at home. They were terrible against the Card's anywhere, and the last series they were 3/1. Everything has changed. For the balance of the season, every game will be VERY important. Anything can happen at this point. I can safely predict that at least two of the top three teams in the NL Central will see post season play. The odds makers do not see the Red's doing very well right now.

W3WN
09-09-2013, 09:48 PM
http://www.blackngoldgirls.com/assets/images/jollyrogerwithredbandana.gif

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!!!!

They finally did it. Took 5 games... I guess it took that long to shake of the SI Cover jinx. But win 82 has finally, finally come.

The boss is happy. LMFD is happy. LucyFurr wants a treat... well, some things never change.

Now the milepost has been passed. On to: The Division!

WX7P
09-09-2013, 10:16 PM

RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!!!!

They finally did it. Took 5 games... I guess it took that long to shake of the SI Cover jinx. But win 82 has finally, finally come.

The boss is happy. LMFD is happy. LucyFurr wants a treat... well, some things never change.

Now the milepost has been passed. On to: The Division!

TNX for dumping the Rangers.

A's up by 2

I hope the buccos sweep

suddenseer
09-10-2013, 08:09 AM
It is a good day in the W3WN household. Good times!8)

W3WN
09-11-2013, 06:56 PM
TNX for dumping the Rangers.

A's up by 2

I hope the buccos sweepThey did, as of this afternoon.

The goal is still the NL Central Division. The next milepost enroute...

As of tonight, the new Magic Number is 10 to clinch the playoffs.

W3WN
09-12-2013, 08:51 PM
NINE

Got home from the club meeting tonight just in time to watch the end of the game (replay at midnight)

Tonight was the Pirates first home game since clinching a winning season. When they took the field, they got a 2 minute standing ovation from the crowd. Nice! And if the crowd does it again tomorrow night... we'll be there standing & applauding with everyone else.

W3WN
09-14-2013, 11:23 PM
EIGHT

NA4BH
09-14-2013, 11:29 PM
NINE

Got home from the club meeting tonight just in time to watch the end of the game (replay at midnight)

Hope they still win

W3WN
09-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Hope they still winThey did, Thursday night. Lost Friday night in late innings. Won last night, to put them back into a tie for 1st place.

And the #3 contender for the last Wild Card spot lost, which makes the Magic Number to clinch the playoffs now SEVEN

W3WN
09-15-2013, 03:31 PM
SIX

Tomorrow, the Padres come into town for 4 games.

Sorry Pat. We're just going to have to beat them.

W3WN
09-19-2013, 02:55 PM
FOUR

Things have not gone well the last few days. The Padres have never lost a series in PNC Park since it opened, and they won the first 3 games of 4, ratzafratzen dagnabit. The boys in black & gold have been feeling the pressure... and since this is the first time for most of them, well, it's not gone as well as hoped. A rare blown save for Mark the Shark last night -- 4 straight bloop singles into right field, with 2 outs yet in the 9th...

(yeah, I missed Five last night... too disappointed after last night's blown save to post anything)

But today they got their act together. Finally. The boss will be happy tonight.

The weekend series will be tough... the 3rd place Reds come to town. Lately, they've been hot, the Buccos, not.
-------------
On a totally different note, tomorrow night's game ought to be fun. One of the owners called me into his office yesterday. Gave me 4 tickets to the Lexus Club seats behind Home Plate. And I mean, right behind Home Plate. Tickets include a (free) buffet in the Lexus Club before the game, and all you can eat/drink (except booze) from a limited menu, from the start of the game through the 7th inning.

I am bringing the camera!!

W3WN
09-21-2013, 11:19 PM
THREE

Friday night's loss was a tough one to take. Two errors (officially one, but in reality two) with 2 outs in the 9th inning led to a blown save & a tie game... ruined what otherwise a great night behind the plate (yes, I have pictures). Created a tie for 2nd place, 2 games back of first, with 8 games to play.

The Pirates had to shut this loss out and win tonight, like nothing had happened. They did. 4 - 2 over the Reds, with our starting pitcher getting 12 strikeouts, and the return of Jason "Grilled Cheese" Grilli as the closer.

One more regular season home game, tomorrow afternoon. The SAC will just have to do without me. Still an outside shot of clinching the playoffs at home -- Pirates have to win, and the Nationals have to lose 2 games; since they were rained out today, I suspect they'll have a double-header tomorrow. But, never mind that... with 7 games to go, the Pirates can clinch the playoffs, and they still have a slim shot at the Division. We shall see..

W3WN
09-23-2013, 09:40 PM
TWO

Pirates blew it yesterday. Starting pitcher gave up 5 runs in the top of the 1st. Less said about that, the better... we got to witness it.

However, the Nationals split a double header, so that drops the number.

Let's see how tonight's games go...

I may be out $700 bucks.

W3WN
09-23-2013, 09:53 PM
ONE

2 - 1 Pirates, with a dramatic out at the plate to end the game.
Nationals are losing, bottom of the 8th.
Reds were tied in the 10th, last I heard.

Yeah, I may be out over $700 sometime in the next 20 minutes. I don't think I'm going to mind a bit.

W3WN
09-23-2013, 10:07 PM
http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/265/167/starling-marte_original.jpg

NA4BH
09-23-2013, 10:16 PM
Tickets for everybody?

W3WN
09-23-2013, 10:29 PM
Tickets for everybody?Of course. All three of us are going.

NA4BH
09-23-2013, 10:35 PM
You, me, and who else. :lol:

Have a great time.

W3WN
09-23-2013, 10:39 PM
I don't believe what I just heard, in the post-game interviews...
Absa-buckin'-lootely. I'll say it right: Absa-buckin'-lootely!3 will get you 2 that that's the headline on at least one of the morning papers...

My son's not talking to us. He'll get over it.

W3WN
09-23-2013, 10:41 PM
You, me, and who else. :lol:

Have a great time.Nice try. Technically, the tickets are in the boss's name. You're going to have to charm HER out of them.

Ask Hank. He found out on the 4th of July. It took a major nose-bleed from LMFD to pull my wife out of her seat during a game!

W2NAP
09-24-2013, 01:09 AM
looks like the Pirates are in. now can they go all the way?

suddenseer
09-24-2013, 05:36 AM
The Red's are tied with the Pirates, and have clinched as well. I hope they don't do their customary post season lay down.

W3WN
09-25-2013, 10:17 AM
looks like the Pirates are in. now can they go all the way?Sure hope so!

Our tickets came yesterday. They shipped us the whole set, including the tie-breaker game (if needed) through the World Series games (if played). Nice.

The owner's secretary (she refuses to call herself his "administrative assistant") got his set yesterday as well. She also got a small assortment of SRO tickets for each of the games. She told me that the day & hour that "remaining extra" tickets went on sale, it took her 10 minutes to get through... and that that's all that was left.
-------
Cover of this week's free paper:
Pretty much says it all!

W2NAP
09-25-2013, 12:43 PM
couple decades is a long time to wait

W3WN
09-28-2013, 05:44 PM

The Pirates entered play on Friday 3 games back of the Cardinals for the Division. Odds not in their favor... they had to win all three games, and have St.Louis lose all three games... to the last place Cubs... for a tie for the Division. Oddsmakers said there was a .5% chance of that happening, and 99.5% chance that St. Louis would take the NL Central Division.

Last night, the Pirates won. But, so did the Cardinals, so the division is theirs.

But... there was still won fight left to win. They also started Friday night tied with the Reds for the NL Wild Cards. If the Pirates won 2 out of 3, they'd get the #1 seed and a WC playoff game at PNC Park. Lose 2 out of 3, they stay in Cincinnati to play at the Reds on Tuesday night.

Like I said, they won last night.
http://db66abc2c256b763aaef-ce5d943d4869ae027976e5ad085dd9b0.r76.cf2.rackcdn.c om/2013/270/924/pedro-alvarez_original.jpg
And they won today. On National TV yet. Convincingly. Pedro Alvaraez hits a NL Leading 37th Home Run -- and got his 100th RBI for the season. Neil Walker got two HR's. Overall, a well played game.

So, what does this mean?

Tuesday night... Little Miss Field Day will, for the first time ever, witness October baseball at PNC Park. We've got a playoff game to win!!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

W2NAP
09-28-2013, 05:59 PM
:cheers::cool2: